• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahh family divisions, they seem to plague Romanion

I, too, am waiting for Basileia's reaction. She's too conniving a character to stay quiet for much longer.

Last edited:
Romanion will face a reckoning soon...again...

canonized - Royal children are always enmeshed in the affairs of state... Basilieos and Niketas are no different.

Lord Valentine - Well, keep in mind Basilieos is very young. Perhaps later on he might understand the importance of such things fully (Nikolaios did at that age, but then again, Nikolaios was a prodigy). If he still doesn't, he would definitely make a different sort of Emperor - though some of his disinterest will shortly be explained.

jordarkelf - Glad you like it! Welcome to the AAR!

Estonianzulu - Demetrios dealt with it, with the help of Nikolaios. Manuel is cut from a completely different cloth, however, and he only has himself to rely on, so Basiliea's plans are far more dangerous than those of Hajnal...

English Patriot - Thats what happens when the royal family ballons and had six legitimized branches, all spawning like mad. As well as an Empire with a long history of dubious inheritances. Everyone of the Komnenids can argue that according to tradition, they have just as much right to the throne as any of the others. End result - chaos. :)

VILenin - Oh, she's not going to stay quiet... not at all...

Enewald - Maybe... it depends on Basiliea's plans and how well they're carried out, I suppose.

Fulcrumvale - Romanion has faced its reckoning too many times to count and has emerged scarred but wiser. Though Romanion has never had a Norman Empress be the cause of that reckoning, so we shall see...

I'm working on the next update, which might be broken into parts. Look for the first part to be up either tonight or tomorrow.

Though, in truth, is a Hungarian empress really all that different from a Norman one?

Fulcrumvale - Point. :)

TC Pilot - Glad to see you're still around. Why isn't the story as entertaining? Just Manuel as a character?

Well, the next update has proven too large, so its been split into two parts. Part one is below - look for Part Two to be posted Sunday or Monday.

manuelbannerbackgroundcopy.jpg

Zeno Komnenos decided that he hated parties.

The servants were still cleaning his personal villa outside of Taranto after the second of two lavish welcoming parties. The first, three days ago, had been for Empress Basiliea and her two children – Niketas and Basilieos. Already, Zeno had formed an opinion on both children. Basilieos was rather bratty, whiny and snobbish, while Niketas was quiet, constantly looking, constantly observing. Which, in Zeno’s mind, make Niketas more dangerous. He was likely to grow into a Manuel or a Nikolaios. Zeno expected Basilieos to grow into a Romanos at best.

The second party held only last night was for the arrival of Basiliea’s father, Duke Godfrey of Campania. The good duke was so corpulent that he needed a litter to carry him about, and unfortunately he brought a bevy of servants, pages and slaves with him – all of whom Zeno had been forced to scramble to find quarters for. It had been a huge mess, and all for the Empress to plot.

That much was obvious.

In the courtyard below, Zeno ignored the hustle and bustle of his own servants, and instead followed one particular man that Godfrey had brought along. He was slightly paunchy, with a head shocked full of gray and hands filled with papers. It was easy to guess that he was headed to ‘meeting’ between father and daughter.

Oh, Godfrey and Basiliea thought themselves clever. Yet Zeno was a Komnenos, and like any good member of his family, he had spies everywhere. Father and daughter were, officially, spending alone time with each other in the gardens, before meeting to discuss Basiliea’s inheritance of Campania.

Zeno knew better. Basiliea had long been upset with her husband for his naked theft of the Kingdom of Sicily. Godfrey wanted said crown before his long life was finally ended. Basiliea was in disfavor, with two sons she loved dearly. Zeno’s mind clearly saw where that road was headed.

Zeno closed his eyes, and felt a headache coming on. It was obvious what they were ‘meeting’ about, and the Komnennid prince had no doubt that the elderly “manservant” that was huffing and puffing in the gardens below was no servant. That man’s Greek was far better than what should be known to someone with a German name, and he was middle-aged, far too old for a good manservant.

Besides, Zeno would have recognized Giuseppe Rimini anywhere, no matter how good or foul the disguise.

cardinal_thomas_wolsey.jpg

Archbishop, later Cardinal Guiseppe Rimini

That made Zeno chuckle slightly. He’d kept tabs on Rimini, and had genuinely been fond of the man during their negotiations in Rome long ago. Part of the Logothetes mind wished Rimini was Greek, and serving Romanion – he would have made a helpful friend and ally. Sadly, he was now a Cardinal, and some of Zeno’s men said that Rimini’s name, despite the failure of the plans to keep Romanion out of Italy, was on the short list for Pope. Consequently, he wasn’t a friend of Romanion, and thus Zeno.

The Logothetes sighed. “Watch and wait,” Zeno said to no one in particular. If Basiliea’s plotting weakened his cousin, Zeno could make a move. If her plotting was foolish, Zeno could position himself to expose her, gain the trust of many, and be in a better position to strike later on.

In the meantime, something had to be done about Basiliea’s children…

“Cousin Zeno, if I’m correct?” a high pitched, nasally child’s voice said behind him. Zeno almost jumped out of his skin, and spun around to see Prince Basilieos standing before him, still clad in traveling garments, an impish look on his face.

“Yes. Basilieos, if I remember right?” Zeno smiled thinly.

“Aren’t you supposed to be a busy man, instead of standing in the middle of the corridor looking out the window?” the Prince asked.

Zeno growled. Not only did the boy stand between him and the crown, he evidently now wished to annoy his cousin. “I was taking a short break, but yes, in fact, I am quite busy.” Brusquely, the Logothetes of Apulia turned and began to walk down the corridor. Small footsteps started echoing his own.

“Mama says you’re a spider,” Basilieos said simply.

Zeno sighed, and merely shook his head. “Do you see eight legs coming from my body?” He started to walk faster, and to his surprise his pursuer kept up.

“No.”

“Do you think I eat flies and other bugs?”

“No.”

“Then I cannot possibly be a spider. Run along to your,” Zeno waved his hand about as he tried to think of the word, “tutoring, or something.”

“No, I don’t want to,” Basilieos declared. “Tutoring is boring, swordplay is boring, following you is far more interesting. What is your job in Apulia, Mr. Spider? Papa must think highly of you to put you in power, what with all the nasty things Mama says. ”

Zeno rolled his eyes as his own personal tormentor continued to follow him through the palace. “I am Logothetes to Prince Robert de Hauteville, I advise him on policy and act as Regent while he is away. And yes,” Zeno added with an ironic smile, “Your father does trust me, a great deal. Now run along.”

“Why?” Basilieos pressed. “Did you fight alongside him? Save his life?”

“In a way, yes. Your father and mine were poisoned together, I found them and called the chirugeons,” Zeno grabbed some papers from a passing servant and attempted to make a look of being busy as he continued to stalk the corridors. To his chagrin, his seven year old shadow didn’t get the message.

“No wonder father trusts you,” the young Prince said in wonder. “Have you served on a battlefield?”

“Twice,” Zeno hissed, loudly shifting the parchments in his hands.

“Really?!” The young prince’s shriek of excitement made Zeno’s heart sink. “Tell me all about it!”

It was going to be a long three weeks. Just as he was about to blast the boy for annoying him, Zeno came upon an idea to get the miscreant to go away.

“What was the Megos’ fifth rule of strategy on the battlefield?” Zeno stopped and asked.

The young prince looked at him blankly.

“Once you read your grandfather’s Strategikon, the whole thing, and you can give me the answer, I’ll tell you about the Battle of Carthage.”

Zeno smiled as, without a word, Basilieos turned and bolted down the hallway.

==================== ====================​

Rimini closed his eyes as he felt one of the parchments slipping. Desperate fingers twisted and somehow managed to grab the errant piece of paperwork. Normally the Cardinal would have had aides to carry all of this for him, but in his current guise, that would not do. No lowly priest named Helmuth Kranke would have a bevy of aides surrounding him.

Not that Rimini would trust those aides with what he was carrying.

A quick glance showed the letter of receipt in the name of Drogo, First of that Name, King of France was still within his grasp. Whoever said coin ruled the world had forgotten that paper recorded who owed what coin to whom. Names, dates, payments, promissory notes – all the details the Empress and her father would need later that day. In a way, Rimini surprised himself with the deviousness of carrying them in the open.

kappadokiakingoffrancemad.jpg

Mad King Drogo of France, ruler of a crumbling state. In the absence of the King’s mental faculties, his son Hugh reigns as Regent – and has been in communication with the Pope.

No one would stop a clearly harried priest carrying a huge amount of papers, and should he actually drop one, no one would bat an eyebrow if out of modesty he refused help carrying them.

His Holiness had remained well informed through the past seven years. Hermann had boxed the Papacy in with his treachery – the Pope had of course in return reneged on the promised excommunications, and Rimini had seen to it that several of the more prominent German barons had received word from the Vatican that Innocent would not bat an eye if revolts were to spring up against Hermann.

Yet the Eastern Emperor was a far more dangerous issue. His ambition for Rome was obvious, and only in the last year had his ambition for the Christian Church itself become apparent. Rimini – indeed, any indolent fool – knew that the Holy Synod called by Ecumenical Patriarch Gennadius was wholly and utterly the Emperor’s idea.

The topic of discussion – creating and seating a new Patriarchate for Tunisia, Mauretania, and Spain.

It didn’t matter that Tunisia was the only section of the domain that was Orthodox. Mauretania was wholly in the hands of the Saracens, save several Christian enclaves seized a decade ago by Crusade. It didn’t matter either that the parts of Spain that weren’t in Moorish hands followed the Roman liturgies. Emperor Manuel wanted another Patriarchate – with the likely goal of gaining complete control over Church doctrine.

Patriarchatescopy.jpg

The official divisions within the Christian World as of 1152. Rome is the head of all of Latin Europe, while Constantinople is the head of all churches in Greece, Anatolia, the Caucasus, and the Russias. Jerusalem is the head of all churches in Palestine and Arabia, Antioch heads all churches in Syria and the East, while Alexandria heads all the Churches in Africa. The Proposed Patriarchate of Carthage is shown in Orange. Dark Brown is land that the Synod proposal would give to the proposed Patriarchate of Carthage, despite claims from Rome. Bright Purple are disputed lands between the Patriarchs of Rome and Constantinople.

In light of this obvious ends, as well as the palpable and deep friction between East and West, Innocent had refused to recognize the legitimacy of the Synod, and obviously wouldn’t be in attendance. Rimini had contacts that indicated that the Patriarch of Jerusalem was not pleased either. Empress Basiliea had mentioned via letter that she had pertinent news on that front.

The very thought made Rimini shiver – Chuch doctrine for nearly half the Christian world would fall into the hands of one secular lord. A secular lord that had proven himself duplicitous at best, and murderous at worst. There was a reason the Papacy clung so harshly to its independence – only the spiritual is able to judge the spiritual. Even the greatest king could fall astray and use the Church as a convenient means to back his earthly goals.

Rimini uttered a short prayer, both for the future of the Church, and so he didn’t come close to dropping any more of his parchments. He only had to cross the main atrium of the villa, and then climb a small set of stairs to where the meeting was to take place in two hours time…

Meanwhile

Basilieos squinted, and looked at the sentence again. The letters seemed to be jumbled, and it took him forever to parse them apart to understand what the sentence said.

“A great general will, at all times, know his position relative to that of his enemy. If a general knows this, he can select when, where, and how battle will be fought,” Basilieos glacially read. “He can set up ambuscades, and whittle down a superior force. This is the fifth rule of war.”

The prince rubbed his eyes, then looked out the window of his temporary quarters. The sun was already low in the West, and Basilieos sighed. It was already six o’clock – he’d spent an hour parsing those two pages. The book was immensely interesting, but this would never do.

The Prince shoved away from the desk, and ran out into the hallway. Rounding a corner, he saw a older man, overloaded with scrolls and parchments, making his way down the corridor.

“You there!” Basilieos mimicked his father’s shout when he wanted the boys to stop doing something and pay attention. The man stopped dead in his tracks and turned.

villa.jpg

Zeno’s villa outside of Taranto, as seen from the gardens crossed by Rimini

“I am rather busy, child,” the man said testily, his eyes and voice hard.

At that last word, the hairs on the back of Basilieos’ neck stood on end. He stamped his foot in rage. “I am no child! I am Basilieos Komnenos, Prince of Thrace! You will show me proper respect!” he barked, and even at age seven, his voice had a sharp icy tone of command. Or so the Prince thought.

Instantly the man’s countenance changed.

Basilieos recognized the first emotion on the man’s face – surprise. The second, confused him – it was almost as if the man was happy to see him. The young prince couldn’t remember seeing this man before.

“Pardon me, Your Highess,” he bowed, and a parchment tumbled from his grasp onto the floor.

“Can you read Greek?” Basilieos barked. He decided to ignore whatever that man was feeling. He wanted to read the Strategikon!

“Yes,” the man nodded.

“Come with me,” Basilieos imperiously turned, and walked back to his quarters, the man trailing behind. “I need someone to help me read the great Strategikon. I shall forgive you your insolence, if you tell me your name.”

“My name?” the man asked. “Helmuth Kranke, I am a priest in the service of Lord de Hauteville.”

“And what are those?” Basilieos pointed at all the parchments and scrolls.

“These are Papal bulls and liturgies,” the man said. Basilieos thought he saw the man’s eyes give a nervous tick, and felt something cold on the back of his neck. Being seven, however, the young Prince couldn’t fathom why someone would lie to him.

“Heretical things,” Basilieos said simply. To his surprise, the man laughed quietly.

“So quick to dismiss them! They are filled with words inspired by the Divine, and are meant for the betterment of mankind. The Pope, like the Patriarch, works to secure the Kingdom of Christ on Earth.”

Basilieos mulled over the words for a second – they went contrary to what his father always said, but ran far closer to his mother’s. He decided to let the poor Latin’s heresy stand for now. “Well, set those aside,” Basilieos said as they arrived at his quarters. “You will read the Strategikon to me,” he pointed to the immense tome.

The man looked quizzically at Basilieos for a second, before nodding – there was a twinkle in his eye. “Majesty, I would say though that it will be impossible to read this whole tome in one day. Even if my master wasn’t expecting me, we could spend all night reading it and still not be halfway through. May I humbly suggest we read a small part now, and I return tomorrow and the day after to continue the process until we are finished?”

Basilieos frowned, but couldn’t find an adequate reason to refuse him. “Very well.”

The man smiled, and sat down. His fingers started to drum incessantly against the desk as he asked, “Now, Majesty, where shall we begin?”

“Right there,” the prince pointed where he had stopped reading.

“Ah… the fifth rule of war. Your grandfather was an honorable man, from what I’ve heard,” the priest mused.

“Really?” Basilieos was instantly hooked. He’d heard all the stories of the Megos there were to tell in Konstantinopolis. What new tales could this German tell?

“Honorable, just and brave. Unlike certain rulers who now occupy thrones,” the priest said with a sigh. He ran his finger along the page and began to read. At pertinent points, he added his own commentary, much to Basilieos’ delight. Little did the prince realize what poisons were being placed into his mind…

========== ===========

normal_ink-quill.jpg

Sometimes words and teaching can be more effective than the sword. While Zeno bides his time, Rimini befriends the titular heir to the throne. What exactly are the plans of Basiliea, Godfrey and Rimini (its obvious they want the throne, how do they plan to get it?) ? Find out when Part 2 of this update appears in Rome AARisen!

Last edited:
Messy business with Spain and Mauretania . But it wouldn't be new in those areas ; religious strife is always rife there with the Muslims beforehand and the Arians before them . It's a pity =( , poor Latin Europe - gives it a hug -

Excellent as always. But you misunderstand. I didn't say it was less entertaining, I said it was less enjoyable. I don't like Manuel as a person, and since you write characters so well, it has an effect.

It's like Caligula's reign in I, Claudius: still good, but not as enjoyable...

If that makes sense.

Oh it looks like Zeno and Rimini could "poison" young Basileios mind with ideas of duty, honour, glory and perhaps even a bit of chivalry, in a joint effort. Ideas that are bound to lead him into conflict with his father. Intriguing! :)

~Lord Valentine~

canonized - Religious strife isn't anything new to Mauretania and North Africa - though I'm sure Manuel's plan to "stuff the Patriarchate" (like FDR tried to "stuff the bench" of the US Supreme Court) isn't going to help things any.

TC Pilot - Ah, I understand now! :) Makes perfect sense.

Enewald - So befriending Basilieos and telling him some of the truth about his father is evil? I'll admit, calling Demetrios Megos an "honorable" man is stretching things that shouldn't be stretched, but Manuel is a devious cad... what remains to be seen is if this friendship lasts, and if Rimini's words have an effect...

Lord Valentine - Hehehe... yes, "poison" his mind. :) If he implants those ideas, Basilieos might make an excellent knight. The question is, is a chivalrous knight what Romanion needs?

Basilieos and Niketas, as well as young Demetrios son of Manuel (the game liked that name, almost every Emperor had a child named Demetrios) will become very relevant in the coming updates. And let's just say some of their stats might end up ridiculously surprising...

Oh and as a side note, I'm working on a series of articles for Instrumentality on the Military Revolution - the change in European armies in the 15th, 16th, and 17th centuries away from small feudal forces to huge standing armies with bureaucratic support and backup. The introduction to the series was supposed to be in the AARLander, but I don't know what happened to that. Go check it out!

Finally, the second part of the update will include several of my ongoing homages to other AARs... so you'll have to check in and see which ones they are! Next update, btw, is still scheduled to be up tomorrow or Monday.

Lord Valentine said:
Oh it looks like Zeno and Rimini could "poison" young Basileios mind with ideas of duty, honour, glory and perhaps even a bit of chivalry, in a joint effort. Ideas that are bound to lead him into conflict with his father. Intriguing! :)

~Lord Valentine~
He's the kind of person who could do with some poisoning.

I smell trouble! Barbaric western ideas are the last thing a prospective emperor needs cluttering his head. Rome has survived for the last 800 years through guile and tenacity and chivalry, for all it's theoretical virtues, lacks the subtlety needed in Constantinople. It's an interesting possibility, however, for Basileios to end up like the historical Manuel Komnenos (grandson of Alexius) who was very fond of the West and its customs, even participating in a joust one time (to the horror of his subjects).

The patriarch plan seems likely to destroy any chance for harmony between the churches. Four of the five patriarchal sees are already in Orthodox hands so Rome will be deadset against the Greeks putting up another one of their numbers in "Catholic" territory. Of course, there doesn't seem to be much the Pope can actually do about it. :rolleyes:

So, the Emperor's son and heir has fallen into the clutches of a Roman official. Sounds fun :D

Perchance, the heir is his father's son in intrigue too and is ensnaring oficials of the curia?

Basileia should be pleased that she's Queen of Siciliy and not her father. Her son needs to be able to function in the West as well as the East. Eastern subtlety is not going to work in Rome.

Uh... finally back from campus, and still more grading to do. :( Update is still scheduled to be finished and up tomorrow, I'd say right now its perhaps 60% complete. I'm going to work on it more tomorrow, after I've had some sleep...

Chief Ragusa - Problem is, Basiliea never loved Manuel to begin with. He was a means to an ends - a royal title in her family, not the Komnenids. Add to that he basically played her (went over to conquer Italy and then kept it for Romanion) only adds to the emnity. Basilieios and Niketas are getting a unique chance though - they are both getting to learn about the West, in the pseudo-West, not something alot of Imperial heirs get to do. Whether any of it rubs off or not remains to be seen.

Estonianzulu - Clutches or care? :D

VILenin - Yes, Manuel's plan is basically a reach for all or nothing. His invasion of Italy has already built up emnity so that reunion will be impossible in his lifetime - so why not try to strongarm things to his advantage. As for the real life Manuel, I've always found him to be one of the more fascinating Emperors. And the idea of an Eastern Emperor participating in a Western joust - no wonder he was idolized for part of his reign by the Latins. (and no wonder his Greek subjects were scandalized by his reckless behavior :) )

Fulcrumvale - Whom do you mean? Basilieos, Rimini, or Zeno?

So the intrigue continues. The Komnenids seem to have a real talent for pissing off their (smarter) wives.
The proposed Patriarchate is interesting. If they can somehow force the Iberian remnant realms to accept it, Rome will be vastly outnumbered. On the map it already appears to be just another Patriarchate...

The trick to maximizing the patriarchal advantage is to have their sees cover as many christians as possible. The Patriarchate of Carthage, for example, won't have many Orthodox faithful in it if formed. That weakens the Patriarch's position. Of course with some successful missionary work (or conversions by the sword) on Romanion's part, problem solved.