• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Issac Wolfe: Speaking of that, what about a pdf version of this AAR?
I know a bunch of people who would love this but who never would bring themselves to start reading a thread of paradoxplaza...
What do you think of that General? You don't happen to have all you old posts saved as word documents?

Zzzzz… – Well if they get fleet together they might be able to… And thankyou for the wiki help offer. Sometime in the next few days I’ll be shooting you a PM about it.

Isaac Wolfe – No, the EU portion will be however long that is… the end of the CK portion is what will go history book. And yes, the Word version is much longer. If its any indication, I started numbering Word files after each one got too long… started this probably about the reign of Manuel. I’m currently on word file number 41…

AlexanderPrimus – Thank you. :)

Carlstadt Boy – The Oikoi are the most equipped for an operation like that… would they try it, and could they pull it off?

WelshDude – Well, Reinaldo had it coming, considering he had a risky scheme to would either deliver the goods or get him in trouble with a usurer (and since there’s no bankruptcy courts, the lender has to resolve to ‘other means of persuasion.’ And nope, Nikephoros’ mom is the long dead Empress Cecilia (she died in 1272)… Nikephoros’ dad married twice again, and Sbyslava is his final wife. She’s actually only Nikephoros’ age at the oldest, but because she was the wife of the late emperor, she’s officially the Dowager Empress.

And thanks for the assistance offer. I’ll likely shoot you a PM sometime this week about it. This started as vanilla CK, and then about 1330 or so it went to Deus Vult (DV became available and I kept playing the savegames)…

Isabella is merely one of Sbyslava’s maids—it’s a change in perspective from simply following the royal characters around. Sbyslava clearly thinks Manuel is after her two children by the late Emperor, Andronikos and Heraklios… despite being children, they have a slightly better claim than he does (he was merely legitimized, they were born legitimate), that’s why she hates/is afraid of Manuel.

Alexios starts out with Paphlagonia (sp?) in DV, Kappadokia in vanilla. I’m not sure what it is in Veld’s mod…

vadermath – Well, internal threats have realistically now become external ones, at least from Konstantinopolis’ perspective, though Sbyslava escaping north to the Danes is worrisome… all the empire needs is the Sortmarkers piling in at this point…

…and I don’t even know where I’d begin with doing that. Anything posted on the boards is wholly Pdox’s property anyway.

Morrell8 – That’d be difficult to pull off, even for the Oikoi. Manuel was Nikephoros’ friend, and if anyone would have the resources to pull off something like that, it would be the Oikoi. Will they, however?

And page 300? I blinked a little when I saw that XD.

Enewald - :rofl: No Oikoi zeppelin attacks, sadly. Well, the Persians are sitting on the Anatolian coast, building their navy. And yes, the artificial ‘just pay a toll’ way of doing naval affairs in CK1 was… unsatisfying, to me at least. I can understand not having standing navies like armies (there were only a few states like Byzantium or Venice that had them), but there needs to be some way of measuring ‘limits’ of a naval expedition aside from cost… maybe your ships can transport armies further the higher tech you get? It’d also cut down on random crusader states in Iraq and random Muslim emirates in Scotland…

…wincest! :rofl:

asd21593 – True, all they really need to do is simply hold on to him to ruin his legitimacy. That’s what a wise captor would do—but Alexandros tends to be rash, so that could change things…

BraidsMAmma – Hahahaha, well you’re ahead of me then. My boyfriend has read a grand total of three updates (from when Andronikos was a kid) and nothing from the rest of the story. To be fair to him, he’s been working on minor things like a thesis during this time period, so I give him a pass. :) You’ll have to let me know what she thinks (or get her to post herself)…

I’ve got the entire first third of the AAR in a word document, chiefly for my own amusement. It’s missing all the interims and errata however…

Laur – That’s true also. His leprosy is clearly advancing, its entirely conceivable it could kill him while he was in Persian hands.

Vesimir - :rofl: And the Alexandros section of the spectators is clearly pleased! Alexandros basically has Anatolia now, and unlike any of the previous invaders (The Seljuks, Gabriel), he has Syria and Egypt as allies, so no second flanks to worry about in the south. He can focus all his resources in the western parts of his empire on Konstantinopolis…

Panjer – Your help is appreciated! I’ll shoot you a PM this week, probably titled “so how does making a wikia work?” :)

Frrf – Sbyslava hasn’t appeared much prior to this chapter… I think one scene with her arriving in Konstantinopolis, and another where she scolded Andronikos for not having his succession in order. She’s very smart and clearly very shrewd—she managed to escape the Oikoi, after all. Can she at least keep her boys safe in Havigraes? Can she turn her links up there into an army? We’ll have to see!

Qorten – Depends. Sbyslava’s big link up there was her father, and his close friendship with the Danish King Olaf. Olaf is indeed the same Olaf that tried to invade Romanion in the 1260s. He’s ancient by this point, and probably not long of this earth. The big question is can she translate that connection from Olaf to his heir?

Nikolai – The first 250 years of the game were played in vanilla. I didn’t download DV until around 1330 chronologically in game time…

TC Pilot – There was. The AAR hasn’t reached that point yet, but some of the screenies show DV influence because I had to reopen the save files to take screenshots after I’d installed DV.

SplendidTuesday – Thank you. :) Well, if it’s any indication, Thomas I’s death was around page 900 if it was all tossed into Word. So we’re probably at page 2500 or so? Written slowly and steadily over the course of four years, it’s not that much at once (a little over ten-twelves pages a week? Most of my writing usually happens in a day or two, so yes, I have quite a life outside of the hobby lol)

Servius Magnus – Long time no post! Glad you’re still around, and hope to see you at the end (which we’re getting closer to!)

The_Archduke –Persians?
Check.
A war?
Check.
All we need are some Spartans and a well…

Well, this weekend was decidedly not productive... I have six lines done only, and lots of work this week. Hopefully, there'll be an update ready by next weekend! Yes, there's a word document with all the old updates from the first third of the story I could convert to PDF, if people were interested. And I'll definitely be getting ahold of everyone who wants to make/help make a wikia for the story sometime this week!

Congrats on 300 BT!
My girlfriend just got past the death of Niko, she says she hates Manuel... wonder if later events will make her change her mind ;-)
Anyway, I was thinking of trying to convert at least the first book to a pdf-file to use for promoting this awsome thing for my friends.
I have spent so much time lately reading it that I need to share it with people around me to make it feel meningful.
Of course I need your permission and I would need you to check out the result before I make it official...
Thoughts?

300! :D:D

whew I have been around for mabey... 30 something pages still a realitivly new pearson :(, but sitll happy to have read it :cool:

Well look at that, I wander off for a couple days, and I find out Alexandros has joined the "I See Dead People" club (The Komnenian section of the afterlife seems mighty busy), Nikepheros has been captured, and given his medical state, I don't expect a long, healthy captivity for him, and Sybslava and company are fleeing to the more-awesome-than-history Steppe-Danes.

What could possibly go wrong?

I don't even know who to root for. Go go Mongol Shogunate?

Could you give us a gameplay account of what happened before Alexios died, if you can still remember that, please?

I think there's a short summary in one of the earlier posts of this forum.
Something about the turks attacking Romaion with a Martial 1 general I think...

He says the turks invaded Romanion in 1070, Alp Arslan defeated the Imperial Marshal, but Alexios defeated a dupe with 1 martial in Aleppo ,which he had conquered, with 7000 troops :confused: (you only start with two and a half thousand). Also, the roleplay account just before states that he conquered Aleppo in 1072 and says npothing about the Turk, although it is stated in a later chapter Alexios was the only man to ever defeat Arp Arslan in battle.

BT did you sendthe PMs? Not meaning to hassle, but if you did I haven't got it.

6000th!!! :D

While we patiently wait for the next update, have a question...
After rereading some the earlier parts of the story (Megos, Manuel :cool:, and et all) I ask, "Who is your favorite Emperor so far?"
There have been centuries for history to use and judge the past rulers of Rhomania and now I ask again...who is YOUR favorite.
Feel free to explain too!

Me personally, I have to say I love Manuel. He was so devious and yet all of his actions had justifications though bloody, unlike Thomas I. He wasn't afraid to crack down on the nobles, unlike Andi. He didn't go around charging into battle like Demtrios or Basil...and yet he was capable of dealing with any situation tossed at him. My personal least favorite was (heresy!) the Megas. The man just did not when sheath his sword (both literally and figuratively) the ridiculous amount of Kommenid blood is due this lecher. Not mention he utterly sucked at less warlike parts of government.