• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
but like a mountain before a storm, Alexandros stood his ground. Words of caution, of anger, words calling him a child, foolish, arrogant, they washed off of him like so many streams tumbling down a mountainside. All that remained was him, and his will, when five minutes later the tumult died, and all saw their words were for nothing.

First, the middle simile "like streams tumbling down a mountainside" is excellent. It recalls for me the idea in "water off a duck's back" but the tone is entirely different--largely driven by the use of "tumbling" and "mountainside" which creates the impression of furious sound.

Second, you almost have a chiasmus of images and sounds, "mountain - storm - stream - mountainside," which could only be improved by inversion to match image of water running down / washing off an unmoving central mountain.

I must say, Andronikos has proved he has impeccable timing even when it comes to his own death:p

Also, it's a great thing the Komnenos Triumvirate started planning their moves now; even a day later would've probably been too late (if it already isn't). Also, great update; it seems quite apparent that everyone's realized that what is probably the biggest Romanion civil war yet looms on the horizon.

Nikephoros reminds me of this guy:

darth-vader-gloves-3.jpg

:eek:o

This is no mere Komnenid. He is Alexandros, son of Alexandros the Older, the son of Gabriel. You owe him your allegiance!

F*** Yeah. :p So I guess Alex has allied himself with Gottfried. And I have to say things are looking better and better for Gottfried. Let's say he takes a bribe from the Emperor to keep quiet. A bribe in form of the Italian city states as his vassals and a new title. And let's say he joins Persia afterwards, bringing twice as much men on the Persian side. I hope it shall be as I say.

Based on that one flash forward from long ago, Alex captures the City, but fails afterwards, either militarily or (more likely) something more discrete.

Nikephoros reminds me of this guy:

darth-vader-gloves-3.jpg

:eek:o

HAHA! Join me and we will rule the empire as father and son!... Or brother and brother (I guess)

On the other hand I want Alex will come capture the city of mans desire and then ride of into the sunset. After all Konstantinople is no place for a son of Gabriel to be to much plotting not enough swords.

The stage is set for the mother of all succession struggles, unless an incapacitated Andi manages to pull of one last surprise.

Intruiged by the implicit mentioning of Mahan being Burgundian. Will the States be French/German/Dutch? Guess it will be a while before we know the answer.

Taqi reminds me a bit of a Muslim Luther/Calvin, in the way he hopes to reform his Faith. The parts about studying the scriptures for yourself, not relying on clergy in saving your soul and striving for religious purity all sound quite Protestant to me, although perhaps he has a bit of Wahhabi thrown in too. Wonder how the traditional Sunni schools of law, or Shia sects hold up to the Aionite and Taymiyyist reformers.

Taqi reminds me a bit of a Muslim Luther/Calvin, in the way he hopes to reform his Faith. The parts about studying the scriptures for yourself, not relying on clergy in saving your soul and striving for religious purity all sound quite Protestant to me, although perhaps he has a bit of Wahhabi thrown in too. Wonder how the traditional Sunni schools of law, or Shia sects hold up to the Aionite and Taymiyyist reformers.

It sounds Protestant, but this has definitely been the classical approach to the Quran, as attributed in the Quran itself and the Prophetic tradition, not to mention historically speaking. You'd be surprised as to how much laymen Muslims understood religious canon in the past, and still do in the present. Islam is not Christianity, as much as it is a tempting and understandable prism of examining things with.

Avoid the term "Wahhabi" it is rather derogatory :) Salafi is a better alternative.

Note: I highly doubt many of the remaining madhabs have maintained their coherency with the Roman occupation. Malki has likely survived in West Africa and Spain, as well as Hanafi and Hanbali Islam, but they have likely muddled to the point of losing their doctrinal distinctness.

Imam Taymiyya isnt a reformer really, even though BT has used the term "New Islam" to describe his vision - as far as I can see its a restoration very much akin to what he did in real life. He is a traditionalist Salafi through and through.

I loved the update from the awed pirate-hunter, it was pretty funny to see how scared he was, and it was cool to see the plots from someone else's point of view besides the Imperial Family or the Gabrielids.

As for Alexandros, I think he will probably take land but fall short of Konstantinople. He will probably die in an epic battle for the city walls or something. Or not, but that would be the only way I can see him dying and be fitting.

As for Taqi, he kind of reminds me of Osama Bin Laden... He's an Islamic Fundamentalist freedom fighter against one of the two superpowers in this world, (Mongols + Romanion) he has a network of spies and holy warriors, and he has a sort of cult following, rather than being 100% mainstream. (Also, he calls Konstantinople the Den of Thieves + City of Men's Desires, kind of like calling it The Great Satan).
He doesn't seem like quite as bad of a guy, but if his network goes and starts killing loyal Muslims or Orthodox rulers, he's going to start looking like an olden times terrorist ala Hasan-i Sabbah and the Hashishin.

No way! Its been 24 hours without a post agin! What is happing?

Better hurry it up or I'm going to victory lap you again, BT! ;)

(I jest. Partly.)