• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Everything is revealed in Betrayal at Mashad

Please let it be Gabriel going out with a bang! Abdication and cozy retirement seems far to boring for such a characterful character.

Yes! Did I not say we'd have a Gandalf-like arrival at Isfahan? Well, not Gandalf really, it's more like if Saruman suddenly decided to help Rohan against the Orcs.

Also Andronikos, I piss on thee! Stripping the Desert Lion of his rightful throne! The man that should've ruled all of Romanion is now reduced to retirement. A glorious death in the field would've been a more fitting end. What FrozenWall said, really; I hope he pulls one last daring effort to do at least some damage to Andie. But all is not lost, I suppose, for the Thomasine line lives on, and Alex seems more than capable of meddling with Andie's affairs, one day.

Gabriel doesn't seem to be the sort that is going to take this nonsense lying down. I mean, sure, he agreed right now when he HAD to, but Andronikos is letting his army come with him to the border, whose to say that Gabriel won't just make him have an accident on the way? Especially since Andronikos thinks he has won.

On the other hand, maybe its Arghun who is going to be betrayed. We know that Andronikos sent emissaries to Kublai Khan in China...maybe Arghun will have a surprise waiting for him at the border...

Excellently done, BT.

I'm really starting to dislike Andronikos; he is far too prideful, considering his own relative lack of experience or accomplishments. His hubris is going to come back to bite him some day.

So just outmaneuvering an opponent is not good enough for Andi anymore, he has to humiliate them to the bone too. Reminds me a bit of Albrechts treatment, being outmaneuvered, minimalized and made insignificant.

Does Andi's surprise of the old lion have something to do with Safiya?

Noooo! Why did he accept?! Andronikos wouldn't help the Mongols against him, the dissent would be too big to be worth it, he could've said no! :(

Oh, well. The instant Andronikos dies the empire he built on the blood of Gabriel shall crumble, and the Gabrieline line shall take what is rightfully theirs! I hope. :p

So, I'm only on page 29 of this forum thread. Posts are dated at February 2008 and Manuel I is warring in southern Italy. This is a freakin' brilliant AAR!!!!!!!! If it takes me until Judgement Day, I vow to finish reading this AAR! Love the writing (despite some spelling misteaks :)), love the intrigue, love the wee bits of humour thrown in (ie. Blackadder!). Also, the battle scenes. WOW!!! I am very much looking forward to how this all unravels.

I thought you were throwing us a curveball with those banners and either Arghun made his levies carry roman banners to try and get Gabriel to sally, (Thought I HAD to be right when he ordered that sally, too.) or Andronikos was coming to ally with Arghun, and it looks like I wasn't too far off base with my second guess. Too bad about Gabriel, but client kingdoms don't usually stay clients forever, when they're so far removed from the center of their liege's authority. (Exarchates, and despotes have ganged up and cause a whole lot of trouble and individually they still managed to bother Romanion occasionally, I'm sure Persia can do much more than just bother them even if they can't assemble a rebellious gang of their own.)

Last edited:
On the contrary. Nothing has been said about them so they are insignificant. Ergo, they will be toppled because they have no skills.

the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence
thumb-11457471.jpg

General BT - A staggering work...

...I'm only on page 34, and I despair to finish, but will carry on...

...my heart is still grieving for Nikolaios as your most human yet brilliant character so far...

...and I miss the simplicity of Demetrios Megos...

...and the warmth of older non-scheming females...

...but I will read on eagerly...keep at it!

Last edited:
I've caught up again. I was actually really very suprised by Andronikis' dealings with Arghun. Gabriel truly has been smashed. But now with no real threat to the Empire (France simply can't cut the mustard) it seems likely that the Empire shall soon turn upon itself and the much anticipated collapse will begin.

Wow! Just read up to page 118 where Thomas II is praying and a 4th voice comes to him. Very mystical and quite well written. A lot of AAR writers (not that I've read most), I imagine, would have a hard time writing a scene like this and make it seem realistic. Writing in a mystical experience of God can be very a very tricky thing to accomplish without it coming off as either sermonish (new word) or rather inane. You have managed to avoid both of those pitfalls. Kudos!

Darbuka88 - Welcome to the thread! Wow, you're reading fast! Thank you for the kind words--to be honest, Thomas' madness was one of the hardest things to write so far in the story. I wanted the character to be bonafide insane, but for it to not fall into cliche or caricature, something that is very easy to do. I'm glad to know you think I threaded some of the fine lines there (including some of his spiritual moments) well so far. I look forward to hearing more of what you think!

Tommy4ever - Gabriel has been smashed. Persia's suffered a huge setback, but nothing peace and careful rebuilding can't solve. If Romanion turns her back for too long, Persia will definitely have a chance to rise again...

Bagricula - Welcome to the thread also! You can make it, just takes some time... the best way to look at it is that unlike everyone here at the end, you don't have to wait a week or so for the next update!

Kirsch27 - Exactly... we haven't talked about Andronikos' children yet simply because they're still so young... The eldest at this point is 6, with another boy who is 4... and yes, Romanion has had problems with her clients in the past. In most cases, the regions were created clients because the center felt they were too remote/too troublesome to govern directly... aka they would be trouble...

Vesimir - True to a point. Considering their ages, if they were thrust on the throne they would have no skill at ruling, and would need a Regency... as for Gabriel, he was boxed in, and above all, he knows he's got only a little time left. Maybe he just gave up... a younger Gabriel would've stormed out, and tried to fight till the bitter end. The older Gabriel wants to see his son and grandsons succeed to his realm... the torch of vengeance, for now, has been passed...

Morrell8 - True, and in all likelihood if something happened to Andronikos a certain Lord Angelos would become Regent. The question at that point becomes "How loyal is Ioannis Angelos to his best friend's children?" Angelos has Komnenid blood in him, and its a very small step from Regent to the diadem as 'co-Emperor...'

Qorten -Typical Andronikos indeed. I'm thinking those of you who are being grated by overconfident Andronikos might like what's coming up ahead...

FlyingDutchie - Actually, no, nothing to do with Safiya...

asd21593 - Gone are the days of Basil, when the Roman banner stood for something honorable and just...

Enewald - In-game, the Mongols butts were handed to them, despite all my efforts to give them extra troops (as evidenced by the pre-Neapolis screenies). The Golden Horde wandered around Russia for about ten years before dying, while the Ilkhanate struggled for a decade against the four province Turks before I squelched it (and the Turks) in the 1270s. The vanilla Mongol experience was underwhelming, to say the least. I'm hoping in Ck2 the Mongols are beefed up into something to be truly feared.

AlexanderPrimus - To quote my boyfriend: "What a pompous sunovabitch!"

Sergei Meranov - Something big happens at Mashad, and Gabriel is there, and Persians are involved. I won't say more...

vadermath - Gabriel has been defeated, at least for now, but yes, the Thomasine line lives on. Someday, Andronikos and/or his descendants will rue the day they left the Thomasine branch alive...

FrozenWall - I highly doubt Andronikos plans for Gabriel's retirement to be 'cozy.' More of an 'out of sight, out of mind, out of any ability to cause me harm' mentality....

Zzzzz... - Well, you've 1 for 1... we'll have to see if you become 2 for 2...

Next update is about 75% done textwise, but I still have to work on the graphics as well as perhaps some music. I'm thinking it'll be ready to post Wednesday, perhaps Thursday. We'll have to see!

Enewald - In-game, the Mongols butts were handed to them, despite all my efforts to give them extra troops (as evidenced by the pre-Neapolis screenies). The Golden Horde wandered around Russia for about ten years before dying, while the Ilkhanate struggled for a decade against the four province Turks before I squelched it (and the Turks) in the 1270s.

What a pathetic fate for the most efficiently deadly military of the medieval world. I wait in eagerness for the day a Paradox game finally has an AI with its head not firmly stuck up in certain nether regions.