• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aaaagh, BT! How do you write so well? I'm struggling for ideas, and stuff to even START my AAR(s), and you're going strong on page 230 (231, now) of your grand epic.

How are you doing this so well? Giiiive meeee yooour taaaaaleeeeent! :D

As always your ensemble casting is perfectly entertaining ! Looks like the motif this time around is pincering !

I don't like this Andronikos, how long can he keep op this façade of bieng a calm and collected dude? On the other hand. I do like this Ioannis Angelos fella, kind of macabre willing to go the distance. Would he have qualms killing a friend? I wonder.

Oh and as always Nik & Alex are a wonderful duo, especially Nik.

If you're talking about the fact that Rodrigo briefly had his way with Sophie, I wasn't referring to that. Basil and Rodrigo were genuinly good friends, something we don't see an awful lot in the midst of all the constant plotting and backstabbing. Andronikos and Ioannis, at least for now, seem to be on similar terms.

Hi everyone!

Next update is motoring along after a few days of writer's block. Three sections (depending on how long they get it might get cut to two and the third gt shunted to the following update, we'll see), something from Persia, something from Samarkand, and something from Konstantinopolis, so a little for everyone!

vadermath - Well, Segeo might not be politically bright, but the man was a respected military veteran. It was a safe assumption once blades were out that in the field he'd acquit himself decently. Add a dose of treachery and you've got him doing as well as he's done so far.

Second, Andie's "family instincts" are alive and well... he had to fight them most of last update! :) The thing that held him back was more he felt he was embarassed by her-so that other Komnenid trait of pride is now fighting lechery for supremacy. Who'll win out?

Vesimir - Andronikos' pride was wounded. Seduction can overcome pride given time and skillful enough application. ;) The red letters are Greek, and don't mean anything really in reference to this AAR. I just found the image cool. :) As for Gottfried, him sneaking an assassin into the Emperor's court in Konstantinopolis would be a coup indeed--he'd deserve to come back to the city after that!

Nvidia way? *confused*

Deamon - Oh, what's wrong with unnaturally-calm-holds-it-all-in Andronikos? Save that kind of behavior with no release tends to lead to a mental breakdown? Andronikos does release, as we've seen, but in private (yelling about hating God? Hardly rational politic...)

canonized - Eh, if that's the motif, I didn't do a good job exploiting it. There need to be some panzers of some kind, a blitzkrief, or a kesselschlact... ;)

SplendidTuesday - To be blunt, I don't write this all alone in a vacuum. If I did, it'd be at a fraction of the level that it is. I pester some of you (AP, RGB and Calipah in particular) about ideas I have, or ask them to read drafts. And as an AAR writer I have a luxury that regular writer's don't have: I can see feedback quickly after each section is posted, and you readers--what you like, what gets you excited, what you're thinking--also help mold everything. Often if I have writer's block I'll see something one of you has posted and its enough to get my brain jogging again.

So if you like what you've seen, you need to give yourself a pat on the back for reading up to the front and sharing your thoughts as much as you need to pat me on the back. That's the beauty of AARland. :D

Frrf - First, that has to be one of the more original forum names I've seen! Second, welcome to the thread, glad you've decided to delurk, if only momentarily! On the plague... all I'll say right now is that it develops far differently than in our timeline. There will be surprises...

asd21593 - Or I could've mentioned the cupbearer because he is a secret spy for the Aionios who intends to invade Konstantinopolis and set up a Holy Aionite Empire and transfers the capital to Alexandria and...

...or it could be some of the things you listed. :)

cezar87 - Safiya definitely has a power play or two ahead, so don't count her out. As for Andie, he's politicked before, and Albrecht has stymied him. If he's plotting something once more, will Albie catch it in time? Or could this be Konstantinos involved in things too... *throws another hat in*

Enewald - "Vishly, Harbinger of Doom." I like it. I'm going to use it, somehow, somewhere. :D And someone needs to get that sobriquet over to Mr. Capiatlist, stat!

4th Dimension - If he was planning on poisoning himself, that'd a) mean he figured out who VIshly was and approached him privately on the street to propose the plan, and b) he'd have lead-lined titanium balls. Manuel balls. That's a lot for a 15 year old! :rofl:

FlyingDutchie - There's yet another possibility--a double agent, working for whoever thinks the poisoning is about to happen, and someone else who wants it to go down a little differently than planned. Who would the two groups getting played be?

RGB - Chevauchee is such a great word.

RGB said:
Prussian assassin is back! And someone let him near the beverages!

That made me lol. :rofl:

Kirsch27 - Subject of total war, you actually see quite a bit of it before the American civil war. Scorching the Earth before an enemy's advance was a common tactic in the medieval and early modern period, as well as a component of state policy for many Near Eastern empires (the Byzantines, for example, would purposefully depopulate areas close to their borders to make an invasion more difficult. Saladin used this tactic to stop Richard the Lionheart's advance on Jerusalem as well)...

...as for Andronikos proving himself, that's going to be dangerous. Alexandros and Nikephoros are both battle tested, skilled commanders. Andronikos... isn't.

...as for Andronikos proving himself, that's going to be dangerous. Alexandros and Nikephoros are both battle tested, skilled commanders. Andronikos... isn't.

Andronikos seems arrogant enough to try it though, and that's what matters. (Putting his pride over a night with Safiya proves he's at least a little too proud for his own good.)

Andronikos seems arrogant enough to try it though, and that's what matters. (Putting his pride over a night with Safiya proves he's at least a little too proud for his own good.)

And judging by the epic mess the Persians seem to planning, Andronikos will get his chance. But he's intelligent, incredibly so for a 15-year-old. Who knows, he might grow smart and determined enough to fit the Gardener's shoes. He will certainly lead an army in the approaching civil war though, seeing as he probably realizes that a warrior Emperor fares a lot better with the people than a scheming backstabber, or a calculating bureaucrat.

Once again i must congratulate you for writing such a epic aar. But i have one selfish request if i may be so bold. Some kind of regent list of emperors and kings would be most beneficent. I can almost not remember all the emperors and co-emperors that have graced this aar. I remember Zeno being co-emperor for a few years back, was the present David an emperor as well, is he still a emperor our did he lose that tittle being excommunicated? Anyway good work.

I really hope Andronikos changes his mind later on, but by that time Safiya will have already spun enough webs to bring His empire down.

Also, how do you see the historical development of the Rus' lands continuing, BT? Seeing as the Mongols were not as successful than in real life, it should lead to some interesting developments.

Once again i must congratulate you for writing such a epic aar. But i have one selfish request if i may be so bold. Some kind of regent list of emperors and kings would be most beneficent. I can almost not remember all the emperors and co-emperors that have graced this aar. I remember Zeno being co-emperor for a few years back, was the present David an emperor as well, is he still a emperor our did he lose that tittle being excommunicated? Anyway good work.

That would be much appreciated as well. Hopefully, in time, you will have some spare time to write up a general summary of each chapter or book, as you see fit. Just in case some people don't want to read through the entire AAR for whatever reason (I do highly recommend doing that, though!).

Sudaxe - Well, so far the Danes of Sortmark have stepped into the role of post-Mongol Muscovy (being the big guy on the block, trying to build an empire), but they've been stymied by Romanion at least once... and its likely the Romans would be loathe to see Russia develop under the thumb of Havigraes...

Fellwinter - That's actually been a long term project of mine for a while... it keeps getting pushed onto the backburner unfortunately. I do, however, have the short list I gave my boyfriend when he started reading the AAR--he started in Chapter 19, so very recently--and this summation covers the rulers from the beginning to that point. At some point I'm going to make a proper family tree, etc...

LINE OF DESCENT, IN BRIEF

Demetrios I→Nikolaios I (Demetrios’ eldest son, closeted homo)→Civil War (Nikolaios versus Christophoros)→Manuel I (Nikolaios’ younger brother, noted assassin, conquered southern Italy and Egypt)→Civil War (Manuel versus partisans of his wife Basilieia)→Manuel I→Joint Monarchy (Manuel injured in assassination, cousin Zeno becomes co-Emperor)→Joint Monarchy (Manuel’s son Basil replaces Zeno after Zeno is found guilty of treason, executed)→Basil III (Conquers Spain, sees visions, general nice guy)→Triple Monarchy (Basil’s realm split amongst two sons, Heraklios and Thomas, and grandson Alexios)→Civil War (Thomas usurps throne in Constantinople, Alexios flees west becomes Emperor in the West, Heraklios murdered. Alexios and Thomas fight, Thomas killed)→Regency (Thomas I’s young son Thomas II, late emperor’s wife Christina is Regent. Alexios settles in Spain, empire split)→Thomas II (Thomas II grows up, schizo, voices make him kill his mom, make him a terrific general. Holds the line against Genghis Khan)→Civil War (Komnenids versus non-Komnenids)→Thomas II (completely mad now, refuses to leave his personal boat, conquers Persia and Mecca, is murdered)→Interregnum (Thomas II’s son Gabriel dukes it out with distant cousin Bardas for throne, T2’s friend Albrecht von Franken becomes kingmaker using T2’s son Thomas as a pawn)→Split Monarchy (Gabriel rules in Persia, Thomas III reigns in Constantinople while Albrecht rules)→United Empire (Alexios’ grandson Nikephoros comes East, proposes a united, three emperor realm)→Nikephoros IV (Albrecht allies with Nikephoros to push Gabriel out of power, T3 becomes increasingly mad figurehead)

There is also this, a list of the major characters up until Chapter 18, I believe. It too is very rough, but it should give people an idea of what's gone on before, at least until formal chapter summaries can get done...

Panjer - Aetios Silvagentios? I don't know, to be honest! He's probably either still plying the wares of his blade at worst, or at best he's retired as a respected guardsmen and ending his days with some coin at least...

vadermath - Power in Romanion lies through the army. Andie's realized this. The army, however, is as unforgiving to failures as it is supportive of successes...

Vesimir - Aha! Yo comprendo...

Kirsch27 - Success is the fine line that separates "confidence" from "arrogance." Remains to be seen which side Andie lies on. :)

EDIT: Here's a more visually appealing and more useful "line of descent" for the main throne in Konstantinopolis...

rulerscopy.jpg

Sole rulers are in dark red
Joint rulers are in dark blue
Regents are in brown​

I apologize for the up and down format, but making it one long line has in the past, meant the forum board or photobucket trying to autosize the picture, making it smaller and harder to read. :(

Last edited:
andronikosbanner1copy.jpg

“Youth bows to wisdom, as a tree bows before the wind.” – Roman proverb

Baghdad

April 1st, 1263

Gabriel Komnenos awoke with a start.

The 48 year old former emperor stretched ad grumbled as he blinked at the blinding light. Part of his tired mind wanted to simply pull the covers even higher, but the rest of his brain was already at work.

The sun was out.

Why had no one awoken him?

“Koutsos?” he called for his majordomo, rubbing his eyes the whole time. He grumbled choice words about the man and laziness—he liked to be woke just before dawn, not when the sun was clearly flooding his bedroom hours after clearing the horizon!

Silence.

Gabriel blinked, then sat bolt upright. His plate of food half-eaten grapes and bread from the night before sat on a table next to his bed. His door was ajar—beyond, he caught a glimpse of sheets on the floor, as if thrown down in the midst of folding. He cursed—there’d been no blade kept near him in 15 years.

Slowly, Gabriel rose to his feet, graying hair falling to his shoulders as he walked forward. He pulled the door open—still silence. No voices, no servant’s chatter, no guards muttering to themselves.

No one.

“Hello?” he called, nervously, steeling himself. Was he meant to die? Had something gone wrong? He walked to the next room—tablescraps laid across the floor of the small barracks for his closest guards. No weapons were in sight, yet things were in a state of disarray.

It was that way each room his bare feet ran into—no one present, all the signs of a hasty evacuation present. Finally, his aging form peeked around a corner into the entry hall of his gilded prison, and for the first time since he’d closed his eyes the night before, he saw someone.

His own son Nikephoros, standing in front of the doorway in finely burnished steel armor.

“What is the meaning of this?” Gabriel said, his thoughts leaking into half-spoken word. He leaned forward, looking behind the nearest set of columns—no soldiers there either. “Where have the guards gone?” Wary blue eyes looked up, meeting his son’s solid gray.

“You’ve come to kill me?”

“No,” Nikephoros chukled slightly at those words and looked down, “Father, to every thing there is a season…” Nikephoros began, snapping his fingers. The servants behind him dashed around the corner, and Gabriel could hear their footfalls, then the noise of metal clinking.

“…and a time to every purpose under heaven,” Gabriel finished. He walked briskly to his left, checking behind more columns. No guards. “You didn’t come here to quote the Bible to me, Nikephoros!” Gabriel snapped. He stalked over towards his son. “What is the meaning of all this?”

Just as those words came out of his mouth, the first of the servants returned. Clutched reverently in his hands was a gilded helm, polished to shine like new, that Gabriel Komnenos had not seen in over 15 years. The others quickly followed, each holding a shining piece of memory—gauntlets, shin-guards, mail and aventail. Gabriel stared, first at his old imperial armor, then up at his son.

“Arrangements have been made,” Gabriel heard his son say, “your nephew’s claim will give us a way into the city.”

As his son spoke words of framing Thomas and shunting him aside, Gabriel’s hands slowly, shakily touched that gilded mail, felt the rings slip between his fingers. Finally, trailing behind the others, came a harried servant who hastily bowed and proffered up a fine steel blade, hilt made with perfect giltwork, a massive ruby marking its pommel. Gingerly, he wrapped his thick fingers around the hilt—it still felt perfect, as if it was made for him yesterday morn.

“They’ll clamor for us to remove him when we take the city,” Gabriel felt a hand on his shoulder. Blue eyes met gray again.

When we take the city? Does this mean…

“Fifteen years penance is enough,” Nikephoros smiled.

“It is time for the lion to rise once again.”

oldergabby2copy.jpg

==========*==========​

Samarkand

April 6th, 1263

Altani Khatun wished she had not risen this day.

She’d known for two weeks that Arghun Khan, Lord of India and her nominal overlord for the past year was coming to Samarkand, at the head of a vast and mighty host. Yet even her worst fears couldn’t describe the vast multitudes that now camped around Samarkand, her city, in a fearful and awesome display of power. Elephants of war, strange machines, tens of thousands of fearsomely clad men in mail and more horses than she’d seen since her father’s host all those years before.

She looked up, for once not outside the window of her apartments and across the beautiful, vibrant city that was her capital. Instead, her eyes went to the man that threatened it.

Arghun Khan was by no means a handsome man—his face was too…utilitarian. His nose was simple, if long, borrowed from his Ghorid mother, his skin taught. Despite having just finished three healthy courses and being only 33, the man looked like a walking skeleton, his form hidden behind flowing robes of silk and a turban of Persian linen. His beard was long, kept in the Mongol fashion, but her eyes kept going back to his eyes—sunken brown orbs that conveyed intelligence and cunning. Even now, they peered at her, almost in question, searching her mind, her heart…

arghunkhancopy.jpg

“And is that the Church of the Nativity?” Arghun casually looked out the window, her window, at the tallest structure in the new Samarkand. He pursed his lips as if the breath was taken out of him. “Truly a beautiful building. Persian architects, built it, yes?”

Altani nodded slowly. “Why do you care?” she asked, looking down.

“I appreciate all forms of beauty,” her bane turned back to her, that cunning, charming smile gracing his lips. “Inshallah the building should stand.”

“But you are Muslim,” Altani asked. “Why do you pray for a Christian building to stand? Shouldn’t you be plotting its demise stone by stone?” She took a deep drink from the wine Arghun refused to touch—it was expensive, all the way from the Roman lands. She told herself she wouldn’t let it go to waste. It hit her belly with a thump and her head swam. She didn't look over to the doorway—old Tokhtamysh, grey hairs and all, would be standing there, disapprovingly.

“It’s your building anyway,” she murmured under her breath.

“It is,” he said, making her jump. “And yes, I am Muslim. Like you, I have broken from the religion of our forefathers,” Arghun smiled thinly. “I considered Christianity,” the Khan said, scratching his beard, “but I choose Islam for political reasons as much as reasons of the heart. My nobles, the Ghorids, are Muslim. And the Hindu Rajs resist my rule—and their religion confuses me,” he waved his hand.

“Islam can be confusing,” Altani retorted before thinking. She grimaced.

“And so is the religion of the Christians,” Arghun’s smile grew wider. “But we are not here to talk of that—we are here to talk of us. You,” he pointed at her, “and me. And the state of the Empire left by your grandfather.”

Altani swallowed hard—she’d known it would come to this, on this day, an afternoon she’d prayed long and hard would never come. After the battles on the Syr Darya, Arghun had been content to make her kneel before him, to promise to be his loyal servant, and then he’d taken his host, vast as the sea, back across the Hindu Kush. He knew he had time, and he’d let her stew, let her think she’d been spared. Altani had spent long days breathless in the Church of the Nativity, its towers spindling high above the city skyline, hoping against hope that Arghun wouldn’t return, that she’d have time to consolidate her position, despite all that’d happened, despite the rumbles and rumors from the great Mongol lords under her banner.

greatchurchofthenativitysamarkandco.jpg

But it was not to be.

“My cousin Kublai rules in Karakorum now,” Arghun smiled as he sat down opposite to her, pouring himself a goblet of water. Her nose wrinkled—she’d met his father Tekuder many times… Tekuder had been rough-spun, a man who drank goatsmilk and bragged of tenderizing pork under his saddle. Arghun was urbane, sophisticated, and still respected by the steppe lords…

…in short, he was dangerous. Not just to Altani…

“A boy of seven!” Arghun chuckled darkly, taking a swig of water. “His uncle Qayban rules in fact. The man has taken to Chinese dress and ethics,” Arghun added, irony plain in his voice. “He makes the horse lords of the East nervous.”

“And you wouldn't?” she dared to ask.

Arghun chuckled, looking down. “Of course I wouldn’t. I can wear silks as the finest Arab, but as you saw, Altani Khatun, I can ride with the fiercest warrior. I can hunt with the best,” he added, before his eyes looked up, dark, challenging, “hunting deer, or men.”

Altani swallowed again.

“But Kublai is of direct descent,” Arghun swirled his water cup gently, “while I’m a cousin. So, if I am to take the mantle of Great Khan, I must prove I am worth more than my mere birth. And you,” he smiled thinly if pleasantly at Altani, “are the linchpin, the central point from which my Empire will expand. So, Altani Khatun, I am going to need your complete, utter obedience, or I’m afraid some unfortunate things will happen…”

“You cannot bully me!” Altani hissed to herself. She looked desperately over at Tokhtamysh, and by the ashen look on her face, she knew she’d spoken too loud. She panicked, looking at Arghun—the Khan’s face was still unreadable, but his eyes were like boiled leather.

“But I can,” his mouth smiled in spite of his eyes. “For, my dear Khatun, the lords of the Mongols will respect you and follow you as an adviser to Qayshan Khan. With his death…” Arghun raised his hands up and shrugged slightly.

Altani wanted to utter something harsh, something mean, but nothing would come to her lips. She knew her predicament—it was the reason she’d cried that night on the Syr Darya after Arghun’s men forced a bridgehead. It should’ve been nothing more than a mere skirmish—a few hundred men at most. But the young Qayshan had defied her strict advice, even orders, and ridden close to see the fight.

It wasn’t even an aimed shot—a mere stray arrow, and the lifeblood of her claim to legitimacy reddened the muddy riverbank. For the Mongols would follow a son of the great Genghis, a male. But to follow a woman outright? To let a woman rule as Khatun with no superior, real or nominal?

mongolcodes.jpg

“Altani,” Arghun slowly rose, and walked towards the windows of her personal tower. The late afternoon sun streaming from outside made him look like a loom dark specter, a nightmare looming over her dreams of a city, an empire. “I have the greatest respect for you, and what you’ve done.” She heard silk sighing as he clasped his hands behind his back. “There are few, man or woman, who could have created a realm here, and turned Samarkand so quickly from one of many cities to something so unique.”

Altani only let a sigh of her own come through—she wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of hearing her complain, or uttering something rude or mean. Even if she wanted to.

“So, daughter of Hulagu, I give you a choice. You and I could be partners, allies, and your Christian city and Christian state will be left in peace. An island, if you will, in the Muslim sea I wish to create. Or,” Arghun grimaced, as if he’d swallowed a bitter date, “I will remove you and all like you, and sweep away your kingdom and its faith into the bitter alleys of history.” Arghun shrugged his shoulders, and looked out over Samarkand once more. “This is a beautiful city.”

“Would you sigh at its beauty if it was despoiled?” Altani asked sharply.

Her cousin said nothing for a moment, still looking over the towers and minarets that marked its skyline, before slowly turning to face her.

“I would weep,” he said. “Please do not force that decision on me.”

Altani looked him up and down one last time—his face was quiet, plain, his eyes pleading and hard at once. Quietly, she nodded her head. There was no other way.

Arghun only smiled thinly—no huge grin, no lording triumph or words of victory. Just a simple, small smile.

“Together, Altani Khatun, we could rule the Mongol Empire,” he said quietly, offering a rugged, ring covered hand.

Altani looked over at Tokhtamysh—her husband eyed the Khan warily before nodded. Slowly, carefully, Altani held her hand out, and just as slowly, Arghun took her hand into his own. She was surprised at how soft his hands felt—she’d expected hard leathery fingers and palms, like those of her Tokhtamysh.

“Good,” Arghun nodded, smile huge and genuine. “We’ll start with the north and the Blue Horde, before we go for the Chagatai, then the crowning triumph of Persia,” he said, summing up years of future campaigning, blood and sweat in a simple sentence. “With those conquests…”

==========*==========
arghunsplancopy.jpg

Shorter than normal update this time, but still filled with juicy things! Gabriel has been unleashed! And Altani’s conqueror has grand designs of his own. Opportunities and pitfalls about as we go to Konstantinopolis next time on Rome AARisen!

Gabriel rides to war...in the west.

Arghun rides to war....to Gabriel's east.

Sounds like...miscommunication. Yes. And now we'll see who rides faster.

---

So incidentally, are the Song pursuing naval trade-dominance strategy like OTL Song, Yuan and Ming?

That way Arghun could truly come into conflict with China over the South India trade, which he probably does want to get engaged in.

---

As for the up-down line of history, didn't you mis Christorphoros?