• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yep, in this post he foreshadowed Alexandros II Megas.

The question in my mind is whether he will be "Alexander II, the Great," or "Alexander the Great II."

It's a very significant distinction, considering the legacy of the name.

I'd say "Alexander the Great II." because there are already 2 other roman emperors by the name Alexander and an usurper, so a new Alexander would be number 3 or 4 depending on wether or not you count "Domitius Alexander".

I'd say "Alexander the Great II." because there are already 2 other roman emperors by the name Alexander and an usurper, so a new Alexander would be number 3 or 4 depending on wether or not you count "Domitius Alexander".

Well, I'm not sure how much that applies. This Alexandros was said to be a Persian leader, and I'm not sure if Persia in this timeline will be following the Byzantine imperial numbering. BT also revealed that there were at least two Persians by that name: a "King" Alexandros and an "Emperor" Alexandros (Megas).

Well, right now we have a situation where there is an Alexandros in Persia. IIRC, he was the Despotes of Mesopotamia, but after Gabriel's excommunication, was he crowned jointly with his brother Nikephoros as Kings in Persia? If that is the case, then we now have a King Alexandros of Persia...although if that is the case, then it would possibly mean that Nikephoros is deposed/killed/dies without heirs.

andronikosbanner1copy.jpg

“His Majesty has a keen mind, full of questions and eager to learn. Unfortunately, he has inherited the stubborn streak common to his family and rank. When he has dug in his heels, few men can move him.” – Roger Bacon on his most famous pupil, Andronikos Komnenos.​

November 3rd, 1259

andieinheritscopy.jpg

Andronikos Komnenos gave an entirely unregal sigh, wishing for the fifth time today he’d decided to bring the falcons along for the hunt.

Instead, the 12 year old Megas Komnenos had decided the temperamental birds weren’t worth the time. Not today. But with the hassle of setting traps and then checking them, the Emperor felt like cursing his own-short sightedness.

Hunting was normally a massive excursion at the Komnenid court—a chance for the great nobles to see each other and be seen, for negotiations and plots to take place far from the eyes of the city, for the imperial family to show its largesse, splendor and power. Yet those events annoyed the now 12 year old Emperor of the Romans to no end. There were many instances in court, in the city, where the family’s power could be shown off—for Chrissakes, that was the purpose of spending tens of thousands of gold pieces maintaining the palaces, the servants, the court itself! In the city, one could properly keep track of the plots, the counterplots, and not expose oneself to the risks of the hunt—Andronikos knew his history, and knew what happened to Emperor Manuel Komnenos in these very woods.

More importantly for the boy, hunting was a joy—something that was soiled when hangers on, nobles, and their lackeys galloped around, scaring the game, and drinking their way to stupidity.

So Andronikos was out today with just a select few—Master Roger Bacon, his trusted tutor, his friends Cecilia de Normandie and Ioannis Angelos, and a minimal contingent of the Rigal, no more. The woods was a refuge, a place where he could get away from Konstantinopolis and the mask the city forced over his young face. He needed this distraction, especially on this day. Both Cecilia and Ioannis were trying their best to keep him in good spirits—Cecilia by proving twice she could hit a target almost at the range Andronikos could, Ioannis by pranking two guardsmen and in general being his exuberant self. However, despite their years together, one man didn’t seem to care, or at least understand, why Andronikos was not in a good mood today.

youngceciliacopy.jpg

“…and that is the reason for the difference between hawks and falcons,” Master Roger Bacon, Tutor to the Emperor, finished his long soliloquy.

Andronikos looked over at Cecilia and held back on the sigh he wanted to give. Master Bacon might have been from the Capetian Kingdom, but he’d attracted the attention of Metropolitan Aquinas, and found a post at the palace school. From there, he’d impressed Emperor Nikephoros enough that the Frenchmen had been named personal tutor to Andronikos some three years before. Sharp-witting and charismatic, normally he held Andronikos’ rapt attention with his fascinating theories on the reasons why all sorts of plants and animals were molded differently by the hands of the Divine.

rbacon.jpg

But not today.

“Take a look at that!” Bacon reached over as their horses lazily ambled along the trail. There was a crack from a nearby bramble, and the tutor held up a simple nut for his pupil’s observation.

Andronikos sighed. “It’s a pistachio.” It wasn’t that Andronikos didn’t find natural science interesting—it was fascinating, like most things Roger Bacon discussed with his most important pupil—it was just that today, of all days, was one where Andronikos wanted to be alone.

It was the anniversary of his father’s death.

Even though he man had died without ever meeting Andronikos, the young man felt he knew Alexios Komnenos. He certainly had heard enough stories of the man—his mother described him as kind and chivalrous, Nikephoros had described his brother-in-law as a lion on the battlefield. All in all, the glowing descriptions made the late King of Mesopotamia seem to be a shining knight on a hill, the epitome of all that was noble, righteous and good.

“Yes, it is,” his tutor said quietly, “but here, take a closer look.”

Andronikos sighed, and did as he was asked. Like he always did, like everyone told him, regardless of what he thought, or what he wanted to do.

Even this young, Andronikos knew that in some ways, the only ‘normal’ life for him was what he found through the lives of his friends. He’d gone on this minimal hunt to get away from the courtiers, the flowering attention—all of it. He wanted to be alone. It was only when he was alone, when he was away, that he could be himself. In the city, he had to sit rigidly, stoically, through meetings, ceremonies, and all manner of pretentiousness. To do otherwise was to invite gossip at best, and plotting at worst—both things the 12 year old knew from his step-father, mother, and history, to be bad. Emperors had toppled from their thrones for less, and child-emperors were especially vulnerable…

But beneath that exterior of grace and maturity was a twelve year old, a boy that longed to play, that wanted to whine, laugh, and joke—things he couldn’t do in the stuffy confines of ceremony and court that was The City, especially as news of his uncle’s rapidly deteriorating condition filtered out of the Great Palace. Initially at the start of the year Emperor Nikephoros had rallied—he’d called for wine and food, sat up in his bed, and even took papers from Andronikos’ step-father. However, all that changed with the coming of summer’s heat. Corruption and pus had started seeping from his wounds soon after midyear, and a fever quickly followed—one which remained unbroken even now, four months later. The Emperor had gone from lucid if in pain to barely waking at eat simple gruel. Even Andronikos knew it wouldn’t be long.

Yet as the boy looked at the proffered pistachio, he found even this getaway soiled by the needs of state—in this case, his tutor trying to use the excursion as a way to further lessons in ‘natural science.’

“Look for the tiniest detail, Andronikos,” Bacon dropped the nut into the Emperor’s hand. “The answers to our questions are often right in front of our noses, if we cared to look close enough.”

“Bullshit,” Ioannis yawned, lazily looking over at Bacon. “You’re full of bullshit.”

“Ioannis Angelos!” the priest erupted, like he did whenever Angelos let loose with his profoundly scandalous tongue.

“You said that honesty is the course of action for a noble, honorable man,” the son of the Prince of Ikonion said, voice high pitched and scratchy in mimicry of Bacon’s own. “I’m being honest! I think your little phrase is bullshit!”

Normally Andronikos would have snorted at his friend’s prickly comments—Ioannis was always good at using his cutting slash down the proud and vain. In some ways, Andronikos was jealous—where the young Emperor was forced to be quiet and respectful seemingly all the time, Ioannis, as a second son, was free to let loose with profanity, fight, and cause mayhem as he saw fit. Where Andronikos would bow politely, speak politely, and nod politely, Ioannis would spit at the foolish, curse at the vain, and tell anyone a dog was a dog, a horse was a horse—regardless of who the target of his tongue was, or their station.

ioannisangelos.jpg

“Do not sully my words with your dark logic!” Bacon snapped, bristling at his own words being flung back in his face. This too, on any other day, would have provoked laughter from Andronikos…

“Whatever,” Angelos waved his hand dismissively, “I’m going ahead to check the traps.” He spurred his horse slightly ahead, before staring at Andronikos with a mocking glare. “It all would’ve been simpler if someone had agreed to take the falcons today…”

His voice dropped off at Andronikos’ lack of a response. For a second, the two friends looked at each other, before Angelos finished the unspoken conversation with a nod. He yanked his horse about, and galloped ahead.

“Foolish boy,” Bacon hissed, before returning his full attention to his star pupil. “So, Andronikos, what does that tell you?”

Andronikos looked at the pistachio again, cursing its existence in his mind. “Perhaps the hard outer shell is meant to protect the seed on the inside.” The boy frowned, only partly from concentrating at the problem Bacon had posed. “But then how would it grow? Is the outer shell open to water and dirt? If so,” his mind went on, facets of knowledge and logic focusing on the problem, and not his emotions, “it does not make a good defense, does it?”

“So we’ve arrived at a quandary,” the tutor smiled, “a natural science problem. Why did God, in his infinite wisdom, create the pistachio with the hard outer shell? If it was for defense, the shell is not impermeable, it can be breached. But if it is permeable, it is not a solid def…”

“Perhaps God meant for the shell to protect a few, discourage lazy squirrels and humans from opening the tougher shells,” Andronikos interrupted with a growl. In a second he could think of about twenty members of court who would’ve asked a servant to open the pistachio for them out of sloth. “The easier shells are left by Him for the nourishment of other creatures?” he added quietly.

“Aristotle would have been proud of that deduction,” Bacon beamed. “Remember, Majesty, there is no problem that can’t be solved by the brothers of reason and faith,” Bacon said.

“Yes, Father Bacon,” Andronikos said mechanically. The priest frowned, and Andronikos looked down.

angryandronikos.jpg

“Do you not agree, Majesty?” Bacon asked.

“I…” Andronikos started to say, his mind wrestling between speaking the truth, or keeping decorum. Teaching shoved into hia mind since he could talk forced him towards the latter. “I wonder when Ioannis will return with the hares?” the boy said, forcing a smile onto his face. He looked over at Cecilia. “I’m starving!”

Her eyes were quiet, worried. Andronikos quickly looked down again. Those thoughts, those angry thoughts, started to well up again. Andronikos tamped out those flames, trying to keep the fire from escaping.

“Is everything alright, Majesty?” Bacon pressed. The flames welled up again in the boy’s mind, brighter and hotter than before. Bacon had been his teacher for five years—he knew Andronikos in and out, or at least, better than the other tutors.

The boy thought for a moment about telling the tutor to simply drop the subject, before deciding that would only make things worse—Roger Bacon practiced what he preached, and thought that all problems should be talked out, no matter how painful the subject matter. Andronikos wanted to tell him he was throwing dry logs on the embers in Andronikos’ mind. The boy settled on giving the priest a stare, a warning glance.

Drop the subject.

“Majesty, what is on your mind?” Bacon asked gently.

Finally, with a silent roar, Andronikos’ resolve snapped.

“That God as a piss-poor sense of humor,” Andronikos found himself growling, before his mind could catch his tongue.

“Andronikos?” Bacon blinked.

“I said God has a piss-poor sense of humor!” Andronikos heard himself say. He knew he was shouting now, but his voice sounded distant, far off, as if his mind was elsewhere while his mouth let loose with pent-up frustration and anger. “You speak of a Just God! What Just God kills the innocent and lets the guilty live long?”

The words hung in the air, a Sword of Damocles poised over Andronikos’ soul—and the boy didn’t care. There was relief, their was release, as soon as those words tumbled into the open. He felt his hands clench as he glared at the priest, the paragon of goodness and truth—lies, all of them!

“That’s a question that tries our faith,” Bacon said slowly, his voice still quiet, still damningly calm. That infuriated Andronikos more! Bacon was addressing him like he was some wild animal that needed to be shushed! He wasn’t! He was hurt! He was angry! And he wanted to know why.

“Sometimes God sees fit…”

“Well, God saw fit to make sure my father died when I was a babe,” Andronikos interrupted, “and God saw fit to create that beast of a horse that nearly killed my uncle!” the boy snapped. “God saw fit to make my mother marry a man that makes her sad! I hate… I…” Angry words rushed to Andronikos’ mouth, but now, late but firm, his mind finally caught up. No more words came out of his mouth. Instead, he gritted his teeth, and glared off into the glade. No damn deer in sight, of course.

kappadokiaandronikoshatesgod.jpg

For a split second, Andronikos stood alone, the silence of the woods closing in around him. He knew his friends were staring—even Ioannis didn’t have the temerity to utter what Andronikos almost said. But that long, agonizing moment was merely a moment. The next, he found a hand resting on each of his shoulders. The boy, angry at the world, looked left.

There was Cecilia, a look of quiet worry on her face. He then looked right—and up, at the quiet face of Master Bacon.

“God understands you are frustrated, Majesty,” the tutor knelt down, and gently took Andronikos’ now shaking hands. “But you must understand that God can see things that you cannot, and there is a reason, and a purpose, for all things under heaven!”

“But Master Bacon,” Andronikos said, his voice cracking. He cursed. He didn’t want his voice to crack! Why was his voice cracking now! “You always said we should try to understand the world around us! That…”

“Understanding the world means understanding that there are limits to our understanding,” the monk went on gently. “That there are things, no matter how hard we try, we will never know. A wise man accepts that, even as he pushes the sphere of his knowledge as far as it will go. Only a fool thinks he can know all.”

“Am I a fool?” Andronikos whispered, a tear coursing down his cheek.

“You are anything but a fool,” Bacon smiled, patting him on the head in an entirely unregal manner.

“You’re a lazy bum!” a voice echoed. Andronikos sniffed, then looked up ahead of the trio. Hand on his hip, triumphantly holding a brace of hares aloft, was a smirking Ioannis Angelos. “I had to catch all the hares, Andie! All of them!” the boy bellowed, smiling despite his bellicose words. “Get out of that swampy talk of yours and help me skin them!”

==========*==========​

So, our dear little Andronikos has major problems with God, as well as the need to keep his true desires, even simple boyhood wishes, secret because he’s now the Emperor. Will he crack under the strain? Or will he rise to the occasion? And how will having an education from the father of the scientific method affect him? Next, we travel to Spain, where Segeo’s fate will be made plain—but not before a brief stop at a villa in Konstantinopolis...

Last edited:
I like the buildup to the snap; it's neat little character portrait, even if there isn't the usual action and adventure.

He seems to have a lot of freedom for a young boy even so; maybe people give him space? He seems intense. Only Bacon doesn't seem to get it.

Nice view of the Emperors psyche, a little boy who knows he must act an Emperor.

Is the villa that of the Prince of Tuscany? Also, hope Segeo, or Sergius I, has a fitting end. Fools like him usually don't live too long.

So, is the martially-inclined Cecilia chosen as part of your Kwisatz Haderach breeding program? :p

Roger Bacon as one's tutor, what an amazing bounty of knowledge! Andronikos is at least receiving the best preparation possible to be Emperor... He's going to need it!

I can't wait to see how Segeo's treachery is rewarded - somehow I suspect he will be foolish enough to be taken alive, so that something exceedingly nasty will happen to him.

Blinding is done to people who are, were, or might be Emperor. Segeo is no such person, to do so would give him too much credit.

Now, breaking him on the wheel, that's a good old standby!

Or, given the fact that he allowed in the horse that wounded Nikephoros, perhaps he needs to be tied to four horses and ripped apart?

Bacon is an early Leibniz? That ought to be cool. :p
Somehow into my mind came Candide.

Quite an early 'scientific method'.
Andronikos shall surely change the world.

And who does her mother hate von Franken so much?
It could all be much worse.

Poor little Andronikos has never had a chance to be a child and live the happy life of childhood.

I feel for him and his sceptism but then again this trait could be very damaging in the future. I'm not sure if you get the same events as an Orthodox character as a Catholic one but I remember that with sceptical trait you can get events leading to outright excommunication. With such a huge Empire this outcome would be disasterous.

It really was a nice little insight into Andie's mind. Plus just a credit that you can produce such a nice and detailed post centered around one random event pop-up ;). Still though, as a Catholic, I do appreciate your ability to infuse real world ideals into your story. It makes it all the more entertaining and real. Faith through Reason is a very Catholic ideal, especially after Thomas Aquinas, and the fact that they both used Aristotle as a base for fleshing out their philosophies to unite Science and Theology is masterful on your part. Keep it up, BT. I anxiously await what interesting news we find in Constantinople and then out to Spain to watch that traitorous dog be racked, wheeled, drawn and quartered or whatever else you can come up with to cause the most pain for him working with that tricksey King of Sortmark ;)

~Hawk

For better or for worse, I can't wait until these three kids are running the empire. It seems vaguely reminiscent of Basil, Sophie and Rodrigo, but don't ask me why.

And between the architectural flowering under Thomas and the scientific and theological minds that Byzantium seems to be supporting now, I think future historians might be able to make a reasonable case for a renaissance (though they probably wouldn't call it that) beginning in the mid 1200s. And, if they're accurate, that could be very influential in the long run.

Edit: Oh, and five cents says that whatever happens in Spain, Eleutherios will be intimately involved.

And between the architectural flowering under Thomas and the scientific and theological minds that Byzantium seems to be supporting now, I think future historians might be able to make a reasonable case for a renaissance (though they probably wouldn't call it that) beginning in the mid 1200s. And, if they're accurate, that could be very influential in the long run.

In architecture and art I'd see a backlash agains the scale of the Thomasine style and a return to classical simplicity: neoclassicism in the 13th century.
In philosophy and science, a skeptical emperor might encourage a more empirical interpretation of the world around us, thus triggering a scientific and philosophical revolution but also a backlash from the church (esp. the patriarchies of the West which are quite far from the Emperor's reach and might even go "Reformed") and from other religious leaders: the wars of religion in the 13th/14th century?

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart kid to question god as a child in this era. (I'm not an Athiest, but it definitely shows independent thought to question what all the adults in your life are telling you, and this is a very taboo thing in this Era, especially in ultra conservative Byzantium.) Hopefully he starts believing again, or at least keeps it under wraps, because an Emperor who doesn't believe in God (the very person who bestowed his powers upon him.) isn't going to be too popular. Just the slight perceived Islamic tendencies of Gabriel were enough to get him pretty much disqualified for office, unless the army catapulted him there by force, before Frederica even came into the picture. So imagine what an Emperor who doesn't even believe in a DIFFERENT god would be thought of in Byzantium.

Smart kid to question god as a child in this era. (I'm not an Athiest, but it definitely shows independent thought to question what all the adults in your life are telling you, and this is a very taboo thing in this Era, especially in ultra conservative Byzantium.) Hopefully he starts believing again, or at least keeps it under wraps, because an Emperor who doesn't believe in God (the very person who bestowed his powers upon him.) isn't going to be too popular. Just the slight perceived Islamic tendencies of Gabriel were enough to get him pretty much disqualified for office, unless the army catapulted him there by force, before Frederica even came into the picture. So imagine what an Emperor who doesn't even believe in a DIFFERENT god would be thought of in Byzantium.
I think you are reading too much into the sceptical thing. Nothing Andronikos has said makes me belive he's an atheist, after all its difficult to hate God if you don't belive in God.