• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1)I like him. I like that boy. :D

2)And Thomas is just funny.

1) Agreed, he sounds very competent and potentially a good leader. And maybe if we are looking he won't be a philanderer or insane...but maybe that's asking to much :p

2) Poor chap, i feel bad for him. Maybe he became a loon because of the "orange" event...:rofl:

armoristan - 1) Andronikos has a lot of potential, but he's only ten. Heraklios had alot of potential as well... and he didn't get very far.

2) Probably more genetics from the man who begat the orange event... :)

Basilieus44 - Ambitious doesn't begin to describe it. Given enough labor, even with that tech level it could be done... but that amount of labor (and resources required) would likely kill the empire. (No grain fleet for Konstantinopolis? We saw what happened last time the grain fleet was badly disrupted...)

Alan de Lane - Yes, in this timeline if he ascends to the throne he would be Andronikos I.

RGB - Oh yes. And I have no doubt Thomas might follow his illustrious predecessor in having the Marmara whipped if it didn't cooperate and collapsed several of his dams...

Kirsch27 - Yes, draining the Marmara. The whole thing... all upteen hundred square miles of water. Without dealing with the drainage from the Black Sea. Yeah.

Hawkeye1489 - Firstly, thank you for the compliments. GRRM is one of my favorite authors, and to be even compared to him is a high honor. Andronikos definitely has swagger, and yes, he could end up like Basil and losing that youthful superiority to become a wiser man. Hopefully it doesn't take a tragedy like Menorca for him to learn that lesson, however.

AlexanderPrimus - Yes, he's only still 11. He could learn to hate playing music, he could become a drunk, he could catch a disease and die, he could be assassinated... there's no telling where he could end up.

humacalculator - Now if Andronikos were right all of the time, that'd require Kwitzach Haderach level of prescience. As Andronikos has not yet tasted the Water of Life, it's a safe guess that he won't be right 100% of the time. What he does in those times when his first instinct isn't right will determine whether he'll be great, or a disaster, or if he becomes emperor at all.

Fulcrumvale - (Again, the mantra, lol) He's only 11, so he's got a lot to learn. If he takes the lessons of life to heart before a testing time comes (whether if that is near at hand or a long time away), he could be something special. But if he doesn't, yes, a headstrong, arrogant man is the last person you'd want running a convoluted empire. One thing Andie does have on his side is that his uncle is still relatively young... Nikephoros in 1258 is sill only 36. Fortune willing, he easily has another decade on the throne, barring disaster, and that's another decade for Andie to learn to face the world and his own shortfalls.

Nenekhara - Aw, what's wrong with Cecilia? Latins need lovin' too! :D If Asbjorn and Thomas became friends... oh lordy, the things that would be built...

asd21593 - He's made a friend, one who apparently can knock him off his pedestal and then some.

von Sachsen - He has potential to be a Manuel, but without the... sociopathic... tendencies. As far as we know. ;) As for France, that'd be a MASSIVE endeavor. France might be shakier than it was during the days of Drogo, but the French king can still call on lords from Linconshire to Languedoc. Romanion has a far larger and far better trained army, but projecting all that power into an invasion of France and England--that'll take a mighty big man to attempt THAT kind of endeavor!

FlyingDutchie - If Andronikos keeps being himself, he's certainly going to make enemies that way. As for Thomas, Albrecht just snapped. He couldn't handle it diplomatically any more because Thomas just didn't get it...

Tommy4ever - Andie is rather belligerent, but he's also ten. Ten year olds think most problems are simply solved. Age had a tendency to break children of that habit, but if it doesn't, we could have another Thomas I on our hands (invade them all!)...

c0d5579 - Oh, the project certainly could be done using technology of the day, its just that investment of resources would be so vast it would likely cause the overthrow of the central government (either through bankruptcy, or riots from people in Konstantinopolis who want their bread from the missing grain fleet...)

Saithis - I think this is a record. Two replies in a row? ;)

Enewald - If Thomas had Legos, he would probably die of malnutrition. I doubt the man would eat, or sleep, for want of playing with them... :)

Vesimir - There's a lot to like... he's cultured, he's clearly smart. He's also vain and has maybe a bit of a superiority complex, but there's time to mend that...

...or is there?

Nikolai -Success is the fine line between genius and madness. Time will tell which side of the line Andie leaps towards.

4th Dimension - Oh yez. Sortmark wants its territories, Tommy (4?) wants his dad's crown, and Segeo wants respect. Will Albie and Nikky be able to adequately meet all three challenges at once? We shall see. :)

I have an outline done for the next update, nothing more. I might get a chance to work on it in earnest Sunday, but probably not before. It'll probably be up next Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on how things unfold...

EDIT - Fixed some syntax silliness on my part. Bleh. Dumb keyboard. It's obviously the keyboard's fault. :p

Last edited:
Saithis - I think this is a record. Two replies in a row? ;)

One, two, three! Three replies!

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

But seriously, I like insano-Thomas. The thing is, he talks about draining the sea and I go 'dude that's a /sweet/ idea, count me in for this.' That's the kind of random project I like to think about and plan out.

Am I insane? :(

One, two, three! Three replies!

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

But seriously, I like insano-Thomas. The thing is, he talks about draining the sea and I go 'dude that's a /sweet/ idea, count me in for this.' That's the kind of random project I like to think about and plan out.

Am I insane? :(

Do I detect a Sesame Street reference?
No, I don't think draining the sea is a good idea, it would deprive the capitol of a harbor, when they have a superb natural harbor as is, and would mean they have quadruple walls on one side of town, and merely a big mud puddle on the other. (Ha ha ha, our mighty walls are impregnable!!! Unless you think you are capable of... walking a few miles in the mud! MUAHAHAH!)However, the fact that you realize the inherent foolishness of this idea and still think it's 'sweet' means you are probably not insane, just WEEEEEEEEIRD. And that's ok.

Do I detect a Sesame Street reference?
No, I don't think draining the sea is a good idea, it would deprive the capitol of a harbor, when they have a superb natural harbor as is, and would mean they have quadruple walls on one side of town, and merely a big mud puddle on the other. (Ha ha ha, our mighty walls are impregnable!!! Unless you think you are capable of... walking a few miles in the mud! MUAHAHAH!)However, the fact that you realize the inherent foolishness of this idea and still think it's 'sweet' means you are probably not insane, just WEEEEEEEEIRD. And that's ok.

I didn't say it was strategically sound, I just think it sounds epic. xD

armoristan - Andronikos has a lot of potential, but he's only ten.

AlexanderPrimus - Yes, he's only still 11.

Fulcrumvale - (Again, the mantra, lol) He's only 11, so he's got a lot to learn.

Did anybody else notice that Andronikos aged a year during the course of BT's replies? :p

Did anybody else notice that Andronikos aged a year during the course of BT's replies? :p

You know something funny? I DID think it was weird when he said eleven the first time, because I had read ten somewhere else I thought, but when I skimmed back over, I only looked for numbers, so I thought I must have been crazy, when really he spelled ten out instead of writing 10. So yes, I did notice it, and then thought I didn't. So now I know I'm not a loon.

Andie is 11... I'm not sure how ten slipped in there so much. :eek:o Chalk that up to an authorial mistake!

Sai, I have to agree the project of draining the Marmara is awesome in its ambition and scope (the part of me that played with Legos as a kid loves it!) but its not practical. :( Loving the impractical isn't madness, going through with the impractical simply because you love it might be...

Still no progress on the update yet. :( I've had an interim stuck in my head for a while, so I'm debating starting the update, or "clearing the buffers" and doing the interim first...

Well the world of EU III will certainly be interesting. I can't see England forever being under the French yoke although Scotland is certainly a problem in that region too. I predict more major conflict between a French speaking England and a more Britannia-esque Scotland. Who knows who will form Great Britain first?

Burgundy as a coloniser, eh? Should be very interesting....

I think Hispania will go a similar historical route in all fairness. Byzantium saved Hispania from Islamic domination but didn't quell the fires of underlying religious tensions and nationalism - something that brought Spain to its long "reconquista". I expect to see more conflict with the Castilians and Andalucians should Byzantium collapse control in that region.

Sortmark could end up competing over Denmark in the future. The "its OUR homeland" movement becoming significant should they fail to grab more territories in the Russias.

Anyway, enough predictions, onto the main update!

Not sure if Andronikos could be a sociopath but I detect a Manuel in the making. He seems more a "sit back and command" type of fellow rather than an upfront and "we fight until our death on the battlefield" type like Thomas II. So we could have a Byzantium in more stable hands....

You know, I could see Andie getting his fingers involved gradually in England should France become a pest to Byzantine interests once again....this is all theoretical, of course.

I don't view Nikephoros IV as a strong emperor. He's got a lot of stress and strain. I think he's bitten off more than he could chew. Hispania? No problem. But the biggest quagmire that is Byzantium? Eh....

Thomas III certainly has gone insane! He's like a big man child! I do feel slightly disappointed he didn't stay on as the main Emperor until his own demise but still, he's certainly an interesting Emperor, nontheless. Will he cause any civil trouble for Byzantium or does Von Franken take him down? Interesting times lay ahead....

I expect Gabriel to have "one last hurrah" before he succumbs. He's not the type to whittle away and die without one final glory. Not sure what it'll be at this point but a lion can only be held captive for so long.....

Finally, the update itself. Personally, I like updates. Depends what you have in mind for an interim though if you have any writers block, just write about another region in the world in this time period. Some more Sortmark, maybe England or France, heck, even Scotland or Sweden! Plenty of action going on outside of Byzantium....

Still, you'll make the right decision I'm sure. :D

Ksim3000 - You might have hitten your analysis of Nikephoros dead on... he's certainly capable, but he's also trying to do a herculean task--reform a behemoth empire. In the process, he's certainly showing strain, and there's a chance he's missed quite a bit. I think his legacy will be determined by the effects of his efforts, probably through the rest of his lifetime and beyond. If his reforms prove useful and inspired, he'll be viewed as a great emperor. If the distraction leads to chaos and destruction, he'll be a failure.

Vesimir & Kirsch27 - Thou needest beg Lord AlexanderPrimus for an update on the Scottish lost soul... :)

Still working on update, but to hold everyone over, here's a little something: It's a quick map of all the various Komnenid holdings in the Empire, by the holding family's descent, marked at its first branch from the imperial line (Alexios-Demetrios-Manuel-Basil-Thomas I-Thomas II-), and by whether their descent is direct male descent, or through indirect female descent. The results show how many Komnenids are hanging around as official princes (I marked them down by princely holdings, there are several kingdoms in this mix as well)...

komnenidsinempire1258.png

labelcopy.jpg

The big dynastic winner is surprisingly Alexios of Kappadokia's brother Isaakios, who by direct descent or marriage is related to the Princes of Antioch, Galilee, Tunis, Achaea, Athenai, Epireos, Dyrrachion, Nikaea and Thrace. Following behind is Emperor Manuel, who has branches in Ancona, Apulia, Benevento, Damietta and Egypt (Alexandria) by direct descent, and Leptis Magna, Kappadokia, Cairo and Crete by indirect... Now imagine if all these people, with all their claims, decided to truly squabble... :D

Imagine, if they form their own culture group.
With exponential growth, starting in 1066, you would have the galaxy populated by Komnenids by 1900. :cool:

Maybe create them as a culture?
Then we can see how the world shall get integrated by Vicky II. :D

Just curious, but how did you show the joint Emperors in-game?

Imagine, if they form their own culture group.
With exponential growth, starting in 1066, you would have the galaxy populated by Komnenids by 1900. :cool:

Maybe create them as a culture?
Then we can see how the world shall get integrated by Vicky II. :D

And they will communicate only trough Backstabbing and sex :D