• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great as always, and as always the politcs of Byzantium are, well, byzantine.
What, Thomas III going even more insane then he is already? How is that possible?

Well, he could always paint his bottom purple and start howling at the moon....

“He says they will serve as the gateway to the new imperial home,” Albrecht von Franken, riding next to the Emperor, hissed. The Megoskyriomachos’ tone regarding his titular lord Emperor Thomas III had grown increasingly acidic of late. Segeo could only shake his head—he’d only heard of the columns representing the seven virtues and seven deadly sins yesterday, the latest architectural abortion to come from the mind of that madman.
:D

Well, after much time and sleep deprivation I have finally managed to catch up. Now I have to wait for updates like everyone else :).

Of the various emperors I think that Manuel and Thomas II were the most developed, since I felt the most ambivalence toward them. I knew that Thomas I was evil, and that the Megaloprepis was good, but I was undecided during their reigns. Manuel was altogether too fond of poisoning people, but he always had the best interests of the Empire at heart, and I think he was the only Emperor that had a smooth succession. Thomas II’s character flaws were largely because of his internal demons and madness, and he cannot be blamed for that. At Neapolis he made the Mongols work for their victory and came within two inches of killing Genghis Khan himself, instead of the historical ‘Mongols show up, ruthlessly kill everyone without breaking a sweat’. Personally I think his death scene was the most moving piece of the entire AAR. The Norman charge at Mt. Tabor was the most awesome.

Now I know the game has already been played, but I want to see a massive Mongol invasion of Persia, which is met by Nikephoros the pessimist (my favorite living character since Alexios died) and the eyepatch sultan (what movie are those pictures from?) and is totally obliterated. I want to see 80,000 Mongols go in and 2 come out. I’m really not a fan of the Mongols. I hate the medieval Venetians for 1204; the Mongols of the time period basically committed 1204 across a continent. On another note, a while back you had a picture of a Persian princess who was a contemporary of Tamerlane; what movie is that from?

I was saddened to see that my board name has been demoted, to be replaced by the somewhat tacky Megas Komnenos. Although the true test of the Komnenid name becoming synonymous with power will be if non-Byzantine rulers use it, something I can’t see happening unless the dynasty falls.

But congratulations on an epic and excellent piece of alternate history. Now I’m going to go have an internal debate on whether or not to buy CK while I wait for the next update.

And please have a wall fall on Thomas III. It’d be appropriate, and a homage to the good old days of Hajnal and the Megas.

Hey everyone! No work done yet on the next update, but I do have an interim!

Basilieus444 - Welcome to joining the other patient people! I'd echo Leviathan, go ahead and get CK. It's inexpensive compared to many other games out there, and even 6 years on the depth is amazing. You'll enjoy it! :)

So Manuel and Thomas II, eh? I think you're in common company with having Manuel as a favorite emperor, but Thomas II is a little rarer to hear. From my perspective, he was definitely one of the most difficult ones to write because of his madness. It was a challenge to make him seem all things at once because of his disease--spartan, brilliant, vicious, mad, all at the same time.

The pic came from "Willow" actually. :)

von Sachsen - A purple tushy would be ridiculously expensive, and Albrecht's been clamping down on Tommy's budget... you'll see why...

armoristan - That actually sounds like a good idea for a future interim. Keep reminding me, I'm scatterbrained and I'll likely forget!

Kirsch27 - o.0

That is all I have to say about the mental image you gave me.

AlexanderPrimus - Hopefully soon the treat will be reciprocated! (AP's AAR "Aethellan: A Tale of Kings" will be returning shortly!)

asd21593 - "Friend" might be too strong a term. "Short-term-acquaintance-who-is-buttering-him-up-for-something" is a better one.

Tommy4ever - From Nikephoros' view, it makes total sense. Alexandros is apolitical (unlike Segeo, who has a clear agenda to raise his family and will undoubtedly parade his title around and make a fuss should he get it), and younger (won't need replacement for a long time, a good thing on all fronts). Remains to be seen if Nikky knows to watch his back from his father-in-law or not though.

Christian V - Thank you for the correction, and I'll make a note of the proper spelling, so I don't insert foot into mouth as much. :) I'm afraid you'll find my knowledge of Danish is about as sparse as my knowledge of actual Greek, so there's a great deal of "faking it" throughout the story. "Megos" instead of "Megas," now "Krigleder" instead of "Krigsleder." :cool:

RGB - I think we can safely say Segeo is going to fail at his goal. But what about Olaf? And how does the incompetent fit into the Danish King's plans?

Enewald -
1) Basil's sons, in order, went David, Manuel, Thomas, Gabriel, Heraklios.
2) In game Sortmark is a big collection of Danish counties, as well as the Danish crown (which moved to the steppe), in southern Russia that is continually waxing and waning. Their core provinces have started to go Orthodox, and I think by 1255 at least one had gone Danish culturewise...

Hannibal X - Sortmark is definitely trying to take the Muscovy path... picking up the pieces after the Mongols, uniting all the Russias... but Sortmark has a Roman neighbor to the south that is used to partial awe from its northern companion. Anything less might be grounds for Roman intervention (once the Roman army is back up and running)

Qorten - Wanting to tear down the Hagia Sophia is hard to beat, but it happens... :D

Vesimir - Considering how incompetent Segeo is, its no real wonder why Nikky tends to ignore him. However, Nikky's had his eye on Olaf... Bataczes' posting shows that. The big question is whether two and two will come together before its too late...

4th Dimension - Possibly. Or a Catalan/Ukrainian giftbasket of doom. 50/50.

KlavoHunter - Part of me wonders if the Romans expect 'Steppe-Vikings' to be subtle enough to scheme... so far, Roman encounters with them have usually shown the Sortmarkers are good at beating people up, yelling, and swinging axes while on horseback. Poisoning? That'd be a new addition to their skillset...

Without further ado... some of Thomas III's building projects! (culled from an endless list of building pics taken from his reign... and written in the manner of a 20th century historian trying to find some way to "rehabilitate" the image of a "Mad Emperor Thomas"...)

thomasinefortressescopy.jpg

thomasinepalacescopy.jpg

thomasinechurchescopy.jpg

Part of me really wants to know, in game, just how much Thomas III spent in the course of his reign on his building projects.

"present palace of the Sultans"

:eek: Does that imply modern Roman rule in Egypt?

I believe Egypt is a republic with nebulous borders fighting a fascist Greek/Slavic state with an undefined bordered in the upper marches fo Syria.

a fascist Greek/Slavic state

Greek/Slavic state of awesome, if you don't mind. And western Europe is our undeveloped colony :D

Greek/Slavic state of awesome, if you don't mind. And western Europe is our undeveloped colony :D

Would the other way round.

Greeks always playing their Byzantine court intrigues while Western Europeans concentrate on more important matters, leading to Greeks becoming colonial citizens. :p
The purpose of the Roman Empire since the beginning has been expansion, when the expansion stopped, it became weak and lost strength and land, but with new expansions it always grew stronger and better.
Everything is fine when expanding.

Too bad they failed with WC irl. :p

btw, post number 14999.
I had to that one here. :cool: