• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, AFAIK Timelines only has one more season left, and Rome AARisen still has at least another year to go, so I'm not expecting too much overlap there. Moreover, Rome AsundAAR (or whatever BT ends up calling the sequel) would last from 1399 all the way to 1820, or whenever he decides to call it quits. Such a project would be years in the making, so I'm expecting/hoping to see a very long and healthy Byzantine prominence in the EU3 forums in the not too distant future. :)

And once the Eu3 noobs learn of the magnificence of this epic tale, the CK forums will be flooding with newcomers. :D

General_BT ought to be renamed then, maybe Fieldmarshal_BT :p

Yes, I suppose that BT might actually bring in some new CK customers, too. It'd be interesting to see the increase in ck purchases for the first couple months of this being in EU3, it might actually register on a graph somewhat. Maybe not though, but it'd be neat if it did.

Well, AFAIK Timelines only has one more season left, and Rome AARisen still has at least another year to go, so I'm not expecting too much overlap there. Moreover, Rome AsundAAR (or whatever BT ends up calling the sequel) would last from 1399 all the way to 1820, or whenever he decides to call it quits. Such a project would be years in the making, so I'm expecting/hoping to see a very long and healthy Byzantine prominence in the EU3 forums in the not too distant future. :)

Ha. That's what canonized WANTS you to think. So you always assume end and final resolution of mysteries, is just by the corner. :D

Hmmm... long batch of replies this time! I'll do my best to address everything that was said!

Italy - I completely understand some of the sentiments that northern Italy especially shouldn't be a rollover for the Komnenids, and if you look at the story, it wasn't. Southern Italy was the origin and final stand of Basilieia's rebellion against Manuel, and two federations of northern Italian city states backed Leo Komnenos' rebellion in southern Italy in the early 1200s after Thomas I's campaigning in the north. Thomas II then reconquered the area, only to have it revolt again during the chaos of 1216-1220. The only reason it hasn't revolted since is likely because Bardas Komnenos' invasion was so devastating--the old city of Milan was completely torn down, brick by brick, and the survivors, barely 10,000, had to rebuild their city a few miles away. Off the top of my head, Florence, Pavia, Pisa and Bologna were at least sacked.

As for the larger ports of Genoa and Venice, initially they were a part of the revolt, but regardless of who owns them, they are still prime commercial locations for goods from the East to enter Europe. They still have some autonomy (there is likely a Doge still, for example, and both are part of the imperial desmense, they report directly to the Emperor, not some Prince), and they're plugged into the largest and most secure trade network in Europe. That's cowed the independence hotheads, but only so long as that trade network remains secure. If war galleys start crisscrossing the Med instead of taking down pirates, both city's could quickly change their minds.

EU3 Portion of This - Still a long way from it, but I've decided I'm going to handle the last infamous reign as a dual project--it will be a historical denoument here in CK, and posted simultaneously in the EU3 thread (yes, Rome AsundAAR), as the introduction..

Nikephorian Army Setup - Call it what you want, it's an attempt to reign in wider parts of the empire through that most Byzantine of things, making new offices and titles. The basic idea for this could trace back to the old OTL Late Roman legionary system, based around frontier defense forces to conduct everyday work and slow an invader, field armies to repel serious challenges, and finally an imperial reserve to act as an ultimate backup. However, as people have pointed out, it leads to all sorts of interesting what ifs... if the CinC of the East decides he should be emperor and revolts, the system has automatically broken down, regardless of whether his subordinate army commanders respond to his call or rally around the flag. For better or worse, this is the army organization that'll see the Komnenid Empire through some more glorious triumphs before its ultimate collapse and ruin.

Komnenids and Ethnic Relations - The Komnenids bear alot more resemblance to the Middle/Early Byzantine Empire than OTL Komnenid Empire with regards to other ethnicities--the Byzantines are big, so they feel alot safer about coopting native elites, and turning them "Roman" (speaking Greek, Orthodox faith, loyalty to the Empire). You likely wouldn't see a Massacre of the Latins at this point in the empire, though once the empire gets wobbly, questions of "well who is Roman really?" will start to take more poignancy. Of course, like in OTL after the collapse of the old Roman Empire, you'll have all sorts of people claiming they are "Roman" and their neighbor is merely a "barbarian...

On Andronikos - :rofl: All you know right now is there's something wrong with his eyes, and he likes to play musical instruments. That doesn't necessarily make him a sociopath, or Nero, or a great culture artiste, or Manuel reborn. It makes him an 8 year old kid who likes to play the lyra and has a problem with his eye. :)

On Hunting Accidents - Red herring, or significant plot point? We'll see next update!

On This Story Making an Impact in Sales, etc. etc. - No idea, but very high praise... thank you. :)

I spent most of the weekend out of town so I haven't had a chance to write the next update.. however, I do have outlines for it and the following six or seven done. I'd say the update should be up probably Wednesday, perhaps Thursday. So I'll leave you with the piccies I've chosen for three new major characters in the story that will be shortly introduced (next update).

someonetwo.jpg
segeokomnenos.jpg
konstantinoskomnenos.jpg

This AAR made me buy CK if thats any indication of things to come :).
And i guess we will just have to wait and see with Andy, but i have a strange feeling about him. Lets just say i wouldnt share a toast with him :cool:.

On Andronikos - :rofl: All you know right now is there's something wrong with his eyes, and he likes to play musical instruments. That doesn't necessarily make him a sociopath, or Nero, or a great culture artiste, or Manuel reborn. It makes him an 8 year old kid who likes to play the lyra and has a problem with his eye. :)

But we have overactive imaginations!

One of them is an axe-wielding psycho in a Persian helmet. Persian helmets = steppe = Sortmark?

And all from one movie no less.

*Huff, puff*
Don't update too fast! I'm only on page 40 and catching up again :p
Splendid AAR so far! *Back to reading*

Sacrilège!

Don't listen ! Update as soon as possible; I have just read through all of this splendid saga and now I'm part of the growing crowd that has to WAIT for updates.

My congrats to the General; this is really a beautiful piece of work.

13 and a half columns! How ridiculous! Everyone knows how unstable that would be, even if the foreman wasn't incompetent! Now, I have been working on a design for a new Imperial chapel with 14 columns, one for each of the Vitures and Deadly Sins, and for each column there is an accompanying flying butress....

von Sachsen - That is totally getting used in the next update somehow! :D And yes, all from one movie, though now that I have the Merlin DVDs I'll be pulling from there too more often...

Kirsch27 - There won't be too much Thomas next update, but you'll get your dose shortly! And yup, that's Reynauld of Chatillon--though the helmet design is, ironically, a Near Eastern type rather than a typical Western/Northern European one... so you were both right.

Hannibal X - That's how I got started in AARland... my first post I think was a comment to an AAR in the CK forums ("The Paleologi" if I remember right? :confused:)

Vipsania - Welcome to AARland and the story (belated welcome by the sounds of it!) How have you enjoyed things so far? I'm always interested in hearing new opinions of how things have gone, both good and ill!

Hellvink - Welcome to the AAR! It's a marathon, not a sprint... just like it was writing the whole thing :)

RGB - Steppe Danes? Nope. The Danes of Sortmark are currently led by this fellow:

theoden3.jpg

Vesimir - No, none of the characters displayed are Sortmarkese (I'm still trying to come up with how someone would refer to someone from Sortmark-- Sortmarkese? Sortmarker? Sortmarkian?), they're all Romans. Though as an aside, the new imperial army now has a new heavy axe tagmata made of Sortmark veterans--mercenaries, mostly...

Servius Magnus - I'd hope you wouldn't be giving him too many strong spirits, he's only an 8 year old after all! :)

Next update is about 50% done. I'm going to bust at it tonight and tomorrow, but it'll probably not be done until Friday or Saturday. :( If I can find an appropriate topic I can do in a short amount of time, I might spew out an interim to hold you guys over in the meantime! I've been bad... Distant Worlds has held my attention recently, and I as the Galactic Empire am in the midst of a power struggle with the Ketarov Republic for galactic supremacy. For now, they're my friends, and we form the largest trade consortium in existence... as I gobble up minor powers in preparation for the inevitable final confrontation...

Current plan: 15 Pearl Harbors across several thousand light years of space. If I can turn the Ketarov 3rd, 6th, and 12th Battlefleets into a mass of molten ceramics and titanium, I'll be able to send in my World Destroyer to their capital and end things once and for all...

Sortmarker Mercenaries, and descendents of the Nubiatakoi? :cool: