• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Happy guessing!

At some point I expect an Arab uprising, the empire really needs something to stir it up if the Mongols are to have a chance for comeback :D

Also you really need to take that last bit of med coast from the frenchies, they are ruining the pretty maps of mare nostrum :(

As for the guys, I guess the one that looks like a musketeer is Alexandros of Mesopotamia. And the Pirate is the ruler of the Seljuk Turks. The eyepatch is correct. The colour of skin is correct. And his new clothes mean that the turks are slowly improving their situation.

The pirate is an old aqaintance of ours actually, we met him some updates ago. He's the Seljuk sultan, the one who submitted to Gabriel and fought the Mongols alongside Romaion. I'm puzzled he's shown as a new character, he's definitely not.:confused:

All I can say about one of those characters is...

I guess nobody here ever read the Chronicles of the Golden Cross. :(

I did! But it's been too long AP.:( You gotta update! Soon! :mad:

As for the characters, they all look like they are descendant from Iberians...

Yeah, "read" as in past tense, the point being that one of those characters *may* be directly pertinent to something that had to do with a past Chronicles update or two... (Hint, hint, wink, wink.)

I'm afraid I haven't updated it for a long time because of a computer crash where I lost all my data. I should be updating my other AAR within a few weeks though... ;)

And of course there'll always be room for a few "Komnenid Kameos." :D

Hmmmmm. Me thinks the picture of the female could possibly be Gabriel and Frederica's daughter in the future. The, uh, guy with the blonde hair I'm guessing could possibly be either a grown up Andronikos or one of Gabriel's sons. Maybe young Thomas himself?

No idea about the pirate guy. Could be Sulieman II but I doubt it.

So Gabriel ended the way of Demetrios Megas, surprise surprise.

The Aionos has come and is probably well on his way to misadventures in Jeddah...and to be honest I've stopped even guessing and will just keep reading. It's turning out amazingly.

Is Gabriel dead, or just content to do absolutely nothing? Seems pretty ridiculous to me, but then again he is a complete loon. Seems like Nikephoros the Elder (Possibly the elder, anyways... I mean the Emperor not the Despot.) has decided not to rule from his home in Spain. I kind of wondered if he would perhaps decide to rule from Rome instead, considering it's central location, but I assume that Konstantinople is just so much larger and more advanced than any other city that to move the capitol to a backwater like Rome, (Which is still probably a bit depopulated from the ravaging Thomas I gave it, and the Italian Wars that followed.) would be controversial to say the least. Has Thomas III been ousted somehow, or is he simply given money for his buildings and left well enough alone? And finally, what's up with the Pope and France and those rapscallions in Scandinavia? (Not to mention the once-great Arpads...) With the pope in Hamburg or Bremen or wherever he is, it seems like he might be anxious to regain Rome, or has he given up on that rather hopeless cause by now?

Kirsch27 - Gabriel is still alive, and Gabriel is still the one everyone in this new political arrangement fears. His excommunication and Nikephoros' palace coup have effectively sidelined him, but he's not dead--Nikephoros and Alexandros simply couldn't commit patricide, and as for Albrecht... well... we'll get into what's going on in Konstantinopolis shortly, where most of your other questions will be answered too!

RGB - Yes, save he didn't have a Nikolaios who thought his talents were worth saving. The Komnenid dynasty is firmly in place... no heroes are needed, at least in Romanion. Persia though...

Morrell8 - All in due time... :D

FrozenWall - Some major things religiously are stirring. All I'll say is you may regret your wishes...

Vesimir - That became a serious problem later on in game. Part of the reason I engineered things near the end to blow the whole mess up. It was too... peaceful!

Leviathan07 - I hope there's time to meet Georgios II... you'll find he's an... interesting...character. :)

All I'll say on the guesses is...

No pirates.
No Persians (or Persoi as they'll be calling themselves in a generation or two. Any better Greek translations or ideas for "Hellenic Persians?").

Next update is about half done. In the meantime, I have YET ANOTHER interim, one that in light of what will happen in the last century of the Empire, will be sorely needed--A table showing the ranks of the aristocracy during the mid and late Komnenid Empire:

komnenidcrownscopy.jpg

With the creation of the title Megas Komnenos, the rise of the Komnenid dynasty is complete--their name has become synonymous with imperial power to the point the name is an imperial title. At the same time, the dynasty's blood has literally diluted itself into every major dynatoi house and almost every family of note in Europe.

Under this new nomenclature, the High Emperor in Konstantinopolis has numerous options to choose from when creating rewards, bribes, or new territories. Imperial titles have been reshuffled--Autokrator now is a lesser imperial title, held by Thomas III as well as the sons of Gabriel. Basilieus, as of 1255, is a vacant title, but it has been further demoted to lie midway between an imperial title and a mere royal title. Rigas is only held by Georgios II in his capacity as King of Arabia, and was once held by Alexios I of Mesopotamia as well.

Exarchos still remains in use among the great lords of the West, a remnant of the days of Basil III. At present, there are five lords that use this title. Underneath the still hereditary title of Exarchos is the non-hereditary award of Despotes, as created by Albrecht von Franken. Fifteen lords have this title. Underneath each i[]Despotes[/i] (and usually appointed at his discretion to serve as a Regent/Second in Command) is a Kephalos. Underneath these lie the mere nobility of the empire, the princes and the counts, the former numbering well over one hundred and the latter likely approaching the half millenium mark.

These are aristocratic and administrative titles only. As you will soon see, often one person will hold multiple offices--a lord might be Megos Domestikos, Despotes, as well as a prince. As a rule, being a Prince in one's own right is a gateway to the higher aristocratic titles--one must be a prince to be named a Despotes, for example. As of 1255, other than Exarchos, Prigkipas and Komes all other non-imperial, non-royal titles are at the pleasure of the Megas Komnenos, who also has by treaty sole power to create new royal and imperial titles.

Suitably Byzantine, eh? :)

EDIT - Kaisar is not included, as it is an appellation given to the heir apparent. It's an appointed, aristocratic position, but it lies outside of the hierarchy.

EDIT 2 - Fixed things. Georgios II is King of Arabia, not Mesopotamia.

Last edited:
Ahh, the good old days when Basileus was on top and a Komes was actually somewhat relevant.

SO MUCH TITLE INFLATION.

A few questions.

Is Arabia a part of the empires feudal structure or just a client state?
Now is persia also part of the empire or just a client state?

And i love the new title, is it an offical one or just an agnomen?

Wooooooo the new blood shall revitalize the empire.

So im counting a lot of Emperors here

Nikephoros IV

Thomas III

Nikephoros V ( i presume, or possibly nearos)

Alexandros I

and Gabriel I all in terms of relative power.

Has there ever been five emperors at once in roman history?

Last edited:
Has there ever been five emperors at once in roman history?

Yes, there was a period of crisis in the Roman Empire at the beginning of the fourth century a.d. which saw the demise of the Tetrarchy (the rule of four Emperors). At that time the Empire was ruled by Galerius, Constantius Chlorus (both Augusti), Maximinus (Caesar to Galerius) and Flavius Valerius Severus (Caesar to Constantius). At the death of Constantius, his troops promoted his son, Constantine (the future Great) to succeed him as Augustus in place of the lawful Maximinus. Besides this legal crisis, the Tetrarchy also faced the challenge of the usurpers Maximian and his son, Maxentius, who also claimed the title of Augusti and who defeated and murdered Flavius Valerius Severus. Thus, by 307 there were four claimants to the position of Augusti (Galerius, Constantine, Maximian and Maxentius), one Caesar (Maximinus) and one "retired" emperor, Diocletian, the man who devised the whole sistem in the first place and who still had alot of say in the affairs of the Empire (even though he preffered to grow vegetables instead). As if it wasn't complicated enough, between 308 and 311 the African diocese supported Domitius Alexander's claim for the tiara, while an attempt at peaceful resolution of the conflict, the conference at Carnuntum in 308, would succeed only in making things worse by promoting Licinius as Augustus, and alienating Constantine, Maximian and Maxentius. In the end it would be Constantine who would manage to defeat all his rivals and found the great city that bore his name for a thousand years. For more information, check out http://www.friesian.com/romania.htm#domin

Last edited:
And what rank does the prince of Arabia have?

and the lord of Turk?

How many Komnenoi have there been so far in the game? :p
There is dynastic tool that allows you to view that. :cool:

Ah, title inflation/deflation. Very Byzantine indeed.

Nice little perspective interim. Although I gotta say, its pretty bad when even Autocrat is devalued by something else ;)

Nice little perspective interim. Although I gotta say, its pretty bad when even Autocrat is devalued by something else ;)

You know you've got a lasting legacy when even your name becomes a great title...

You know you've got a lasting legacy when even your name becomes a great title...

Like, say, Caesar? :p

Though I'm not sure I like "Megas Komnenos" as a title, unless it's an informal first-among-equals kind of title ("Princeps" comes to mind here), because it is almost inevitable that some day, the dynasty will fail. There are a lot of Komnenids out there at this point, but all it takes is one successful military coup, and you have a new dynasty. Unfortunately, the "BBBB" title ("King of Kings, Ruling over Kings" in translation) is even more clumsy. "Kosmokrator," perhaps? Later emperors did use that title.