• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Meh. I'm much more interested in the Nestorians than these Aionites.

On with the intrigue!

I recently discovered this AAR, and I think it is one of the best pieces of alternate history I have ever read, published or not (and I don't even own CK). Currently I'm way behind, with the Third Seljuk war just ending and Manuel the Butcher poisoning monks. But I look forward to seeing this continue on, hopefully into EU3 where I'll actually understand the gameplay aspects.

And we all know what happened the last time someone who claimed they were a prophet was banished to a remote Arabian town.
And happy 4000!

Mmmm, No. What he claims is what basically Muhamed claimed. That he is the Prophet of God, just like Moses and Jesus were. Or so he claimed.

Hmm...talk about religious trials. At first it echoed to the scene between Pilot and Jesus, but Adhid is just too sure of himself to be a "second Jesus" for lack of a better term. Besides, isn't he actually claiming to be a second Mohammed? Yeah, that will go over real well in the heart of Islam ;). Excellent work BT, as per usual. Can't wait to see Andronikos in the next episode!

Cheers,
~Hawk

Interesting to see this new prophet.

His claim to the the bringer of enlightenment sounds interesting. Does he have a new approach to interpreting the Quran (and the bible) or does he just want to "set things right again"?

Also I wonder why Father Demetrios got so agitated when Adhid prattled about how Jesus (Isa) was just a man, not the son of god. That is basically Islamic canon, on that point there is no disagreement between Adhid and the notables. And Demetrios should know that, should he not? Is it so uncommon for Muslims to mention core parts of their faith in the presence of Christian officials? :confused:

As far as Father Demetrios is concerned. All Muslims would languish in his dungeons.

I though the Mahdi was a a Shiite (and Sufi) concept. Wonder how the Sunni's will take this.

No, it is widely accepted in sunni eschatology as well.

Edited: I forget to mention that the notables are Ishmaelis - theyre as shiite as they can get. Perhaps more so.

Last edited:
Also I wonder why Father Demetrios got so agitated when Adhid prattled about how Jesus (Isa) was just a man, not the son of god. That is basically Islamic canon, on that point there is no disagreement between Adhid and the notables. And Demetrios should know that, should he not? Is it so uncommon for Muslims to mention core parts of their faith in the presence of Christian officials? :confused:

Just because Demetrios may know they think that, doesn't mean he likes being reminded of it ;)

Interesting. Your prophet comes from a noble family and has the pride of such a man. That is perhaps unique in the realm of prophets, as even the early jewish prophets (Isaiah, Ezekiel, Elisha, etc.) Were only from the priestly class, not the actual nobility. Jesus was of course born to poor parents, the son of a carpenter. And Mohammad was not an aristocrat either, nor was Abraham, and Moses was raised by Pharoah's daughter, but certainly not treated as royalty. But your prophet is a bona fide scion of a noble family. Takes away a bit of his appeal to the masses, but it also would probably make him a bit less offensive to the rulers of wherever he is, (Like we saw with Michael, giving him slack because he knew his father. Jesus wasn't going to get slack from Pilate because his dad did some roofing for him.)

Last edited:
Kirsch27 - Is it pride from being born noble, or more certainty of purpose? Most would know Adhid as the adopted son of al-Shaib, who lead anything but a privileged existence. Either way, al-Hinnawi is about to find himself in a new place where no one knows him from Adam, with little to no money to his unknown name...

Avalanchemike - Exactly. That and most Muslims probably had more tact when referring to that point of... disagreement, shall we say... at least to their Roman overlords, than Adhid displayed...

Calipah - More Shiite than Shiite?

Cecasander - I'm pretty sure its in some form across most of mainstream Islam. The interpretation of the Mahdi varies, I think... :confused:

4th Dimension - Yup, his "compassion" knows no bounds. If spending years in a jail cell saves your soul, so be it! Such is the Demetrian way...

Vesimir - At least when its rubbed in his face, Father Demetrios won't like it... As for Adhid, he's merely just confident. After all, in his mind God has spoken to him and told him these things. He's going to be a little cocky after recieving a message he thinks comes from that source. :D

Leviathan07 - At its core, Aionism is arises from and addresses the issue of "What now?" that comes after the fall of Mecca. Clearly, the end times have not come--Jesus did not return from heaven, for example. So what next? The Aionites believe that Adhid is the promised Mahdi, and that his teachings will lead to a timeless age... in short, the Aionites think they are to Islam what Christianity views itself to be to Judaism. For details, you'll just have to see the story unfold. Not to mention how mainstream Islam will react in whole to this new development.:)

asd21593 - A little more complex than that. He claims he's a prophet in the Muslim tradition, which means he's alongside Jesus. He does not claim to be the son of God or anything of the sort, however...

Morrell8[/b - It would have made sense to have a priest present, especially if most of the other staff were on their way to Konstantinopolis. The clergy are trained in canon law, which poor Michael was thinking might have possibly blindly-stab-in-the-dark-might-have-been-helpful?

von Sachsen - There was sugary candies for everyone?

Basilieus44 - Welcome to the thread, and thank you for the kind words :) I'm hoping to hit EU3 in a year, maybe year and a half, depending on the pace of updating. Needless to say, it should be very interesting once we reach 1399...

Tommy4ever - Don't worry, next update starts a whole new round of intrigues and plottings! And there'll be more Nestorians down the line too!

Enewald - Depends on how much traction Adhid gains in Arabia for his new faith...

FlyingDutchie - YOU WIN THE 4000th POST PRIZE! An e-cookie. :) Enjoy!

I've got a couple things ready for you guys today. No update itself per say, but there's a short interim of sorts on how the world is shaping up, as well as some teasers of people and events down the line. First of all, we have a new banner for a new Emperor, with a new rank (Megas Komnenos)!

nikephorosivbanner22copy.jpg

Pretty isn't it? Second, a graphic showing the Roman world, with an update on how things are shaping up when our story next takes place:

RomanWorld1252-2copy.jpg

And finally, some upcoming characters for you all. Two have been mentioned already, one has not. All three will be linked, however...

charactersone.jpg

charactertwo.jpg

Happy guessing!

Oooooh, hello BEAUTY.:cool:

Pirates of Persia? :D

Beautiful banner, BTW!!!

Oh and didn't Georgios I of Arabia have his seat a bit further north? Seems like Georgios II wants to put some distance between himself and the Empire's reach... maybe a royal conversion is coming? Muhammad Georgios I., Sultan of Arabia... :D

Also five years of peace, wow!! Did that really happen in the game or did you make this up? :) I remember when I ran an empire half as large as yours in the game, I would barely get four months of peace before some stupid vassal would drag me into an unwanted war.

Oooooh, hello BEAUTY.:cool:

Indeeeed.... Cleopatra reborn, ready to take control of the new emperor?

As for the guys, I guess the one that looks like a musketeer is Alexandros of Mesopotamia. And the Pirate is the ruler of the Seljuk Turks. The eyepatch is correct. The colour of skin is correct. And his new clothes mean that the turks are slowly improving their situation.

I would barely get four months of peace before some stupid vassal would drag me into an unwanted war.

Haven't you noticed? There's no one to wage war on. :D