• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Uhh discussion time, I love it:D

@Leviathan's 1st post
I gotta say I think that considering that the turks didn't really have a chance to make any inroads into anatolia in this timeline, and that there hasn't been any cilician-armenian state this time around, I have no problem accepting that a majority of the population would be speaking greek by now, and certainly by the time EU3 comes around and the entire area have enjoyed a long time of common history and cultural evolution. If nothing else greek would certainly have become a "lingua franca" of the time.

@Leviathan's 2nd post
The reason the east was so divided as to how to worship wasn't because of any bias against hellenistic thinking (Alexandria was home to the largest school of platonic thinking outside of the Academy) but more because different versions of christianity happened to evolve simultaneously several different places.
As far as the Orthodox church being okay with other people setting up their own hierarchies, that isnt really true. The Syriac and Coptic churces, evolved at the same time as the mainstream "Constantinople church" did, and the russian and slavic churches were either simply too far away or else sitiuated in the lands of the empires enemies (remember that the church in the empire was little more that another part of the bureaucracy), and in any event the "Constantinople church" certainly did its level best to impose its version of the true faith upon the other branches of christianity. Thats part of the reason why the islamic conquest was so easy; the monophysist copts were tired of persecution from Constantinople, and it didnt hurt that Islam is so fiercly monophysist itself.
And I think lumping Gaul into the same catagory as Germania is just wrong. Gaul was a highly urbanised and romanised (the spoken language was vulgar latin) society by the time christianity began to spread there.
Also, the pre-islamic egyptians wern't semetic: they were copts, and coptic isn't a semetic language. And Iconoclasm dosn't pop up untill a century after Syria and Egypt is lost.

Ps. I agree with everything in the 3rd post... strangely enough.

Looking at the map of Spain come 1400, it is clear that Spain does end up dividing. Now looking at the demographics of the sub-continent by the 1240s, I can see why. The way I see it, the Northern Castilians and the Southern Moors are bound to come to blows again ala similar to our time line. Unlike in our time line though, the Moors completely crushed the Catholics this time around. Maybe Basil ended up opening a can of worms for the future?

Either way, it wouldn't surprise me if Catholocism ended up being a dominant factor in the region, leading the Catholic Castilians to end up shaking off the Western Empire's grasp and going on another "re-conquista".

Just my thoughts on that region. It seems a hot bed of trouble waiting to happen should the Western Emperors lose its grip....

Also BT, which Master of Orion have you been playing? The first or the second? I doubt you'd be crazy enough to play the third....

And I think lumping Gaul into the same catagory as Germania is just wrong. Gaul was a highly urbanised and romanised (the spoken language was vulgar latin) society by the time christianity began to spread there.
Also, the pre-islamic egyptians wern't semetic: they were copts, and coptic isn't a semetic language. And Iconoclasm dosn't pop up untill a century after Syria and Egypt is lost.
But IMO it's safe to assume that if the empire had not been lost to Islam, there would again have been a huge east vs west conflict within the empire... iconoclasm being the topic of the same old conflict reenactment.

BTW I didn't mean Gaul was culturally on the same level as Gaul - just that neither one had a chance of developing a church hierarchy in any other language that Latin - Gaul because it was already a Latin speaking land with a church hierarchy in place, and Germania because it was a miserable undeveloped place where the locals had no written culture of their own. Thus giving way to Latin homogeneity where in the east they had their polyglot mix of church languages.

Keep the Master of Orion talk limited people! Use the OT or PM or Groups to discuss that further and keep this thread for Rome AARisen discussion.

and Germania because it was a miserable undeveloped place where the locals had no written culture of their own.

Not entirely true, but nonetheless, they weren't going to be translating the bible into the hundreds of german dialects anytime soon. Much easier to use the Latin language which was already being used by the more wealthy germans for trade and diplomacy, considering they were nearly surrounded by former roman provinces.

Your medieval Romans are waging culture like it's 44 BC....and they really must be waging culture considering that OTL most of modern Greece wasn't Greek-speaking until the 19th century, let alone Anatolia or the Western Balkans or the Caucasus. There just isn't that many Greeks. Unless they're waging Population Exchanges like it's 1921.

I'm naturally a splitter rather than a lumper to speak in taxonomic terms so I don't really know what to think of that. I just spent two days modding the Horn of Africa for 1393 and I might have more cultures there than you have on your entire map. :D

But as always - I do love your maps. They stay informative and yet the presentation keeps improving. And I always shake my head at how you manage an update every week.

@Siind -

Also, the pre-islamic egyptians wern't semetic: they were copts, and coptic isn't a semetic language.

In a non-academic, broad sense, Coptic could probably be called a Semitic language. It's just not very close to the Arabic language that replaced it. Afro-Asiatic (replacing "Semitic" that you may find in older publications) languages occur as far south as Harare, it's a very large language family, so you may hear those used interchangeably depending on who is speaking.

Last edited:
@Siind -

In a non-academic, broad sense, Coptic could probably be called a Semitic language. It's just not very close to the Arabic language that replaced it. Afro-Asiatic (replacing "Semitic" that you may find in older publications) languages occur as far south as Harare, it's a very large language family, so you may hear those used interchangeably depending on who is speaking.
I dont think you can call coptic a semitic language, just because both coptic and semitic falls into the afroasiatic family. That'd be like comparing my own native danish to iranian, sure they are both indoeuropean languages but that dosn't make them very similar at all. Okay considering how close they were geographicly speaking Im sure they were closer than danish and iranian, but still. Coptic was (is still I suppose) the last evolution of ancient egyptian, while semitic properly comes from somewhere around Yemen.

Also you just dont find any evidence of Isaurian or any other indigenous anatolian languages after the 7th century. By the 11th century the whole of anatolia would have been thoroughly greek speaking, except for the extreme east and cilicia ofcause. And since Manzikert never happened this time around, there's no reason why greek couldnt have prospered and spread.

And since Manzikert never happened this time around, there's no reason why greek couldnt have prospered and spread.

To wit, it wasn't really spreading even before Manzikert, but then BT wasn't in charge of the Empire, so that's understandable.

Interesting point about Anatolia. It may well be more Greek than Greece proper.

Update on the update: It's about 60% done now... just as soon as I get into a writing groove finally, I have to go to work! :( Hoepfully it'll be done and posted by tomorrow though! I changed one scene around, and that made all the difference in terms of writing--sadly, though, next update we won't get to see Tommy 3... soon though! I promise! :)

All I'm going to sya on the culture war front is that the pic I posted was from CK, and needless to say, I'm going to be tweaking it some when this gets to EU3. In many of the areas outside of Greece and Anatolia, instead of "Greek" culture, look for some new hybrids/combinations... more of a Roman "footprint" that locals incorporate into their preexisting culture. So instead of "Heraklios" or "Alexandros" in leader names, lots of "Iraklo" or "Iskander" floating about. (I will definitely need help doing name translating, etc.) Right now I'm looking at probably Romano-Levantine, Egyptian and Berber/Tuareg combos, a Franco-Berber combo (for Crusader North Africa), Andalusian, and an Andalusian-Berber combo (for Mauretania), not to mention a Romano-Mesopotamian thingie (Baghdad mostly), and a Romano-Persian thingie (which will be dwarfed by the still Persian provinces)...

That sounds like a pretty good hybrid list considering the situation. I have always wanted to do a melting-pot event for the Levant, but I can never figure out myself how to combine Arabic and French names lol. Anyway, I'm sure you will do it much better than me, BT and I can't wait for the update!

~Hawk

But IMO it's safe to assume that if the empire had not been lost to Islam, there would again have been a huge east vs west conflict within the empire... iconoclasm being the topic of the same old conflict reenactment.

I do wonder what the religion scene is like. Catholicism must have been on the back foot for a good long time now... I think the West needs another Ambrose. :D

I do wonder what the religion scene is like. Catholicism must have been on the back foot for a good long time now... I think the West needs another Ambrose. :D

France, Britain, Germany, Poland and most of Italy are still Catholic (right?) and particularly the Germans and Scandinavians would right now be happily crusading their way through the pagan Slavic lands right now, spreading the faith by fire and sword. So they should be fine. Even if the Pope is not going to return to Rome any time soon.

The central organs of the Catholic church will be much weaker than in OTL, though... the medieval church was a very decentralized organization so right now they aren't that much worse off compared to OTL 13th century. But it remains to be seen if in the Catholic church will ever come to wield the sort of influence in power politics it did in OTL 15th and 16th century... unless they turn Hamburg or Hartford into a second Vatican city, and re-centralize the church, I don't see them organizing something like the Jesuit Order or build anything comparable to St. Peter's cathedral.

Not to mention that if the Pope is unable to really settle down in one place and protect himself with temporal power, he is not going to get a chance to set up something like the Papal Archives, or organize as vast a bureaucracy as the OTL Catholic church. The institution of the papacy may end up being no more than a powerless chairman of a decentralized church, like the Orthodox patriarch in OTL post-1453.