• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I thought this saying originated in the Crusades. The Crusaders were annoyed by the "duplicity" they saw in Byzantine emperors they were supposed to be helping against the heathens.

What's the origin of it in this timeline? :)

Odysseus? :rofl:
Never look into the mouth of a gift-horse? Or whatever it is. :D

AP, are you continuing your other AARs?

As for Isfahan, Gabai sounds good, resembling the name of its ruler.

I thought this saying originated in the Crusades. The Crusaders were annoyed by the "duplicity" they saw in Byzantine emperors they were supposed to be helping against the heathens.

What's the origin of it in this timeline? :)

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes - Citation from Virgil. It translates to I fear the Danaans (Greeks) even if they bring gifts. So it's dates back to the ancient era.

How do I know this? Asterix comics to the rescue!

Ok, so maybe Carpettowne was not such a good idea. How about this then:

The City of Angels, the Great City, the Residence of St. Thomas, the Impregnable City of God, the Grand Capital of the World endowed with Nine Precious Gems (or Carpets? :p), the City of Happiness, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the Heavenly Paradise where reigns God's annointed servant, a City given by God and rebuilt by Gabriel

This is the official name of Bangkok (Krung Thep Mahanakorn etc. etc.) adapted for the purpose of this AAR. Could anyone care to translate this into Greek? :D

Reminds me of the Simpsons Halloween episode in which Homer was taking care of some haunted mansion and went mad because he didn't have cable TV and beer ;) At least Antemios still has something to drink :D

It was actually a hotel and it's the best parody of Stanley Kubrick's cinema adaptation of Stephen King's "The Shining" I've ever seen. By the way, I wholeheartedly recommend the movie, it's a horror classic and Jack Nicholson is at his best (or worst? :p)

Last edited:
AFAIK the saying is much older, it's from the Iliad (or paraphrased from the Iliad). Referring to the Trojan Horse left behind (seemingly as a gift to the gods) by the Greeks. The Trojan high priestess Cassandra says they should not bring the horse into the city, because she does not trust the Greeks even when they bring/leave gifts.

Oh - now when you said it I know I knew that... once :eek:o

It was actually a hotel and it's the best parody of Stanley Kubrick's cinema adaptation of Stephen King's "The Shining" I've ever seen. By the way, I wholeheartedly recommend the movie, it's a horror classic and Jack Nicholson is at his best (or worst? :p)

I've seen it and I agree that the parody was excellent.

BTW, there was even an allusion to it in this AAR, if I recall it correctly ;)

That was :D :D

--

The Isle of Barrra, really. A fate worse than Macdeth!

--

I like Isfahan. What's with all the renaming? How about building a royal capital right next door a-la Fustat? Call that one Gabaikastron. Maybe they'll amalgamate into something else entirely in a couple of centuries.

RGB - That might be a potential middle ground--an imperial complex outside of the preexisting city. Still open for ideas though! :)

asd21593 - Stavros Braveheart? It'd be even funnier if it was Stavros Blomfeld :D

Winner - An allusion to the Shining? When? *confused* My story is too big... :rofl:

Laur - I didn't say Carpettown was a bad idea, I just said it's falling in line with alot of other names, like Neapolis. :p As for the very long name... I could definitely see that, for the capital or for the fortress-complex next to it. Maybe the official name gets changed to the long, imperial title, but people continue to refer to the city as "Isfahan" as a shorthand?

Leviathan07 - Here's the problem. I like all those names. So which one gets the love, and which ones are left in the cold? Dilemnas, dilemnas...

Vesimir - I <3 Asterix comics!

Enewald -Gabai is a definitely possibility. I'm not making any decisions yet, another thing I might do is take the names people offer that don't make the cut, and use them elsewhere. There's alot of building coming down the line, now that Thomas III has cash. :)

4th Dimension - That would be like breaking the 18th wall...

Nekhara - I would be honored if AP decided to keep us informed of their exploits! :)

The_Archduke - Sometime I'd like to compile my previous 'guesses' as to the post-CK world together just to compare them. :)

Hannibal X - I'm pretty sure if it was Anthony or Andrew, the Scots would have still butchered the Greek. :)

AlexanderPrimus - Thank you for the hilarity. :)

armoristan - Thomas III (or T3 if you want my shorthand) is a weirdy? Really? Nah... :D

Well, ladies and gentlemen, we've truly got an embarassment of riches on our hands. Calipah has finished compiling the replies of Dr. al-Jedawi to questions everyone had regarding the paper delivered by the good doctor on the history of the Hejaz:

==========*==========​

1) Doctor, getting away from the Hedjaz for a moment, can you summarize Roman history for us, specifically in the period of about 1300 to the present?

Sir, to ask such a question, in this time and age, is rather alarming, if not disheartening. You strike me as a well-educated and well-rounded person, and I am confident you had been exposed to Modern Roman history somewhere in the course of your studies, no? If not – and I then must posit the blame on your educators - I highly recommend Rustum Jalalallah’s ‘Exhausted Historia: The Roman Empire from the Principate to the Republic (42 BC – 1829 AD)’ as a starting point for your scholarly voyage. Good luck, you’ll need bucket loads of it. However, I must say that this is still very outrageous in every way, and I must raise my voice in protest. The culpability of not only our schools, but that of the media, is eminent to everyone here I hope – we are, in our modern day trash-culture discouraged to read and inquire - we have become lazy and on the constant prowl for base entertainment, giving little thought to fact and actual events! Take the ‘Rome Arisen’ series by the BBC – utter rubbish! If history were such a splatter of oozing sex and action, the Empire wouldn’t have been built in the first place. Please, I beg you, turn off your TV and READ!!
*Audience claps*

2) I'd like to know a little about the religious composition of Arabia throughout the centuries, percentages and such.

I’m afraid it is a relatively tricky question to answer. Percentages and statistics after all, are a trapping of the modern state and its bureaucracy, and we can only guess as to what the religious composition of any given society was before the availability of polls and scientific censuses. I fathom that much of the Middle East – and Im assuming by Arabia you generally mean the areas encompassing the Arab world and not the peninsula alone – remained for the most part post-Muslim in their religious makeup. Whilst there was a limited Orthodox infiltration (which encountered mind you, not only Muslim, but also native Christian resistance) - and especially in the northern fringes nearer to the Anatolian core – attributable more to a Greek influx than anything else – most Muslims had more or less fallen under three broad religious traditions stemming from an Islamic ethos – the Aeonite reformation, the institutionalized Muhajirun, and the Guides of the Guide movement emanating from Persia. Questionably, there are many elements one must take into account: syncretism, identity politics of Self and Other (the Jewish faith is a good example here) and of course, the mere fact that before the Modern era, centralized authority was limited in the scope of its impact over the lives of the vast majority of people. Given that, ‘Muslims’ adapted to the advance of Christendom instead of joining it wholesale. And yet….then again, you did have the missionizing influence of the Madaba Metropole, as well as cyclical conversion campaigns centered from Jerusalem and Alexandria before the breakdown of the Komenid Empire. Actually, I really do not know how to address this question. It needs further research I dare say.

3) Doctor, How do you order the Roman Empires? I heard you mention the fifth empire, which has always made me wonder. Wasnt the Roman Empire a single entity throughout its history? and if the Komnenoi empire is the fifth, what was the fourth and third?

Most academics and scholars agree that there are, broadly speaking, five major ‘episodes’ that define this ramshackle entity we know as the ‘Roman Empire.’ First is the Principate period of the Julio-Claudians, followed by the Flavian-Severian, and then the Dominate, which ends with the reign of Emperor Heraklios at the onset of the Arab invasions. The fourth is more or less the epoch of the ‘Byzantine-hellenic’ Empire, which was succeeded by the revitalized Komenid ‘Grand Imperium’ marked by the ascension of Demetrios Megas. Arguably, some scholars add the ‘Industrial Emporia’ as the sixth Empire since it saw the rise of the Industrial council as the prime mover– a definite break with past continuities of political modus operandi. Others expand it to include the ‘Republican Restoration’ of the 19th century – but again, there is wide consensus over the ‘five’ eras but not so much beyond that.

Now as to whether the Empire was a single entity throughout its history – as a civilizational idea, much in the same sense of China, it was -but as a politically defined parameter, I can adamantly say no – state sovereignty did not overlap with geographically defined sovereignty except perhaps in Anatolia and the Balkans – after moving of course, from the Imperial core in Italy. The Empire has, one must recognize, been constantly reconstituted and dismantled with each succeeding dynasty. Nothing, in both form and function, lasts forever in the march of human history – except the Chinese and their Empire, but they’re exceptional devils as we all know. For the rest of us, we’re iconoclasts by nature, even in the name of preservation. We like to destroy and recreate – its in our makeup. I hope that answers your questions.

4) Can you explain more how the Christian Hedjaz contributed to the rise of the Aeonites?

A ‘Christian’ Hedjaz is perhaps a wrong moniker on my part. As you know, the Hedjaz of all the provinces in the Empire remained resolutely traditional in its Islamic orientation and even rejected the Taymiyyite ‘Muhajirun’ discourse coming from the Madhab of Damascus. Well, the area remained such a bastion of conservatism until the Aeonite reformation – the Medina school is well renowned for its Protestant Ulema – but that is attributable to other variables beyond the scope of my discussion. But back to the question at hand - The fall of the Hedjaz broke the back of established Islamic institutions and symbols as I already covered. This created a vacuum that could not be filled by Imperial Christianity, but instead, with a ‘revitalized’ Islam that distanced itself from the failures of the reifed faith, but retained its ‘victorious heart’ as it were. Aeonism’s growth is mainly a result of the interplay between people seeking to keep on to the old religion of the past, but redefining it to suite the framework of their present reality. It is an epistemological process one could say, a play on perceptions, and it has, for all intents and purposes, worked.

5)I'm more interested in this "Greco-Slavic racial superiority on a fallout ridden wasteland."

What is there to say? The Great War against the forces of totalitarianism was fought and won. Simple as that. Mind you, I am a man who enjoins peace, but I sorely regret that we didn’t eradicate that northern menace off the face of the earth. At times I am tempted to say we should not have restrained ourselves to 'tactical' nuking – pfah. But in all seriousness, this is a free country! To think of the many innocents extinguished on the pyre of that evil Empire - I shudder in disgust at our failure...yes I call it a failure, for having let that blight get away without punishment was and remains a great offense to humanity. Aeon's mercy on all, but for some, and especially those bastards, none should be given!

6) I would like to ask you a question on Thomas I's invasion in 1190. We know how history has played out with the success of his son over the area. However, what if Thomas I was successful a mere 50 years before his son? What if Thomas I's armies had crushed the Seljuks at Kirkuk and the Romans had continued its drive deep into the heart of Persia? Could Mecca have been taken? Also, how would the Romans under Thomas I have coped with such vast conquests? Would it have been as peaceful or could it have led to Roman atrocities and the very real possibility of a civil war between Christianity and Islam? We could also speculate that perhaps it is not Thomas II but actually Sulieman Arslan back in 1190 that actually shaped the modern world as it is? After all, had he not been victorious, it could have held immense implications for the world as a result?

Hypothetical scenarios are not in my area of expertise I’m afraid, but I’ll play ball for the sake of the argument. We can, of course, only fathom what would have happened, but the Romans are good at one thing – they are pragmatic and practical for the sake of power, so I do not think, if such a thing came to pass that they would necessarily depart from their politically-ingrained standard-operational procedures (if the civil servants would allow me to rob them of that term!) *audience laughs* Yet as to the question of ability, at the height of the Seljuk Empire, I do not think the Romans would have been able to muster the necessary tactical depth to capture Mecca. In fact, the very conquest of the Hedjaz was a result of the Sheriff’s invasion of the Jordanian plains in 1238AD – the Roman Empire had never contemplated the question of invading the holy cities in the first place. I reckon they would have opted to leave that hornet’s nest alone – and rightly so, look at what happened subsequently. Again, this is playing with too many ‘what ifs,’ and I’ve already indulged myself to play in this most unconventional game too far for comfort’s sake *laughs*

7) Professor,
- Would you characterize the rise of Aeonism in the Muslim world, as a schism or as a reformation, and why?
- How did Constantinople react to the advent of Aeonism?
- What, in your opinion, caused the splintering of the Graeco-Muslim culture in the near east?
- What would you say were the main causes for the collapse of imperial power in the region?

Addressing the first question, Im prone to say that the Muslim World had lost its ‘center’ of orthodoxy with the imbalance caused by the fall of Mecca and Medina. This invariably resulted in a spin-off effect of multiple reformations that included Aeonism. A schism is perhaps also one way of looking at these reformations – it depends on how one perceives events I suppose. I’m a historian, I don’t make such judgments. As to Constantinople’s response, it is too much of an exhaustive and encompassing subject, and I would suggest instead you look up Prof. Manfred al-Manfaluti’s spectacular work Crucible of the Crescent which touches upon the Imperial response over the course of the 14th century, exacerbated as you might know by the Bubonic plague. As to the ‘splintering’ of culture – I do not recognize such terms in the lexicon of debating and discussing ‘culture.’ Frankly, I do not understand this question. As to the last matter, Aeonism was merely one malaise that deepened the crisis of the prolonged Imperial ‘overstretch’ – the preonia system, political discord, fragmentation, and growing stratification.

8)Two questions to the professor

First, the Byzantine Emperors called themselves the Vice Regents of God. The Empire was hailed as a Christian Empire. Didn't the tolerance towards the conquered Hedjaz hurt the emperors standing with the church and the ordinary citizens of the Empire? I doubt the average Anatolian farmer would understand why tolerance was needed towards the Holy Muslim Cities.

Secondly about the Aeonites, where do they stand within Islam. Would one characterise them as a new schism, like with the Sunni and Shi'a, a new School of Law within the Sunni Islam, or an almost separate religion like the Ahmadiyya?

The average Anatolian farmer would have most likely never left the valley he was born in, let alone care much for what was happening outside the proximities of his ‘SMA’ – Standard Market Area. Questionably, this assumption that simply because Anatolia was the bastion of Orthodoxy in the Empire does not necessarily translate into total popular adherence to ‘intolerance.’ Many people dealt with Muslim Turks on a daily basis, and a vast majority of the peasantry were rather ambivalent. The urban landscape is radically different of course as ideological institutionalization permits a high degree of ecclesiastical control – a sort of hermeneutical ‘give and take’ interaction with the public. But I digress: Whilst the Emperor was the Vice Regent of God, he was in the end, a secular Ruler, and burning Mecca to the ground would have brought the Empire on its head – the fact that a good bulk of the population was still very much Muslim in its orientation comes into play here. The Patriarch can only do so much in the face of political reality. As to the second question, it really depends on whom you ask, but the general consensus is that Aeonism represents ‘Islam’ and ‘post-Islam.’ It is within, and beyond. Well, that’s what the typical ‘Imam Hadi’ would say I guess, but Im not sure a Muhajiri would agree.

9)Professor,

For the benefits of my students back home, what are the basic ideas and philosophies behind Aionism and what is your interpretation of how the previous centuries shaped and created them?

Dear sir, I cant believe Im saying this but check Wikipedia, or google it for the Holy’s sake. There’s a Grand Ma’bad of Sayyida Fatima just on the other side of the Road. I’m a historian, not a missionary!

10)Professor,

In your opinion, would you consider the Aionite Movement as a successor to Orthodox Christianity or to the Sunni Islam of the Region? Could the Aionites have gained momentum had Thomas II not invaded the Hedjazi Realm?

11) Professor, as I understand from your discourse, because of the taking of the holy cities, the unity of Islam, as a religious movement, was broken. And because of this, several distinct islamic rites and traditions have developed, based on the local interpretation of Islamic orthodoxy, These traditions were, after political reunion, unable to going back to one Islam. Is this in any way comparable with the way distinct christian traditions were and are unable to unite, maybe because they all profess to be the one true religion?
And do you see aionite as a Islamic tradition or as a branch that has split off, like christianity from judism?

I already addressed these questions I believe.

12)Professor, if an African Lion and a large octopus met on neutral ground; who would win?

Such audacity and lack of face! By the blood of the humble ancestors, wheres security?!WHERE ARE THEY?! How the hell did this creature get into Allied territory to begin with?!Have we lost our vigilence so?! Oh Lordy Lord...I...Ach Allah in Heaven Sublime! I know what you are, an Octopoi terrorist! PURPLE SUICIDE BOMBER!

[Emergency Transcript Copy – Iskanderiyya Tegmata-Shurta Police Department.]

:D

Winner - An allusion to the Shining? When? *confused* My story is too big... :rofl:

Probably an inadvertent one (wiki says it's also a proverb, which I didn't know ;) ) on p. 144:

“But I need my sleep,” Gabriel heard his mind reply.

All work and no play makes Gabriel a dull boy… the voice chided.

Another great thing about Rome AARisen:
Teasers, interludes and so on are of the same brilliant quality as the story updates!

Also, obviously the octopus would win, for the eight armed one is blessed blessed blessed by the many armed dweller.

armoristan - Calipah tossed that in one of his drafts of what he was thinking, I saw it and I did the same thing. BBC Rome Arisen was genius on his part! :rofl:

asd21593 - Like any good academic, the Professor is likely well trained in avoiding answers. :D

Nehekara - Now, what if the octopus left Johannesburg by train while the lion began running south along the tracks near Nairobi. At what time would the two chemically embrace in love and understanding? :D

Enewald - Anti-small octopus discriminator! :D

AlexanderPrimus - All Calipah. All gold. :)

Vesimir - Mayhaps the good professor could answer that question directly? You're rolling the dice though... a tongue lashing might be enroute as well!

Servius Magnus - Calipah certainly deserves a standing ovation!

Winner - Aha! Yes, that was completely inadvertent, but excellent catch nonetheless!

Well, to get into the interim spirit, I decided I needed to do something I'd promised to do long ago (a year and a half or so) but I never got around to finishing--the large list of main characters for the story. What follows is what I could do off the top of my head... I'm likely missing a character here or there, but it's understandable when, by my count, there are around 130 characters listed! :)

The First Generation
firstgeneration.png

From left to right: 1) Michael Dukas, 2) Alexios Komnenos, 3)Ioannis Kantakouzenos, 4) Manuel Komnenos (of Sinope), 5) Zoe Maliasenos, 6) Anastasia Aristenos, 7) Malik Shah, 8) Isaakios Komnenos

Michael Dukas – Ruled as Emperor Michael VII from 1068 to 1090. Reign was characterized by mismanagement and the Emperor’s own sense of paranoia. Defeated by Demetrios Komnenos in 1090 and stripped of the Imperial crown. He remained as comes of Thessalonika until his death in 1095.

Alexios Komnenos – Prince of Kappadokia, Edessa and Aleppo. Father of Demetrios Komnenos and progenitor of the Imperial Komnenid line. Brilliant commander and leader, greatly expanded Komnenid lands. Wounded in battle and died of poisoning fro his brother, Manuel Komnenos.

Ioannis Kantakouzenos – Prince of Samos. Major member of the Byzantine nobility, supported then defected from Manuel Komnenos’ planned coup against Demetrios in 1091. Granted the title of Megas Doux which he held till his death.

Manuel Komnenos (of Sinope) – Prince of Sinope. Major member of the Byzantine nobility, as Megas Doux defected from Michael VII to Demetrios Komnenos, allowing the latter to take Konstantinopolis, and the throne. Later launched a coup against his nephew, was defeated and ultimately killed.

Zoe Maliasenos – Wife of Alexios Komnenos, mother of Demetrios Komnenos, served several offices within both the Kappadokian and later Imperial state. Staunch ally of her son. Betrayed the hashashin to get them to murder the sons of the Seljuk Sultan. Was murdered by hashashin paid by the coin of Hajnal Arpad in 1103.

Anastasia Aristenos – First spymaster for Demetrios Komnenos as Prince of Kappadokia. Was alert to plots, managed to discover who the real killer of Alexios Komnenos was, but was assassinated before she could tell Demetrios.

Sultan Malik Shah – Great Seljuk, Emperor of the Seljuk Empire. Was restive until his sons were murdered by hashashin. Once it was discovered that Roman coin was behind the operation, began preparing revenge, which culminated in the First Seljuk War. Died without further issue, precipitating the First Seljuk Civil War.

Isaakios Komnenos – Brother to Alexios Komnenos, Prince of Antiocheia. Isaakios weathered the political storm of Michael’s reign, and was a strong supporter of his nephew Demetrios. Later, he commanded an imperial army during the First Seljuk War.

The Second Generation
secondgeneration.png

From left to right – 1) Demetrios Komnenos “Megas”, 2) Anastasia Diasorenos, 3) Hajnal Arpad, 4) Metropolitan Manuel Komnenos, 5) Isaakios Thrakesios, 6) Kamal Qasim, 7) Sulieman al-Jabbari, 8) Evangelos Komnenos

Demetrios Komnenos “Megas” – Prince of Kappadokia from 1084 to 1090, then Emperor of the Romans from 1090 to 1135. His long reign allowed the Empire to grow expansively in all directions – winning victories in the Tripoli War (1088), the Conquest of Jerusalem (1094), The Croatian/Cyrenaican War (1100), the First Seljuk War (1103-1105), the Cuman War (1109), the Aswan War (1120) and finally the Second Seljuk War (1132-1133). Left a long brood of both legitimate and illegitimate children to squabble over his realm. Simply known to the rest of history as “the Megas.”

Anastasia Diasorenos – First wife of the Megas, a daughter of a minor frontier comes, wedding Demetrios in 1084. She had an astute and devious mind, guiding the still naïve prince throught his first treacherous years in Roman politics. Died in childbirth shortly after Demetrios captured Constantinople in 1090. Arguably she was the only true love of his life – after her death he rudely treated all future wives (and all the women he used).

Hajnal Arpad – Second wife of the Megas, daughter of King Salamon of Hungary. Loved Demetrios at first, but was spurned by him and began to plot revenge. Gave birth to the future Emperor Nikolaios, and tutored him. Plotted with the hashashin to assassinate the Emperor’s mother Zoe (which was successful), and the Emperor as well as his newly nominated Kaisar. Caught and executed after Demetrios survived the attack.

Metropolitan Manuel Komnenos – Fouled mouthed but brilliant brother of the Megas who opted for a life in the church. From 1090 until 1105 served unwillingly as Kaisar, before receiving a Metropolitanate and living in relative obscurity the rest of his life.

Isaakios ThrakesiosStrategos in the Roman army, and one of the most feared military commanders of his time. Served as a young soldier in the Megas’ army that took Constantinople in 1090, and rapidly rose through the ranks. Commanded field armies in the Cyrenaican, First Seljuk, Aswan, and Second Seljuk Wars. Served as Kaisar for four years (1105-1109). Father to Ioannis Thrakesios.

Kamal QasimMegos Domestikos from Demetrios’ coronation till the aftermath of the First Seljuk War, when he received the Principality of Jaffa, founding the Princely Qasim line of the dynatoi who today influence no less than three themes in the Empire.

Sulieman al-Jabbari – Grand Vizier to Malik Shah, discovered Zoe’s plot to assassinate the Sultan’s sons. Convinced the Sultan to go to war, after Malik’s death succeeded him as Sultan Sulieman of the Seljuks. A non-Seljuk, his lords revolted, precipitating the First Seljuk Civil War.

Evangelos Komnenos – Youngest brother of the Megas. Evangelos showed much promise, but unfortunately went insane during his first campaign during the Cyrenaican War. Eventually became a heretic, regarding himself as a prophet of Christ’s return. Was offered as a sacrifice to the Church by Nikolaios in return for the dismemberment of one of their own.

The Third Generation
thirdgenerationcopy.png

From left to right, top to bottom: Nikolaios Komnenos, Michael Komnenos, Christophoros Komnenos, Georgios Komnenos, Ignatios Komnenos, Edmund de Normandie, Siddiqa Mazin, Ioannis Thrakesios, Romanos Thrakesios, Andronikos Dukas, Berthe Capet, Patriarch Anathasios, Godfrey of Salerno.

Nikolaios Komnenos – Eldest legitimate son of the Megas (3rd overall), reigned as co-Emperor alongside his father from 1109-1135, and sole Emperor from 1135-1141. Scholar and academic, extremely intelligent. Lover of Ioannis Thrakesios, never fathered any legitimate children. Wrote the Demetriad, Nikolaid, and Lessons to the Prince. Was killed in battle against his brother Christophoros during the Brother’s War of 1141.

Michael Komnenos – Eldest son of the Megas, though illegitimate. Fought alongside his father during the First Seljuk War. Was named Kaisar in 1105, only to be assassinated on his way to consecration by the hashashin. Was only 19.

Christophoros Komnenos – Second eldest son of the Megas, though illegitimate. Was legitimized, served as Megos Domestikos from 1108 till 1141. Prince of Chaldea and Coloneia from 1133-1141. Ousted his brother Nikolaios after the Battle of Carthage, only to be assassinated by his younger brother Manuel in 1141, before he could be crowned Emperor.

Georgios Komnenos[/b] – Fourth eldest son of the Megas, also illegitimate. Drunken lout, inclined to wenching, few admirable skills as a ruler. Became comes of Syrte and Senoussi. Was murdered by persons unknown in 1139.

Ignatios Komnenos – Fifth eldest son of the Megas, a bastard by the Imperial Spymistress, Siddiqa Mazin. Was the center of a plot in 1120 to usurp the throne from the Nikolaios and install her son as co-Emperor to the Megas. Fled from politics into the church, became Metropolitan of Trebizond in 1133, later became Patriarch in 1159. Informed Emperor Manuel of Zeno’s plot to kill Sophie in 1166.

Edmund de Normandie – Third son of King Robert of England, Duke of Hampshire. Part of original Crusader invasion of Egypt, established himself as Prince of Alexandria. Aided the Megas during the First Seljuk War. Felt encroached upon by the Empire, declared himself King of Egypt in 1141. Was killed in battle by the troops of Manuel Komnenos shortly thereafter.

Siddiqa Mazin – Spymistress to the Megas from 1108 till 1122. Mother of Ignatios Komnenos, plotted to usurp the throne from Nikolaios and install her son as co-Emperor. Plot disintegrated when the Dukas brothers broke from plan. Fled to Aswan, was later captured and killed by Manuel Komnenos in 1140.

Ioannis Thrakesios – Eldest son of Isaakios Thrakesios. Was friend, later lover, of Nikolaios Komnenos. Became a strategos in his own right. After word of his affair with Nikolaios went public, led campaign in Aswan after Siddiqa Mazin, was killed in battle in 1122.

Romanos Thrakesios – Second son of Isaakios Thrakesios, became Prince of Bosnia on his father’s death. Became Megas Doux and commander of the Imperial fleet. Blackmailed by Manuel Komnenos into sending ships to help Christophoros’ revolt, allowing the former to defeat Nikolaios. After Manuel rose to the throne, was stripped of his titles.

Andronikos Dukas – First cousin of Emperor Michael Dukas, was centerpiece of Siddiqa Mazin’s plot to unseat Nikolaios Komnenos. His troops failed to march as planned, tipping the Emperors off.

Berthe Capet – Third wife of the Megas, mother of Manuel Komnenos, Demetrios Nearos, and Etiennette Komnenos. Her marriage sealed the fate of Siddiqa’s plots to have her son placed on the throne.

Patriarch Anastasios – Priest from Amorion, became Patriarch in 1117. Was a central part of Siddiqa’s plot to overthrow Nikolaios, but kept himself removed enough that he could not be prosecuted. Sided with Christophoros in War of Brothers, was assassinated by Manuel Komnenos the same night Christophoros Komnenos was killed.

Godfrey of Salerno – Duke of Salerno, brother of Bohemond, King of Sicily. Wanted his insane brother’s title for himself, sent his daughter Basiliea to seduce Emperor Manuel to accomplish this. Died when Imperial troops stormed Salerno in 1157 on their march towards Rome.

The Fourth Generation
fourthgeneration.png

From left to right, top to bottom: Manuel Komnenos, Romanos Komnenos, Demetrios Komnenos “Nearos,” Malhaz Komnenos, Zeno Komnenos, Theodoros Komnenos, Kosmas Komnenos, Ioannis Vataczes, Guiseppe Rimini, Innocent II, Basiliea de Hauteville, Hermann Arpad.

Manuel Komnenos – Seventh son of the Megas, was Prince of Aswan from 1137-1141, and Emperor from 1141-1169. Noted plotter and poisoner. Launched a sneak assault that gained most of Egypt from King Edmund in 1139. Became Kaisar under Nikolaios once Christophoros’ betrayal became apparent. Backstabbed Nikolaios by sending aid to Christophoros, then assassinated Christophoros and the Patriarch on the former’s return to Constantinople in triumph. Conquered southern Italy, consolidated Egypt. Almost came to blows with Western Empire and the Pope. Barely survived an assassination attempt in 1160, and witnessed the Third Seljuk War from his deathbed. Used war to root out enemies, led to “Red Saint Irene’s” massacre of enemies in the Hagia Eirene. Was ousted in coup in 1169, exiled to Lesbos.

Romanos Komnenos – Sixth son of the Megas, though illegitimate. Prince of Edessa from 1133 onwards. Was often forgotten by the others in his family. Slothful, hedonist, had ill reputation amongst family and other lords. Died without issue.

Demetrios Komnenos “Nearos” – Eight son of the Megas. Megos Domestikos under Emperor Manuel and until 1175 under Emperor Basil. Prince of Imeretia from 1141 onwards. Apolitical, capable on the battlefield, was a reliable general for two emperors in numerous wars.

Malhaz Komnenos – Illegitimate child of Nikolaios’ “wife” Jacinta and a palace guardsman. Was initially used by Emperor Nikolaios as proof of his heterosexuality, though Patriarch Anathasios and others uncovered evidence of the child’s true origins. After the ascension of Manuel, was given the lands formerly belonging to Romanos Thrakesios.

Zeno Komnenos – Second son of Christophoros Komnenos, was initially exiled from Konstantinopolis as a threat to Emperor Manuel. Lived up to his reputation, murdered Prince Niketas and almost murdered Prince Basil in 1158, staged an almost successful assassination attempt on the Emperor in 1160. Connived to get himself appointed co-Emperor shortly thereafter. Led the Empire disastrously through the Third Seljuk War. Deposed and murdered in the “Red Saint Irene’s” massacre in 1166.

Theodoros Komnenos – Grandson of Isaakios Komnenos, Prince of Antioch, holding the same title. Was instrumental to the Imperial victory in the Great Rebellion of 1153-1155, commanded a field army in the Third Seljuk War. Father of Sophie Komnenos, and thus father-in-law to Emperor Basil.

Kosmas Komnenos – Brother of Theodoros Komnenos. Brilliant army and navy commander, won Joshua’s Ford, Crete, and Rhodes for the imperial forces during the Great Rebellion. Suffered a disastrous defeat at Tell Bashir in the Third Seljuk War. Reinstated, commanded Imperial troops in Spain for many years.

Ioannis VataczesStrategos, and mentor to Basil Komnenos. Was widely considered one of the most formidable commanders in the Roman army, but was known for bawdy mouth and bad manners. Was initially denied command in Third Seljuk War by Zeno, but became Basil’s second in command during the Syrian campaign. Fell at the horrific Battle of Menorca.

Giuseppe Rimini – Archbishop, Papal nuncio, later Cardinal, then Pope Boniface. Built up extensive contacts within the Eastern Empire, successfully kept Emperor Manuel from conquering Rome. Befriended Basil Komnenos, later became his tutor and lifelong friend.

Pope Innocent II – Pope from 1132 until 1171. Successfully navigated difficult diplomatic straits between the Eastern and Western Empires. Bravely faced the army of Emperor Manuel with only a retinue of priests and pilgrims in 1158.

Basiliea de Hauteville – Daughter of the Duke of Salerno. Sent to Konstantinopolis to seduce Manuel, succeeds, becomes his wife. Mother of Basil and Niketas. Attempted to depose Manuel in the Great Rebellion, intending on setting Basil on the throne. Was defeated and committed suicide.

Hermann Arpad – Second Arpad Western Emperor, from 1138 until 1154. Giant of a man, brave and capable commander. Was repeatedly diplomatically outfoxed by both Emperor Manuel and Pope Innocent II.

The Fifth Generation
fifthgeneration2copy.png

From left to right, top to bottom: Basilieos Komnenos, Demetrios Komnenos “Koutsos,” Sophie Komnenos, Leo Komnenos, Rodrigo Jimenez, Alexandros Thrakesios, Enguerrand Komnenos, Clemente Kosaca, Sulieman Arslan, Drogo II Capet, Richard de Normandie, Heinrich VI Arpad, Knud V Knytling, Boleslav Premyslid, Magnus Knytling, Khorbut of Dau, Amalric Capet, Brunhilde von Oesengaarde, Saul

Basilieos Komnenos – Called “the Magnificent.” Prince of Apulia and Calabria from 1157 till 1167, then co-Emperor from 1167-1169, sole Emperor from 1169 onwards. Arguably the greatest military mind ever produced by the Romanoi – victorious in the Syrian Campaign (1164-1167), Almeria Campaign (1170-1172), Toledo Campaign (1173-1177), the Moroccan/Italian Campaigns (1179-1186), and the Cuman Campaign (1188). Brave, chivalrous, kindhearted, antithesis of most Roman rulers. Created the Spanish hyperexarchate. Died of leukemia at the age of 42 in 1189, left the Empire split amongst three of his sons.

Demetrios Komnenos “Koutsos” – Older brother of Basilieos Komnenos, Prince of Kappadokia. A hunchback with a slur, was never considered for imperial succession. Brilliant, loyal, often serves as Basil’s regent while the Emperor is away on campaign. Was Kaisar from Basil’s sole Emperorship in 1169 to 1186.

Sophie Komnenos – Daughter of Theodoros Komnenos, and wife of Basil Komnenos. Intelligent girl, inclined towards the darker arts of statecraft – often did “dirty work” necessary for Basil’s rule, even over the Emperor’s objections. Totally and wholly loyal to her husband. Was briefly a Regent in the Triple Monarchy, before she was exiled to Lesbos by her son Heraklios. Escaped to Spain, served as Regent and advisor to her grandson Alexios until her death in 1216. Crucial to the Treaty of Palermo in 1212 that formally separated the Eastern and Western Empires.

Leo Komnenos – Basil’s younger brother, Prince of Apulia, Calabria and Salerno. Dubious loyalty at best, known to have taken French coin in the past. Rather incapable administrator, led a rebellion in Italy on the death of Thomas I Komnenos at Messina. Ruled as “Emperor in Italy” until his death in 1208.

Rodrigo Jimenez – One of Basil’s best friends from childhood, son of exiled Spanish nobility, acted often as an Imperial spy. Notorious lecher. Loyal. Tapped by Basil to become hyperexarch of Spain. Dallied with Empress Sophie, thus father to the secret bastard Heraklios Komnenos. Was assassinated by agents of Thomas I Komnenos in

Alexandros Thrakesios – Childhood friend of Basil, son of disgraced Romanos Thrakesios. Became a well known commander in the Roman army. Married Basil’s sister, father of Basil’s nephew Romanos Thrakesios. Died in the horrific Battle of Menorca.
Enguerrand Komnenos – Basil’s youngest brother. Skilled diplomat, became first Exarch in Spain. Has grand ideas of his place in Roman politics, jealous that Rodrigo became hyperexarch. Has been known to take French coin, assassinated by persons unknown in 1190.

Clemente Kosaca – Prince of Kairouan, Megos Domestikos and outside of Basil, one of the most formidable military commanders in Roman history. Basil’s second in command for most of the Spanish campaigns – named Megos Domestikos. Head of the army faction at court. Daughter Sophia was married to Thomas Komnenos, but was murdered by Mehtar Lainez. Served faithfully until his death in 1204.

Sultan Sulieman Arslan – Emir of Esfahan from 1141-1152, Sultan of the Seljuk Empire from 1152 on. Brilliant commander, chivalrous, launched the most devastating Turkish attack on Romanion since the days of Alp Arslan. Managed to penetrate as far as the Marmara, camped within sight of Konstantinopolis. Made peace for a paltry sum of land, on belief that a greater enemy was coming from the east. Kept the peace until the invasion of Thomas I Komnenos in 1192. Held the Romans at bay, died in 1195.

Drogo Capet – King of France from 1155 onwards. Has aspirations for rebuilding Charlemagne’s Empire. Noted plotter, had designs on Spain, Italy and Germany. Set up enormous spy network across Europe to carry out his plans. Outwitted King Richard of England, and now has set his son Louis on the English throne. Temporarily thwarted by the Roman Emperor during the Moroccan/Italian War. Suffered a poisoning attempted by his eldest son at Roman encouraging. Sent coin to dissidents in the Empire, groomed Christina of Dau as an agent before becoming involved in a plot that saw her eldest son murdered. Led a French invasion of Spain that was rebuffed by his grandson Alexios. Was in turn assassinated by his bodyman Saul, who was a secret uncle to Christina.

Richard de Normandie – King of England from 1163 until 1176. After Basil of Romanion, arguably the greatest commander in Christendom. Eagerly joined the Papal Crusade called for Spain, cooperated well with Romanoi plans. Undercut by Drogo, abandoned Crusade to attack the French King. Killed in Battle in 1176.

Heinrich VI Arpad – King of the Germans, Emperor of the West. Styles himself a diplomat and a plotter, but not in the league of Drogo. Outmanuevered by the French King while on Crusade, was forced to return home to deal with numerous noble rebellions. Barely controlled his realm, died after being pushed down a set of stairs. Death brought an interregnum and German crown briefly passed to the von Frankens.

Knud Knytling – Irascible, ancient King of the Danes. Has a sharp tongue and sword for anyone who annoys him – especially Boleslav of Poland.

Boleslav Premyslid – Rather dimwitted King of Poland. Eternal enemy of Knud Knytling. Their rivalry prevented them from going on the Crusade.

Magnus Knytling – King of Sweden, secretly sent 200 longships to Majorca, launching the first strike of the Crusade and given Sweden a Mediterranean toehold.

Khorbut of Dau – Head of the powerful House Dau, Princes of Egypt. Father to Empress Christina and grandfather to Emperor Thomas II. Attempted to assert too much independence during Andreas Kaukadenos’ rebellion, and was assassinated on orders of his grandson.

Lord Amalric – Distant cousin of Drogo, French ambassador to Konstantinopolis and center of Drogo’s spy ring there. Attempted to use one of his agents to subvert the Romans, instead was assassinated on orders of Empress Sophie.

Brunhilde von Oesengaarde – Double agent, working for the Romans but secretly giving information to the French. Was milked by Rodrigo Jimenez for information on her spy networks, then tossed aside when her usefulness was up. Her information led to the assassination of Amalric.

Saul Bodyman and secret half-brother to Drogo Capet. Served as his personal secretary and confidante, until Drogo’s plans involved the death of a relative. Poisoned Drogo on behalf of his grand-niece, Empress Christina of Dau.

The Sixth Generation
sixthgeneration2copy.png

From left to right, top to bottom: David Komnenos, Manuel Komnenos of Tangiers, Thomas I Komnenos, Heraklios III Komnenos, Romanos Thrakesios, Mehtar Lainez, Murad Arslan, Alienor Capet, Louis Capet, Genghis Khan, Christina of Dau, Georgios Komnenos, Adhid Kosaca, Arnaud Capet, Mozes Arpad, Skjalm Hvide, Isaakios Vataczes, Manuel Komnenos of Edessa, and Serlo de Hauteville

David Komnenos – Eldest son of Basil Komnenos. Excellent strategist, smart politician, was regarded by many as the most capable of his older sons. However, had a long vengeful streak, and like his grandfather, had a inclination to poison. Led the relief force that saved the Emperor in Spain in 1184, was named Kaisar and Exarch of Mauretania. Married Alienor Capet, daughter of King Drogo, and had one son, Alexios Komnenos. Assassinated on orders of his brother Thomas.

Manuel Komnenos – Second eldest son of Basil, Prince of Tangiers. Indolent, lazy, and hedonistic, never considered a serious contender for the throne. Resents all of his brothers, but is too lazy to do much about them.

Thomas Komnenos – Third eldest son of Basil, formidable warrior, if not so formidable commander. Proud, vengeful, with a ferocious temper. Worships the ancient ideas of what it meant to be Roman, and loud advocate of retaking Rome. Named Exarch of Tarraconensis. Married Sophia Komnenos, who was then murdered. Thomas blamed David, and ordered his best friend and spymaster Mehtar Lainez to kill David. Lead an invasion of the Seljuk Empire in 1192 and nearly died in battle. Conquered northern Italy, brutally killed Pope Innocent III, and rampaged through Germany. Died at the Battle of Messina, igniting the Second Komnenid Civil War.

Heraklios Komnenos – Fourth son of Basil Komnenos. Still a boy, shows little inclination for things military, but is has a sharp mind for things scholarly and statesmanlike. After infighting between elder sons, was named in Basil’s will as senior-Emperor, with David as junior. Had an affair with his brother’s wife, Christina of Dau. Murdered by Christina and her lover Georgios Komnenos in 1202.

Romanos Thrakesios – Son of Alexandros Thrakesios, nephew of the Emperor, named Exarch of Baetica. Still a young man, easily led around by Hyperexarch Rodrigo Jimenez.

Mehtar Lainez – Son of Strategos Gregor Lainez. Secretly in love with his best friend, Thomas Komnenos. Taken at a young age into the Imperial Hand at Sophie Komnenos’ insistence, trained in art of sabotage and assassination. Became unearthly at these skills, became Sophie’s personal “assistant,” later Spymaster for Exarchate of Tarraconensis. Had a personal feud with David. Witnessed Thomas and his wife making love, became enraged and killed her, before claiming before Thomas he had evidence linking David to the assassination. Went on to become Megoskyriomachos under Thomas I, before his failure to stop the death of Thomas’ son Antemios resulted in his exile in 1200. Returned from exile in 1209, resumed duties, and tried to prepare the Empire for the arrival of the Mongols. Unsuccessful at holding the line at Yaik, stepped aside to allow protégé Albrecht von Franken to take charge. Murdered by lover Eleutherios Skleros in his dotage.

Murad Arslan – Son of Sulieman Arslan, and presumed heir to the Seljuk Empire. Was an aggressive young man during the Syrian campaign, since has had time and experience to hone his skills and tone down his arrogance. Led the Seljuk resistance to the Turks during the early 13th century.

Alienor Capet – Daughter of Drogo Capet, wife of the now dead David Komnenos. Was immediately shunned by her husband on her arrival. Gave birth to son Alexios – second in line to the French throne, as well as the Roman throne. Fiercely protective of her child. Served as Regent, held Spanish domains together until her son reached maturity.

Louis Capet – Son of Drogo Capet, King of England. Was to succeed to his father’s Empire, but has shown himself weak willed and easily persuaded – the Roman offer of a title persuaded him to attempt to kill his father. Briefly confined, became King on his father’s assassination.

Genghis KhanKhagan of the Mongol Empire. One of the greatest military minds of all time, united the quarreling Mongol tribes and singlehandedly built an empire that stretched from the Carpathian mountains to the Yellow Sea. Defeated Thomas II in the Battle of Neapolis, the greatest Roman defeat since Yarmuk.

Christina of Dau – Wife of Thomas I Komnenos, mother of Thomas II Komnenos. Schemer, took husband’s brother Heraklios Komnenos as a lover, agent of Drogo Capet that instigated war between Spain and the Central Empire, and plotted with Prince Georgios Komnenos and Leo Komnenos to betray her husband at Messina. Assumed Regency for her young son in 1202, used Leo Komnenos’ rebellion as an excuse to purge the dynatoi and the army. Was murdered by her son Thomas II in 1209.

Georgios Komnenos – Prince of Antioch. Chief plotter with Christina of Dau to murder Thomas I. Became lover of the Empress during her Regency, assumed the title of Megos Domestikos. Murdered Heraklios Komnenos to cement Christina’s hold on power. Was imprisoned and executed after the rise of Thomas II Komnenos in 1209.

Adhid Kosaca – Son of Clemente Kosaca, Prince of Kairuoan, brilliant commander in his own right. Requested position of Megos Domestikos from the Empress in 1203 but was denied. As a result, defected Kairouan to the cause of Leo Komnenos during his rebellion. On Leo’s death in 1210, Adhid launched a coup and declared himself Emperor in Italy. Defeated disastrously by Thomas II at Potenza, and died during the siege.

Arnaud Capet – Cousin of Drogo Capet, usurped throne from Louis Capet in the name of restoring ‘piety and Christian virtue’ to the French monarchy. Was persuaded to sail to the aid of Andreas Kaukadenos during his rebellion, defeated and captured at Mount Hymettus. Released from captivity, promptly attempted to march against Alexios of Spain to only be defeated outside Bordeaux. Kingdom crumbling under his feet.

Mozes Arpad – King of Hungary, later Holy Roman Emperor. Prepared ground for Hungary to resist initial Mongol invasion at Mohi, catapulted to the Imperial throne and restored Arpad glory. Reigned as Emperor until his death in 1237.

Skjalm HvideKrigleder of the Sortmark Danes. Crucial to organizing Sortmark to resist Mongol incursions in 1215. One of the few successful commanders against the Mongols, decimated Orda’s tumen at Yaik. Died holding the line at Neapolis to save the right of the Allied army.

Isaakios Vataczes – Son of Ioannis Vataczes. Strategos from a young age, unsuccessful in defeating Leo Komnenos in Italy. Disgraced, tapped by Mehtar Lainez to lead the cobbled allied army against the Mongols in 1215. Died leading the charge at Yaik that held Jamuqa’s tumen at bay.

Manuel Komnenos of Edessa – Prince of Edessa, known for being a devious as well as pious. Appointed commander of one wing of the Roman advance into Persia during the Fifth Seljuk War, was killed when his army was destroyed at Tabriz in 1214.

Serlo de Hauteville – Norman knight, second husband of Alienor Capet, stepfather to Alexios I. Served as father figure in young Emperor’s life. Knight Commander of the Exarchates, organized their resistance to Emperor Thomas I. Died fighting Thomas I at Messina.

The Seventh Generation
seventhgenerationcopy.png

From left to right, top to bottom: Alexios I Komnenos of Spain, Thomas II Komnenos, Adrianos Komnenos, Theodoros Komnenos, Bardas Komnenos, Subotai, Alaeddin Naijar, Andreas Kaukadenos, Georgios Donauri, Hulagu Khan, Albrecht von Franken, Thomas Dadiani, Helene Dadiani, Demetrios Lainez, Knud VI Knytling, Sultan Faramarz Arslan, Sultan Ferdows Arslan, Michael Komnenos of Antioch, Mahmud of Byzantion, Sinan of Byzantion, and Louis Salah.

Alexios I Komnenos of Spain – Son of Exarch David Komnenos, grandson of the Megaloprepis. Heir to senior line of the Megaloprepis, Exarch of Mauretania, Exarch of Lusitania on death of great-uncle Enguerrand. Senior Emperor in Triple Monarchy. Named ‘Emperor on the Romans in the West’ on Spanish secession from the Empire. Killed Thomas I Komnenos at Messina. Defeated Drogo Capet’s invasion at Zaragoza. Forged the disparate Exarchates of Spain into a unified Empire that expanded into Crusader North Africa and gained many allies across the Pyrenees. Died in 1230.

Thomas II Komnenos Emperor of the Romans, eldest surviving son of Emperor Thomas I. Ascended to the throne at age 9 in 1202, shuffled aside during mother’s Regency. Murdered mother in a fit of rage, heard voices in his head from a young age. Military genius with a troubled mind—defeated Adhid Kosaca at Potenza, then conquered Mesopotamia from the Turks. Marshalled grand army to oppose Mongol invasion, but was wounded and defeated at Neapolis. Managed to survive, defeat the insurrection of Andreas Kaukadenos but went insane. Advisor Albrecht von Franken ran empire while Emperor went into seclusion until 1229, when campaign against North Africa commenced. Persuaded by son to commence Sixth Seljuk War, then retaliate against Hejazi incursions. Severely wounded when pushed off the walls of Mecca, died overlooking the city in 1238.

Adrianos Komnenos – Prince of Edessa, grandson of Manuel Komnenos of Edessa. One of the most powerful lords in the Empire. Helped push Thomas II into Sixth Seljuk War, managed to get son Alexios named Rigas ton Mesopotamion. Partisan for Albrecht von Franken in the power struggle after the death of Thomas II, support key to gaining loyalty of Anatolia. Dallied in Italy instead of suppressing Michael Komnenos to make an unknown deal with Nikephoros IV.

Theodoros Komnenos – Prince of Egypt, second part of the triumvirate that formed during seclusion of Thomas II Komnenos. Crude, crass, but brilliant military commander. Often outmaneuvered by Adrianos Komnenos.

Bardas Komnenos – Prince of Apulia and Calabria. Came to prominence during Andreas Kaukadenos’ rebellion, was crucial to regaining Italy for the Imperial cause. Rewarded with title Despotes of Italy, began maneuvering to gain political power. Devoutly Christian, believed Gabriel Komnenos was far too friendly with ‘heathens’ and began machinations to ensure a puppet Antemios Komnenos was placed on the throne on death of Thomas II. Hired Eleutherios Skleros to kill Thomas II at Mecca, declared Kaisar when Antemios was declared Emperor. Defeated Gabriel Komnenos at Antalya, but was assassinated by Eleutherios on order of Albrecht von Franken in 1239.

SubotaiNoyan in the Mongol Empire, perhaps only commander more fearsome than Genghis Khan. Critical to Mongol success at Yaik, promoted to wing commander and crucial to crushing Mongol victory at Neapolis. Became senior commander, currently an advisor to Hulagu Khan.

Alaeddin Naijar – Son of a minor functionary and a brothel whore, served in military and civil ranks. Promoted from obscurity to Exarch of Mesopotamia in 1216. Used the chaos of Andreas Kaukadenos’ rebellion to declare himself King of Mesopotamia. Adopted mantle of ‘Defender of Islam,’ gained the support of many faithful, but was betrayed by Sultan Ferdows. Killed by Turks in battle, lands annexed to Turkish Empire. Has become an underground martyr for Islam.

Andreas Kaukadenos – Childhood friend of Thomas II, Prince of Mosul, used his friendship with the Emperor for personal gain repeatedly. Encouraged Thomas to begin Fifth Seljuk War, but became enraged when Thomas promoted Alaeddin Naijar to Exarchate of Mesopotamia. Defected from Roman army at Battle of Neapolis, declared himself Emperor in Konstantinopolis. Forces were defeated at Mount Hymettus in 1220, torn apart by mobs in Konstantinopolis.

Georgios Donauri – Childhood friend of Thomas II. Prince of Outrejourdain. Initially shallow and greedy, grew into one of the most formidable commanders in the Roman army and utterly loyal friend of the Emperor. Saved life of Thomas II at Neapolis, served on in civil wars and into Persia. Took Medina by ruse in 1237, named by Gabriel Komnenos on fall of Mecca as ‘Lord of Arabia.’ Named ‘King of Arabia’ in 1240 on reorganization of Empire.

Hulagu Khan – Son of Genghis Khan, named Khan of his own ulus on death of his father in 1227. Went on to invade Persia in 1236, defeated by Gabriel Komnenos at Rayy. Conquered Sultanate of Delhi in 1239, began making plans for massive invasion of Persia.

Albrecht von Franken – Son of Werner von Franken, last von Franken Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. Fled to Konstantinopolis on death of father, became childhood friend of Thomas II and loyal companion to the Emperor. Protégé of Mehtar Lainez, assumed duties of Megoskyriomachos on eve of Neapolis campaign. Organized imperial resistance in 1216 in immediate aftermath of Neapolis disaster, architect of devolving authority and creating titles to curry support of nobility to win civil war. Virtual Regent during the seclusion of Thomas II between 1220 and 1229, increased imperial coffers and maintained peace. Ardently argued against Sixth Persian War, grew to distrust nephew Gabriel. Secret father of Eleutherios Skleros. Plotted on death of Thomas II to put his youngest son Thomas on the throne as a puppet. Developed Despotate system, but politically outmaneuvered by Gabriel and Nikephoros with imperial reunification.

Thomas Dadiani – Brother of Helene Dadiani and thus brother in law to Thomas II. Hotheaded, impetuous, has a fearsome military reputation. Grew into a respected and senior commander, presently second in command in Persia as well as Prince of Hamadan. Ferocious stand on the last day at Neapolis saved much of the Roman army from destruction, making sure an utter disaster did not become the greatest catastrophe in the history of the Empire.

Helene Dadiani – Wife of Thomas II. Strange, quiet child, then later empress. While she said little, seemed to be only person capable of keeping the voices of Thomas II at bay. Has gone into seclusion since husband’s death.

Demetrios Lainez – Nephew of Mehtar Lainez, friend of Thomas II. Senior and respected military commander who had some successes in Mesopotamia, against the Mongols and in Persia. Presently Prince of Kairuoan, successor to the deposed Kosaca family.

Knud VI Knytling – Eldest son of the last King of Denmark, fled to Sortmark on Swedish invasion of homeland. Became King of the Danes in Exile, instrumental in committing Danes to resisting Mongols. Wisely knelt before Mongols after Neapolis, appointed Grand Duke. Currently planning to throw off the loose Mongol yoke.

Sultan Faramarz – Son of Murad. Brilliant field commander, managed to simultaneously hold off Mongols and Romans during 1213-1214. Surprised and destroyed a large Roman army at Tabriz. Unfortunately killed in Battle of Archaia against Thomas II Komnenos.

Sultan Ferdows – Brother of Faramarz, succeeded him to Seljuk throne. Forced by Roman victories to cede Mesopotamia to Romans in 1213, but retook most of it during chaos of Andreas Kaukadenos’ rebellion. Died in 1228.

Michael Komnenos of Antioch – Last member of ruling ‘clique’ that arose during seclusion of Thomas II. Not particularly bright, but blessed with control of Antioch and riches galore. Often led around by cousin Adrianos.

Mahmud of ByzantionMegos Domestikos under Thomas II, and continuing through the Interregnum. Commanded armies in the Fifth Seljuk, Mongol, and Sixth Seljuk campaigns. Rewarded with the Principality of Ascalon on defection of Nasr Qasim during Andreas Kaukadenos’ Rebellion.

Sinan of Byzantion – Brother of Mahmud, close friend of Thomas II. Intelligent commander, loyal, served against the Mongols and conducted a gritty fighting withdrawl alongside Thomas Dadiani to save part of the Roman army at Neapolis.

Louis SalahMegosvizieros for the Western Empire since 1218. Principal advisor and Regent for Emperors Alexios I, Nikephoros III, and Nikephoros IV. Regent during the minority of the latter, and oversaw the development of southern Spain and Mauretania, in effect culturally allying the small Roman aristocracy with the large Muslim minorities of the south at the expense of the Latin north. While this move caused discontent in the north, it has greatly enriched the coffers of the Spanish monarchy, allowing Nikephoros to make his power play into Eastern politics.

The Eighth Generation
eighthgenerationcopy.png

From left to right, top to bottom: Antemios I Komnenos, Gabriel I Komnenos, Thomas III Komnenos, Frederica von Hohenstaufen, Eleutherios Skleros, Nikephoros IV Komnenos, Altani Khatun, David Paleologus, Sultan Fahraz Arslan, Sultan Sulieman II Arslan

Antemios I Komnenos – Eldest son of Thomas II Komnenos. Constantly depressed, an alcoholic, an ineffectual, was duped by Bardas Komnenos into becoming Emperor on his father’s death. Fled a starving Konstantinopolis shortly before Bardas’ murder, then fled to Scotland where he became Lord of Barra.

*Gabriel I Komnenos – Second son of Thomas II, co-Emperor of the Romans. Brilliant general from a young age, has shown an amazing affinity to the Muslim populations of the Empire. Sexually promiscuous, a point that could prove troublesome down the line. Masterminded the quick invasion of North Africa in 1229, as well as the Sixth Seljuk War. Defeated Hulagu Khan at the Battle of Rayy, then planned Roman invasion of the Hejaz. Masterminded future Kingdom of Arabia Declared himself Emperor on father’s death, raced north to secure Konstantinopolis but was defeated by Bardas Komnenos at Antalya. Forced to raised brother Thomas to co-Emperorship and create Kingdom of Mesopotamia for support of Adrianos and thus Anatolia. Declared Despotes of Persia, guaranteed authority over Persia, Levant, and Egypt under terms of reunified Empire. Utterly distrusts Albrecht von Franken.

Thomas III Komnenos – Youngest son of Thomas II, co-Emperor of the Romans. Obsessed with architecture, devout if skewed Christian. Decidedly apolitical, wants little to do with ruling empire outside of building projects. Married Frederica von Hohenstaufen to secure alliance with Arpad Empire, but has fallen out with his wife. Reluctantly became a co-Emperor with brother Gabriel, willingly serves as puppet of Albrecht von Franken, and utterly trusts his uncle.

Frederica von Hohenstaufen – Daughter of Chancellor the Arpad Empire. Nymphomaniac. Initially went to Romanion to bed and wed Gabriel Komnenos, but finding him already taken, turned her charms to his younger brother. Grew obsessed with ‘deflowering’ Thomas III, but grew frightened of her husband when his temper and quirks showed. Mother of baby Thomas, content to sleep where she likes. Distrusts Albrecht von Franken.

Eleutherios Skleros – Secret son of Albrecht von Franken. Was a protégé and lover of Mehtar Lainez before murdering him at the behest of Bardas Komnenos. Became double agent, working for Bardas and Albrecht. Murdered Thomas II on orders of Bardas, then murdered Bardas on orders of Albrecht.

Nikephoros IV Komnenos – Grandson of Alexios I, ascended in minority on his father’s death in 1233. Amazingly capable if youthful, overexuberant and inclined to rashness. Defeated Arnaud Capet outside of Bordeaux, then used Latin invasion of North Africa as pretext to propose a unified Empire, outmaneuvering Albrecht von Franken and securing Italy. Known among the Muslims of his realm as Sefyuallah – the “Sword of God.”

Altani – Daughter of Hulagu Khan. Excellent bowshot, goddaughter of Subotai. Noted for her hatred of the Romans, lead several assaults on Samarkand and Zaranj in person.

David Paleologus – Best friend and sometimes bedmate of Gabriel Komnenos. Currently serves as Megoslogothetes of Persia.

Sultan Fahraz – Son of Sultan Ferdows. Decimated by Roman invasion during Sixth Seljuk War. Defeats broke his health and spirit, died in exile in Zaranj in 1237.

Sultan Sulieman II – Brother of Sultan Fahraz, last Seljuk Sultan. Pressed by Mongols, knelt before Gabriel Komnenos in 1240 as a vassal.

Could you make a grand family tree? :p
ah, so many memories of all these characters. :cool:

Quite sad that the Alexios Komnenos, the founder of the dynasty was not a character in the beginning.

When do you plan to port this over to EU3 ? 1453 , 1399 , or sometime in the mid 14th century btw ?

Seriously speaking though , given that players in Eu3 controlling the Byzantine Empire could conquer most of the Middle East starting from a 1399 start (and more ), I think that unless you reduce the empire to just Constantinople , it's going to be hard to control yourself from smashing the Incans and Aztecs into oblivion , raping the Sahelian states for ungodly amounts of gold , and overrunning the whole of India.

That is , unless you contact Ubik and port this over to Magna Mundi somehow :rofl::eek:

When do you plan to port this over to EU3 ? 1453 , 1399 , or sometime in the mid 14th century btw ?

Seriously speaking though , given that players in Eu3 controlling the Byzantine Empire could conquer most of the Middle East starting from a 1399 start (and more ), I think that unless you reduce the empire to just Constantinople , it's going to be hard to control yourself from smashing the Incans and Aztecs into oblivion , raping the Sahelian states for ungodly amounts of gold , and overrunning the whole of India.

That is , unless you contact Ubik and port this over to Magna Mundi somehow :rofl::eek:

The idea is that the Empire still exists, but it badly fragmented. ;)
And NO to Magna Mundi.

Yep, 1399 HTTT BYZ is far too easy. :p
All you need is a larger navy than the Ottomans.