• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Since Esfahan was and is a major producer of carpets and rugs, I believe the Greek name for this city might reflect that. Kouvertopolis anyone?

Winner – (...) After reading up on Dei Gratia, I definitely want to include some of that into the most-CK mod… it sounds like it fixes a lot of the problems I had with the EU3 religious system, as well as adds back in some of the religions I was going to have to create (Eastern Christianity for one, Coptic I’m assuming for another).

I knew you would like it :)

Looking at the files, DG includes following religions:

Christians:
- Catholic
- Protestant
- Reformed
- Gnostic
- Hussite ( :cool: )
- Orthodox (Greece, Russia, etc.)
- Oriental Orthodox (Armenia, Ethiopia + minorities elsewhere)

Muslims:
- Sunni
- Shiite
- Ibadi
- Wahhabi
(I am thinking you could rename the last to the new religion you introduced, but it would require some modding)

Other:
- Buddhist
- Confucian
- Shinto
- Taoist
- Hinduist
- Sikh
- Jain
- Zoroastrian
- Jewish (although I've never seen it as majority religion in any province)
+ various pagan religions.

I see the syncretic forms were dropped in favour of the minority system, which makes sense.

BT, I just want to say that you bring the epicness every time you write. The way Nik pulled the rug out from under Albrecht was perfect. He's only spent a little time in Connie, and he already knows how to manipulate both of his equals. If he remains as cunning as this, it won't be very long before he dominates this Triumvirate. I have been meaning to ask about the Christian Church of the East. The Nestorians were historically still very active in this time period, and it wouldn't be until the 14th Century that an aggressive Moslem effort forced the Church underground with mass conversions. The Syriac Nestorians in this new timeline would most likely be allowed to flourish, and would remain the dominant form of Christianity east of Damascus. The Nestorians already had a Patriarchate in Baghdad (it was moved from Seleucia-Ctesiphon around 800) while also establishing Metropolitans in Cities like Arran in Armenia, Jerusalem, Basra, Jundispar. Even in Herat, Merv, Samarkand, Patna in India and Beijing in China. This Eastern Church of the Apostle Thomas would definitely be a major player in Mesopotamian and Persian Politics.

As for renaming Esfahan, if it is going to be a second Imperial Capital, why not name it after the glorious dynasty what wrested it from the Turk? Komnenopolis? In history classes everywhere they would read about the Three Imperial Cities of Cordoba, Constantinople and Comnenople? Just a thought. Keep up the good work!

~Hawk

Isfahan does not sound bad, but if we have Basilopolis, why not name the grand city of the east?

This is from German wikipedia,
In der griechischen Antike hieß der Ort Γáβαι („Gabai“). In arabischer Zeit wurde daraus Ğai, wie der Prägeort auf den Münzen lautete. Im Mittelalter wurde die Stadt al-Yahūdiyya („die Judenstadt“) genannt, womit die jüdische Siedlung bezeichnet wurde. Der Ortsname Isfahan kommt von Spādān der Sassanidenzeit, das im Gebiet der Meder zu Spāhān wurde. Die Endung -ān ist ein patronymer Namenszusatz. Isfahan könnte demnach vom Namen eines Adligen oder Herrschers abgeleitet sein, dem das Land gehörte.[1]

During antic, it was called Gabai by Greeks. But since it now controlled by Gabriel, Gabrielpol could also be possible methinks.
Alas I don't know anything else. :p

Only problem with that is that Baghdad is currently the capital of the Mesopotamian client kingdom...although it does fall squarely within Gabriel's jurisdiction...but it is the heir to Adrianos Komnenos, Prince of Edessa...

The capital should definitely be in Persia. It's closer to the frontier, which is always good if you expect trouble with the barbarians.

So, I finally got my boyfriend to start reading this behemoth as well.

That's quite the achievement!

And now he has enough reading for the rest of the year.

RGB - Well, progress has stalled, we'll see if he ever makes it through...

Winner - Logic like that is probably what'd go through Gabriel's mind, especially considering he's at war...

Hawkeye1489 - Yup. It's under Gabriel's 'influence' but its technically not his... Komnenopolis might be a good name for Isfahan as well, perhaps once the Komnenids are more firmly established...

Hannibal X - See above.

Vesimir - Alexandria, on the other hand, would be doable. The problem is that moving his capital there would remove him from the main theater of war...

Enewald - Gabrielpolis sounds a little ugly. :) Gabai might be a possibility. I think down the line I'll have a voting poll for what the name should be.

Laur - The imperial capital of 'Carpet City?' :rofl: It's a possibility, Kouvertopolis has a ring to it. And the Greeks were just as uncreative in naming cities as people are today... Naples was Neapolis, which was literally 'New City.'

armoristan - There's a chance they might not rename it too. Haven't decided yet.

von Sachsen - The main difference is that Thomas makes Lepidus look like an indispensable part of the Triumvirate! :rofl:

Servius Magnus - You'll see in a bit. :)

And now on to something special. Many of you know AlexanderPrimus, who's been a long-time reader and contributor to this AAR. Some of you that haven't been around for a while might not know, however, that AP is an amazing writer in his own right. If you haven't taken a look at them, I would seriously recommend anyone waiting for an update here to run over and read through either Chronicles of the Golden Cross or Aethellan: A Tale of Kings. In fact, the musical accompaniment for an AAR was not my idea at all, it came from AP's excellent Chronicles (which has a score far better than any of my meager attempts!). Alas, computer issues temporarily stopped both his AAR projects, but from what I understand, the delay is almost over! Hooray! :)

AP was intrigued by the idea of Komnenids and Scotland, and one thing led to another, with the following as the result. Enjoy everyone!

==========*=========
A Komnenid By Any Other Name

The small ship glided swiftly through the murky, grey waters of the northern sea, and Antemios Komenos scowled. He had only been in the country a short time, but he already knew that he utterly hated Scotland. For starters, no one in the whole God-forsaken kingdom had ever heard of grappa. Instead, they drowned their sorrows in a crudely-brewed concoction they simply called “whiskey.” It tasted like goat piss mingled with seawater and felt like drinking liquid fire, yet the locals actually seemed to enjoy it.

“Almost there, cousin,” called out his companion, a fire-haired youth named John Comyn the Red.

“For the last time,” groaned Antemios, “I’m not your cousin.” None of the Scots had been able to wrap their tongues around a name like “Antemios Komnenos,” so they had scotticized it to the more palatable “Andrew Comyn.” And of course, everyone who bore the surname “Comyn” had to be a cousin of John the Red.

“Don’t be daft, man! Of course you’re my cousin,” scoffed John Comyn, “Every Comyn in Scotland is my cousin!”

“Good lord, man! Are all Scotsmen as stupid as you? My name is Komnenos! Kom-nen-os! The very idea that I could be kin to ruffians such as you is ludicrous!”

John Comyn the Red just laughed. The young man was technically supposed to be his bodyguard, but Antemios suspected that Comyn had orders to slit his throat from ear to ear if he so much as thought about disobeying their king.

King Duncan was young, handsome, had the attentions of any woman he liked, and was actually privileged enough to drink real wine on occasion, and so he naturally reminded Antemios of Gabriel. And of course that meant Antemios had hated the young King of Alba from the moment he met him, but that didn’t change how much he needed him. Scotland was literally Antemios’ place of last resort. He had travelled as an impoverished refugee throughout all the petty realms of the Germans and the Franks. Each time he was politely turned away, and each time he heard the same crass motto: “Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.”

Antemios was too impoverished and too desperate to afford gifts, but that only made the boorish Latins distrust him further. By contrast, when he had arrived in Scotland, Antemios found himself warmly welcomed by their king who had even generously granted Antemios his own parcel of land – his right as a man of noble birth.

King Duncan had smiled when presenting Antemios his fiefdom, and now that his small skiff was drawing near to his new home, Antemios could see why. It was a pathetic scrap of an island, scarcely more than a large heap of mud-covered rocks. He took another swig of the Scottish whiskey as the boat pulled into the most rundown excuse for a pier that he had ever seen.

A tall man with bushy hair and wild eyes awaited them on the heap of firewood that passed for a Scottish wharf. “Welcome,” he drawled in his thick Scots brogue, “to the Isle of Barra!”

“Who are you?” Antemios asked timidly. He suspected that more than half of Scotland’s inhabitants were insane, and this large fellow seemed to fit the bill more than most.

“James the Stewart,” the man bellowed proudly, “I am maister of all that ye’ see on this wee isle. I ran things here for our last laird, and now I run things for you!” He grabbed Antemios by the forearm and heaved him up out of the skiff, nearly dislocating the Roman prince’s arm in the process. John Comyn was left to fumble out of the waterlogged craft by himself.

jamesofstewart.jpg

“What did you say this miserable place was called again?” asked Antemios.

“Barra!” boomed James Stewart, stretching his arms wide. “This is the Isle of Barra, and that’s the village of Barra!” He pointed to a cluster of dilapidated huts. “And that,” he pointed to a stone edifice on a rocky crag, “That’s Castle Barra, yer new home!”

greaterscotland.jpg

“Dear God,” moaned Antemios, swilling yet more of the Scots’ goat urine liquor.

“I knew ye’d like it here!” roared James the Stewart, his expression ominous. Antemios was beginning to suspect that the man didn’t know how to speak without shouting.

“And ‘tis well and good that ye’ like it,” he continued, “For ye’r here to stay until the King says ye’r allowed to leave!”

“Ah, there’s the catch,” thought Antemios, “King Duncan doesn’t trust me either. He’s banished me to the most miserable place on earth!”

“Come on then,” continued the Stewart, “And I’ll show ye’ to the Castle!”

Calling the meager stone tower that stood before them a castle was like calling a pebble a gold solidus, thought Antemios. A ragged scrap of cloth hung from a pole atop the tower, and as the bitter northern wind caught it, Antemios could see that it was actually a banner depicting some kind of animal.

“Whose banner is that?” asked Antemios, “I thought this island belonged to me now.”

“That’s the banner of our last laird,” said the Stewart, his voice actually taking a reverent tone, “ ’Tis the Rampant Goat of Thane Faiggish Macdeth!”

“And what happened to him?” asked Antemios, at last aware that he might actually have a rival for his new fiefdom, pitiful though it was.

“Oh, ‘twas a dreadful tragedy,” cried James, his wild eyes now wide with lamentation, “The Laird Faiggish was always a wee scrawl of a man, as thin as a starving weasel, and as sick as one too. Anyway, it so happened that one day as he sat in the garderobe, he fell in and slid down the shaft!”

“And he died?” said Antemios, already losing interest.

“No! The garderobe shaft leads to the dungeon, which was filled with the husbands of women the Laird had ravished, and other enemies!”

“And they killed him?” interrupted Antemios.

“NO! If ye’ wish to hear the tale then ye’ must let me finish!” roared the Stewart. In fact Antemios did not want to hear the rest of the tale, but he feared to anger the big Scotsman so he just nodded.

“So the Laird had landed in his dungeon, but he found it was empty except for all the dung from the garderobe. He soon saw that the mortar around one of the sewage grates had crumbled and so the iron bars had come away. The Laird Faiggish was able to crawl outside where, covered in dung, he was found by all the prisoners who were gathered there.”

“So they did kill him?” anticipated Antemios, becoming anxious.

“NO!” roared James, “Did I not ask yer Lairdship to let me finish? The escaped prisoners bound him and dragged the Laird Faiggish to yonder beach, where a ship was waiting, filled with bloodthirsty pirates!”

“They kidnapped him?”

“NO! LET ME FINISH! The prisoners argued over whether to sell him to the pirates or to just reek his collops on the spot. While they fussed like wee bairns, a sudden sea storm broke loose, and the pirate ship sank, and the beach began to flood, and a mudslide blocked the path back to the castle! Laird Faiggish was trapped there with his captors, and the water got higher, and higher, and higher, until it reached their necks, and then…

“What?!” blurted Antemios.

“Terrible way to die!!!” James Stewart shook his head.

“Sweet Jesus,” muttered Antemios, clearly shaken.

“Och aye!” responded the big Scotsman, “Sweet Jesus does na’ live here! This is the Isle of Barra! ‘Tis a wild and lonely place, y’understand? The life is hard… and so are the men!

Antemios shuddered. His new home was the cesspit of the universe, he was as far from Konstantinopolis as he could possibly be, and he was there to stay.

antemiosupset.jpg

Last edited:
I love it, Scotland of all the places. I kinda like Antemios if only out the amusement of his situation and also the fact that he seems very average (unlike our friends Nic, Gabriel and Thomas*)

especially thomas (whispers: he is a weirdy)

:rofl:

EDIT: I very very strongly suggest DG when moving to EU3 it is an excellent mod!

Hahah!

One nitpick- Antemios would be Anthony Comyn. Andreas would be Andrew.

Actually the Greek for Anthony is Andonios (Latin: Antonius).
Antemios (Latin: Anthemius) would translate roughly to "Anthem," which is just not a common name in western countries.

But the Scots didn't take any of that into consideration when scotticizing Antemios' name. In this timeline, they're still mostly illiterate highlanders. They just picked the "A" name that was most familiar to them, which was that of their patron saint, Andrew.

But character nomenclature aside, I hope you enjoyed the update. :D

Actually the Greek for Anthony is Andonios (Latin: Antonius).
Antemios (Latin: Anthemius) would translate roughly to "Anthem," which is just not a common name in western countries.

But the Scots didn't take any of that into consideration when scotticizing Antemios' name. In this timeline, they're still mostly illiterate highlanders. They just picked the "A" name that was most familiar to them, which was that of their patron saint, Andrew.

But character nomenclature aside, I hope you enjoyed the update. :D

Oh... well, as always ad infinitum, the update was excellent. Hope this saga and Spain interludes continue!

My great re-read is still in progress. For those that are interested, there were some excellent snapshots of what the world might look like after the CK period of this AAR is over on pages 79,84 & 85.

Excellent side story AlexanderPrimus. I laughed for a long time at that dialogue. Any chance we will hear more of the Anteminoid Komnenids from time to time?

Ah, excellent comedy! (Terrible way to die! :rofl:)

Like The_Archduke I would very much like to hear more of the Komnenoi/Comyn adventures in Scotland.

When he said island, I first thought he ended up on that Crovan Island, and that madness and conquest would ensue :D

Last edited:
When he said island, I first thought he ended up on that Crovan Island, and the madness and conquest will ensue :D

The intermingling of the AARland universes would be to massive if that happened. The whole AARland would dissapear with a large POP thanks to the essence of time being fidled with.

And I think Antemios has it good. He's safe, away from everything that may kill him so he can just sit on his arse all day and gather for money for improving the island! Just the thing all of my games as counties in CK start with!

Reminds me of the Simpsons Halloween episode in which Homer was taking care of some haunted mansion and went mad because he didn't have cable TV and beer ;) At least Antemios still has something to drink :D

Each time he was politely turned away, and each time he heard the same crass motto: “Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

I thought this saying originated in the Crusades. The Crusaders were annoyed by the "duplicity" they saw in Byzantine emperors they were supposed to be helping against the heathens.

What's the origin of it in this timeline? :)

Haha... nice update. This should be the cutscene when you lose your game in CK :D

I thought this saying originated in the Crusades. The Crusaders were annoyed by the "duplicity" they saw in Byzantine emperors they were supposed to be helping against the heathens.

What's the origin of it in this timeline? :)

AFAIK the saying is much older, it's from the Iliad (or paraphrased from the Iliad). Referring to the Trojan Horse left behind (seemingly as a gift to the gods) by the Greeks. The Trojan high priestess Cassandra says they should not bring the horse into the city, because she does not trust the Greeks even when they bring/leave gifts.