• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I Agree.
Gabriel is a little too good and cunning for his own good. He is just not a nice person.
I understand that that is not a requirement for an emperor of Romanion, but most of the other emperors in this tale were, up to a point, nice to be with, or you knew what they were, and could act accordingly.
I always get the feeling with Gabriel, that it is all a facade... and that, behind it all, is something far darker than even Manuel, or both Thomases......

Clydwich - There are some things about Gabriel I've been keeping hidden. You'll just all have to wait and see what they are... I have dropped a couple hints along the way, however. ;)

Kirsch27 - Aha! Someone remembers that little aside way back when where Gabriel's own 'voices' were exposed. What remains to be seen is not only if Gabriel's madness fully expresses itself, but also how it would express itself... as for Bardas, his gambit is fundamentally different that Andreas'. Andreas actively persecuted Muslims to gain footing with the Orthodox West against the Komnenid alliance. Bardas is Komnenos, and unlike Andreas' rebellion, the Komnenids are not united at all. Gabriel might be popular with the Muslim areas of the Empire, but he's regarded warily in the Orthodox parts. Bardas is playing on that suspicion for his own ends.

AlexanderPrimus - Constant civil wars after succession is usually how most great empires fragment and eventually collapse. The Komnenids since the start of the 13th century have shown an alarming tendency towards fratricidal warfare. After the Megas' coup, the next civil war wasn't until 1141, when Nikolaios tangled with Christophoros. After that, the next was 1153-1156, when Basiliea tangled with Manuel. After that, there was a long gap until 1202-1209, when the Western Empire effectively split from the East. Then there was another 1216-1220, and now the brewings of one in 1238. No empire can support a civil war every other decade...

FlyingDutchie - Gabriel definitely has the best military ability, and likely the most cunning amongst the siblings. His problem, however, is that he's not up against just a sibling--he's up against Bardas and Bardas' allies too. As they're all Komnenids, expect them to be formidable...

Alan deLane - Welcome to the AAR! I'm glad you're enjoying things so far! There are many who post in this thread who don't have English as their mother tongue, so don't worry! :) Machiavelli would have definitely approved of most of Manuel's actions, especially towards the end. All for the state, all for the succession...

von Sachsen - Ah, my poor readers! I've conditioned you so well that you all expect any wine, food, or other consumable item mentioned in the story to be poisoned! :rofl: Nope, no poison needles, no poisoned grappa, just little asides I threw in to add some humanity to the scene...

Siind - Hehehe... not so much! Besides, Bardas is far more cautious than some of the others, I highly doubt he's going to even have servants around him that he hasn't vetted personally...

Christian V - So far Mr. Albrecht has disappeared, as has Thomas the Younger. Are they in cahoots? Or has the Emperor's youngest son simply disappeared? We can safely be sure if he was in Konstantinopolis that Bardas would've had him taken in and tonsured and blinded as well. Bardas said nothing about Thomas though...

Nikolai - There is always the possibility the other two could kill each other off, or wear out their 'candidacy' through some action (or inaction). Thomas doesn't seem to be a natural candidate for the throne, however, not of his own accord at least...

asd21593 - I won't say much, except that this will be like the 1202 civil war--after the smoke clears, there are some changes that will stay permanent...

Deamon - *hands Deamon the "I'm voting for the drunkard" placard* :D

Fulcrumvale - Religious battlelines have long been drawn and there's no doubt the civil war is going to deepen them. Masses that feel they are persecuted almost always come up with new and unique ways of defining themselves, as well as resisting the power they feel is oppressing them...

Servius Magnus - Let's be honest. Manuel likely would have all three heirs assassinated, then handed the empire over to the strongest relative while eliminating all other claimants. Who would Manuel have picked, though? Of the Big Three, Theodoros has the political and administrative skills of a drunken weasel, which leaves Bardas or Adrianos...

RGB - You should've known Bardas was trouble when it took him gaining the title Despotes to move against the north Italians trying to remove a Komnenid from the throne...

English Patriot - Bloody hell indeed. Two Emperors at once, crowned separately, can't lead to any good. Unless someone pulls a miracle and persuades the two to function as co-Emperors. That'd require getting rid of Bardas, however...

Enewald - Well, you know, civil wars are the latest "in thing" from Constantinople! :)

Qorten - The Komnenids have resisted, beaten, or outright conquered all outside rivals. They are their own worst nightmare...

Wait, Theodoros and Adrianos? who are they?
And i think were over due a brutally efficent Emperor who doesnt let anyone question his rule, and a little madness always helps with that. And the i want 14 and a half oranges was Thomas II before he talked to his son about the new thomasine walls.

This doesn't bode very well for Romaion, at all. But I like chaos and confusion and no Empire should last for ever. Hopefully it won't fragment as quickly as Alexander's Empire did during the Diadoch Wars following his death, the work of generations ruined in just 30-40 years.

I am, however, actually rooting for Bardas. Not only because I associate his name with his great beard, but also because I think it's time that a sane branch of the Komnenoi are put on the throne. The Thomas'es we have had recently might have been brilliant in their own way (or, well not Thomas I) but their minds have only had a bad effect on the Empire as a whole.

Well BT, it looks as if, to put it mildly: "The shit has hit the fan". :D:p

But in terms of what Romanion is experiancing, it is interesting that someone put it into the terms of Alexander the Great's conquests and the Diadochi Wars that followed.

It seems the further way from Constantinople's control base, the more likely subsequent regions are bound to revolt and form their own power bases. Hence Alexio's "Western Empire" in Spain, Bardas in Italy, the House of Dau and Egypt, etc.

All in all, it'll be fascinating to see where this all goes. I guess in this timeline: "Rome founded the modern world, Constantinople helped to shape it."

But alas, I've not got very much to add other than looking forward to the next update! :D

Sorry, but I couldn't resist anylonger:

Oh, wait! Thomas was probably buried at sea. All that golden armor would take him straight to the bottom, where he belongs!

:rofl: <-- Me, rolling with laughter on the deck of a ship, several thousand feet above Thomas' final resting place.

:cool: <--- Me, standing in the background, humming to AP's dance macabre and being happy about standing several thousand feet above Thomas' final resting place.

I have now read the entire AAR, twice.

Mattabesta & Nikolai - Oh come on! It's not that long, only the length of a tome, or a multivolume encyclopedic set...:rofl:

von Sachsen - Twice?! That is dedication. You're ahead of my own boyfriend! (who has made it through the first post in two months. That's it. He's a lazy bum. :p)

Alan deLane - I think most of the readers were also having some form of celebration when Thomas I died. :) Now, to come up with a suitable Christmas present for you all this year...:cool:

Ksim3000 - In scifi, that phrase is known as "the fecal matter has hit the rotary air impeller." :D Romanion has, at this point, quite a few powerbases that if left to their own devices, could form the core of quite powerful kingdoms in their own right. Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

North Italy
South Italy
Tunisia/Carthage
Egypt
Syria
Iraq/Mesopotamia
Persia
Anatolia
Greece
Balkans
Thrace/Constantinople

A relative measure of how well the central government is keeping control could be to keep track of how many of these "core areas" are under effective control of Konstantinopolis...

vanin - This are piling up to something big going down, but just because things are piling up doesn't necessarily mean it all comes crashing down overnight. The Empire has already seen itself fragment and come back together (the Second Komnenid Civil War, Andreas Kaukadenos' War). What it really needs, however, is a long period of restive peace, several decades worth, or one of these civil wars, maybe even this one, will snap it all apart...

Hawkeye1489 - Theodoros was the Despotes and distant cousin charged with watching Egypt (his brother Nikolaios served as Regent while he was away, and perished in the tsunami). Adrianos is Prince of Edessa and de facto Despotes of Syria and the Levant.

Servius Magnus - Oh, you will enjoy one of the Emperors coming down the line...

So the next update is about 60% done. My goal is to have it finished and posted sometime tonight, hopefully. It hink you all will enjoy it. :)

Secondly, I'm starting a long overdue project of redoing this AAR's entry in the Inkwell/Table of Contents. I don't like the graphic at the top anymore... it's ugly and was made when I was in my "Whee! I can make weird things!" stage of learning Photoshop. :) So below, I have the new header for Rome AARisen I'll be putting up shortly:

writingtopnewcopy.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions on if it could be made better?

I'm also going to be doing graphics for each chapter (and those graphics will then link to a list of posts I'll be putting up here in the AAR). Here's where I'm stuck right now--does anyone have any ideas on what I should use for the graphics of each chapter? At first I was going to do a graphic of a book with the spine labeled with the chapter title, but I can't get that to work right. If at all possible, I want to avoid using the pics I've used to characters, to avoid any unintentional spoilers for people who have just started. Ideas, suggestions?

:cool: <--- Me, standing in the background, humming to AP's dance macabre and being happy about standing several thousand feet above Thomas' final resting place.

I approve. :rofl:

Hmmmm. I do like that picture BT although if I may make a suggestion....what you could do is add several "important" Emperors to the background that have made huge changes to the Empire. My guessing at this stage would be Demetrios Megas and Thomas II. Maybe Manuel in the middle to represent the Machiavellian side of Constantinople....

Just my thought to represent "the greatest dynasty" though I'm not sure if that would get messy. Just a thought...

Also, I do agree with you on the "power bases". Under Demetrios, I felt the Empire was at least manageable. However, the more they expanded, the more harder it has been to control.

I feel the most efficient emperor at keeping things under control was Manuel. Under him, I do feel no one would have been breaking away...then again, could the "Spider" really work miracles?

Still, I feel if Constantinople wants to reign supreme, it needs to do one thing and one thing only: Control the overall economy. Its one of the reasons the British Empire lasted as long as it did. Instead of military might (in particular with India) we just dominated the trade.

If a future Emperor was to embark upon that path instead of continuing to go the traditional route of dominating via force of arms, the empire might survive longer. Am I making any sense with this? Basically, I'm suggesting that all territories are dependent upon Constantinople....

Just a thought. Might be good for your EUIII AAR sometime. ;)

Anyway, just my incomprehensible babble this round! :D Oh, and I like the sci-fi term also!

Last but not least, I do re-read the AAR quite regularly too! Last night, I was re-reading (to the track of Demetrios Megas) his last battle with the Turks. MAN, how long we've come since then! In game time, thats 108 years ago! :eek:

Btw, what graphics are you referring to? I do like the banners on the top of the page if that is what your referring too?

interregnumbannerideacopy.jpg

“When a loyal man shows himself, snatch up his services. When a devil shows himself, keep him just as close. It is far easier to kill the devil nearby than it is to hunt down one from afar.” – Nikolaios Komnenos, Advice to the Prince

July 7th, 1238

Aetios Silvagentios wanted to yawn and stretch in the hot sun, but somehow, he managed to keep himself in check. While it would’ve been completely unprofessional, Silvagentios cared little for that—it was more the mutterings and grumblings of the men lined up before his desk under the merciless July sun that kept him in place, looking as officious as he could. At the moment, he’d give his right arm to lay in the cool of an Abkhazian forest, or dip himself into one of the baths of Damascus, but he couldn’t do those things any longer.

Not when a shipping canal needed dug, and he was the master of payments for the laborers hired out to do the work. The Orontes River had slowly been silting up for years, which spelled bad news for the major shipping magnates of Antioch. So with the help of the great Komnenid princes of the city, they had commissioned a five mile long canal to be built around the silted section—and an Aetios Silvagentios, freshly decommissioned and needing work, had found employment as the ‘paymaster’ for this particular section of the great project.

The tall, thin Silvagentios almost looked out of place in the Syrian heat. He was of mixed Italian and Greek stock, with a long thin face complimented by a nose of the same. Dark brown locks perpetually got in front of his eyes. Aetios batted some away in annoyance, reminding himself when he finally got back to the ramshackle hovel he called a home, he needed to take a dagger and lop some of those strands off. For now, he grumbled as they blocked his view of the line of laborers, ready to receive their week’s earnings. Silvagentios’ spatha hung from his old tagmata belt, thumping against his Norman-style trousers.

silvagentios.jpg

Aetios Silvagentios, ex-kentarchos

“Bloody hot,” he muttered to no one in particular. “Couldn’t get much worse, could it, William?”

Silvagentios looked over towards the portly, ever squinting form of William Fitzgerald, the foreman’s official clerk, secretary, and money counter. The Norman hailed from some place in southern Italy, the bastard son of a bastard who, despite his officious appearance, was building a brood of bastards of his own. He served as the brains for the two-man crew that handled the constant whining, howling, and complaining of ‘honest laborers,’ a perfect compliment to Aetios’ military veteran brawn. William looked up, and flashed what could, in passing, be described as a thin smile.

“It always could,” the dour Norman shot back, before looking back down at the paper before him. “Um… Leonidas Mar…Marmarostili?” the Norman frowned, wrapping his tongue around the strange Greek name. Several men in the line frowned or shrugged. Even Aetios raised an eyebrow at the monstrous surname.

“That’s a mouthful,” Silvagentios murmured, before looking back up, for the first time seeing the man who bore the hellacious name—and his eyebrow rose even further.

Aetios was used to seeing laborers who looked akin to the walls of Antioch—low, wide and powerful. This Leonidas was anything but—he was as thin as a stick, with overly large ears and deep brown eyes that showed far more innocence than a rough and tumble day laborer should have. He was dressed plainly enough, that was true, with simple trousers, a shirt and a red scarf, but his face was handsome—far too handsome for that of a malnourished, ill-treated peasant. When he walked forward, he almost stumbled clumsily, seemingly without the bare grace necessary for a labrorer to throw dung in the air without hitting himself.

Immediately, Aetios’ suspicions erupted. Several times a month, some clever chap decided he had a perfect scheme to take a few extra coppers for himself—and it was Aetios’ job to find these would be thieves and stop them before they stole money, or started a brawl in the line, whichever came first.

“Leonidas?” the paymaster reached into his purse, drawing out the copper solidus the man was due, and flicking it between his fingers. “Odd name. Tell me, where are you from?”

“I’m…I’m from Konstantinopolis.”

“New to the site?” Aetios pressed.

“Yes… sir,” the man said, adding the respectful form of address all too slowly. Some might have dismissed it as churlishness, but Aetios had seen enough of that to know when someone was intentionally disrespecting him and his position. No… this man almost seemed to forget, as if it had simply skipped his mind.

Aetios’ eyebrow arced even higher. The man’s Greek was flawless, without the guttural smack of the lowly streets, the mud and dust of a Syrian accent. Silvagentios had only heard highborn chillarchoi and strategoi speak such Greek outside of the priests of Holy Church. Something definitely was not right. On instinct, the paymaster glanced momentarily at the hands of this ‘Leonidas.’ They were smooth, pale white, not the calloused, cracked, and sunbeaten hands of a worker.

Subtly, the paymaster’s eyes flicked upwards towards the line of people behind the ‘Leonidas’ with well-honed precision. Warily, they spent a second drifting from person to person, taking in scars, missing teeth, and shifty looks. Quickly, he spotted three men further back in the line—they looked rough, burly and tanned by hours under the sun, but their gazes were too keen, too sharp, too focused on the boyish man at the front of the line.

Silvangentios smiled thinly, flicking the coin back into his purse. So, the oldest trick remained the favorite—altering the list of workmen and faking that one was new to steal a day or two’s wages. Aetios immediately guessed the workings of the operations—Leonidas, likely a partly educated sort, was the brains, while his buddies in back served as the brawn. The silver solidus was likely just going to be funneled into some scheme or other to commit villainy elsewhere in the city.

“William, take the next person in line,” Aetios said calmly, eyes boring in on those of Leonidas. “Leonidas and I need to have a private conversation…” Aetios smiled grimly.

“Um… why?” the man said worriedly, using more proper Greek than Aetios had heard in a long time. A true laborer would’ve uttered some guttural, profanity laced complaints about not receiving his money immediately.

“Just a couple issues we’ve got to clear up, since you’re new,” Aetios lied, taking the young man by the arm and pulling him away from the line. Out of the corner of his eye, the paymaster caught the three others growing fidgety, and he felt their eyes boring in on him. The final evidence he needed came when all three broke out of line, walking towards the back, staring the whole time.

“Well, Leonidas,” Aetios finally turned to him, his face falsely grave ,”we have a few problems. First, because ‘marble column’ is a fake surname.”

thomassurprised.jpg

A very surprised ‘Leonidas Marmarostili’

“Whuh…” the young man stuttered, eyes wide. Aetios smiled—this was probably Leonidas’ first pull, and he likely walked in with all the confidence in the world, not expecting to get caught by a retired kentarchos!

“I think you and I need to take a trip down to the City Prefect’s Office.”

With speed that would have done a panther proud, Aetios gripped the young man’s arm tightly. The young man didn’t even have a chance to move before Aetios’ vice-like hold had his arm. The paymaster gave a harsh yank, pulling ‘Leonidas’ off his feet. “No doubt you’ll have some interesting story to tell Phillipos,” Aetios allowed himself a dark chuckle, “but the Prefect is an honest man. You lie to him, and you’ll lose both hands, not just one!”

“B…both?” the young man stuttered, as Silvagentios yanked him away from the now gawking paymaster line and into the streets of Antioch. Aetios was relieved—the young man wasn’t struggling at all, he seemed in utter, complete shock.

“Y…you can’t do that!” the young man finally cried, the shock wearing off and the panic that Aetios expected finally arriving in full force. The young man tugged, but the ex-kentarchos merely kept his right grip. “You can’t! Please, good sir, you can’t have my hand chopped off like a common thief! I am no thief!”

“I’ve never heard that before!” Aetios rolled his eyes.

“No! You can’t! I’m…I’m not Leonidas!”

“I know you’re not,” Silvagentios stopped momentarily as the narrow street they were following emptied into a large plaza festooned with merchant tents and covered with people. Merchants from all across the Near East filled the plaza—men in turbans speaking Farsi haggled with Jews in yarmulkes, Romans rubbed shoulders with Turks, and even the occasional Cuman. It was a sea of chaos, exotic sights and sounds filling the senses.

The paymaster caught the young man’s three accomplices from the corner of his eye—so, they were following. Aetios normally didn’t like to take the thieves he caught through a crowded place like the market—too many chances for them to make a break—but if this young man had three buddies bent on violence to get him free, strolling into the market square filled with hundreds of potential witnesses wouldn’t be a bad thing.

“I…I can give you good money if you let me go!” the young man cried, pulling and twisting his arm now. For someone thin and scrawny, he was surprisingly strong. “Five hundred gold solidii!

“You’re as bad a liar as a thief!” Aetios frowned, yanking the young man into the sea of people. By the looks of him, the boy had maybe ten silver solidii to his name. Silvagentios didn’t know any chillarchoi who had five hundred solidii! Yet the young man’s lie wasn’t the only reason he frowned. The would-be thief hadn’t even bothered to look even remotely at his three friends, all of whom were still shadowing Silvagentios from a distance. For as rank an amateur as this young man had been, Aetios refused to believe he was disciplined enough to not even try to check if his accomplices were going to rescue him…

Aetios felt a slight tug, his eyes looking back, checking on the three men. It wasn’t nearly as strong as the others, so the paymaster paid little attention. In fact, his first indication something was wrong was the look of surprise in one of the shadowers’ faces. Instantly, Silvagentios knew what’d happen, before he even turned.

He was loose.

Somehow, young ‘Leonidas’ had twisted free, and amidst the noise of merchants calling wares and screaming at each other, the paymaster hadn’t heard the noise of cotton ripping. By the time Aetios turned around, already breaking into a run, the young man was a good ten strides ahead, running at full tilt.

thomasleapingmarket.jpg

‘Leonidas’ proved very hard to catch…

“Stop!” Aetios snarled, hand on his sword-hilt as he dashed after the young man. Aetios wasn’t too worried—in the crowded market, so long as Silvagentios could see the young man, he could catch him. Invariably, the thieves would misstep on the myriad of wares scattered about, or run into some merchant who stepped into the chase path. Then, all Silvagentios had to do was catch up—and avoid those hazards himself.

But it was not to be.

The young man had the speed of a deer and the grace of a leopard, leaping over fruit vendor ranks and tumbling around boxes of cheap Mesopotamian cotton. His very gangliness and awkwardness seemed to be an advantage, as he twisted, ducked, and stumbled around every chance obstacle in his path. It took all of Aetios’ skill to keep up with that gazelle, as he darted to and fro as the man careened about.

If Silvagentios hadn’t been busily involved in footrace, he might have wondered why the young man, fleeing the law, might have yelled “Sorry!” every time he bumped into a merchant’s stall or disrupted some wares. He also might have wondered why the youthful perpetrator was dashing towards the Prefect’s Office, not away, but Aetios was too focused on keeping his quarry in sight and not smashing into things to worry over such small details.

Finally, Leonidas took a wrong turn, and suddenly the two were no longer running amidst the clamor and confusion of the market. Their footfalls echoed up the nearly deserted side street, the only other noise being the surprised squawks of people and fowl who had to jump out of the way. Aetios momentarily thought he heard footfalls behind him, but he was too focused to pay little more heed to the noise.

It wasn’t long before his target took a bad turn, and skidded to a halt before a dead end to a back alley. Aetios slowed his run to a walk, his breath coming out in ragged gasps. He wasn’t as young as he used to be.

“Aha!” Silvagentios growled, his spatha out. “That’s enough…” Silvagentios breathed heavily. He wasn’t a young man, and he hadn’t been forced to chase a thief in some time. “Come… quietly, and I’ll… hand you over to… the Prefect. Run any more,” Aetios hissed, adopting the snarl of a kentarchos’ bellow, “and I’ll… just wet my spatha… in your guts!”

The young man’s eyes went wide at Aetios’ blade. The young man’s eyes flashed about, desperately looking for a way out of the mess, yet only finding stone and brick on three sides, and a tired and cross Silvagentios on the last. He had no where to run, no where to hide, unless he could pull another miracle and climb up stone walls. Aetios prayed that wasn’t the case—the tagmata had taught him how to run with stamina, but climbing sheer stone walls was not something prospective kentarchoi were taught.

“I’m Prince Thomas Komnenos, son of the Emperor!” the man cried, desperation obvious in his voice. “Let me go, I beg you in the name of all that is holy!” The young man fell to his knees. “I know I stayed in Antioch too long and I was supposed to be in Konstantinopolis! Please, I beg you, I only wanted to see…”

Aetios cocked his head to the side, breaths still coming quick and ragged as he ignored the rest of the man’s babbling. That first phrase rattled momentarily in the paymaster’s head, before his ragged gasps for air turned into a chuckle, then outright laughter.

“You… you…wait!” Aetios laughed, holding up his hand. By God, that was one he hadn’t heard before. “You said you’re who?”

“Prince Thomas Komnenos!” the young man cried again desperately.

“Good,” a gruff voice said from behind.

Aetios spun around. And found he was face to face with the three men that’d been shadowing him and ‘Leonidas.’ He instantly recognized how they fanned themselves out across the alley—they too were blocking any possibility of escape.

silvagentios3.jpg

Don’t back a kentarchos into a corner…

“I warn you, back off!” Aetios snapped, the deadly point of his spatha now facing them. “Your friend is under arrest, and I…”

To his surprise, the closest of them, a tall, especially greasy looking fellow with an obvious snaggle tooth, broke out in laughter, the noise sounding like the baying of a hyena. Other than the few locals present scurrying away, it was the only noise in the alley.

“Friend?” The greasy one cackled.

“He is no friend,” the man who had shifted to the right when they’d fanned out murmured. He was far taller, with the swarthy complexion and jet-black hair of a Cuman. “He has a price on his head.”

“A hefty price,” the greasy one murmured. There was the rough hiss of steel sliding against steel as he drew a nasty looking dagger of Cuman make. “Now, I suggest you get out of the way, old man,” the greasy one sneered, as the other two flanking him did the same.

Silvangetios’ eyes narrowed.

So they were murderers? Young ‘Leonidas’ must have been a true rank amateur, to have angered some criminal lord so much they hired thugs to kill him! Yes, that had to be it. Otherwise, was he…?

Aetios shook his head. There was no way the young man’s story held any truth! The sheer impossibility of the tale! Regardless of the truth or falsehood of the young man’s words, three men were here to murder someone Aetios Silvagentios was taking to the City Prefect. That was something the paymaster was not about to let happen—no matter who the young man was, or why they wanted his blood!

“I am older than you,” the ex-kentarchos murmured in reply, “but my sword still cuts deep.” Silvagentios felt his emotions calm as he serenely sized up his new opponents. They all held their knives like professionals—the blade naturally pointing up, where it could stab, slash or parry. Aetios knew his spatha had a much longer reach, however—a reach he intended to use if things came to blows.

“This man is under arrest,” Silvagentios repeated himself, as he heard a frightened whimper from behind him. He was no longer surprised at the cool, calm voice that came from his mouth when he was about to fight. He’d been surprised the first day it’d appeared—the last day at Neapolis, amidst the smoke and carnage. That cool calm voice saved a chillarchii as the Mongol horse thundering through the Roman lines! Compared to the Mongols, these three rogues were supposed to frighten him? “You three, be on your way, before there’s trouble.”

“Hey,” the taller one held a hand out in front of his grubby companion, “the old man’s like us! He’s waiting for the right price!” The man turned back and grinned, his mouth an toothless black maw. “Hey, 50 silver says you leave here, you forget us, and you forget Leonidas here!” Suddenly, a coin purse landed before Silvagentios’ feet. “Take your price, and get out of here!”

Aetios looked down at the purse, before levelly returning his gaze up at the tall Cuman. He smiled slightly, before kicking the purse away.

“He’s a fool!” the third man, a short, grubby man that had the looks of an Italian grumbled. The man flicked his dagger up.

The tall Cuman shrugged. “Boss said nothing about not killin’ anyone that got in the way!” He waved his hand, and all three started forward.

Aetios lowered his spatha into the low guard position, saying nothing as the three men approached. Silvagentios slowly backed up, eyes darting between the three threats, keeping himself between them and their apparent quarry. Several deathly quiet moments passed across the plaza as the two parties sized each other, feinting not with blades, but furrowed brows, trying to mentally outmaneuver the other, the only noise the sound of sand and dirt crunching underfoot.

Finally, it was the short snaggle-toothed Greek who lunged first. He leapt forward, blade coming from high, too high for Aetios to parry immediately. So the paymaster spun himself around, dodging the blow and into position to deliver a sharp elbow to the man as he passed behind. The thug had clearly lunged before his friends expected, for they stood, rooted, for just half a moment, as their minds caught up with the action that suddenly exploded before them.

Half a moment was all Silvagentios needed.

His foot kicked up and high, flinging the sandy dust that perpetually coating the streets of Antioch up and into the eyes of the two assailants before him. One, the tall Cuman, twisted his face away and raised his arm in time, the other did not, and howled as sand blasted into his eyes. Aetios used the brief moment to lunge forward, spatha drawn back, his training as a kentarchos coming to the fore. Blinded or no, the men had drawn blades on him, and he had no regrets as his own sword slashed open the belly of the blinded Italian. He howled, screaming words in his own tongue as he collapsed to the street, blood staining the sand and dirt a dull brown.

Aetios’ eyes came up. The Cuman was lowering his arm, finally reacting, bringing his own blade to bear. Silvagentios instinctually brought his larger, heavier spatha up, smashing into the Cuman’s hand. The man howled as skin separated from bone, and his sword-hand’s fingers sailed through the air alongside his dagger. Aetios snapped the sword around again with a vicious backhand, snapping the flat of the blade into the man’s jaw. Bones snapped, and blood and teeth joined the fingers in an arc through the air.

Silvagentios spun back around to the final assailant behind him. Aetios’ elbow from behind had knocked him to the ground. He was only just rising, but he was starting forward, towards the cowering form of ‘Leonidas.’ Without a thought, Silvagentios lunged forward, driving the spatha deep into the man’s back. The Greek gurgled as Aetios twisted the blade, then kicked the dying man down to the ground.

The veteran kentarchos brought his sword back up into a guard position, eyes flashing around for any more threats. All he saw were shuttered windows, all he heard were the howls of the Italian, the whimpering of the Cuman, and the death rattle of the Greek. After a moment, satisfied the last two were the only potential threats, Aetios turned to them, his spatha pointed to them just as before.

“Begone, both of you, before I finish the job!” Silvagentios’ snarled at the bloody men, his bellow as loud as the ones he gave at Neapolis. The one whose mouth was nothing more than a bloody maw quickly complied, clutching his mauled hand, but his friend was far too slow rising for Aetios’ tastes. A helpful boot to the chest told him that, slash wound or no, he had best be on his way more quickly. As soon as the last of them disappeared down the alley, Silvagentios turned back to ‘Leonidas’ and sighed.

The young man was curled in a ball, hands in front of his face, sobs shaking his body. From behind shaking fingers, his blue eyes were staring at the dead Greek in the street. When Aetios reached out, the young man recoiled from the touch.

“Come on, boy,” the paymaster grunted, grabbing one of the boy’s hands and pulling. ‘Leonidas’ stumbled to his feet, his whole body shaking like a leaf. “You and I are still going to the Prefect’s office!”

Aetios didn’t say it was more because he was bloody confused now as to what exactly had just happened.

==========*==========

Genoese_Palace_in_Galata_Istanbul.jpg

The City Prefect’s Palace of Antioch, as it looks today

Silvagentios sighed, worriedly looking out the window of the City Prefect’s palace towards the receding red of the setting sun. It’d been nearly three hours since he’d hauled Leonidas into the offices, to the cluck of Christophoros, the clerk Aetios couldn’t stand that the jail beneath “had little enough room as is.” Aetios had been in the midst of tongue-lashing the man when Phillipos Rhagabe, City Prefect for Antioch, had come into the room filled with the noise of shouting.

And his face had gone white.

Aetios stuck the point of his sword into the wooden floorboards, and spun the blade ‘round and ‘round for the umpteenth time since the Prefect had hurriedly taken the boy away. Shortly thereafter, a servant boy, face white as a sheet, had come into the room and informed Aetios to follow him upstairs. After providing him a chair on the window side of a rickety table, the servant had left, muttering about a “Lord von Franken,” or something.

Aetios had seen no one since.

Part of Silvagentios’ mind wondered if William had managed to keep the peace in the line, but none of that was the veteran’s concern now. He’d heard the noise of voices in a room next door—raised, angered voices. He couldn’t catch most of what was said… someone calling another “stupid,” and something about someone named Bardas. Whatever the conversation was, Aetios knew waiting in the Prefect’s Palace meant one thing.

He’d officially done a Very Bad Thing.

Maybe there was truth to the boy’s story after all? Maybe the boy simply had a powerful backer? Aetios didn’t know for sure. All he knew was that the normally punctual, efficient Phillipos had left him waiting for hours on end, just to hand him the standard ten silver fee for apprehending a thief.

So, when the door to the small, stuffy room finally opened, Silvagentios was already starting to rise out of his seat, his mind confused and worried while his tongue prepared to harshly demand an explanation.

“Why have you…” Aetios started to complain, before the words died in his mouth. Standing in the doorway was a man of average height, whose curly hair had slight tinges of gray at its root. His eyes, deep brown, looked Aetios up and down with the appraising gaze Silvagentios had last seen from a chillarchos some twenty years before. His robes—fine silk, ermine fur—and his jewels, pearls, and rubies on rings that studded each of his fingers, spoke of someone far more important than a mere battalion commander.

“My name is Albrecht von Franken,” the man said simply. Hands dripping with jeweled rings moved those fine ermine and silk robes, as the man took his seat opposite Aetios. “I am Megoskyriomachos, and answer only to the Emperor. I do believe your name is Aetios Silvagentios?”

vonfrankenannoyed.jpg

A very annoyed Albrecht von Franken…

Aetios swallowed hard, his heart sinking fast. So that young whelp was? And this man knew his name? Neither of those spelled anything good—Aetios had attempted to arrest a Prince of the Empire? Visions of prison cells, tonsures and blindings danced in the paymaster’s mind.

A very weak, very timid, “Yes,” was all the ex-kentarchos could muster.

“Please,” the man smiled thinly, annoyance plain in his eyes, “be at ease. No one present seeks to prosecute you for arresting a Prince of the Empire. Instead…”

“Thank Christ,” Silvagentios hissed out without any thought whatsoever. Aetios decided he would most certainly be in the Basilica that evening, and would most certainly stay through the entire service! He’d…

Silvagentios realized the powerful lord across the table from him was drumming his fingers on the table impatiently. Aetios looked back up, flushed, fearful he’d caused some other offense.

“Instead,” the man went on as if he hadn’t been stopped at all, “I am to give you this, for saving Prince Thomas from those assassins.” From somewhere within the folds of his beautiful attire, a silver threaded silk pouch was in his hands. Assassins? He slew an assassin, and mauled two others? Aetios muttered another quiet thank you to God. As von Franken slid the pouch onto the table, Silvagentios heard the clink of coins, and thought he saw the glint of gold through the opening. He looked momentarily at von Franken, then towards the pouch.

Just as his hand reached for it, the lord’s hand snatched his up with a grip far more powerful than Silvagentios expected.

“If,” von Franken added, “you agree to join the Prince’s staff as a bodyguard.” The smile on the man’s face grew, but was just as thin, just as annoyed.

Silvagentios swallowed hard again, fairly sure that refusal was simply not an option—so he nodded.

“Good,” the man named von Franken leaned back, and folded his hands. “Mind you, the young Prince won’t be taking any unannounced, foolhardy walkabouts of Antioch incognito ever again. Of course, he says he wanted to merely see a building site without the pomp and circumstance of an actual visit, and… Bah!,” the man snarled before composing himself with a sigh father’s normally reserved for rambunctious children, “Anyway, you’ll be expected to guard his person and his chambers. Damned idiot,” von Franken snapped, and finally Aetios realized the man’s annoyance wasn’t with him after all—it was directed solely, it seemed, at the young prince…

Von Franken sighed, and a slight, far more genuine smile crossed his lips. “So, Aetios? Taking down three assassins told me you had fighting skills. Needless to say, I’m not surprised to find out you were a kentarchos, but Neapolis?”

“I…uh…” Aetios stumbled.

“The fact,” von Franken spoke over him, “that you guarded the Prince without knowing his identity further proves you honorable nature, in not just my eyes, but those of Prince Thomas. I trust I need not tell you the price of failure to do your duty, now that you’ve agreed?”

Aetios shook his head.

“Good. Now then, you’ll be receiving 25 gold solidii per month as your starting salary, with more…”

==========*==========​

So Thomas likes to take incognito walks in the city, and nearly ends up in trouble, saved by an army veteran who arrested him for his trouble. Bonus points to anyone who can tell me where Aetios Silvagentios comes from (and a link to it! :) ) Yet there’s one puzzling fact—how did Albrecht end up in Antioch? Why wasn’t he in Konstantinopolis? And where’s Gabriel?

I'm calling it now, Thomas will not only survive the coming troubles but will come out on top. Bardas will get Gabriel in some really nasty, underhanded way and Thomas will triumph over Bardas somehow.

I see it coming, General, because I have ESPN, and I can watch your mind on my big HD TV :D

I heard Thomas can walk through walls and turn himself into inanimate objects...but that would make Albrecht cross because he's using magic again...

:rofl:

Well, we know Thomas survives at least until 1255 to write a book about his life.
And this is in no way a very bad thing, but either Aetios is a very minor character or you are getting very desperate for pictures, becuae that one has him wearing a leather jacket!

Last edited:
Excellent update :D Good choice on the piccy and great visceral combat :D