• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An excellent post. I can't help to notice that Gabriel has a hint of Thomas II in him; cutting off Thomas the Youngest and taking his idea in a slightly modified form...

Nikolai - A little... but Gabriel was likely infinitely more polite about it than his father was/is...

Archduke - No, don't take that too literally... "the Youngest" is how I'm mentally keeping him straight from his father and grandfather. Once we start dealing with people from multiple generations alive at once with the same name, I start attaching a moniker to keep them separate. A few generations ago we went through the same thing with Demetrios... there was the Megas, his son (who became Nearos, the Younger), then Basil's brother who was Koutsos (the Short)...

Fulcrumvale - It's not so much the central tagmata have recovered--they're on their way, but as you said, tagmata are hard to rebuild--it's more the richer themes have stepped into the gap. Edessa, for example, didn't mobilize most of its troops in the civil war (they were still smarting from Tabriz), so they've had far more time to build up a competent core of thematakoi that could almost stand toe to toe with their imperial cousins. While this is good in the short term (the Empire gets well trained and drilled troops for campaign), I'm sure the long term problems of multiple themes gaining this ability are very obvious...

Great way to explain away their peace with you. :)

And there I was expecting the whole invasion to fall apart like a house of cards. Even so, now comes the hard part of actually controlling the thing.

Hah.

Hwachas for everyone!

:D

Keep getting error msgs during startup. Gives me the option to stop, retry, and ignore but curser will not move. any help?

I think you're in the wrong thread :).

Anyway -

Ha, funny CK AI, good job explaining away, I do hope Thomas gets more time in the field, he'll need it, Romanion isn't all court intrigue!

I was unpleasantly surprised by Hulagu offering peace - despite your great chapter I still perceive it as an anticlimax. It is unbelievable how badly CK simulates the mongol invasions.
So, since Hulagu did not take Baghdad, does that mean the Abbassid Kalipha is still alive?

Laur

So, since Hulagu did not take Baghdad, does that mean the Abbassid Kalipha is still alive?

Alive as in under Roman rule/in exile somewhere in Somalia.

Very nice battle, BT.

Also a very enjoyable soundtrack. The first part is NWN2, and I know I recognize the second part, but I can't for the life of me remember from where...

The very beginning of it is actually from Mount & Blade, but then when the music starts off it's NWN2, and the last part ALMOST sounds halfway like a movie theme of some sort... very sweeping, very big. I also seem to remember it...

As for the update, it was quite enjoyable. Hwachas for everyone indeed!

Kirsch27 - I'm surprised you all forgot Gabriel's Theme so quickly! :rofl: The last part is from the miniseries Children of Dune, the piece is called "The Jihad."

asd21593 - I take it you approve of little Tommy's reaction?

von Sachsen - I haven't decided yet what is going to happen with the Khalifa yet. I sincerely doubt he'd have stayed in Baghdad after the first war... he likely fled to the Turks. After this second war though... we'll all soon find out. :)

AlexanderPrimus - See above... go check it out. The entire "Dune" soundtrack is pretty amazing, not just that song...

Laur - Tell me about it. By the time the Ilkhanate came, I'd given up on adding troops and the like... I just accepted the silly peace and went on.

English Patriot - I'm afraid Thomas wouldn't be that good at court intrigue either. Excellent architect, bad at intrigue and military stuff though...

RGB - After Lainez snuck back with the recipe for gunpowder, you had to know the Romans would try to copy the thing that was so effective against them! :)

humancalculator - AI silliness can always be explained away with a head beating. :D

“This is… this is madness!”

ThisisByzantium.jpg

Take that, Mongols!

*sigh* It seems the East has no challenges left for Rome to conquer. A shame, though once Persia has been put to heel than I think a final showdown with the West is in order to cap off the fortunes of the Empire in the CK era.

VILenin - You're forgetting the biggest challenge the Romanoi will have to face in the coming century... the Komnenids themselves. I started to try to make another family tree... it might happen down the line, but the project quickly proved overwhelming, simply because they are everywhere, and all of them have a tenuous claim to the Imperial throne. If the main Imperial line (I would argue at this point Basil and his descendants) were to die out...

Qorten - Wow... that was completely unintentional on my part, and it turned out hilarious... :rofl:

I feel for you. I once played a game as with the Sicilian de Hautevilles, and in 1280 or so tried to split the family tree into "de Hauteville-Sicily", "de Hauteville-Egypt" and "de Hauteville-Nicaea". By manually tracking down the whole damn family tree, noting the lines of descendency on paper and then editing the dynasty ids for all characters. Took me about six hours of work, there were so damn many of them. :eek:o

But it was fun once I was through with it. I now had three distinct family trees and it all made sense suddenly... why the one branch would feud so much with the other and why some inheritances kept happening.

That being said congratulations on spinning forward this great story!! I was kind of waiting for Persia to fall eventually, ever since that sneak preview with the Komnenos warrior princess. :) You still have more than half of the CK period left though (you're about at 1236, right?), so there are many many things that can still go wrong with the empire... The glory days of the House of Hohenstaufen in real history lasted only 140 years. The House of Valois maybe 200 years. Your family seems destined to be the Habsburgs of this alternate world, destined to last until the dawn of the machine age and beyond, but who knows what infighting still awaits them...

Last edited:
Hm. Well I don't know what Basil was so worried about. The Roman Empire looks considerably more powerful than it did before the Mongol invasions - most of Persia and North Italy under the Greek jackboot! :p It seems the Romans have rebuilt a disciplined army and especially a powerful cavalry arm quickly after the Battle of Neapolis and the following civil war - the advantage of endless manpower :D

Wonder how the Romans managed to build a Pyrokaros so quickly, and without having any captured examples from the first battle. Perhaps spies? Also how they figured out gunpowder so quickly, when even the Arabs didn't have knowledge of it yet in OTL. Spies again?

Still interested in the Horn of Africa theater. I think my next EU3 game is gonna have to be as Ethiopia now.

It seems the Romans have rebuilt a disciplined army and especially a powerful cavalry arm quickly after the Battle of Neapolis and the following civil war - the advantage of endless manpower :D

Yeah.

It's called "click on Byzantion Province". No rebuilding necessary as such.