• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The existence of large, powerful, non-Muslim empires throughout the Mediterranean basin and Central Asia will probably drive the flow of Islam south, further into Africa and maybe, as people have been debating, the south-east asian archipelagos. I key point I think is whether or not the Mongols end up converting to Islam or not. It would be interesting if some of the branches, the Golder Horde say, converted to Christianity.

Oooooohh.... Christian Mongols would be SO cool! And semi-historical too.

Nikolai - The religious future of the Mongols is likely going to be one of the most interesting historical developments to change in this AAR. Nestorian Christianity has a big place, but so will traditional shamanist and Buddhist elements as well...

VILenin - Islam's main bastions in terms of political power right now are the Seljuk Turkish remnants, Mali, the new Delhi Sultanate, and forces in the Arabian peninsula. With the Seljuks crushed, the other forces are safe from Romanion for the most part, save Arabia should it do something foolish. However, the bulk of the Muslims in the Near East and North Africa are under infidel rule, and there hasn't been a mass exodus, though quite a few Muslim elites in Al-Andalus ended up in Mali...

Enewald - That might be a development slightly outside the purview of a CK, but I have no doubt we'll see a large number of Muslim 'exile colonies' all over the Indian Ocean... and knowing the Mongols, buffer-zone, schmuffer-zone...

Calipah - One major thing that would hold people back from a mass, mass exodus might be the simple want to keep property and lands they already possess. For many people, there's going to be a temptation to stay behind and 'make arrangements' than outright flee. Couple this to the fact that many long range merchant ventures needed people of trust and 'credit' in both the home port and abroad, and you have a recipe for someone needing to stay behind...

von Sachsen - Funny business? There's no funny business in this AAR! Every Komnenoi is an upstanding member of society! :D

Cecesander - It's bold, and if it works according to plan, Persia could fall in a few months. If it doesn't, it could be a multi-year disaster, with the Mongols knocking at the gates...

The_Archduke - The Aionites? They are one of the big surprises and changes I have in store for everyone. You'll be hearing a great deal about the Aionites in the future... and their impact on the future is going to be enormous... ;)

Kirsch27 - Doubter. :p Truth be told, the move into the Caucasus is one of the more cautious parts of the plan... Remember back to 1216, the Mongols know Mahmud of Byzantion well, and they know they're no match for him in the Caucasus. The mere mention of his name and those mountains will likely give the Golden Horde pause. As for the Ilkhanate, I wouldn't expect them to sit aside as the Romans take land they intend for themselves...

Jalex - A great deal rides on Thomas' voices... has he relearned to deal with them. Is he completely bat-**** crazy?

Servius Magnus - That just seemed the logical next step--in game, Byzantion starts with a Large Castle, and I finally got the tech for a Huge Castle, so an upgrade seemed in order. Konstantinopolis likely just gained a large swath of green territory, as well as 20,000 or so more inhabitants from the various suburbs...

asd21593 - Everything sounds like a good plan, till things go awry...

AlexanderPrimus - No plan survives contact with the enemy... especially with a crazy emperor in charge. :)

RGB - I'd be more worried about the Mongols than the Turks--the Seljuks have had their heart torn out... Fahraz might have a few surprises up his sleeve, but nothing the Romans couldn't overcome. Hulagu, however...

humancalculator - Costs might be doable, but alot will depend on how frightened the populations are. If Gabriel's little plan using religious leaders works, a big chunk will simply stay put. If it fails or its undermined by the actions of others, the Romans could face a mass exodus of frightened people, or worse, widespread armed resistance...

English Patriot - The Komnenoi are all about funny business though... :D

Clydwich - Well, the Mongols have suffered some pretty bad setbacks in Persia before this (Faramarz and Ferdows both managed to inflict some nasty defeats on them), the Roman campaign sapped quite a few of the tumen, and of course there was Mohi and Krakow. The core tumen have been smacked around a bit, true, but the Mongols also have more resources to draw from to balance it out, as well as other steppe peoples more firmly into their own hierarchy...

Fulcrumvale - Thomas is the wild card, but by the same token, even crazy as he is, do you think Thomas II, the man whose voices make him think he's invincible, would let his son command the most ambitious operation in Roman history?

Hulagu Khan's tasks, given to him by his brother, the Great Khan Mongke, were the destruction of the Hashashin sect (the Assassins), the dissolution of Abbasid Caliphate (see my signature :) ) and the submission of the Muslim peoples of Persia, Middle-East and Egypt. With the probable exception of the first, all the tasks seem to bring the Ilkhans into conflict with Romaion. Nothing's quiet on the Eastern Front.

Laur

thomasbannerback2copy2.jpg

Verse 6—And lo, Fatima beheld Muhammad at Jabreel’s right, and Isa at Jabreel’s left, and she knew the words of the malaekah to be true.
Verse 7—And she spake, “If my son is to save mankind, my flesh is a small price to pay. Take me into the arms of God, and let my son come forth with the Final Revelation."

- from the Aionite Al-Lawh Al-Mahfouz (The Eternal Tablet)​

May 3rd, 1236

Sharif al-Hinnawi listened as his footfalls echoed, each echoing rumble thunderously loud. The Roman and Egyptian architects that had torn down the remains of the Pharos to build the immense Southern Imperial Palace had done their work well—every noise that echoed in the huge throne room of marble and stone did so with great power—Hinnawi had seen how the acoustics could make a whisper from Prince Theodoros Komnenos, the unofficial Despotes of all Egypt, turn into a thunderous command from on high.

interior-design-remodeling-sheikh-l.jpg

The interior of the reworked Sultan’s palace of Alexandria, now an official imperial residence and oft-home of Theodoros Komnenos. In lieu of destroying the interior, Theodoros has ordered much of the original artwork restored.

Yet for Sharif, each footfall was only a reminder of his footfalls the day before, as he’d run from the palace to his home, only to hear Fatima’s screams, the door blocked by a bevy of midwives and servants. He remembered standing there, stupefied, wondering why the servants were carrying in white towels and bringing out red ones, until he realized…

No. Sharif shook his head desperately. He couldn’t think about that, not now. The Katepanos had summoned him to the palace—something urgent had taken place. Nikolaios Komnenos, brother of the Prince, wouldn’t have summoned his chief logothetes on a day like today unless it was truly urgent. The walk to his lord’s chambers seemed to take forever, but finally servants opened the fine ebony door for the Logothetes ton mousulmanoi to the Katepanos—the ‘Chief Advisor on Muslim Affairs,’ as his full title. Inside, the short, rather plump form of Nikolaios Komnenos looked up at him.

“I’m sorry to call you in on such a day,” Nikolaios said quietly, extending a hand. Sharif took it slowly, and looked into his master’s eyes. Nikolaios Komnenos had deep brown orbs that very rarely hid his emotions, and like Hinnawi expected, they were full of sympathy.

“I…” Sharif started to say, before tumbling over words. He wasn’t sure what to say actually. There was a moment’s awkwardness, before he finally said, “At least the boy will live, inshallah.

“I pray God that he does,” Nikolaios patted his logothetes shoulder, motioning towards the conference table at the center of the room. “Fatima’s loss…” the Katepanos’ voice dropped off, and he merely shook his head. “She was a wonderful woman, Sharif. I am sorry.”

Hinnawi nodded quietly.

“Have you decided on a name?” Nikolaios asked, pouring tea for the both of them. Unlike Theodoros, at least the Katepanos wasn’t a drunkard. “A Greek one, I mean?”

“No,” Sharif said, a little startled. In the chaos of the funeral, making arrangements, and finding someone to nurse the child, Hinnawi had utter forgotten that singularly important detail—the child had no Greek name. “I…I haven’t yet.”

“Don’t name him Nikolaios,” the Katepanos smiled thinly. He pulled out a seat, and Sharif nodded in thanks before sitting down. As usual, Nikolaios did not sit—the man was far too excitable to ever sit.

“I…I haven’t decided his Greek name,” Sharif confessed. The child would be raised in the upper elites of Egyptian society, but Sharif was well aware that for anyone with a Muslim name, there was a glass ceiling in this cosmopolitan world. Thus, like most Muslims under Roman rule, Sharif also had a name he adopted for speaking to Greeks. Nikolaios, in fact, paid him a great compliment by referring to him by his given name, and not his Greek adopted name, Stephanos.

“What’s is local name?” Nikolaios asked. The Greeks collectively referred to Muslim given names as “local names.” Often the Greek aristocracy wasn’t given to keeping track of which specific subculture they were dealing with.

“Adib,” Sharif replied. It was the name of Sharif’s own father, a name of solid Damascus stock. “Lordship, I know you did not call me here the day after I lost a wife and gained a son to discuss his name. If we could…”

“Of course,” Nikolaios nodded. Sharif understood the Katepanos was merely trying to be polite and understanding, but Hinnawi much preferred getting his work here finished so he could go home and mourn his wife. “I have a major problem, Sharif, a problem you know. Al-Nafis.”

Sharif closed his eyes and sighed.

Aladdin Al-Nafis was one of the up and coming teachers in the ulema of Alexandria. He too was originally of Damascus origin, and like Hinnawi he’d moved to Egypt for the unique opportunities presented by the enormous, bustling city of Alexandria. While for Hinnawi it’d been a chance at governmental service, for his childhood friend it was mostly the attraction of the Alexandria ulema, one of largest and most influential in this new, Roman world. The man was a budding polymath. Despite being only 23, Aladdin had already written three treatises on medicine, several of which completely disproved Galen’s concepts of the human body. In addition, the few works he’d already started on Muslim philosophical thought were impeccable. Unfortunately, he was also an anti-Roman hothead—Hinnawi had no doubt his friend’s mouth had gotten him into trouble.

IbnAlNafisCoverImage.jpg

Ala al-Din Abu al-Hassan Ali ibn Abi-Hazm al-Qurashi al-Dimashqi, commonly known as Ibn Al-Nafis

“There must be some mistake,” Sharif said, stalling as best he could. His already worried mind was addled trying to think of a way to save his friend. “I know al-Nafis personally, he is my friend of many years! He’s young, sometimes he speaks in anger and…”

“He really opened his mouth, Sharif,” Nikolaios glowered. “Agents of mine were inside the Mosque to Mahomet,” the Greek butchered the name of the Prophet, “and they recorded down the words he said.” Nikolaios’ hand flitted across the desk to a piece of parchment covered in writing. The paper crinkled angrily as the Katepanos shoved it towards his logothetes. “Read.”

Sharif hastily took the document from his master’s hands, eyes scanning the words. As each word crossed his gaze, his heart fell further and further.

Aladdin had opened his mouth, and all sorts of things had come tumbling out.

“Your Lordship…” Sharif started to say quietly.

“We are at a delicate time here, Sharif,” Nikolaios cut him off, “The most delicate time since the Emperor faced Fahraz in the field near Susa.”

Hinnawi nodded. Those few weeks in July two years past had been… touch and go, at best. There had been a sudden stop in couriers from the Emperor, or Prince Theodoros, and Sharif had to simultaneously keep rumors down, and deal with an increasingly worried, even slightly paranoid Nikolaios. When an imperial messenger finally arrived, revealing the Emperor had willingly cut himself off to surprise and annihilate Fahraz’s army in one fell swoop, Sharif doubted he’d felt more relieved. The Emperor’s death would have been violence and chaos in the streets…

Battle-Damietta.jpg

Emperor Thomas, despite years without seeing battle, had lost little of his martial mettle. Using himself as bait, he and a detachment of 10,000 lured Sultan Fahraz into a trap between the remainder of his own troops and Theodoros Komnenos’ 15,000 men. The last Seljuk organized force was crushed easily, but the war was far from over…

“News?” Sharif asked.

Nikolaios nodded. “I received a dispatch from my brother—he says revolts on the coast are down, and the Emperor has finally managed to quell the more turbulent areas of Isfahan and Shiraz.”

“What of Prince Gabriel?” Sharif muttered. He’d heard stories of the young man. Like Nikolaios, the Prince at least tried to be understanding of Muslims, even if he was not one. Sharif could serve a man like that, just as he willingly served Nikolaios. He heard stories of some of the Romans in Syria who no longer had a Muslim advisor on their staff—they considered it unnecessary.

“Hulagu has finally moved,” Nikolaios said darkly.

mongolthreatcopy.jpg

…for two unforeseen events happened. Firstly, through a long series of misunderstandings, confusion, and outright ignorance, the Romans in the southern columns cause a series of rebellions in places such as Shiraz and Isfahan. Both the Emperor and Prince’s first reaction is to suppress the revolts brutally—Thomas ordering the city of Isfahan burnt after the city refused to surrender to his armies. Further north, the local population has been far more cooperative, but by the spring of 1236 Hulagu was ready to move with an army nearly 50,000 strong. Gabriel and Adrianos have, between them, only 35,000 available to resist…

“Battle?” Hinnawi raised an eyebrow. For two years the Romans had free reign across Persia, and Sharif was personally surprised it’d taken the Mongols that long to move.

“Likely,” Nikolaios started his usual fidgeting. Sharif knew in a minute or so, his master would soon start pacing. “And the Emir of Hejaz…”

“The Sharif?” Hinnawi corrected. To the Romans, Muslim nobility were sheikhs, emirs, or sultans. There was no concept of subtlety in their understanding.

“Yes, him,” Nikolaios went on, paying little heed to his advisor’s correction, “has sent a letter to the Prince of Arabia Petraea, demanding he renounce his allegiance to Konstantinopolis and convert to Islam, or the Hejazi armies will come tumbling down upon his head!” the Katepanos exploded.

Hinnawi blanched slightly. Most of the Despotes’ thematakoi that were free for a field army were in Persia. Since the fall of the Qasim’s, he had no doubt the Levant was not mobilized for a war. It looked as if things could get ugly… quickly.

hejazithreatcopy.jpg

…AND, the opportunistic Sharif of Hejaz is making designs upon the Roman Levant!

“So… a delicate time,” Nikolaios began his ritual pacing. “A delicate time…”

“Shall I talk to Aladdin? Perhaps I can persuade…”

“We’re far past talking, Sharif!” Nikolaios chuckled sarcastically, his pacing drawing to a halt as Sharif winced in preparation for the inevitable explosion. “No, not what he was uttering during the Friday prayers, that’s beyond talking!” Nikolaios finally snapped. “He’s telling people the war in Persia is unjust! He’s saying that the Muslims should fight both Roman and Mongol! And on top of that,” Nikolaios’ hands were flying wildly now, “He’s adding lies and slander! He said I’m a servant of the Devil, and that my brother urinated inside of a mosque!” Nikolaios thundered. “That’s pure slander!“ the man snarled, resuming his stalking. “Theodoros is a bit a-religious, I grant you,” Nikolaios understated, “but he’d never do something that… that daft!

Sharif bit his lip, not saying a thing. In his capacity as advisor to the brother of the Prince of Damietta, Sharif was sure Theodoros Komnenos was capable of such a thing—especially if he ran into a righteous imam who insisted on keeping the Prince out of his mosque. Once his ire was stirred, Theodoros’ temper was legendary.

“And his comments about the Emperor…”

Those words made Sharif’s blood ran cold. He’d heard al-Nafis’ words a week before, and he’d blanched then. Accusing the Emperor of deflowering a hundred virgins? War was war, Sharif knew innocents were harmed, but he could hardly fathom how al-Nafis would know that Emperor Thomas II had burnt Isfahan to the ground, raped all the virgins of the city, then ordered lemon juice strewn over the wreckage. It seemed impossibly insane. To speak truthfully about the local Prince was one thing, to create fabrications about the Emperor was something else entirely.

“That…that was only his third sermon at the mosque,” Sharif said quickly.

“He called for the Muslims of the Empire to rebel,” Nikolaios snapped, “and openly said that the Mongols were agents of God sent to destroy the Roman infidel! Urging the Muslims of Alexandria to rise in arms is far past slander, Sharif! I need your help in finding a suitable way to shut him up!” Nikolaios said darkly. “Petros was in here earlier,” Nikolaios named Damietta’s spymaster, “and he said to just have some men slit this troublemaker’s throat. Sharif, what do you think?”

“You can’t kill him!” Sharif said suddenly. His friend was about to die, his wife had just died, and the young logothetes mind slowly crawled through the glass of weariness, panic and confusion towards a reason why. “He is a consummate physician, one of the greatest medical minds alive!” Sharif said desperately. “His future as a scholar is bright! He could be one of the greatest minds of our generation! To sacrifice that for something he uttered while young and foolish would be…”

“He spoke against the Emperor, there’s no defense against that!” Nikolaios snapped. At Sharif’s look of being taken aback, the Katepanos sighed. “My brother’s legates and functionaries are expecting something to be done about him. If not, I fear they’ll report the whole unsavory affair to Theodoros, and it will be our heads in trouble. And imagine the chaos in the streets if people take his words seriously. I know he’s your friend, but think of your son! He lost a mother yesterday, don’t let him lose a father over some… balderdash a man shouted in a mosque!”

Sharif wanted to tell Nikolaios that those words weren’t ‘balderdash,’ they were honest, truly felt words… but the logothetes held his tongue.

“I called you in because you don’t tell me the usual… balderdash,” Nikolaios waved his hands about angrily, muttering Greek that Sharif didn’t understand, “Tell me the truth. The honest truth. What can I do about this al-Nafis?” the Katepanos complained. “Have him executed?”

“You cannot have him tried and executed for treason,” Sharif said quietly, desperately hoping to spare the life of his lifelong friend. “To do so would incite his followers.” He cleared his throat, as more parts of the thought tumbled into his mind. “Right now, he’s young, he’s foolish. He’s only 23, he’s not an elder in the ulema. To kill him would elevate his thoughts far past the station they hold…”

“True!” Nikolaios said after a moment’s pause, before a slight smile crossed his lips. “If I’d been listening to that idiot Petros I would’ve already had him hung!” The Katepanos stopped his pacing, eyes fervently looking at Sharif. “So what do I do? I can’t have him continue his sermons…”

“Damage his credibility?” Sharif offered after an awkward minute’s pause. Silently, Hinnawi cursed himself, and hoped his friend could recover from whatever machinations Nikolaios was about to unleash.

“You mean frame him?” Nikolaios raised an eyebrow, before a smile crossed his lips. “Some crime of some kind. Theft, bribery,” the Katepanos started thinking aloud, “something not too serious, so I can also show magnanimity in not incarcerating him, ‘because of his youth and contributions to society.’ Brilliant!”

As the Katepanos began thinking of ways to ruin a new young voice against the Empire, Hinnawi silently wished his son would grow up in less turbulent times. Little did he know in the future it would be son causing the turbulence…

==========*==========​

So Persia has not gone exactly to plan—in the north, areas were pacified quickly, while rebellions and uprisings have died down the southern armies of the Emperor and Theodoros. Of course, this is when the Mongols chose to strike, and opportunistic Hejaz is moving in to steal a piece of pie as well. How will all this turn out? And what was up with Fatima, and Adib? More when Rome AARisen continues!

Hmm, well, it's not entirely surprising, I had similar experiences, Persia is a large area and fighting far away from truly friendly lands is a tough job, also, I'm not liking the Ilkhanate's movements..

That opening bit sounded like a new religion being founded. Islam would accept no prophet after Mohammed. Perhaps these Aionites will be a successor religion. Islam failed as it was conquered by Romanion and the Mongols. Desperate times call for new revelation from God...

That opening bit sounded like a new religion being founded. Islam would accept no prophet after Mohammed. Perhaps these Aionites will be a successor religion. Islam failed as it was conquered by Romanion and the Mongols. Desperate times call for new revelation from God...

To me, it looks like this:

Aionism is to Islam as Christianity is to Judaism.

Oh what fun we shall all have... :D

It is an interesting contrast between the somewhat worldly father who does his job for the administraion and keeps any objection to himself and the foreshadowings of a new religion based around his son.

Ah, Egypt. No shortage of new religious movements there.

Hulagu has moved. Yes, ominous.

hmmm. Aionism does indeed sound like a successor to Islam, but given that it is developing in Hellenized Egypt, what if it is more of a hybrid between Christianity and Islam. This Isa, as spoken in Verse 6, is an understanding in Islam as Jesus. So, if the Archangel Gabriel is flanked by the Prophet Mohammad and Jesus, Son of Mary (who to Christians is the Son of God), and they are revealing to Fatima that her son is to save Mankind, then he would be a final final prophet of God, uniting Christianity and Islam under one banner...perhaps.

EDIT: And could Aionites come from the Greek Aionios?

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

Next update is about 40% done text wise, though there's a lot of work that needs to be done with the graphics and possible music (I have an idea, I just need time to play around).

Hawkeye1489 - Isa is indeed the Arabic rendering of Jesus, but also remember that Islam considers Jesus to be a major prophet, second only to Mohammed. Isa's appearance doesn't necessarily mean this Aionism is a hybrid... what it is exactly we'll reveal more and more of as the story goes...

RGB - What isn't ominous about Hulagu moving? The real life Hulagu arguably single-handedly devastated the entire Middle East...

von Sachsen - Sharif is keeping his opinions to himself because he has to. His son won't necessarily have that chain around him...

AlexanderPrimus - Aionism could be a successor to Islam... or it could be a hybrid, or it could be something that borrows from the other two but is fundamentally new and different. We'll just have to see...

The_Archduke - It is indeed a new faith--born from a forcible Christian reconquest of the bulk of the Middle East...

asd21593 - Thanks!

English Patriot - In the real game, there weren't all that many rebellions in Persia when it took it... then again, in pre-DV CK, rebellions were laughable. You lost income from that province, but there was never a real risk of losing the province. For the purposes of story and realism, I decided there should be some...

AlexanderPrimus - Aionism could be a successor to Islam... or it could be a hybrid, or it could be something that borrows from the other two but is fundamentally new and different. We'll just have to see...

The_Archduke - It is indeed a new faith--born from a forcible Christian reconquest of the bulk of the Middle East...

[
My bet is on the last option, something that borrows form both, but is otherwise very new. Islam has failed, and though Christiamity is borrowed from, it is ultimately the religion of the invader, and the new prophet seems none too happy about the occupation.

Hm, it seems that Thomas has lost none of either his military competence or his non-military... well, incompetence is a bit harsh sounding? Unfortunately military ability is, in the long term, not a trump card, since you always risk getting overconfident and when you run into someone competent enough themselves to take advantage... and Hulagu was more than just competent. I'd not be surprised if he runs rings around Thomas.

Arabia and the Horn of Africa is an interesting theater. On the one hand, Christian Axum was a maritime great power built on the Indian trade routes, which are probably much more open again now with Egypt in Christian hands. And the Ethiopian highlands are as un-invadable as any terrain in the world, I'm sure the Ethiopian Christians survived Islamic dominance in this timeline just as well as in ours. With the re-opening of trade they could have become the major Indian trade player again. On the other hand, there's the possibility of a greater-than-historical Muslim settlement in Somalia due to religious migration, and Muslim-controlled Arabia still sits astride those trade routes even if the Egyptian ports are open once more...

Last edited:
I have to admit, I love the thoughts of Sharif - that the Emperor couldn't have possibly done such a thing, simply because it was too insane. And could an insane man really hold onto the greatest empire in the world? Of course not, so he has to be sane. It's self-evident.

Thomas seems to get away with his insanity because it's just so over-the-top that it couldn't possibly be true.

So not everything went according to plan, the Empires integration of the Seljuk remnant seems to have gone much better then what could have been. If the threats from the Ilkhanate and Hejaz can be contained then Gabriel will have strengthened Romanion considerably.

Jalex - Immensely, yes. Then there comes the problem of what exactly to do to govern such massive gains?

Lordling - Chances are this is how most of Thomas' subjects greet stories of his insanity--simple disbelief. It seems logically impossible such a mad man could be in charge of things!

Irish Faq - All of this talk has me thinking of another possible interim about the Muslim diaspora down the line (way down the line, say when we reach the 1270s to 1300 timeframe?)...

thomasbannerback2copy2.jpg

“To be honest, I was never more scared in my life...except for the time insufficient mortar caused a section of the Kosmodion wall to come down. I nearly took a one ton stone to the head!” – Thomas Komnenos the Youngest, A Practical Treatise on Life and the Construction of Buildings, 1255

Battle of Rayy Theme

Same day…

“Hold still, Thomas.”

Thomas Komnenos, son of the Emperor, shuddered in his saddle and tried. Yet every time an arrow whined, every time he felt the soft breeze of death whistle past his face, he couldn’t help but flinch.

He’d grown from the small boy with large eyes to a handsome young man—A thin, angled face, and a dark shock of hair like his father. While his blue eyes might have stopped the heart of many a girl in Konstantinopolis, the Prince was far too shy, and far too interested in his drawings, to really ever try his luck. Normally the rather unremarkable third son of the most powerful man in Christendom would have been wearing the clothing of a foreman—jacket, trousers, even a bandana, but today of all days, he was forced into the heavy mail that he hated.

ThomasKomnenosyoungest.jpg

By the summer of 1236, Thomas the Youngest was barely 16 years old. Despite his young age and clear wish to not take the field, Emperor Thomas ordered his youngest son and least militarily able son to accompany his elder brother Gabriel in the northern army. Gabriel spared his brother taking an actual command, but Thomas still chafed under the deprivations in the field.

For the eighth time in as many minutes, the prince cursed his luck. He’d wanted to help supervise the construction of the new walls around the capital—they were already calling them the Walls of Thomas, and even though it was a blatant reference to his father, the young Prince quietly thought to himself that they were for him. He was the one that came up with the idea, when he was only 8, and he’d refined it again and again, pestering royal architects and builders, learning everything he could about the building trade, even mucking his own hands in mortar incognito when he got the chance. They were his pride and joy, and all through the damned marches across Persia that his father forced him into doing, all Thomas could think about were his walls, and how ironic it’d be, here on some unknown plain outside of Rayy in the north of Persia, he could die and never see them finished. All he would ever see was the one building project his brother, commander of the joint Northern Armies, had let him work on, and even it wasn’t even finished the way Thomas wanted it to be.

When word had come that the Mongol khan and 50,000 of his men were approaching Rayy from the east-northeast, Thomas’ architectural mind had leapt to work. Rayy was surrounded by a low, thick set of positively ancient walls—Thomas guessed they might have gone up under the Sassanids from the decorations and crenellation work, maybe even earlier. Both his brother and Adrianos both lamented their position—the city walls of Rayy were far too small to hold the 25,000 or so Romans and allies in the field, but the terrain outside the city was a flat, featureless plain, save the long, low rise on which the city was perched. Because of its strategic position across the main north-south road in the region, the city couldn’t be abandoned without leaving the Emperor and his detached units further south in middle Persia exposed to being taken in the flank. The Princes thus found themselves in an impossible position—they had to hold a city too small for their armies.

Thomas was still proud of the idea he had, those three weeks before. While Gabriel and Adrianos debated the merits of marching out onto the Iranian Plateau to seek the Mongols on unfavorable ground, Thomas looked at what they had around them—dirt. In that dirt, he saw their salvation, or so he thought.

He still remembered being so afraid to speak his mind as the two elder Komnenoi debated what to do next—after all, Adrianos was nearly 20 years his senior, and Gabriel was the toast of the Imperial army. Thomas? He was nothing more than the 16 year old third son, forced against his will to go on campaign, who still had daily sword lessons from his elder brother. Yet when he offered his idea of having the men dig an enormous set of trenches around the city, and using the dirt to build ramparts 10 feet high, he remembered his brother’s eyes lighting up…before Gabriel cut him off, and said no to all the ramparts, save the ones facing the northeast.

rayybattlestart.jpg

The initial deployment of the Battle of Rayy. Some 25,000 Romans, including 8,000 cavalry under Adrianos Komnenos, faced nearly 50,000 Mongols and levies, including the majority of two crack tumen under the Great Khan’s brother Hulagu…

Thomas frowned, his mind now occupied with the engineering problem, forgetting the arrows, the cries and shouts of the Mongol levies struggling up the ditch his men had dug that stretched across the front of the Roman army. What was Gabriel getting at? Familiar questions came into his mind—shouldn’t Adrianos and the cavalry be on their wings? Why were they in the city itself? After all, the Mongols were just going to go around the ditch once they realized it would be difficult to simply rush it with their masses of men. They had their feared tumen, didn’t they?

“If you don’t sit straight in the saddle, the men will notice,” Thomas heard his brother say coolly. Thomas turned with a hint of envy and a dose of awe—Gabriel, as always, looked like some god of war in his saddle and armor, back straight as the kontos in his hand, gaze steely and dark. Thomas imaged even the Megas couldn’t have looked finer on a horse, despite Gabriel persistantly wearing the Saracen rags on his head instead of a proper Roman helm. Even as the whispering death of Mongol arrows flashed by on their hushed missions, Gabriel didn’t stir, despite the hairs on his head being ruffled by death’s muted passing.

“Besides,” the commander of the Northern Armies turned and flashed a smile that revealed his twenty-one years, “if you hunch over, you could hunch your back straight into the path of an arrow.”

Thomas immediately snapped his back straight at the thought.

Down below, the Mongol levies, in a riot of colors, with arms and armor from the four corners of the globe, swarmed and pressed under a hail of arrows from their comrades behind. Unlike at Neapolis, Gabriel had told the Roman archers to have at it as much as they wanted, orders which the thematakoi and Basilikon Toxotai had responded to with gusto. Every time the Mongol levies—men pressed into service from China, Korea, Central Asia, even some Rus—tried to clamber down into Thomas’ ditch, the Roman archers began to pepper them with arrows. As they crossed the gully, they were peppered with arrows, and at point blank range, as they tried to climb up, they received arrows into their teeth. This was the ninth such charge today, and as Thomas watched it, like the others, melted and collapsed before the levies could come to blows with the Roman skoutatoi.

“They’re ordering those men to a massacre!” Thomas called out, horror apparent in his voice. Who would order their men to do such a blatantly suicidal thing? Why would someone so recklessly spend the levies of hundreds?

rayybattlebaselevyattacks.jpg

The battle began with Hulagu sending waves of levies at the Roman center, which was safely snuggled behind a 60 foot wide, 15 foot deep ditch dug over the course of the preceding few weeks…

“Hulagu thinks he’s being clever,” Gabriel replied.

“How is this clever!?” Thomas snapped. The levies were now clambering up the opposite side of the manmade gulley, and the Roman archers were easily picking off men who had their backs turned. Even more bodies tumbled into the huge ditch, adding to the pooling blood at the base. “This is… this is madness!”

“Hulagu is pinning our infantry in place,” Gabriel said calmly, as the order to cease fire rippled up and down the Roman line. The levies had cleared the edge of the gulley and were fleeing back into their comrades, who stood huddled in mute horror. Gabriel evidently saw no reason to waste the arrows—Thomas saw no reason to shoot men who had their back turned.

“Pinning us for what?” Thomas asked, confused. Thomas might not know much of military affairs, but he certainly was no fool—there had to be at least several thousand dead or wounded men lying in that ditch. If Hulagu kept ordering such pointless frontal attacks…

“Look to our flanks, Thomas, and tell me what you see,” Gabriel said in that calm voice Thomas remembered from the practice ground. Glumly, the youngest Prince of the Empire looked around. He saw nothing except a few things that looked like supply carts—he repeated that to his brother.

“Exactly… we have nothing on our flanks!” Gabriel smiled gently. “Hulagu can see that too. He wants our attention to the front while…”

“…the tumen come and hit us in the sides?” the 16 year old prince asked, horror rising in his voice once more. “Why would you leave…” he started to loudly protest, before Gabriel raised a finger to his lips and shushed him.

“Not so loud!” Gabriel hissed, “or you’ll scare the men!” The majority of the army present weren't troops of the Imperial tagmata-Basilikon Toxotai and Prasinopraforoi excepting-but tagma from the themes of Edessa, Chaldea and Antioch. While they were nearly as well equipped as their Imperial cousins, no one was sure if they had the same bravery... or staying power.

“Why is cousin Adrianos in the city, and not guarding our flanks?” Thomas hissed in a quieter voice. “What about the Mongol cavalry?!” Thomas frowned as Gabriel simply smiled serenely.

“They’ll be taken care of,” Gabriel said simply. “They’re moving already, look!”

Thomas followed his brother’s gaze to the right, then the left. He didn’t try to keep his jaw from dropping at the sight of thousands of Mongol and Turkic horse galloping freely around their flanks, that damned blue banner at their head.

rayybattlemongolcavalry.jpg

Yet the move was nothing more than a feint by Hulagu to pin the Roman infantry in position while his cavalry took the entire Roman force outside the walls in the rear. However…

“I just hope the Mongols have never heard of Dara,” Gabriel grinned.

“What?” Thomas yelled over the growing noise of the enemy cavalry. To his chagrin, his brother merely smiled, shook his head, then returned his gaze to the front again. Thomas watched with a sinking heart as another wave of Mongol levies started towards the ditch, and orders crackled up and down the Roman line for their archers to ready yet again.

“They’re coming!” Thomas screamed, panic edging into his voice no matter how much he tried to banish it. The first line of levies—Chinese, by the half-lamellar they wore—were already rushing forward, ugly crossbows in their hands. Bolts whined over the Prince’s head, and despite his brother’s advice, he ducked, his eyes looking frantically over to the left.

There was the Mongol horse, already turning towards the open Roman flanks, bows ready, lances keen. Thomas marveled how Gabriel could sit so calm, when all that was between the Mongols and rolling up the Roman army was a few small supply carts…

There was a flash, and a hiss as smoke billowed from one… then another… then another…Thomas jumped slightly as an unholy roar filled the air to his right and his left, as all the carts began to billow thick gray smoke that quickly obscured the Mongol cavalry. The smell of rotten eggs and charcoal filled his nostrils, as smoke drifted over the battlefield. The sound drowned out a momentary pause in the whistling of arrows, the clang of shields—everything, save a giggle.

Thomas turned, and amidst the murk, he saw its source—Gabriel, the new Achilles, laughing. For a moment, Thomas was sure his own brother had gone mad, before words finally made their way through his brother’s laughter.

“They did it!”

“Who did what?” Thomas shouted back, fear seeping into his voice above the rumble of the new noise. Memories of what people had told him about Neapolis came into his mind. The Prince warily had a shield up against the hwacha bolts he expected to rain from the sky at any moment.

“They worked!” Gabriel’s laughing changed to a shout of triumph. Ignoring Thomas, the Prince swung around to the trumpeter and buglers at his right. “Boys, give Adrianos his signal!”

“What’s going on?” Thomas asked, his voice clearer. As quickly as the thunderous roar had begun, it was now fading away, replaced by the screams of wounded horses on the left and the right, and confused shouts from the Mongol levies facing them. “What signal?”

“Thomas,” Gabriel turned, and with the grace of an expert horseman, walked his horse backwards towards his brother, “the Mongols aren’t the only people who have rocket bolts.” Gabriel grinned proudly from ear to ear, before they all could hear the creak and rumble of the great gates of Rayy opening behind them. A cavalcade of horsemen came out at a gallop, splitting right and left, the banners of Adrianos of Edessa at their front.

romanrocket.jpg

Hulagu had not counted on the Romans having rather superb copies of the hwa’cha only twenty years after first encountering them. While the Roman Pyrokaros could mount only 48 rockets instead of 96, the forty or so deployed on each flank of the Roman infantry were a devastating surprise for Hulagu’s cavalry, killing and maiming horses and riders alike…

Thomas looked over to where the Mongol horse should have been. Inside the murk, he could see shadowy forms—horses stumbling about without riders, some with riders but hardly moving as large, angry bolts stuck out of their flanks. As the clouds of smoke rolled and boiled, Thomas realized he’d never seen so many injured horses in his life.

In an instant, his mind put things together.

Gabriel for his part turned to face the front, his hand already reaching for his sword. “You’d best draw your blade, Thomas—since the tumen are outflanked, lame, powerless and about to be driven off, we should do something about these levies to our front.”

We?” Thomas asked, hands shaking as he drew his own sword.

Tagmata will form!” Gabriel barked, ignoring his brother, and drums and bugles began to echo across the enormous ditch. Thomas watched as the Basilikon Toxotai loosed a final arc of deadly arrows before each man slung his longbow into a pack strapped to his back. A moment later, axes gleamed in the murky sunshine as the last of the smoke from the flanks began to drift away.

Above the clash of Roman cavalry slamming the Mongol tumen in the flank, Thomas heard his brother call for the army to advance against the hapless, pressed Mongol levies. Thomas gingerly spurred his horse to a walk, even as his own sword shook like a leaf in the wind…

rayybattleend.jpg

…What Mongol horsemen weren’t panicked by the sudden onslaught of fire and bolt were in shock, dead, or wounded. The remnants were easy prey for Adrianos’ cavalry which charged out of the city into the fray. With the Mongol tumen broken, Gabriel’s infantry was easily able to put the Mongol levies to rout, clearing the field before sunset. The Romans lost 2,500 out of their number, compared to 18,000 Mongol loses, including 8,000 from their precious tumen.

==========*==========​

Thomas the Youngest gets his first taste of battle, as Gabriel smashes Hulagu’s invasion! The Roman Persia gains are safe for the time being… but the Hejazis are still a threat, and while the Mongol threat has been reduced, Persia still needs to be pacified.

Side note – in the real campaign, the Ilkhanate inexplicably made peace with me before any battle took place. A peaceful solution? That seemed rather lame, considering we're facing Hulagu. So I borrowed a bit from Ain Jalut, and added a dose of Dara, and suddenly we have the Roman triumph at Rayy! :) Now there's a reason for the Mongols backing off for a bit!

EDIT - After Fulcrumvale's post, added a bit to clarify army composition (Most aren't Imperial tagma, but thematakoi from richer themes, who have started grouping their troops into tagma in copy of the central model...

Last edited:
Epic. Does the title Thomas the Youngest mean that he will be emperor at some point? Maybe (in an ironic twist) Gabriel will be infertile and Thomas will take the throne later in life after his brother dies.

In the aftermath of Neapolis and the civil war that followed it, I thought that there might be a serious degradation in the warfighting abilities of the Byzantine military--tagmata are hard to build and easy to destroy. It's good to see that even after twenty years of administrative neglect it's recovered and back in full form.