• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm willing to bet money that something bad happens Gabriel (like dying in Africa, maybe with the emperor as well), and Antemios ends up becoming heir and eventually emperor, thus ruining the empire even more.

Sha'll we start betting who will get the throne? Gabriel, Antemios, Thomas or Zoe. Knowing how this story goes, the most scared one will get it. And there will almost certainly be fratricide.

Actually, it'd be nice to see a Zoe in the throne again.

Thomas II is clearly grooming his son Thomas to be the same as his old man. Thing is, he's too nuts to realize it won't work. Except that precisely because it WONT work, it in some ways might make him more like Thomas II than I think anybody wants. Thomas II had HUUUUEG issues with his dad not appreciating/caring about him and demanding he be just like him.Schizophrenia huge. (Mid-battle breakdown at Neapolis anyone?) So... it stands to reason that Thomas the Younger is gonna get a real nice set of issues himself. It'd actually be better if Thomas the Younger WAS in the mold of his father already, so that he could succeed in the eyes of his dad and not go nuts later because he has a bunch of daddy issues. (not that kind -.-) Oh well, here's hoping for Thomas III and MORE insanity.

Not impossible, no, though increasingly difficult with time. And eventually someone is going to connect the status of Emperor as 'Equal of the Apostles' with divine right and create a Mandate of Heaven like justification for the Komnenoi.

Well, um, ok. But it's not like the "Mandate of Heaven" ever really lasted all that long even in the original version. ;)

asd21593 said:
Also, just out of curiosity, are the homosexual traits that many of the characters throughout this AAR have had, a result of the game or just literary tools?

I don't know about Gen. BT's game, but some of the mods (such as Veld's) do include a "homosexual" trait that kills off most of the character's fertility. Cute little shield with two interlocking Mars signs.

If I remember correctly, Gen is using vanilla CK, no DV even (Gasp!) so it's probably all just for plot reasons. Not that I mind. One of them was one of my favourite characters so far. Mehtar was pretty eh though. So that means Gen has 1/2 going! Maybe Gabby will make 2/3, I hope so. Gabby certainly seems capable of becoming a favourite.

This last chapter in the story has been a great update. I already love this new gen, much better than the last two we've had. Let's hope the barrel is not spoiled by that old apple in his boat.

I support Thomas the Younger for the Imperial Throne. Apparently I missed the hint about that architect emperor that was to come in the near future, but from this one update, it's quite clear it could well be Thomas the Younger. I just hope his father won't ruin him (or Thomas the Younger ruining himself by trying to be like his father).

I also want to mention that Gabriels Theme is the one that I enjoy most already from all the ones I've eard in Rome AARisen.

A great update General_BT! It's nice to see the younger generation in action. It seems also Thomas II's children are alot more close knit compared to previous generation's. I think the only family that can be compared to having been on good terms were the siblings of Alexios Komnenus. Otherwise, the other generations were pretty much plotting and fighting against eachother.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see how all of this pans out. Maybe Gabriel becomes a father figure with Zoe becoming a mother figure to young Thomas? Quite possible although I think young Thomas does want to build a relationship up with his father.

I also did a few calculations and realised that Thomas II is now 36 years old - the same age his father was when he died! Lets hope Thomas manages to last on his expedition to North Africa.

Well I'm looking forward to the next update! Keep it rolling BT man! :D

Well, um, ok. But it's not like the "Mandate of Heaven" ever really lasted all that long even in the original version. ;)

True, true. I guess that after all this time I have a hard time picturing any other family on the throne, and therefore the imaginary Byzantines should conform to my expectations.;)

Llywelyn said:
I don't know about Gen. BT's game, but some of the mods (such as Veld's) do include a "homosexual" trait that kills off most of the character's fertility. Cute little shield with two interlocking Mars signs.

I wonder about this. Are you using a mod that adds a homosexuality trait BT or are you just adding this in for story purposes as you see fit. Because if it's game mechanics then it's popping up more frequently then I've ever seen in one of my games (though it makes sense in a hereditary way).

VILenin - Nope, this game used straight vanilla CK (some of the screenies are DV because I've since upgraded, but occasionally I still need to go back to old saves to grab pics). So no homosexuality traits, its just something I've tossed in occasionally (5 characters in 150 years almost...). As for the Komnenoi and another family's chances of taking over, I can say that chance is, realistically, close to nil, not because the Komnenoi are infallible--far from it--but simply because after each spate of rebellions, each emperor put more siblings, cousins, uncles, etc. in the place of yet another rival family. Especially after this last civil war, we now have Komnenoi reigning as princes across no less than 19 themes (IIRC), most of them the largest and most powerful. What's more likely is this branch of the Komnenoi getting defeated and/or wiped out by another branch that wants the throne for itself... and the Antioch Komnenids by this point are so distantly related to the Komnenoi on the current imperial throne they might as well be a different family almost...

..and normal, complications free emperors are boring. :p

Ksim3000 - Thomas is 36, and next time we see the Emperor, he'll be musing about that fact, no doubt. This generation does seem to get along better than most others, at least since the generation that gave birth to Basil... a sign?

Qorten - Architect emperor does not necessarily mean little Thomas. After all, it could be an evil red herring from the storyteller (I will say, I dropped several in the last update *evil laugh*)...

Avalanchemike - I'm glad everyone's liking the new gen... after the blood and guts of the civil war and the fallout from Neapolis, I wanted to fast forward a bit so we could see the new generation in action...

Llywelyn - :p Maybe in the future something that could happen is people tie the Imperial title directly to the Komnenid name, something like what happened with Caesar? *shrug* I know, but I'm not telling. ;) As for the houseboat, it seemed suitably Caesarian to do... abandon the capital you feel is treacherous and live in solitude... as for the Octagon, well, most of them didn't exactly come willingly...lol

Kirsch27 - Thomas is trying to groom all his sons like him. Part of it is the madness, yes... but there's also a logic to it. The great Komnenid Emperors have, for the most part, been unparalleled generals and warriors (even Manuel and Nikolaios took up the sword), so there's an expectation that's built up over the centuries if one is going to be a Komnenid emperor, one must know the sword... its the whole reason Thomas II is still on the throne despite being plainly mad--the army loves a Komnenid warrior at its head. Now, whether Thomas the Little can shape up to this standard, or if Gabriel will continue on as the most likely heir, we shall see... (and what of Antemios too?)

asd21593 - Gloom and doom so early? I've only introduced Gabriel... then again, that would be the evil type thing I'd do as an author... *evil laugh again*

AlexanderPrimus - Thanks!

RGB 1 - Well, he is 15... I think its a fair statement that most fifteen year olds think with their nether regions...
2 - Oh, there's more blood to come...
3 - It just seemed suitably... Tiberius-like...
4 - Nah, there's no Great Dragon that wants to talk to Gabby or Tom
5 - How have they disappointed? We've had the Megas, Manuel, Basil, Tho...oh wait. :D

Basil II - That's Katie McGrath, from the BBC series Merlin (which is where Gabriel comes from too). I'm definitely playing her differently than the type of Princess that has come before... she's certainly not going to be a damsel in distress :)

Fulcrumvale - What the Mongols have been doing is going to be one of a long slew of interims I have lined up for posting soon...

Deamon - Who is that? It really is fitting...

4th Dimension - The most scared happened with both Thomas'... before that the most skilled got the throne (Basil) then the most conniving (Manuel & Nikolaios), and before that, it was taken by force (Demetrios)...

Nikolai - Great! That was the goal of the update! And c'mon, not everyone is gay! Not even some people you think are... ;)

I can't say this new generation inspires much more confidence than the last one did, but I would certainly welcome a new Nicholas if it came down to it.

It seems New Rome needs statesmen far more than it needs generals, and with Thomas II proving even more inept than his father, I'd say that need is growing every day. Unfortunately, Gabriel hardly seems that sort of man. He's certainly got the advantage of not being mean-spirited like Basil's successors were, but, so far as I can tell, he lacks Demetrios's innocence or Nicholas or Manuel's brilliance. Maybe his sense of responsibilty toward his younger brother will translate into the same sense of social responsibility that made Nic and Manuel great, but only time will tell.

Last edited:
Well, he is 15... I think its a fair statement that most fifteen year olds think with their nether regions...

Yes, but nobles are invariably trouble. I bet you the palace is teeming with stable boys and scullery maids, by comparison, and nobody cares about them at all.

What the Mongols have been doing is going to be one of a long slew of interims I have lined up for posting soon...

Go Mongols!

Prince Arthas turned Lich King in the game: Warcraft III: Frozen Throne.

He'd have to kill his father first, wouldn't he?

He'd have to kill his father first, wouldn't he?

Well he already was turned to the "Darkside" when he went to Nothrenlands for Frostmourne. And completely when he freed the sword from the ice.

But this is going a bit off-topic.

Last edited:
Well he already was turned to the "Darkside" when he went to Nothrenlands for Frostmourne. And completely when he freed the sword from the ice.

But this is going a bit off-topic.

I meant Gabriel or Thomas or someone, actually.

But yes, they'd also need to find a magic blade first before killing their father.

:D