• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, BT! :D
I enjoyed that immensely. And so soon after the last update as well!
You're really spoiling all of your fans. I can't wait to read the conclusion of this battle. It's just so excellent.

That really was spectacularly terrific.

Another cliffhanger!

Don't have much to say really, great and epic as always.

If Thomas survives about this one he certainly needs to recruit Mon Calamari advisor to tell him when:

itsatrap.jpg

Oh no. He's gone completely nuts!

Deciding to launch his great charge, AFTER sending a good deal of his cavalry to reinforce the right flank... and Temujin is slamming no less than FOUR tumen down on his flanks, not even counting his own personal unit to receive the charge!

Unless Thomas is going to pull something spectacular, I fear he and his brave men are going to be swallowed whole by the Horde.

He can't be totally insane. What does he have up his sleeve?

Regardless of who wins the actual battle, Romanion just lost. Incurably insane Emperors with underage children and unpopular, occasionally foreign advisors don't tend to end well--especially when they command empires of sufficient size to assure that entropy will start to tear things apart as soon as a weak hand grasps the tiller of state. Even if Thomas somehow pulls a Roman victory out of the jaws of defeat, his advisors will have to pull the army back when the degree of his insanity becomes apparent, and the Mongols (unless their casualties are prohibitive) will be free to take the high road to the Hungarian Plain.

:(

Regardless of who wins the actual battle, Romanion just lost. Incurably insane Emperors with underage children and unpopular, occasionally foreign advisors don't tend to end well--especially when they command empires of sufficient size to assure that entropy will start to tear things apart as soon as a weak hand grasps the tiller of state. Even if Thomas somehow pulls a Roman victory out of the jaws of defeat, his advisors will have to pull the army back when the degree of his insanity becomes apparent, and the Mongols (unless their casualties are prohibitive) will be free to take the high road to the Hungarian Plain.

:(

You :( like that's a bad thing :confused:

This Rome dealing with its own demons + Spanish Rome + Greater, Bureaucratized Mongolia + Angevin Franglia + terrified-into-line HRE = Awesome EU2/3 set-up

This Rome dealing with its own demons + Spanish Rome + Greater, Bureaucratized Mongolia + Angevin Franglia + terrified-into-line HRE = Awesome EU2/3 set-up

You hit it right on the nose, man. :D

Well, that was another awesome cliffhanger....
And it's interesting to see that the personalities in Thomas' head are in flux, and that the stress of this battle was very much greater than the ones before. It would have, after all the fate of more than two empires hang in the balance here, and apparantly the game thought so too........ ;)

And why the heck do the flanks of Romaion just wait and sit?
Advance on the flanks!
Encircle the Mongols that are trying to flank the cavalry!

Btw, no one orders a cavalry charge into the middle of the enemy lines.
Never does anyone do that.
The Emperor is dead.:cool:

Angevin Franglia

But the United Kingdom of France and England fell apart soon after the Spider King Drogo II died, since his son was an incompetent?

Does Thomas mean to leap down the enemy's throat, so as to most quickly get to his heart and rip it out? Killing Temujin here and now may well do the trick, even at the cost of his own life. Perhaps it will be two Emperors who die this day?

Last edited:
Hurray! More awesomeness!

I really hope Thomas survives his charge. We need him in Constantinople wreaking crazy hubristic havoc. Ordering random executions and attacks on Neptune while the Mongols sweep over the frontiers. And I have a feeling Dadiani will prove to be more of an accelerant than a dampener for his insanity.

More crazy Thomas! You can't call someone Caligula II just because they went publicly crazy *once*!

Whoo hoo mongol sons of bitches here we come!!! Die mongol scum die!! Aaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha Muahahahahahaha!!!

Fitting last words of the insane emperor :D

A frontal charge can end in disaster, however only if it is stopped and enveloped. If the charge breaks through the main Mongol line and then through them, it decides the battle, as the two flanks of the Mongols will then be out of touch and must rout from the field of battle at tremendous cost.

Anyways EU3 is still almost 200 game years away so don't expect the ramifications of this battle to last all the way to the 1399 conversion.

If Thomas really dies, then I think it would be time for the story to "zoom out" and fast forward over 10-20 years. Zoom back in on when the next generation is ready to take over, and let the greyed and aged survivors of Thomas' II generation tell the story of that happened after Neapolis. (Makes for a good break in the story line, taking out the heat and allowing another story arc to start. Giving the readers a slightly new world with which they need to familiarize themselves before a new story arc takes off. :) Oh and I want to hear about the Hispanian Greeks!!!)

Last edited:
Pfff, you've got me sitting on the edge of my seat here General_BT. I hope Thomas pulls this off somehow, but I fear for it.

i shed a single manly tear when i read that Alexios died.
even though he had no more than 15 lines of text he was an awesome character

That was a bad time to go insane. A really bad time.

You :( like that's a bad thing :confused:

You're probably right there; a power of Romanion's size and strength is bound to collapse under its own weight eventually. Indeed, Rome has probably become too powerful for its own good (Imperial overstretch and all that...). But I can still mourn for lost glory.

Edit:
If Thomas really dies, then I think it would be time for the story to "zoom out" and fast forward over 10-20 years. Zoom back in on when the next generation is ready to take over, and let the greyed and aged survivors of Thomas' II generation tell the story of that happened after Neapolis. (Makes for a good break in the story line, taking out the heat and allowing another story arc to start. Giving the readers a slightly new world with which they need to familiarize themselves before a new story arc takes off.
I really like this idea, actually. Assuming that the Romans lose, at any rate.

Last edited:
Am I the only one thinking Thomas went insane at the right time? I do not think the Romans would have won a battle of attrition - in spite of their numbers, the Mongols would have eventually found a weak spot to strike at. Sometimes reklensness is what is required to tip the balance in your favour, and also it is the stuff legends are made of. After all, only the plain seem to be normal.

Wonderful. Thomas is insane, and Subotai's plan was fulfilled completely. Insane Man vs. Military Genius with pre-formulated plan coming rapidly to fruition =/= Insane Man Victory. But maybe it does. Who knows. Seeing the insanity of the Roman Charge, couldn't Mehtar or Albrecht somehow get the flanks to charge? I don't know how, but I guess Albrecht is 2nd in command, essentially, and he would certainly listen to Mehtar, if only because there's nobody else with any sense around. The only thing is, the Roman Heavy Horse are very heavily armored, so if the Mongols want to shoot arrows at them the whole time, it at least would give flanks time to respond somehow. Probably won't save them, but it might do good for the flanks.

Am I the only one thinking Thomas went insane at the right time?
For narrative purposes, absolutely not.

For strategic or tactical purposes, you're on your own there, bub. ;)

Wonderful. Thomas is insane, and Subotai's plan was fulfilled completely. Insane Man vs. Military Genius with pre-formulated plan coming rapidly to fruition =/= Insane Man Victory. But maybe it does. Who knows. Seeing the insanity of the Roman Charge, couldn't Mehtar or Albrecht somehow get the flanks to charge? I don't know how, but I guess Albrecht is 2nd in command, essentially, and he would certainly listen to Mehtar, if only because there's nobody else with any sense around. The only thing is, the Roman Heavy Horse are very heavily armored, so if the Mongols want to shoot arrows at them the whole time, it at least would give flanks time to respond somehow. Probably won't save them, but it might do good for the flanks.

Actually, now would be a perfect time for ambitious men to hold back the flanks and let the emperor die in a senseless charge :D

Make a deal with the weakened Mongols, return to Constantinople, drown Thomas II' little children in their bath tubs, force the Empress to marry you instead and you are WIN.