• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have to comment on Romanion's astonishing good fortune in terms of its talented military and civil bureaucracy--the sheer skill of its generals and civil servants over the course of the last few hundred years has been almost mind-bending (and its monarchs--with a few notable exceptions--have been just as good). So long as this remains the case, the Empire's prognosis should remain good, creeping feudalization notwithstanding.

The clash of the titans approaches swiftly. It is not the thunder of drums that shakes the earth, nor the hoofbeats of a hundred thousand horses, but the footsteps of Thomas Komnenos and Genghis Khan as they close upon one another...

:DCurrently I'm up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin for my brother's wedding. Consequently, I'm away from my computer, and I won't be back until late tomorrow night (28 hours or so). Update might be up Monday night... if not, it'll be up later, perhaps Wednesday...

KlavoHunter - That was actually very poetic... almost as if those lines were lyrics of a song written after the event...

Fulcrumvale - A big part of it was that I gave in to the temptation that faces every CK player to engage in breeding programs, for lack of a better term. Since the Imperial family has a tendency to produce tons of children, it means I usually have lots of daughters, sons and daughters of lesser sons, etc. all laying about in court to marry off to enterprising, highly rated people in court. This is where the Lainezes, Byzantions, Kaukadenids and Thrakesids as well as numerous other people, came from....

TheHyphenated1 - Great! How far have you gotten, and what are your impressions on events to that point?

Servius Magnus - That would, without question, be the triumph to end all triumphs. That said, I think Thomas is going to find Genghis much harder to defeated than Adhid or Faramarz...

TC Pilot - Traitor! :D The Bataczes were one of the families that eventually got into the "breeding program," and become prominent a little later in the story... there was a Issakios Bataczes that becomes a very important commander later on... :)

Hannibal-X - If Thomas can make Genghis lament, that would require a definite turning of the tables. That said, I doubt the Mongols brought much "booty" (living or otherwise) with them...

Exadus - Traitor! :D The Empire's chances are about as high as they can be... but even that is 50/50 at absolute best...

Lordling - In CK, I'd imagien Genghis has a martial rating as high as Basil's, and Subotai's as high if not higher...

Kirsch27 - We'll shortly get a chance to see how Mehtar feels about all of this... one key difference to note however. While Manuel handed power over to someone with high intrigue (and thus a spymaster), Mehtar has handed the reigns to someone with a different skillset--Albrecht won't be a super sleuth spymaster, but he could be a diplomat extraordinaire...

Irenicus - I might at some point do a dream sequence where Basil is facing Genghis... let's say history would be vastly different from what is about to happen!

Between when he reached 16 and facing Genghis, Thomas gained 3 martial points--he's now on paper the equal of the Megas (three events will do that) However, it's a safe bet that at some point, Thomas' plans call for what has settled affairs for the Komnenids in the past--a heavy cavalry charge. What remains to be seen if he can time it properly so the Mongols won't be able to do what they do best... swallow such charges whole...

Ferdows isn't nearly as skilled as Faramarz, the other tradeoff though is the backbone of the Mongols forces are now to the north, and the pressure on the Turks has, for the moment, considerably lessened.

Leviathan07 - It's a safe bet that if Thomas' plan involves taking the front and simply charging... he won't live long enough to watch his empire crumble. Let's hope his plan is more complex. :)

humancalculator - Hello! Welcome to the AAR!

RGB - :rofl: I was hoping Albrecht would come off rather snide... he is a Byzantine diplomat, after all! Hmm.. no idea that Dioscuras was the name for Sochi... oh well...

asd21593 - I'll hurry to get it done, and make it as l33t aw3s0m3 as possible!

Plushie - It's definitely going to be almost more of a chessmatch than a battle--two experts who have studied each other and their ideal tactical moves. The true difference between the two are that Genghis has far more experience... which would prove invaluable...

Deamon - Why the Mongols, out of curiousity?

Clydwich - A flood is bound to result from such a meeting of waters...

AlexanderPrimus - I'm still working on the music for the next update, it needs to be massive, epic, over the top... I need ideas! :) (i'll hop on IM when I get home tomorrow)

Qorten - If Romanion is defeated, alot will also depend on how the defeat happens. If the Roman field army is beaten slightly, Romanion can easily throw more men into the field in the short term. If the army is crushed, but Thomas lives, the Mongols will run amok in the short term, but there are still huge armies available. If Thomas dies, there is no clear successor. Genghis coming from the north with political chaos at home is a recipe for the death of the Empire...

Enewald -Attrition is a huge problem, as well as the loyalty of the dynatoi... those are the big reasons in game I wouldn't raise the enormous host that is the entire empire... that and the province stealing tendencies of commanders. :)

Nikolai - Part of the confusion is because the line was initially typed wrong--it was supposed to be "You are going to die, you fool." Makes more sense now?

Deamon - Why the Mongols, out of curiousity?

Three reasons

1) Most of the time I picked the mongols in Age of Empires II and developed some kind of love for those guys.

2) The other reason would be it's more interesting story-wise (in my opinion that is) Thomas II isn't the most stable of characters and seeing him lose big time and surviving would certainly be interesting also how other characters/countries would react on this signal of decline of the Roman Empire would be interesting.

3) Also your empire (I may be wrong here) never really has been defeated. The sultans could never force a breakthrough, The French , the Italians etc didn't succeed. only Alexios really succeeded in defeating a big roman force and defeating a sitting Komnenid emperor but he was a Komnenid and roman so it doesn't really count (in my eyes). The same goes for Nikolaios, he also was beaten but again it was a Komnenid.

And that's why i'm rooting for the Mongols! :)

I'm just to Basil's death. Splended writing. You seem to have set up many chaotic days ahead under Thomas.

I have to comment on Romanion's astonishing good fortune in terms of its talented military and civil bureaucracy--the sheer skill of its generals and civil servants over the course of the last few hundred years has been almost mind-bending (and its monarchs--with a few notable exceptions--have been just as good).

To be fair, that's a narrative licence that's somewhat counterbalanced by the licence taken to bring Genghis Khan all the way out to fight Byzantium on their front doorstep. :p The strategic objective of the Mongols in Europe was the Hungarian grass fields; pastures where their nomadic lifestyle would have been well-suited. And while defeating the Byzantines to obtain concessions would secure their southern flank along the Danube, to expect much more would perhaps be overestimating the logistical acumen of even the Mongols. Genghis was a very sage strategist above all else, and probably knew when he was overstretched. Heck, he tried to avoid war with Khwarezm, and that was a smaller, weaker empire much closer to his borders than this Romanion...

So my prediction here is that the Mongols will try to give Romanion a bloody nose in exchange for their non-interference in further European conquests.

I just finished reading through all 132 pages of this... Epic! And just in time... I'm on the edge of my seat for the next battle

thomasiibannercopy.jpg

1215 Theme Music

“To tell the story of Neapolis requires patience—it is not a tale for the faint of heart, nor the easily distracted. Often great men rise and fall through the grace of God or their own twisted will… but Neapolis? Fate’s subtle tricks held more sway during those four days than the most fervent prayer or the stoutest swordarm.” – Albrecht von Franken, On the Danes

From Robert Eddington’s Days of Decision: Great Battles and Their Impact on History, pg. 145

The spring campaign season of 1215 exploded into a vast array of movements, as six armies and two emperors tangled on a front stretching from the grasslands of the steppe to the Caucasus Mountains. No less than 340,000 soldiers started to move between the months of April and May—arguably the vastest armed expedition in history up to that point.

The initial goal of the Great Khan’s entire invasion was almost within reach—The Russian steppe was already half Mongol. All that stood in the way of the Khan and pasturing the Horde’s horses on the grasses between the Volga and the Dneister were the forces of Sortmark, the Roman Empire, and the remnants of the Rus Kingdom. Beyond this, Genghis had a mighty dream—to seize the rumored fertile plains beyond those of Russia, and lunge deep into a new continent…

Europe.

But in order to do this, the greatest threat to Mongol power and hegemony on the Russian steppes needed to be dealt with. While the Roman Empire had historically been disinclined to project their power into the vast empty places of the grasslands, their rich cities and valuable trade routes proved irresistible lures, while their powerful armies stood as grim threats to Mongol power. For the dream of the Khan to become a reality, the Roman Empire had to be broken.

So that spring the Mongols launched themselves into a flurry of activity. Batu’s northern host, some 30,000 or so altogether, immediately crossed the Volga and lunged into the land of the Danes. Several jarls, charged with guarding the homelands, attempted to make a stand outside of Christina but were utterly decimated. The Roman-Allied army under Sinan of Byzantion attempted to rush to the scene, but on seeing that his men were outnumbered, Sinan pulled back, leading to a deadly dance of maneuver between his army and that of Batu’s, the Romans feinting and retreating, the Mongols constantly hard on their heels.

To the south, Jochi faced the seemingly impossible task of both controlling the Roman army in the Caucasus, as well as taking the Roman port of Sochi to provide the distraction his father needed. To only further add insult to injury, the eldest son of the Great Khan was expected to engage perhaps the most gifted of the Roman strategoi, Mahmud of Byzantion. Initially, the Mongols launched a series of probing forays south, hoping to stir the Megos Domestikos into giving away his position, yet for two months, nothing moved within the mountains. Wary, Jochi decided to split his army in two—one half would ride to Sochi to begin the siege, the other would block the Caucasus passes.

It was then, finally, that Mahmud Byzantion moved, after these seeming months of torpor, quickly striking northwards with his host of 25,000 infantry and 10,000 cavalry. Jochi’s troops guarding the passes were outflanked, and the Mongols were forced to pull out the tumen aiding the siege of Sochi to backtrack and meet Mahmud in battle. Yet as they approached the Roman armies, almost inexplicably, they began to retreat. Jochi gave chase, following the Romans until they retreated into the mountains. Sensing a trap, Jochi’s army pulled up short, beginning a four month game of cat and mouse amongst the Caucasus passes between the two forces.

In the center, the Great Khan detached three tumen from his main army, attempting to lure the Roman Emperor away from the Black Sea and deeper into the steppe grasslands—yet Emperor Thomas refused to rise to the bait, instead holding his position outside of Tmutarakan. For months, the Great Khan tried every ruse he could to get the Romans to leave their prepared defenses, to no avail. It would take something else, further to the east, to finally break the stalemate in the middle.

Sochi fell on the 21st of July.

Immediately the Chinese and Korean soldiers went to work, dismembering the town’s wooden churches and homes to build a series of thirty rush-built warships, intent on providing the distraction the Great Khan felt was needed. Almost immediately, the Romans dispatched a squadron of galleys to watch the harbor.

However, even with the ships hurriedly completed and crewed, the impromptu Mongol navy was hardly effective—few of the Korea and Chinese laborers had been sailors in their homelands, and the Mongols had little idea of naval tactics or strategy. Consequently, the only time these thirty ships (coincidentally, the only ships remotely resembling junks to ever sail on the Black Sea) attempted to break out from Sochi, a small detachment of seven biremes under one drouganios Ioannis Spartenos easy overcame them, holing and sinking four, while capturing another three before the rest of the fleet scrambled back into harbor.

shaggyback-sungship.jpg
250px-Byzantine_dromon_reconstructi.png

The Jin and Song engineers that accompanied the expedition of the Great Khan would have had basic knowledge of shipbuilding along the traditions available in the Far East—with innovative propulsion and massive towers to allow missile troops maximum effect. However, these war junks were crewed by novices, not skilled sailors, and their strength and power were easily outmatched by the speed and naptha of Roman biremes.

With Sochi fallen, the Roman Emperor finally left the massive prepared camps around Tmutarakan, but the immense Roman host was content following the coast towards Sochi, camping at natural harbors, keeping in contact with their greatest advantage over their adversaries—the strategic supply and mobility of a large and well equipped fleet. The Great Khan quickly moved south as well, interposing himself between Thomas and the fallen Roman city. While the Roman emperor was content to send scouts and skirmishers to harass the Mongol camps, Thomas skillfully disengaged whenever the equally lumbering (thanks to the thousands of levied Chinese and Korean infantry) Mongol forces attempted to force an engagement.

Not once, but four times the Roman emperor and a tagmata or two of the Imperial guard tangled or brushed one of Genghis’ tumen. While these small battles missed most history books, they nonetheless had their importance—they convinced the Great Khan that at all costs, the Roman Emperor had to be defeated in the field for any other objectives to be completed. However as this slow waltz of steel meandered along the Pontic coast, events elsewhere brought things to head.

Further to the north, Sinan of Byzantion and Batu’s deadly dance had continued. Here, the Roman and Rus allied force was outnumbered, 25,000 to 30,000, and even more greatly in horse—an advantage that Batu consistently used to his advantage. In a series of daring and spectacular forced marches, the Mongol Noyan outfoxed Sinan, pinning the Roman against the one feature his army could not allow to fall.

Havigraes, capital of the Danes of Sortmark. On 19th of August battle was joined, and the overextended Roman-Rus army was ambushed and flanked by Batu’s more numerous horsemen. Not only was the Allied force defeated, but Havigraes itself was sacked. Defeated and facing annihilation, Sinan retreated the only direction he could—towards his Emperor, along the Black Sea coast.

havigraes.jpg

The burning of Havigraes would become a seminal moment in the history of the Danish people on the steppe, living on in lore and memory for generations to come.

Hearing of his commander’s desperation, Thomas decided on a risky gamble. On the night of September 8th, he dispatched five tagmata of the Imperial Guard northwards, over 20,000 men, under the command of the Prostratos, with orders to reinforce Sinan and, if practical, break Batu’s army. Lainez showed himself once again to be a deadly commander, successfully crossing the steppe while bamboozling most of the Mongol scouts. As Batu and Genghis planned their next moves, they only had word that a single tagmata was moving north—not five.

Sinan of Byzantion showed his worth as well. At the Battle of the Volga, on September 30th, 1215, he successfully demonstrated with his tired and beleaguered force long enough for Lainez to arrive on the Mongol flank. Facing such a weakend foe, Batu had dispatched half of his brother Chagatai’s tumen to deal with the expected 3,500 Romans. When the Noyan in command of those units did not report back, Batu dispatched his brother, along with the rest of the tumen to investigate, only moments before 18,000 Romans came thundering over a ridge and into the Mongol flank.

The Volga was the first sharp, direct defeat the Mongols had suffered in the Russian theater. Out of nearly 28,000 engaged, Batu lost nearly 10,000 troops, including the backbone of Chagatai’s tumen and Chagatai himself, who became a Roman prisoner. In comparison, the Roman losses of 5,000 out of nearly 37,000 engaged seemed paltry.

lainezraisingsword.png

Lainez raising his arm in salute to Sinan of Byzantion after the Battle of the Volga. This print is from a much later era—its Aionite illustrator portrayed the Romans in garb much more suited for campaigning in the deserts of Arabia, not the steppe of southern Russia.

The results of this debacle were immediate. Batu pulled his surviving 18,000 men south, leaving Lainez and Sinan free to maneuver in Genghis Khan’s rear. However, the Great Khan was slowly probing south, and the Emperor was concerned that at any moment, the Mongol ruler might finally realize the Roman army before him was missing nearly 40% of its crack core Consequently, on the advice of Mehtar Lainez (who advised the Mongols were unlikely to have a supply train to raid anyways), Thomas ordered both Sinan and Lainez back south. By November 8th, both had joined the Imperial Army of the North, swelling its numbers back up to nearly 110,000 men.

In Sochi, Genghis Khan could do little more than gnash his teeth, and absorb the remnants of Batu’s force. Chagatai’s tumen was disbanded, its remnants absorbed into Batu’s. As long as Thomas moved along the coast, Genghis found his position almost unassailable, while the Emperor dared not move too far from his naval lifelife—due to the continual harping of Mehtar Lainez, every Roman commander was well aware of the fate of the Rus outside Novgorod.

Yet at the same time, the Great Khan was dealing with rumblings within his own ranks. The tumen were far from home, they had been on campaign for the better part of a decade. Added to that, the stories of the Volga made the Mongol tribesmen, antsy. Yet, as September had already come and gone, the Great Khan had little choice. With the defeat of his northern of his flanking army, and the neutralization of the other in a protracted mountain campaign, Genghis Khan reluctantly ordered his tumen north into the Russian steppes for winter forage.

Both sides absorbed what they had learned through that long campaign season—the Romans realized that the Mongols were indeed vulnerable, a force that could be dealt with. The Mongols realized that the Romans were far more disciplined and ingenious than they had heard or planned for. Lessons learned, both sides immediately began applying their knowledge to the new, coming campaign.

By March of 1216, both armies were in the field again—Thomas’ swollen force now approaching 120,000 men, reinforcements from Cherson and further south engorging his numbers. However, these 15,000 thematakoi were not exactly welcome—the Princes had lead them without imperial order, and the Emperor now had 15,000 more mouths to feed, troops he wouldn’t put in his front line anyway.

The Mongol armies swelled slightly as well. Batu’s remainder joining with his father enlarged the Mongol army to seven tumen plus auxiliaries, a grand force nearing 98,000 men. It was now apparent that pecking on the Emperor’s flanks would not yield any result, so Genghis Khan resolved to end things like he’d ended things with the Jin, the Khwarezm Shah, and countless other foes.

One battle.

One final decision.

The Mongols broke their great camp on the Volga on March 29th, 1216, and immediately set out south. Back to the sea or no, near the mountains or no, Genghis was determined to break this Roman Emperor, his army, and his empire, once and for all. Seemingly answering history’s call, Emperor Thomas slid his army north, across the hills bordering the Pontic coast, edging ever so slightly into the lower flatlands to the south of the Kuban River. Finally, on May 18th, 1216, outside the tiny Greek colony of Neapolis, Theme of Imeretia, the fate of the known world would be decided, on a battlefield so wide, so chaotic, that no one could fully control or predict what was about to occur...

neapolis-startcopy.jpg

The great battlefield outside Neapolis, May 18th, 1216.

Greens indicate Mongol and foreign (Chinese and Korean) contingent forces. Yellow/Brown indicates troops from the Kingdom of the Rus, Reds indicate troops from Sortmark, Blues represent various imperial and thematakoi troops, while purples represent the Imperial Guard cavalry contingents.

In terms of scale, the encounter was enormous for both empires. While the Mongols had fought Jin and Song armies approaching this size, the Romans had never mustered a single field army on one battlefield this large since Yarmuk, centuries before. Emperor Thomas arrayed his armies along a low ridge along a 13 mile front, placing his thematakoi on the left where rough terrain would shield their position from Mongol charges, his dependable tagmata skoutatoi and sarissaphoi in the middle, and the Rus and Danes on the left behind the Ghusmal Stream. Interestingly, the Emperor arrayed his cavalry last, placing his best heavy cavalry regiments into four massive wedges…

==========*==========

And so you have it! The great clash is upon us…

...and everyone knows what happened in Yarmuk... :cool:
Are you trying to defend behind that river?

Who shall win on the flanks, shall emerge victorious.

In Cannae the Romans were outflanked, in Yarmuk the Romans were outflanked. And now in Neapolis, what changes would they have against a foe greater and superior than ever before?

Well, at least the local fields shall be fertile for centuries to come, thanks for the blood of these warriors.

1. Junks on the black sea - cool

2. Ah, ahistorical illustrations are a grand historical tradition.

3. Well, I'm looking forward to that big battle. Yarmouk, however, sounds ominous.

Stopping right before the battle is joined, you magnificent bastard!

Anyway, things turned out decently for the Romans in this update. Doesn't bode well for the outcome of this battle.

If only the Mongoloid spies knew enough to take advantage of the Byzantine's weaknesses: crossword puzzles, obscure heresies, seating charts, strong women ...

They could get Borta to spank Mehtar or walk across his back in heels - he puts the Danes marginally closer to the throne than the Pontikoi during the pre-battle feast, draws a mustache on the Russians' icon of the Virgin, and bribes one of the standard bearers to give Thomas an insoluble riddle just before the battle begins ... In the evening, he has the Arabian preachers explain in their pre-battle sermons that God sent 124k prophets and the Byzantines are keeping some secret just to keep the tawny man down. And what is up with all those white white portraits of the Savior. I mean c'mon. They know better than that.

Chaos. The Mongols wouldn't even have to attack. The Byzantine army would turn autophagous and collapse in on itself like a singularity.

Barring that, maybe they can bribe the Danes by promising them pastureland on the charred remains of Russia?

A battle on this scale will almost certainly see both sides' command and control mechanisms disintegrate as soon as the battle starts--there's no way that anyone can be in direct control of action taking place 7+ miles away from their location. The battle will probably be decided by the actions of "corps" and "division" (to use anachronistic Napoleonic terminology) commanders on each side. Really, the only troops Thomas will have under his direct control will be the tagmata concentrated in the center--especially the cavalry tagma. In short, this is going to be fog-of-war-tastic.

They could get Borta to spank Mehtar or walk across his back in heels - he puts the Danes marginally closer to the throne than the Pontikoi during the pre-battle feast, draws a mustache on the Russians' icon of the Virgin, and bribes one of the standard bearers to give Thomas an insoluble riddle just before the battle begins ... In the evening, he has the Arabian preachers explain in their pre-battle sermons that God sent 124k prophets and the Byzantines are keeping some secret just to keep the tawny man down. And what is up with all those white white portraits of the Savior. I mean c'mon. They know better than that.

You're too savvy to be allowed to live, you do know that? But you may be wrong about Mehtar, I think :D

Last edited:
Sort of a truly crushing victory, the Mongols are done for. They have a 1.5:1 numerical disadvantage, they have no qualitative advantage compared to the core of the Roman army, they have no great leadership advantage, their strategy (attack Roman cities for plunder) does not give them any strategic space to maneuver (with the clear superiority of the Byzantine navy), they have no other reserves. Even if the battle goes ill for the Romans, Thomas would withdraw the professional core of the army (which is pretty damn big), draw more forces from the empire and keep the Mongols trying to defeat him for years upon years losing soldiers they can't replace. In fact, I would venture to say if the Mongols lose more than 10% of their total tumen strength (i.e. their Mongol professional troops) in this battle, they would be defeated even if the Romans lose 25 or even 30% of their army.

Thomas is already the victor in the long term, if he is just a little cautious and withdraws the professionals and every one else he can save, if he is sure the battle is not going to be won. Genghiz committed his forces to a battle in which he has to completely annihilate his enemy if he wants to continue the war. It is not going to happen and he has already lost.

Edit. Nice to see the have the Roman army using some proper flank guards. The left is a bit unsecured but the ground is near the river, muddy and perhaps a bit broken, so it should afford some protection. Thomas should focus a bit there, using some of the Imperial troops to reinforce it, should things go awry. By the way, those Danish Huscarls better stand their ground and die to a single man. They are the sole link between the center and the left. If they break and the whole is not plugged, Genghiz might try to emulate Alexander. ;)

Last edited: