• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, Nik's turning gay now? That could prove interesting in the future, if anyone found out...

Nikolai said:
So, Nik's turning gay now? That could prove interesting in the future, if anyone found out...
Hanjal will no doubt blame it on Demetrios.

Frankly, it doesn’t change much. He still has heirs (I think) in the form of his cousins, and the patriarchs who do find out will meet untimely ends.

And now time for a few comments:

RGB - I think in many ways it is kind of a parallel to your AAR. Its a little too early to call the Komnenids 'strong' in the dynastic sense, but they're faring better than they were historically at this point... and yes, Demetrios has a god complex regarding his military ability - since he was a young man he's been touted as an Alexander, and despite being only in his late thirties, he's already had 'Megos' attached to his name, so of course he's developed a little bit of an ego. It just remains to be seen if that ego will burn him in the end.

Fulcrumvale - LOL @ the comment about Hajnal. That... is... classic. :rofl: There are indeed other Komnenid heirs, even if Demetrios doesn't adopt any bastards - Uncle Isaakios has grandchildren, and even the dead Manuel had children as well.

Nikolai - If it goes public, it is a safe bet, even if Nikolaios was Basilieus and had the Patriarch and bishops of the Orthodox Church on a golden chain, that there would be severe reprecussions... let alone if Nikolaios' father, or heaven forbid Hajnal find out this secret...

English Patriot - Yeah, Nikolaios has shown himself to be someone at least capable of surviving on campaign, which has impresesed Demetrios. Yet again, however, the problems of having a certain Prince Edmund as well as scheming, whining Normans are causing problems for the Romanoi.

VILenin - Nikolaios definitely has the makings of a great stateman - if he can navigate the choppy waters of Roman politics, and what he is realizing about himself isn't exactly helping his sails. We'll have to see how he does. :)

Lord Valentine - Malik is definitely a clever and cunning foe, something Demetrios had yet to truly face on the battlefield. The Sultan has turned Demetrios into his own worst enemy, the mark of a brilliant commander if I've ever seen one.

As for all the readers who haven't commented yet - let me know what you think! Possible plots, ideas for storylines, whatever... I'm interested in hearing what you think of the tale, what's good, what's bad! :)

Last edited:
Welp , this chapter , I think , has definitely re-lit the already roaring fires of your AAR , BT . I think the intrigue and potentiality here will make things very interesting in the future and I'm looking forward to it . The finesse by which you weaved the emotional confusion and tension really shows to your abilities and is definitely one of the reasons why you're a Fellow of the Society . Well done !

Whats the situation in the rest of europe?

What does the official king of italy think of you taking lands there? Chance for a christian on christian war?

Surely its about time the emperor has his heart stolen by some other beauty?

Keep the twists and turns coming, its like a blog written by bernard cornwell

A monstrous update tonight - I needed to clear my mind before the exam tomorrow and this was the best way I could find. :)

Carach and Lordt777 - Welcome to the thread, and I'm glad you enjoy it! You won't have to wait long for the next update... its right below.

Scotticus - The situation in the rest of Europe is about to come to head, despite the drama in this update. So don't worry, you'll find out soon - as for Demetrios' love life, we'll see. :)

canonized - Thanks again for the support and kind words! I hope you enjoy this plot arc as it unfolds.

========================== =============================
demetriosbannercopy.jpg

kilbanophroi.jpg

A member of the Emperor's personal guard, the Hetaratoi

From Rise of a Titan: Demetrios Komnenos and the Revitalization of the Romanoi Army - by Marcus Wood, University of London, 1977 (translated 1982, Andronikos University, Athenai):

The Demetrian Army, as this interim form was dubbed by my colleague Mark Lincoln, was characterized by an overabundance of heavy formations. The Roman cavalry was characterized by expensive, hard to maintain clibanii and kataphraktoi formations, while the infantry was dominated by heavily armed and armored skoutatoi. In situations where the opponent wished for a collision of arms - such as Demetrios' campaign against the Fatimids in Palestine, or al-Talil's ill-fated attack on the Roman army at Mt. Tabor, this heavy Roman force could crush its opponents.

However, the Syrian Campaign of 1103-1105 proves the opposite - against a mobile foe in the Turkish Sultan, the Demetrian army proved too slow. Time and again Sultan Malik was able to outmanuever and outflank the plodding Roman columns, frustrating the Emperor and his designs. If the two armies had ever formally collided, the Romans would have undoubtedly been victorious, but the Sultan knew he did not need a battlefield victory, he merely needed to stay in the field in order to compel the Romans to come to terms. He counted on the Roman Emperor's legendary tenacity to work against him - Malik knew every day Demetrios was in the field was another day he was weakened overall.

Which is why the events of March 6th, 1105, no doubt utterly puzzled and perplexed the Sultan.

The day began like normal, with Roman scouts and Turkish outriders no doubt skirmishing on the flanks of both armies, but our sources indicate that around midday, this normal activity suddenly stopped. Khalid al-Tikriti writes, "The Sultan was agitated, for this was not like his foe was want to act. Malik therefore sent men, many and brave, to his flanks, fearing the Roman would try some perfidious trick or ruse."

While Malik's caution was laudable, it proved irrelevant.

Hours after all activity had ended and only a few hours before sunset, Malik's scouts spotted a strange cloud of dust to the left of the army. Riders were sent to investigate, and came back with the unbelievable - the Roman Emperor was behind the Turkish lines, with an unknown number of cavalry! Malik's army sputtered to life, his horse galloped into lines ready to meet this threat, when a rider approached under a flag of truce.

The youth, he could not have been older than fourteen, shouted that the Emperor was surrounding the Turks, and he now offered them generous terms to avoid further bloodshed. To add to the Sultan's astonishment, the youth said that the Emperor, with a personal bodyguard, would agree to meet the Sultan in person to discuss the affairs.

For the first time in the entire campaign, Malik found himself stunned and shocked. It took the Sultan several minutes to decide, before agreeing to hear these terms.

kohgreat2copy.png

In perhaps the most daring and most foolish move of his reign, Demetrios rode behind the Sultan's lines to intimidate him to come to terms - and assuage his ego that he did, indeed, "cross the Euphrates"

Unfortunately for posterity, the record of the meeting between these two giants of the age went, in all likelihood, unrecorded. All the great chroniclers, from al-Tikriti to St. Adelbert (who at the time was a minor priest in the Norman contingent) claim to have a true account of the affair, but their stories wildly disagree and are often completely over the top - Adelbert, for example, claims to have seen Satan personally sitting behind the Emperor during the talks.

What is known for certain is that the Romans and the Turks came away with an agreement where there would be ten years of peace. Romanion would not make any incursions or demands on Turkish territory, while the Turks would respect Romanion's claims in the Levant. While the Seljuks would officially continue to condemn the Christian occupation of Jerusalem, they agreed to the de facto state of affairs. Demetrios promised the city would remain open to all faiths, and that no special taxes would be levied on Muslims within his Palestinian provinces.

What caused the Roman Emperor to change his heart and seek a peaceful resolution after over a year of fruitless marching? We don't know for sure. I believe that somehow the Emperor's advisers managed to persuade him to take peace as an option - it is utterly unlike what we know of Demetrios for him to willingly end a conflict without utterly crushing his opponent. Lincoln has put forward a rudely-treated claim that somehow it was the Crown Prince who influenced his father, a bold assertion considering the young age of Nikolaios at the time (only 13) and the rocky relationship between the two. Such a theory also flies in the face of what happened afterwards, when the returning Demetrios recognizesd his son Michael as a legitimate heir and planned to raise him to the rank of Kaisar...

================================================================================

May 17th, 1105

It was not every day that one got to ride into Konstantinopolis as part of a triumphal procession, but despite the honor, Nikolaios felt as if a million bricks were stacked on his heart. It seemed things couldn't get much worse since that fateful morning on the banks of the Euphrates.

When Nikolaios had proposed his plan to his father, Demetrios at first thought it was a joke, and started to explain to his son the plan that would get the army across the Euphrates. When Nikolaios made it apparent that he was serious about his idea, the Emperor grew incredulous, then angry. Demetrios argued the enemy had to be destroyed, that the Empire had to save face for Arbela. Nikolaios countered that Mt. Tabor had more than made up for Arbela. The Emperor accused his son of trying to ensure he had more glory - Nikolaios rebuffed that as a foolish idea.

Demetrios bellowed. Nikolaios bellowed back. The Basilieus snarled, the Sebastokrator held his ground. The Emperor raged, the Crown Prince lashed back. The two circled as lions do around a kill, each judging the other, each attempting to find the other's weakness. Finally, the Basilieus had had enough of the match, and agreed to Nikolaios' proposal, as long as it was done 'his way.' Nikolaios knew his father was absolutely incensed, and agreed.

The two got into yet another shouting match when Nikolaios found out what 'the Emperor's way' meant. Demetrios decided to sneak across the Euphrates with barely fifty cavalry, using Michael's tagma as cover. The Prince, along with his light horsemen, proved devastatingly effective in the darkness, killing enough Turkish pickets on the river to allow the small force to cross. Demetrios led them behind the Turkish lines, so the next morning they were in position. The usual scouting across the banks stopped, leaving time for the Turks to grow paranoid, before Demetrios made his appearance. As expected, the Sultan was stunned, and assumed the Emperor came with a vast host.

The Basilieus thought the plan was exceedingly clever, while Nikolaios openly ridiculed it as foolish in the extreme. As the weeks wore on and the army began its march home, the rancor between father and son rose. It became apparent that all the Emperor's frustrations from the campaign were now finding a target in his son, until it all hit a tipping point outside of Ikonium. Demetrios laughingly brought up the incident and claimed peace with the Turks was his own idea - a statement Nikolaios vehemently disagreed with. Shouting ensued. The dispute ended with Demetrios physically threatening Nikolaios, and then announcing that his "brave son" who "crossed the Euphrates with him," would be the new Kaisar.

Words that hurt Nikolaios even on this supposedly happy day.

Beside the Prince rode the new Kaisar designee, who wasn't happy himself. Relations between the two, formerly so close, had been strained since the incident. Michael knew Nikolaios didn't blame him, and Nikolaios knew Michael bore no ill will, it was simply the two were pawns in the hands of an angry father. That fact, however, did nothing to stop the uneasiness that was in the air - their conversations, normally rich, had become stale. Today was no different, as Michael tried repeatedly to start conversations, only to have them die.

"Nikolaios," Michael finally said uneasily. He looked down, as if the streets below were suddenly immensely interesting. Nikolaios waited, watching as Michael took in several breaths, before speaking again. "I'm... sorry. I did not know it..."

"Why do you apologize?" Nikolaios cut him off. "You should smile, and be happy! You're going to be Kaisar! The heir to the Empire, the Vice Regent of Christ! You are the only person not celebrating that..."

"Your mother isn't," Michael said quickly.

"True, but she doesn't appoint Kaisars," Nikolaios replied. "Truth be told, I'm a little sad, yes. But I'm also glad - you get the responsibilities of being the heir to the empire. I can focus on my readings now!"

"You're too bright to let go to waste," Michael patted Nikolaios' shoulder. "Truth be told, I think ruling all of Romanion is a little too big for one man alone, and I'm going to need help. I want you to be my Kaisar when I inherit..."

"...what?" Nikolaios managed to sputter out.

"You are intelligent, you are devious, you have a touch for statecraft - look at what you did in Mesopotamia! No one else had the courage to speak up to father, and you did, despite knowing it would incur his wrath and cost you the position of Kaisar!"

"But.."

"No buts," Michael interrupted, his voice grown in confidence. "You set aside your own ambition for the good of the state and the people. Few people would do that, and those that do need to be cherished by those that rule."

Nikolaios sat, stunned for a moment, before his lips curled into a grin, then a laugh.

"You've been reading Plato then?" he giggled. Michael nodded eagerly, and Nikolaios laughed again. It felt like the old times, when Michael had first arrived, and they were practicing swords or debating a point of philosophy. "I'll be more than willing to serve any man who can quote Plato and Homer!"

Michael beamed. "Excellent!"

Side by side, the two men, now full brothers by fiat, rode into the Queen of Cities, unaware of what was about to engulf them...

=============================================================================

emperorarriving.jpg

A depiction of the Emperor's arrival in Konstantinopolis, circa 1552

In a grand procession, the Emperor, followed by his sons and the officers of the army, priests, nobles, and the bureaucrats of the Empire, snaked through the streets of Konstantinopolis. The throngs had gathered at the chance to witness the man who, according to many, had stemmed the Turkish tide, reconquered Jerusalem, Cyrenaica, and safeguarded Serbia and Croatia. Members of the Imperial guard strained to keep the throng back - as many tried to reach out, simply to touch the Imperial vestments.

Hajnal had arranged behind this display of power for several wagons, filled with bread and coins, to toss their contents into the crowd, as a sign of the Emperor's wealth, power and prestige. No one realized that the coins thrown were those from her own personal purse, and the bread was made by bakers in the city under threat of arrest if they did not accept deferred payment.

The Empress herself was already waiting in the vastness of the mostly restored Hippodrome - workers were still chipping and adding to the ancient obelisks in the center of the complex, yet the planned additions, including a giant equestrian statue of Constantine the Great, leafed in gold, were almost in place - more than enough to awe any of the various foreign dignitaries invited to sit with her in the Kathisma, the private imperial box for viewing the races.

kathisma.jpg

The Kathisma

While the Emperor and his entourage made their way to the Great Palace and finished last arrangements and preparations for entering the Hippodrome, Hajnal did as she had done for the past two years - she wined and dined her foreign guests. Talking avidly with her were nobles from Macedonia and Thrake, Greeks intent on securing a contract with the government. Standing in the observation platform, blatantly gawking at the immense crowd and gaudy displays of wealth were representatives from Hungary and the Italian states. In the corner huddled chiefs from the Cumans and the Rus to the north, unsure of how to act and taking comfort in each other's company instead of with the strange Greeks. Above it all floated the Empress, cool, calm and collected, moving from guest to guest, making diplomacy as she made conversation.

Outside the noise of trumpets cut through the air, and Hajnal moved towards the open balcony of the Kathisma, leaving the foreign delegations behind. The moment she entered the light of the sun, the gathered masses of the city roared their approval. Free bread, free coin, what was there not to cheer about this day?

Hajnal smiled appreciatively at the crowds outside, and even raised a hand in acknowledgment. After all, one had a public image to maintain, and for the past two years it had been Hajnal, not Demetrios, who had been the public face of the Imperial government in the city. It had been Hajnal, not Demetrios, who had reorganized the city granaries in the face of a food shortage during the winter of 1103. It had been Hajnal, not Demetrios, that had distributed food to the people during games to keep them content. They loved her, and she knew it.

Down below, the Patriarchs of the Three Holy Churches, Konstantinopolis, Antioch and Jerusalem, walked into the Hippodrome to thunderous approval. Clad in black, white, and blue vestments respectively, all trimmed in gold, they serenely walked around the inside of the track, censers swaying, intoning prayers of thanks.

Behind them came a slew of priests, each carrying a standard depicting one of the saints of the Church. As this first processional made its way around the Hippodrome, the crowd fell silent. Finally, the three patriarchs climbed a set of stairs to the central spindle that ran down the middle of the great track, and trumpets sounded again.

The Emperor himself then rode into the Hippodrome, clad in the most resplendent robes of state on a charger adorned with gilt armor and feathers from the rarest of birds. Hajnal frowned, her frown turning to a brief grimace when she saw Michael, not Nikolaios, followed the Emperor into the arena, clad in the robes of the Kaisar, despite not technically having the rank. After the end of the triumph, the entire court was to head to the Hagia Sophia, where Michael would be consecrated.

Where my son's birthright would be stolen, she sat on a divan in the viewing box, now outside of public view. She permitted a snarl to come to her lips. Too bad he'll run into problems... She peeked over the edge of the Kathisma in time to see Nikolaios riding behind Demetrios and Michael, and she stood up again to see her pride and joy. She had worried incessantly these past two years, but now pride swelled within her heart. He had left a mere boy, trained classically and clearly intelligent, and he'd returned a young man who was destined to be a statesman.

Beside him rode his bodyguard, the son of some Imperial general she didn't care about. The two were busily talking away even as the crowd roared around them - in her mind Hajnal imagined it was some point of statecraft. That is what she trained her son to do, and it would be the mantle she would ensure he recieved.

The great cavalcade of the Emperor, the nobility and courtiers made a single circle around the Hippodrome, before coming to a stop underneath the three Patriarchs. A sign of blessing was raised over them, and the Emperor ascended the spindle to have holy oil placed on his forehead. When Demetrios rose, the entire Hippodrome exploded into noise, as the people cheered, screamed and stomped their feet. From somewhere a general chant started, and rose until the words were on the tongue of the entire mass of people - "Megos! Megos!"

Hajnal frowned. The crowd was cheering her husband, a noise that made her want to cringe, but she kept her face cool and serene, even smiling a little. She knew what was coming, and eighteen months without supervision had been the boon she had waited for. It'd been put to immensely good use. That thought made her smile, even as the ceremony below went on, and she saw her real son and his bodyguard turn their horses to the lower levels of the Hippodrome.

About ten minutes later, Hajnal allowed herself to drop the act when Nikolaios entered the back of the chamber. She rushed over, putting him in a full hug, not caring what the delegates thought. The two began to talk, making up for eighteen months apart. She asked if he'd kept with his lessons, he confirmed and denied the details of all the wild rumors she'd heard - that he'd slain a Turkish general (untrue) , that he'd fallen out with his father (a sad fact). A hour passed pleasantly by, before another call of the trumpets signalled the end of the ceremony, and Nikolaios rose to leave.

"Nikolaios," Hajnal called her son to her side. When he came, she stood, and gently kissed him on the forehead. "If you truly love me, you will walk in the procession behind your father, no nearer than three pairs of people," she whispered.

"That would be my normal position mother," Nikolaios said, by his face clearly puzzled. "The procession has the Emperor and his heir, followed by the Patriarch of Constantinople and the Megos Domestikos, then the Patriarchs of Jerusalem and Antioch, then me..."

She breathed a sigh of relief - she had remembered the protocol correctly after all. "Good then, my child. We wouldn't want to insult anyone on this day."

"No mother," Nikolaios said, and Hajnal patted his cheek.

"Now go, I have no doubt they are waiting on you," she smiled. As her son bowed, then turned and left, she felt her heart begin to race. The time was almost here. Slowly, she rose, followed by her servants and bodyguards. Unlike her son, she wanted to jump a few positions in the procession.

She did not want to miss it for the world.

==============================================================================

"I suppose I can't pry from you what your mother wanted," Ioannis grinned wryly as the two began to leave the catacomb of the Kathisma. "Probably state secrets and all." Nikolaios shook his head grimly.

"Nothing of the sort, she just wanted to make sure I knew proper protocol." He frowned. "I'm not sure why... I know protocol like the back of my hand..."

"Its one of the most important ceremonies this city has seen in a decade," Ioannis waved off the concern, "she's probably just doubly making sure you do things correctly, that's all." At the continued look of concern on his friend's face, Ioannis stopped.

"How are you?" Ioannis whispered as the rumble and din of 100,000 people leaving the Hippodrome rose above them. Nikolaios sighed - Ioannis had been utterly worried since the Emperor had announced that Michael would be the new heir. And for good reason - Nikolaios had been despondent since the news. He'd known a fallout with his father was possible, but he never imagined the old man would act this way...

"Acceptable," was all Nikolaios could say. He cared about Michael, he liked Michael, and he would loyally support Michael no matter what the Prince did. He looked down before smiling sadly. "He already promised me I would be Kaisar, and not one of his own sons."

"Well, that's good news!" Thrakesios grinned, until he realized Nikolaios would not match the genuine smile. "What? You'll be Kaisar!"

"Until he looks on the face of his son, of age," Nikolaios sighed. "That will be the end of that. All men want to start their own dynasty." Their talking and slow walking meant they were late, and they fell in behind several praetors of the city, several positions further back than what was normal. As long as they didn't cut in front of the Patriarchs or his fahter and brother, protocol was observed.

"Oh well," the Prince finally said, "I shall use my spare time to write about all of this." He genuinely smiled at that thought.

"Write? Bah, that's boring," Thrakesios laughed as they reached the exit to the Kathisma. "There are much more fun things to do with your free time!"

"Like what?" Nikolaios asked warily. His mind jumped back to a few hours earlier in the palace, where some innocent tormentor had unwittingly arranged for Ioannis to change into his tunics and robes in the space place as Nikolaios. Fortunately, Nikolaios was already dressed and hid his embarrassment well, and Ioannis changed like he did everything else - with military speed and efficiency. Nikolaios tried to fight the thoughts, but a few still made it through, and he found part of himself hoping to hear something come from Ioannis' mouth that would be utterly foolish to say in public.

"Wenching!" Ioannis grinned broadly.

"Ioannis!" Nikolaios' face went beet red. Those weren't the words he wanted to hear, and Ioannis' irreverence to the solemn procession they were about to join was appalling. To Nikolaios' frustration, Thrakesios started to giggle.

"You should see your face!" Ioannis grinned. "I definitely got you out of those doldrums!"

"Silence, you cad," was all Nikolaios could grumble, before the two entered the bright light of day, and seriousness took over the day as they joined in the procession.

The processional slowly made its way across the great plaza that separated the Great Palace from the Hippodrome and the Hagia Sophia. Nikolaios and Ioannis were three back from the head of the richly cloaked and incense covered parade - at the front walked the Basilieus and Michael, both clad in rich robes of state. Along the sides of the route stood the members of the Kappadokia guards regiment, keeping the crowd at bay.

Nikolaios looked out into the crowd, and his eyes caught something. The crowd seemed to move unusually. They cheered, but people seemed to be moving forward against their own accord. At first, Nikolaios merely assumed that some people near the back were shoving forward, trying to catch a glimpse of the Basilieus and the soon to be consecrated Kaisar. But as the disturbance moved, Nikolaios quickly realized people were being shoved aside. Before he could call out a warning, two men burst from the crowd, right next to Demetrios and Michael.

They twisted and ducked around the arms of the nearest guards, and went at a run towards the center of the plaza. All Nikolaios could do in that moment of shock was watch as they charged towards the Emperor and Michael, a pair of daggers in their hands. As the Emperor spun around, hand reaching for his sword, they were upon him.

"Allahu Ackbar!"

41076-thumb2.jpg

The blade of Zahir al-Mahdi, one of the two hashashin unleashed on the Basilieus on May 17th, 1105, now kept as a relic in the Church of Holy Communion, Durazzo.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Oh dear. Now if that's not a cliffhanger, I don't know what is.

And am I the only one to think that Nikolaios is a bit too young to face all that?

-----

And yes, of course, still excellent. I didn't see any of that coming. Demetrios agreeing, Michael as Kaisar, Hajnal pulling her ultimate trump. None of that.

Last edited:
Bloody hell!
A cliffhanger at this point? Are you trying to kill us? Anyway a magnificent (and enjoyably long) update. I hope at least Michael survives this attack. Poor fellow, he never wanted to get into this anyway.

~Lord Valentine~

Cliff Hanger, iv fallen off and have grabbed the random bush growing halfway down the cliffface.

About Nik and his prefrences. Do you think his mothers influence had anything to do with putting him off women?

Nik's smart. His mother will not have a bright future when he add 2 to 2 and get 4.

Nikolai said:
Nik's smart. His mother will not have a bright future when he add 2 to 2 and get 4.
If Michael dies, then yes--they seem to get along pretty well--, but if it’s only Demetrios that’s killed the repercussions might be rather less severe (for Hanjal anyway. The repercussions for the empire will be severe no matter what).

Last edited:
All of Hajnal's schemes and bitterness now come to fruition. Things are going to be rocky in the aftermath, though, regardless of whether the assassination is successful or not. Even if the Emperor dies the Empress' position is far from secure. The people might love her now for providing the bread and circus but imagine if they find out she was the one who stole their beloved Emperor from them, the man who singlehandedly defeat the Turks, the Vice-Regent of God killed by a barbarian wench. Byzantines were famously contemptuous of outsiders so if push comes to shove I doubt Hajnal will find much support. Hopefully Nikolaios will somehow find a way to make it thru everything.

VILenin said:
All of Hajnal's schemes and bitterness now come to fruition. Things are going to be rocky in the aftermath, though, regardless of whether the assassination is successful or not. Even if the Emperor dies the Empress' position is far from secure. The people might love her now for providing the bread and circus but imagine if they find out she was the one who stole their beloved Emperor from them, the man who singlehandedly defeat the Turks, the Vice-Regent of God killed by a barbarian wench. Byzantines were famously contemptuous of outsiders so if push comes to shove I doubt Hajnal will find much support. Hopefully Nikolaios will somehow find a way to make it thru everything.

Your right there VILenin. When I read the update I couldn't help but think of Maria of Antioch, the wive of Manuel I Komnenos who not only lost power, but in the end was murdered together with her son Alexios II. Had she been Greek she might have maintained some power but as "Xene" (foreigner) that was out of the question.

Anyway I am eagerly awaiting the resolution of this drama. :)

~Lord Valentine~

And now for something a little different...

=========================================================
demetriosbannercopy.jpg

The Strategikon o Basileio is a work of the late 11th/early 12th century traditional ascribed to Roman Emperor Demetrios Megos. Its actual author is not known - some attribute it to known Roman general Isaakios Thrakesios, and others as a ghost-written work by Demetrios' son Nikolaios. What is known is that it provides a unique and detailed look at the Romanoi armies between the ascension of the Komnenids and the First Seljuq War. The work deals extensively not just with the proper usage of various units and peoples on the battlefield, but also gives us an idea on how the Romans recruited these troops and related to the peoples within their borders...

From Strategikon o Basilieo (Strategies of an Emperor) - by Demetrios Komnenos

On Mercenaries​

pechenegmercenary.jpg

The Pecheneg

The Pecheneg is a wily fellow, hence their danger to the Empire before they were pacified. A good general will use this to his advantage - they are amazing foragers and grazers, and capable of immense feats of archery on horseback. Most come armed with bows and swords, protected by shirts of mail and small shields. They are an ideal counterweight to the Turks, Saracens, and others who rely on horse skirmishing to harass larger, slower enemies. With their keen sense and tracking abilities, they make formidable scouts as well. A wise ruler will grant the Pechenegs great freedom in their homeland, in return for their annual tribute, the safety of Roman citizens, and their unfettered military service.

trapezatoi.jpg

Vardaratoi

The people's of the Vardar Valley are among the most formidable warriors known. Much as the Isaurians bolstered the army of Heraklios, the Vardaratoi immensely strengthen our own. Equipped with spear, sword, shield and bow, they are flexible, capable of serving as skirmishers or line cavalry at the generals discretion. Good emperors will maintain a special relation with these people - because they lie outside the normal political arena of Konstantinopolis, their loyalty is as good as their pay. Such emperors will also make sure they stay well paid.

normanknight.jpg
frankishswords.jpg

A Norman "milites" mounted, and a Frankish swordsman

The Latinikoi are barbarous, rough-hewn, and irreverant. The show respect for neither the true temporal or the true spiritual leaders of Christ, and are prone to cause all sorts of mayhem and mischief. However, on the battlefield, their ferocity and tenacity once enough pay or spiritual rewards are shown to them is unmatched. The Norman cavalry in particular are useful instruments - with their tactic of charging with lances under arm, when unleashed at the proper moment they are the most devastating unit in war. A good general will keep in mind, however, that the Normans are prone to engage without orders, are haughty and jealous of their pride. Use these attributes to your advantage. The Franks do not field as good of cavalry as the Normans, but their infantry stand powerful and strong. Clad in mail, they often serve as better swordsmen than our own troops, yet their ill disciplined behavior often makes them more of a headache than an asset. Use them only to bolster your ranks as a last resort.

varangoi.jpg

The Varangoi

The Varangoi have long formed a heavy core of the Imperial armies, and a wise emperor will keep these Danes, Swedes, and Saxons well paid and close at hand. Like the Vardaratoi they stand outside of Imperial politics, and thus also prove useful as bodyguards and reserve units. Their two handed axes can cleave horses and men alike, and generals who wish to win will keep them as a reserve. Let the enemy break on the walls of your spears, and as they falter, send in the Varangoi, who will sow fear and dread in their ranks, and cut bloody lanes for your cavalry to use.

skythikon.jpg

Skythikon

The term 'Skythikon' is a misnomer, for these are not the Scythians of Darius' fame, but the peoples of the steppe north of the Black Sea. They are many and varied, and each has their own unique traits, needs, and skills. The Avars, the Cumans, even the Bolgars count amongst this group. They are all primarily lightly armed and armored horse-archers, who's ally is speed and suprise. Use them to scout and harass the enemy, either holding a foe at a distance or pulling them in for an ambush.

turcopoles.jpg
saracenspears.jpg

A Turcopole horseman, and a Saracen spearman

A final potential source for mercenaries - the Saracens themselves. Turcopole cavalry can give many a ruler a good counterbalance to the Turkish horse, and often they will work for little pay. Saracen spear infantry is often lightly armored but remarkably resilient in battle. A reminder - these troops often are followers of Mahomet, and will become rebellious if not allowed to conduct their daily rituals. However, if a commander lets them pray towards Mekkah, and allows them to practice their faith, they will grant him their confidence and trust, and prove most reliable.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Nice little bonus update there ! Makes me want to play Medieval Total War again for some reason XD .

All caught up, wowza, things are looking dark for our heroes. The discussion of the military of Byzantium was great, an excellent view into the way the armies are operating.