• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An excellent overview of an almost unrecognizeable Europe.

Poland looks really badly done in.

Ah, I love glimpses of alternative history, like the one you have given us, General_BT. Your gameplay has created a very plausible and attractive Europe. Like it!

Yayz, europe looks fantastic!
Yet why don't you simply crush France?
For the narrative I guess.
It would be very easy. But you gave Iberia away. :rolleyes: :p

Nice nice!

Thank you! I've been waiting for an overview for some time.

I hope there is more neo-Viking expansion, and the Balkanization of France and the 'Rus would be a great political development. Another frontier of Rhomanion?

Great political overview. Europe sure has changed during the game. Kind of funnny how Denmark and Poland are both near collapse, for if I remember correctly, they were bitter enemies during Basil's Spanish crusade, and now both have been marginalized by third powers.

Great political overview. Europe sure has changed during the game. Kind of funnny how Denmark and Poland are both near collapse, for if I remember correctly, they were bitter enemies during Basil's Spanish crusade, and now both have been marginalized by third powers.

Yep, Knud Knytling and his mortal enemy Boleslaw Piast. :)

I'd seen the country name "Sortmark" before but had no idea what it was. Given that you went to the trouble of making an EU3 flag for them, they obviously survive the Golden Horde...

edit: when did Germany get Novgorod?

Last edited:
Yep, Knud Knytling and his mortal enemy Boleslaw Piast. :)

I'd seen the country name "Sortmark" before but had no idea what it was. Given that you went to the trouble of making an EU3 flag for them, they obviously survive the Golden Horde...

edit: when did Germany get Novgorod?
Could have been here:
HOORAY!
30,000 views, and almost 800 replies, in the CK forum. That’s just short of amazing.

Flag B:
PRKcopy.png

Sortmark
;)

Also very carefully of course.

Nice to see how far we've come, eh?

Congratualtions with the glorification General!:)

A most excellent perspective of the world 100 years from 1100. I headed back to the early pages of the AAR (Man it really does feel like a different time and place!) and compared 1100 to 1200. Alot has come on for the Byzantines in just 100 years.

Back then, they were still ruled by the 32 year old Demetrios "Megos" Komnenos. Nikolaios was alive, Hajnal was, the empire was still struggling with the Seljuks and Egypt. Not even Manuel had been born. The Empire remained tiny compared to today.

By 1200 however, the Empire remains large with a lunatic emperor on the throne, more intrigue and plotting throughout the dynasty, Italy and the East reunited, a plotting French King yet it seems little could stop the Byzantine wrath.

It'll be fun to compare 1300 to 1200 and 1100 when we get there. By that time, I am assuming that Andronikos II will be around that period whom I can't wait to read about!

I am glad though General_BT that you are not allowing the Romans to have an easy time of it. I am pleased you are making it tough for them. It'll be fun to see hopefully the new nations you mod in for EUIII and the possible historical consequences.....

Sortmark will certainly be an interesting nation I am sure you will keep around me thinks. ;)

I'm happy to announce (in case Nikolai's post hadn't given it away) that I have been Glorified! Please click on the link to read asd21593's interview of yours truly. And if you haven't already gotten hooked reading the CK section of Heaven on Earth, the saga continues into EU3 with Heaven on Earth: Part Two! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Ksim3000 - Good, I'm not the only one that looks back at the early parts of the thread and gets a sense that things were utterly different back then. :) In terms of the story and character of course they were, but I'm also talking in terms of my writing - I was actually mulling going to a history book style once Demetrios Megos was crowned Emperor, but decided against it. The world in 1300 will definitely have some major changes as well, though you are a little bit off when it comes to Andronikos II...

Nikolai - Thank you!

AlexanderPrimus - I'm really looking forward to when I get to introduce Sortmark into the narration of the story! Soooooo looking forward to it! As for the Scots - what do you expect with England busy looking south?

Avalanchemike - That "Hooray" seems out of place now, considering how far we've come. :) As for a general bloodbath, all I'll say is that in two updates, there will be more blood shed than there has been in quite a long time in the AAR...

VladAntlerkov - I'm not exactly sure when the Germans took Novgorod... when I took the year 1200 screenie it was there. I'm assuming it had something to do with Russia's backhanding of Poland, but I don't know (that set off a huge set of DoWs, though little land changed hands). As for Sortmark, its my bastardized attempt to translate "Black Fields" into Danish. :)

DarthJF - Magnus of the Spanish Crusade fame was far more intelligent than the others thought, to the point that Denmark in Scandanavia is on its last legs. As for Poland - if the Rus kept their lands together and behaved, that drubbing was a matter of time...

phargle - Oh, that was the fun part of me, trying to explain some of the quirky things CK did like a bunch of Danes in southern Russia!

Enewald - Precisely, I don't take out France 'cause it'd make things boring! Though don't worry, before the CK part of the tale is done, the Capets and France get their just dues at the hands of a Roman Emperor!

Exadus - Ask and ye shall recieve! France right now is rather strong, but like I just said, that will change. As for the Rus, expect something epic when dust clouds begin to show on the eastern horizon. The Mongols are coming sooner than you think!

The_Guiscard -So far there hasn't been too much of CK's normally 'scattershot' realms. Only time will tell if that luck holds out, but semi-solid realms certainly makes for prettier maps. :)

RGB - Poland's in very bad way. She's next to a huge, centralized power, and on her other border is a realm (Germany) that could turn that way once more. Meanwhile, her lands are broken apart and spread amongst many independent lords. It's going to take one hell of a Piast to get it all put back together.

Currently I'm at my parents, waiting for the funeral and grading my student's papers to pass the time. So, in the spirit of this time of year and what I'm current doing, I thought I'd toss out a short response question! (or as we say in the department, a minitheme) :) And besides, I'm genuinely curious to see people's responses. So, if you wish to participate:

"Taking into account each man's contributions, state in 200 words or less which Komnenid Emperor was the best emperor, and why..."

Go!

(Next update will be up sometime midweek next week...)

Notwithstanding his brutal repression of the church and the nobility(and possibly because of it, Manuel was the greatest emperor of Romanion. He acquired vast lands in Africa. He fought off the Turk, brilliantly allowing his son Basil display his prowess. He solved the problem of Nikolaios' lack of legitimate heirs by pruning the less fruitful branches of Demetrios Megas' family tree. He provided for an excellent heir in Basil (which really puts him up over his son who gave us Thomas as an heir :( )

Manuel made Romanion strong, respected and stable.

And furthermore, Mehtar delenda est.

Notwithstanding his brutal repression of the church and the nobility(and possibly because of it, Manuel was the greatest emperor of Romanion. He acquired vast lands in Africa. He fought off the Turk, brilliantly allowing his son Basil display his prowess. He solved the problem of Nikolaios' lack of legitimate heirs by pruning the less fruitful branches of Demetrios Megas' family tree. He provided for an excellent heir in Basil (which really puts him up over his son who gave us Thomas as an heir :( )

Manuel made Romanion strong, respected and stable.

And furthermore, Mehtar delenda est.

I disagree. The best emperor was Demetrios Megos. He started off inheriting a crumbling empire led by a bufoon compared to Manuel, Basil and Thomas that inherited successive empires. He secured the empire in the Middle East, beat off the Seljuks, expanded onto Siciliy and into North Africa, secured the northern realms of the Cumans. If anything, Demetrios was the "Megos" in my opinion. He turned the empire's fortunes and allowed future emperors to expand upon that success.

I do think now though the empire is going to experiance a progression of emperors that help to lead the empire on it's second downturn. And not down to corruption either but the quality of emperors such as Thomas I, Thomas II (I do firmly believe Thomas II will be the successor to the purple), Andronikos II, etc.

But that's my take anyhow.

i think machiavelli would have had a hardon for manuel. the man is clearly the greatest komnenid emperor, being more emperor than man in a way.

I disagree. The best emperor was Demetrios Megos. He started off inheriting a crumbling empire led by a bufoon compared to Manuel, Basil and Thomas that inherited successive empires. He secured the empire in the Middle East, beat off the Seljuks, expanded onto Siciliy and into North Africa, secured the northern realms of the Cumans. If anything, Demetrios was the "Megos" in my opinion. He turned the empire's fortunes and allowed future emperors to expand upon that success.

I agree. The Megas didn't inherit the empire either, remember, he took it by force, then took care of the all-important task of crushing those who helped him up (yeah, yeah, and poisoned his father, but pecadillos aside you can't afford to keep known traitors around the court).
Also I can't think of any decisions made during Demetrios' tenure (except the precedent set by his own march on the capital, a precedent which had already been thoroughly set by numerous previous emperors) that ground away at the empire's foundations, unlike Nikolaios' precarious balancing of princes, Manuel's feudalization, or Basil's disastrous succession plan.
Plus, if the church is right, he continued his work after death by further solidifying Romaion's most important diplomatic connection.