• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Haha! The Roman Empire crumbles under the false emperor Andronikos, and the Megas Reborn in Persia forges the Empire of Iran on the former Roman territories of the Middle East and Egypt! Alexandros II is seriously awesome.

Also, who's the heir apparent of the Roman Empire? And what about the children Alexandros has with his Sortmark wife? And what about relations between the two?

Anyways, it looks like the World shall enter the XIV century engulfed in chaos and war. Makes for a good story. :D

What, has France regained Aquitania and Toulouse?
Komnenoi rule Britannia?

Btw, has this Pax Mongolica, brought more Chinese innovations to the west?
Steel? Printing press?
Or just guns and huge ships? :D

Somehow I actually doubt that Andronikos murdered his German wife, he has absolutely nothing to gain from doing so. Also by reading the mid third of the chapter they seemed to have respected eachother and been 'friends' at least, and a marital union between Germany and Romaion is necesary to keep Andronikos' rear secure... Just can't see him murdering Dorottya.

Which leads us to this question: If she was murdered, who is responsible? I doubt that the Persians have anything to do with it, they are far too occupied with other matters to murder someone to them completely irrelevant. The Germans wouldn't profit from it either, Hesso would get a war but why would his murder his sister? And why would a German vassal murder his liege's sister, knowing full and well that it would herald a war they need to comit to despite not being loyal? In my eyes this leaves none else than the pope, I don't know how the pope would manage to reach Konstantinopolis, but is the one that makes sense, IF Dorottya was murdered. It also plays the papacy in their hands perfectly, as we've seen in the plotting above.

Onto Alexandros II, he seems awesome. Alot of inspiration for sure that has been grabbed Megas Alexandros in our timeline. I really can't see him fail. I bet he will lay his hands on Transoxania and Syria before this i over.

Last edited:
What did I say. Nothing good. And let me guess. NIce ones of the children die horribly or become unstable psyhopaths while idiots inherit?

The French are plotting, indeed. You said Comyn Moor, so now I want to know the end of that story.

So many Komnenoi brothers - it's going to be rough if succession gets muddled.

And Ibn Tamiyyah, bah. Man is bad news. Maybe it's a good thing he's in Syria giving Andronikos trouble. But what an update! There's a certain lusciousness to your historical prose in that passage about the formation and the blossoming of the rebellion, a reflective certitude; I think this is probably the first time I'm seeing that style from your work. The conversation pieces mastered, the good general works atthe know-it-all stance. :D

Good to see the Latins trying to break down some Roman authority. Meanwhile the developments in Persia are interesting. I wonder if in the future this country shall become an Aionite state.

The Roman collapse has to start soon. Surely. :D

Should have known better.

Andronikos' eldest sure seems like someone who may start the decline of the Roman empire if he were to become emperor, even if he can count on his learned brother's assistance. Of all the Komnenoi right now I much prefer the Persian ones.

Last edited:
AFAIK, Iran is Persia in persian. As in, natives used that term since ever and foreigners came up with the name Persia.

Yup! We have always called ourselves Iranians, but Persian is also just as widely accepted. Anywho, fun times ahead. Delicious irony that Alexander the Great's successor has come from, of all places, Iran! Oh fun times indeed.

P.S: Still firmly hoping for Zoroastrianism to rise once more in Iran...what is it wrong to live in my own little fantasy land? ;)

Since nobody is rooting for the good Sheik'ul-Islam :( : ISLAMIC ORTHODOXY FOR THE WIN111!!!! YEAH

Andronikos' eldest sure seems like someone who may start the decline of the Roman empire if he were to become emperor, even if he can count on his learned brother's assistance. Of all the Komnenoi right now I much prefer the Persian ones.

And by count on his learned assistance you of course mean be feel threatened by someone who is actually competent and have him killed.

And by count on his learned assistance you of course mean be feel threatened by someone who is actually competent and have him killed.

That would seem like the best course of action for the empire. Sadly things usually don't go the way that's best for the empire, but for some characters that inhabit it, which is a huge difference.

I like this ibn Tamiyyah fellow quite a bit. To stand up to the Emperor himself and declare himself an enemy of him takes a certain amount of guts that indeed only one in ten thousand might have. Whether I agree or disagree with his philosophies is irrelevant, I respect his iron will.

As for the sons of the Emperor Andronikos, I think that Manuel turned out as expected, competent, with all the benefits and problems of being a bastard child included. The rest seem rather much like brats, with Nikephoros being a possible exception.

And lastly, addressing the death of Doryotta.
Unexpected so soon, but I see no real possibility of murder. Yes, the Pope had much to gain from it, but weak as he is, I doubt he could have had her killed. And unless we have not been told the full story, (as may very well be the case) I doubt that Andronikos or any other party has the means AND the motive combined. Andronikos seemed to like her well enough, she didn't seem to be the type to cause problems, and Persia had no real reasons for murdering her, nor did Sortmark, the Mongols, the Germans or the French. And no other state has even the possible capability to send agents to Constantinople and succeed in assassinating an Empress.
Whether Hesso realizes this, however, is another matter altogether, and there may very well be chaos in the West as a result. We haven't heard from Spain yet, and I suspect we'll hear from the boy of Barcelona in the next few chapters, and we'll also get a chance to see how strong the roman fetters in the Duchies of Toulouse and Aquitaine really are.

Nice way to set the stage for a new phase of Roman history, where the Empire is paradoxally at its zenith, yet at its weakest at the same time. The Mongol threat has loomed, the desert lion has been tamed, the Empire spreads from the Atlantic in the west to Transoxania in the East and there are no internal threats to the position of the Emperor left.

Yet at the same time a charismatic preacher with a grudge against the Empire has moved to Syria, hoping to revive the power of Islam, Alexandros II has proven to be a very capable commander, being called the Magas reborn and surely hopes to restore his families power and honour in some way, while in the West the French and Germans might find a common cause, undoubtedly supported by the Pope himself. At the same time the Danes are probably looking for any sign of Roman weakness, not all of Kublai's successors might be as lenient, and lots of powerful families might be biding their time (have my money on Egypt BTW).

Wonder what will happen in time.