• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's an offer he can't refuse. It's also and offer that will cost him more dearly than he can imagine, I'm sure. Very good work by the emperor.:p

It doesn't matter how brilliant and promising you are, if say a rock hits you in the head tomorrow.

...wow. This is probably up there, with Thomas III's final chapter, in rankings of pure awesomeness. I can't believe he solved the biggest threat to Roman integrity in the East whilst being on pot :D

Why do you always say Vice Gerent of Christ, not Vice Regent?

Oh, and that was incredible!

Why do you always say Vice Gerent of Christ, not Vice Regent?

Oh, and that was incredible!

The root of "Gerent" is gerere which means to carry s.th. on, to continue something. It's similar to "Agent". He continues Christ's work on earth.

Anyways what a great update!! Romans, they find a way to corrupt even the incorruptible. :D

Although I'm sure the theological debate between Hinnawi and Taymiyyah will be remembered as much, if not more, than Andronikos' sly manipulation. BT didn't mention anyone making a protocol of the debate, but I'm sure there were clerics around who took notes and will publish them ;)

After all this is likely going to be the only direct encounter of Taymiyyah and a leading Aionite scholar, isn't it?

Then who's the full Gerent? :confused: The Partriarch?

Christ of course.:p

Christ of course.:p

Sorry, thought I hadn't posted that, otherwise I would have deleted it after actually reading the wiki article. Good joke though :)

Making a deal with the Roman devils will give huge dissent, becoming a part of the Roman army even more so. The Levant was lost to Rome anyway, the cost for taking on the Tamyyites AND Persia would be huge. And for the ones not turned away from the deal with Rome, having a safe haven in the Levant means lots of goodwill and Rome has a valuable ally against Persian aggression instead of two enemies.

So a WIN-WIN, as long as everything goes as planned...;)

BT, I know that you likely have no idea, but do you have a guess as to how many updates are left until the conclusion of this wonderful AAR and the start of part 2?

Just curious. :)

Andronikos scares me. He is so brillent but at the same time completly mad. He might be a genius, but just reading that the thing I noticed the most was how crazy he is. Also what does"Ararat" mean?

EDIT: Oh and that complete disregard for the church will bite him in the ass some day. From now on he is relying on only the army and the nobles to keep him in power; one of which is likely to buck him at the closest opertunity.

Last edited:
...but I'm sure there were clerics around who took notes and will publish them ;)

"...it has been mentioned, numerous times throughout more religion-focused chapters of 'Romanion: From Samarkand to the Pillars' and 'The Rise and Fall of the Komnenid States', that the meeting between Taymiyya and Hinnawi could probably be considered the most interesting religious debate of the 14th century. The Amir of the upstart Muslims had arrived to the tent of Emperor Andronikos II to discuss a peace between their forces, but the wise Emperor had cunningly placed his Aionite adviser there, to test just how witty and intelligent Taymiyya was. Once he had heard enough of their verbal combat, he offered his enemy the peace he intended to all along, with all the repercussions that decision would bring later. Of course, almost every Eastern historian knows of the medieval legend that the Emperor of the Known World had, actually, no plan all along, and was in actuality 'high out of his friggin' mind' from substantial cannabis usage, but those reports are considered unproven at best, and simply untruthful at worst, by most prestigious scholars of the subject..."

tee hee hee :D

Yes just like that ;)

Although later historians would probably focus on the theological debate, rather than the meeting with the emperor. Just like the meeting between Martin Luther and emperor Charles II at Worms in 1521 is mostly remembered for what Luther said, not for the political stuff. To us, Luther is the main protagonist of the event, to people at the time, though, it would be the emperor.