+ Reply to Thread
Page 269 of 354 FirstFirst ... 169 194 219 244 259 267 268 269 270 271 279 294 319 344 ... LastLast
Results 5,361 to 5,380 of 7073

Thread: Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Haha! The Roman Empire crumbles under the false emperor Andronikos, and the Megas Reborn in Persia forges the Empire of Iran on the former Roman territories of the Middle East and Egypt! Alexandros II is seriously awesome.

Also, who's the heir apparent of the Roman Empire? And what about the children Alexandros has with his Sortmark wife? And what about relations between the two?

Anyways, it looks like the World shall enter the XIV century engulfed in chaos and war. Makes for a good story.
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

Why does Alexandros wants to rename Persia Iran, Persia sounds much cooler? What't the origin of the name Iran anyway?

I see you quickened up the pace a pace. That's good, I saw many great AAR's bogged down in details.

54 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

What, has France regained Aquitania and Toulouse?
    Komnenoi rule Britannia?

Btw, has this Pax Mongolica, brought more Chinese innovations to the west?
    Steel? Printing press?
    Or just guns and huge ships?

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Somehow I actually doubt that Andronikos murdered his German wife, he has absolutely nothing to gain from doing so. Also by reading the mid third of the chapter they seemed to have respected eachother and been 'friends' at least, and a marital union between Germany and Romaion is necesary to keep Andronikos' rear secure... Just can't see him murdering Dorottya.

Which leads us to this question: If she was murdered, who is responsible? I doubt that the Persians have anything to do with it, they are far too occupied with other matters to murder someone to them completely irrelevant. The Germans wouldn't profit from it either, Hesso would get a war but why would his murder his sister? And why would a German vassal murder his liege's sister, knowing full and well that it would herald a war they need to comit to despite not being loyal? In my eyes this leaves none else than the pope, I don't know how the pope would manage to reach Konstantinopolis, but is the one that makes sense, IF Dorottya was murdered. It also plays the papacy in their hands perfectly, as we've seen in the plotting above.

Onto Alexandros II, he seems awesome. Alot of inspiration for sure that has been grabbed Megas Alexandros in our timeline. I really can't see him fail. I bet he will lay his hands on Transoxania and Syria before this i over.
    Last edited by vanin; 06-01-2011 at 18:38.

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Carlstadt Boy View Post
    Why does Alexandros wants to rename Persia Iran, Persia sounds much cooler? What't the origin of the name Iran anyway?
    AFAIK, Iran is Persia in persian. As in, natives used that term since ever and foreigners came up with the name Persia.
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

Slacker Extraordinaire Zzzzz...'s Avatar
    67 games registered

If the place is comfy to sleep in, yes, you can find me there!
    Wow. That was totally unexpected. She died after one update. Anyway, nice to see an introduction of the next generation of murders, back-stabbers and plotters.
    The list of all my AARs: INKWELL

Current AAR: Golden Sun - A KR Kurdistan AAR - Darkest Hour
    The Policies of Grandeur - Coming Soon!

The Avatar of Time 4th Dimension's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

What did I say. Nothing good. And let me guess. NIce ones of the children die horribly or become unstable psyhopaths while idiots inherit?
    In my cookie jar
    Krofta Kookie! | PanzAARcookie! | Uniting Russia's Russian double-chip Peter Wrangel's chocolate cookie | Got 10 in Timelines

To place foot upon tyrany's neck,
    to lead tyrants to knowledge of the right,
    this is the most sacred of man's duties!
    Bishop Danilo - The Mountain Wreath

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    The French are plotting, indeed. You said Comyn Moor, so now I want to know the end of that story.

So many Komnenoi brothers - it's going to be rough if succession gets muddled.

And Ibn Tamiyyah, bah. Man is bad news. Maybe it's a good thing he's in Syria giving Andronikos trouble. But what an update! There's a certain lusciousness to your historical prose in that passage about the formation and the blossoming of the rebellion, a reflective certitude; I think this is probably the first time I'm seeing that style from your work. The conversation pieces mastered, the good general works atthe know-it-all stance.
    The Russia Megacampaign - See my other work at my Inkwell

A YeAAR's Education - Rurikovich in Crusader Kings 1066-1393

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

So France finally comes back into the big picture, this time with even bigger plans.

I like it, but I still think the Romans will crush them.
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

Lady of the North Star Demi Moderator Saithis's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Should have known better.
    Sai's Inkwell - Click here to see more of my writing!
    Ongoing AARs:
    Valour of the North Star - Chronicles of the Hvide Clan: CK2 Narrative AAR, Last Updated: 9th June 2013
    Last Man and Shilling - Semper Fi HPP AustraliAAR: HOI3 SF HPP History-Book AAR, Last Updated: 9th June 2013
    Blood and Gold - The Second Spanish Republic: HOI3 FTM HPP History-Book/Narrative AAR, Last Updated: 18th August 2012
    Kings of Qritani - A Tale of Picts and Celts: Rome Narrative AAR, Last Updated: 4th September, 2012
    Sai Plays Game of Thrones: Burning Down Westeros: CK2 AGOT Gameplay Video AAR, Last Updated: 6th September, 2012
    If I type in this elegant Red, I am speaking in an official capacity as an AARland Demi-Moderator.
    Forum Rules | AARland FAQ | AARland Rules 1 | Rules 2

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    63 games registered

200k clubCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonland
    Elven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The Glory
    GettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CircleSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of WarParadoxian Order - 2015

Andronikos' eldest sure seems like someone who may start the decline of the Roman empire if he were to become emperor, even if he can count on his learned brother's assistance. Of all the Komnenoi right now I much prefer the Persian ones.
    Last edited by Qorten; 08-01-2011 at 00:46.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Vesimir View Post
    AFAIK, Iran is Persia in persian. As in, natives used that term since ever and foreigners came up with the name Persia.
    Yup! We have always called ourselves Iranians, but Persian is also just as widely accepted. Anywho, fun times ahead. Delicious irony that Alexander the Great's successor has come from, of all places, Iran! Oh fun times indeed.

P.S: Still firmly hoping for Zoroastrianism to rise once more in Iran...what is it wrong to live in my own little fantasy land?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV

Since nobody is rooting for the good Sheik'ul-Islam : ISLAMIC ORTHODOXY FOR THE WIN111!!!! YEAH
    "Praise be to God who ordained that he who
    speaks with pride about Al-Andalus may do
    so without fear and as boldly as he likes
    nor meet any person, who may contradict him"

Al-Shunduqi "Risala fi fadl al-Andalus"

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Qorten View Post
    Andronikos' eldest sure seems like someone who may start the decline of the Roman empire if he were to become emperor, even if he can count on his learned brother's assistance. Of all the Komnenoi right now I much prefer the Persian ones.
    And by count on his learned assistance you of course mean be feel threatened by someone who is actually competent and have him killed.
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen.

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    63 games registered

200k clubCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonland
    Elven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The Glory
    GettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CircleSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of WarParadoxian Order - 2015

Quote Originally Posted by von Sachsen View Post
    And by count on his learned assistance you of course mean be feel threatened by someone who is actually competent and have him killed.
    That would seem like the best course of action for the empire. Sadly things usually don't go the way that's best for the empire, but for some characters that inhabit it, which is a huge difference.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

I like this ibn Tamiyyah fellow quite a bit. To stand up to the Emperor himself and declare himself an enemy of him takes a certain amount of guts that indeed only one in ten thousand might have. Whether I agree or disagree with his philosophies is irrelevant, I respect his iron will.

As for the sons of the Emperor Andronikos, I think that Manuel turned out as expected, competent, with all the benefits and problems of being a bastard child included. The rest seem rather much like brats, with Nikephoros being a possible exception.

And lastly, addressing the death of Doryotta.
    Unexpected so soon, but I see no real possibility of murder. Yes, the Pope had much to gain from it, but weak as he is, I doubt he could have had her killed. And unless we have not been told the full story, (as may very well be the case) I doubt that Andronikos or any other party has the means AND the motive combined. Andronikos seemed to like her well enough, she didn't seem to be the type to cause problems, and Persia had no real reasons for murdering her, nor did Sortmark, the Mongols, the Germans or the French. And no other state has even the possible capability to send agents to Constantinople and succeed in assassinating an Empress.
    Whether Hesso realizes this, however, is another matter altogether, and there may very well be chaos in the West as a result. We haven't heard from Spain yet, and I suspect we'll hear from the boy of Barcelona in the next few chapters, and we'll also get a chance to see how strong the roman fetters in the Duchies of Toulouse and Aquitaine really are.

First Lieutenant
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Wasn't Tamiyyah the boy in Barcelona?

Back from the dead FlyingDutchie's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteVictoria 2

Nice way to set the stage for a new phase of Roman history, where the Empire is paradoxally at its zenith, yet at its weakest at the same time. The Mongol threat has loomed, the desert lion has been tamed, the Empire spreads from the Atlantic in the west to Transoxania in the East and there are no internal threats to the position of the Emperor left.

Yet at the same time a charismatic preacher with a grudge against the Empire has moved to Syria, hoping to revive the power of Islam, Alexandros II has proven to be a very capable commander, being called the Magas reborn and surely hopes to restore his families power and honour in some way, while in the West the French and Germans might find a common cause, undoubtedly supported by the Pope himself. At the same time the Danes are probably looking for any sign of Roman weakness, not all of Kublai's successors might be as lenient, and lots of powerful families might be biding their time (have my money on Egypt BTW).

Wonder what will happen in time.
    Current work: The Sons of Castille - a Castille CK 2 AAR, The German Empire during the 2nd Weltkrieg - A Kaiserreich DH AAR

Some old (and sadly abandoned) works:
    The plot against Britain - a Kaiserreich mystery,Reconquista! - the exploits of the House Barcelona ,A Short History of the German Empire
    Assorted trophies: - Fan of the week (4-4-2010) - WritAAR of the week (18-10-2009) - Character writer of the week, (25-10-2009), - Character writer of the week (23-5-2010) - Joined first place AARland choice Favorite Comedy AAR 2009 (Q4) - Character writer of the week (11-4-2010) - Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomenesss

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by The_Archduke View Post
    Wasn't Tamiyyah the boy in Barcelona?
    If he was, I didn't catch that.
    I sort of assumed he went to Andalusia, not all the way to Basra, but who knows.
    I'm sure BT knows, lol, (hope so anyways..) he should be able to clear this up for me.

+ Reply to Thread