+ Reply to Thread
Page 251 of 354 FirstFirst ... 151 176 201 226 241 249 250 251 252 253 261 276 301 326 351 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,020 of 7073

Thread: Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR

52 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Btw, could we get a new map of the powerful dynatoi of East, Central and Western Roman Empire? Including Persians.

Wow. I've read this story for a while now, but I don't believe I've ever wanted a character to die as I now want Andronikos to. I mean, banishing Albrecht von Franken, arguably the wisest and most experienced man in Christendom, just because he doesn't like him for his stupid and childish reasons? Such an unfitting end to the most interesting character after the days of the Gardener. Bah, even if he didn't like Albie, there were a thousand better uses for him than banishing him to Istria. Also, Gottfried probably doesn't even realize just how correct his foretelling truly is.

It was nice seeing some action from Western Europe as well, seems that the Capets are about to return to their scheming ways...not really surprised about the Scottish Komnenids, I believe BT hinted at that in one of the earlier interims.

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

I'd say Rome will lose much of its Western holdings, but not totally fall.
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

This cannot be the end of the von Frankens. 20 theoretical internet bucks says we're going to see them again.
    GM and Last of the Carolingians in:
    Sunday night MP Megacampaign: God Will Know His Own
    The Great Game III MP Mega-Campaign: Children of the Fatherland , Day of Glory (finished)
    Proprietor of one Lord Strange Cookie. , WritAAR of the Week: Feb. 6, 2011

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vadermath View Post
    Wow. I've read this story for a while now, but I don't believe I've ever wanted a character to die as I now want Andronikos to. I mean, banishing Albrecht von Franken, arguably the wisest and most experienced man in Christendom, just because he doesn't like him for his stupid and childish reasons? Such an unfitting end to the most interesting character after the days of the Gardener. Bah, even if he didn't like Albie, there were a thousand better uses for him than banishing him to Istria. Also, Gottfried probably doesn't even realize just how correct his foretelling truly is.

It was nice seeing some action from Western Europe as well, seems that the Capets are about to return to their scheming ways...not really surprised about the Scottish Komnenids, I believe BT hinted at that in one of the earlier interims.
    I'd say we'll see Albrecht again. Perhaps not in a powerful position as he had, but he has something left of him in the story, I'm quite sure.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Well, that's a sorry end for a great man. His son is of course completely right. One generation without some genious holding it all more or less in place and it implodes. Will make for an excellent EU3 game!

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Well I for one totally understand Albrecht's exile. Andronikos can't really trust him to allow him to rule freely. And the last thing Andronikos needs is to constantly have a second in command trying to tell him what to do all the time, honestly. He's gone and attempted to consolidate his power, That'd be for naught if he still has his stepdad telling him what to do all the time, and probably embarassing him in front of the army or other important folks by doing so. But to kill him might be a bit too bloodthirsty even for Andronikos, and he doesn't really need to die, and he doesn't have to worry about him trying to start trouble, he's on borrowed time at this point anyways, and even IF he somehow teamed up with his son and tried to rebel, it'd be ridiculous at this point to try that.

Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsch27 View Post
    and he doesn't have to worry about him trying to start trouble,
    Question of course is how much loyalty he still holds within the state machine?
    The Great Game III MP Mega-Campaign: Children of the Fatherland , Day of Glory (finished)

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenWall View Post
    Question of course is how much loyalty he still holds within the state machine?
    Well, even if he DID still manage to have control over some of the state, what would be the purpose of trying to make a move? Albrecht's not going to live long enough to claim the throne, and he certainly wouldn't want Gabriel to win, after all this. And he obviously isn't going to try and give his son the throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsch27 View Post
    Well, even if he DID still manage to have control over some of the state, what would be the purpose of trying to make a move? Albrecht's not going to live long enough to claim the throne, and he certainly wouldn't want Gabriel to win, after all this. And he obviously isn't going to try and give his son the throne.
    True, but I can't quite see him just settling down either...

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenWall View Post
    True, but I can't quite see him just settling down either...
    Perhaps, but I think he's pragmatic enough to realize any efforts are really for naught, and he might as well spend his time just enjoying his last years, rather than wasting them on plots that will most likely be ended halfway through. I'd hope so, anyways, I'd rather him be able to die peacefully, he was a good enough sort really.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I fell behind for a few pages. Glad to have caught back up.

I enjoyed the updates on the Battle between Andronikis and Gabriel, it'll be interesting to see what Gabriel does now. It seems he's being forced to make the choice of either withdrawing from Western Anatolia or marching headlong into the superior loyalist army.

Meanwhile it was quite interesting to see you starting up the next story arch - a Latin coalition could well bring down the Roman Empire that has been sapped by Civil strife.

Also, Woot! Go Scotland!

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

Scotland is apparently working nicely to fill the power vacuum left behind by absent French kings... I wonder how long it will be until there is a Scottish king who is charismatic enough to reach out for the remaining English barons, and toss out the French for good.

Oh and VERY NICE with that battle My work productivity yesterday plummeted because there was so much for me to catch on in the story.

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Nice updates per usual BT!

Say I was going to ask a request but would it be okay for a future taster update if you got an indepth map of the English counties and colour them in for which sphere they are part of? Such as which counties are under Scotland/France, etc? Just for extra flavour of course. Plus it helps us that are IRL on this Scottish/French border see if we're speaking Gaellic or French.

Also, any chance we could have a review of which hand each Emperor preferred to use? I know its a bit silly but I was looking at which handedness U.S Presidents were and the idea intrigued me.

I was thinking Nikolaios/Manuel/Andronikos/Basil would probably be left handers. Thomas I/Thomas II/Thomas III were probably right handed. Demetrious and Nikephoros most likely ambidexterious.

Blasted Conniving Roman General_BT's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Ksim3000 - Hey again! Well, I'm not quite sure what hand each emperor would use! I haven't thought about that at all... I might do the county map of England later on either in the 14th century or the start of EU3...

Leviathan07 - Hahaha! Well, the next update won't be done for a bit, so hopefully your work productivity can go up..... It'd require a charismatic king matched with a an uncharismatic or weak French counterpart... or a long series of campaigns.

Or France getting broken by someone else.

Tommy4ever - Latin Europe has a great deal of power. The problem is getting it mobilized and organized. Drogo Capet tried and failed, as did Pope Innocent II, to an extent. Can Pope Julius do any better?

Kirsch27 - I think that's what Andronikos was thinking--Albrecht is in his late 60s, his years are clearly creeping up on him, he's been discredited and his allies have abandoned him. He's counting that in Istria he can't rebuild his presence enough to be a threat. Some part of Andie I think can't bring himself to kill his stepfather--if only because Albrecht did teach him most of what he knows... however, we'll have to see if that's the smart decision, because...

Frozenwall - Gottfried is still there, and evidently, Gottfried has some skills of his own (he has survived being dangled in front of the Arpads with a "Come get me" sign symbolically above his head). Even if Albrecht passes peacefully, Gottfried could be a threat. And if Gottfried and Albrecht unite, and Albrecht has enough years left, things could get ugly.

Qorten - The empire is certainly more shaky and perilous than it looks. Gabriel has been pushed back (for now), but in an empire this large, rebellion and discontent is always smoldering somewhere. Years of war (Since Basil's death in 1189, the empire has been at war from 1191-1192, 1193-1197, 1201-1220, 1229-1240, 1242-1247, and 1258-present... that's roughly 25 years of peace without at least one, if not multiple campaigns, in the past 74 years..) have made a huge dent in imperial finances, and we'll shortly see the lengths Andronikos will have to go to even have a chance to raise the funds he wants for his grand projects...

Nikolai - Albrecht is old, but nothing I've described so far mentions ill health... he could reasonably be seen again, even if the hourglass is against him...

asd21593 - The West has been pacified for now, but as we've seen, Spain and Italy both have so far been cesspools of dissent and revolt against the Komnenids. Its safe to say that even if Andronikos can keep them down, it'll take a great deal of effort, and as was said, someone along the line will fail to keep them in line...

vadermath - Considering all Albrecht gave to the Empire, it is an unjust end. Andronikos wants the spotlight for himself, and no one else--he has grand designs, but he's young, and all sorts of things can and probably will go wrong. If the two of them had worked together, the Komnenid Empire likely would have survived till the end of the story, it's safe to say. The Empire's at a crossroads, where it needs another Nikolaios, prepared to sacrifice themselves to create a legacy. Andronikos is decidedly NOT a Nikolaios...

Enewald - Not much mapwise has changed since the last dynatoi map... though start of next chapter a new one will be forthcoming...

RGB - Gottfried doesn't know everything, but his prediction about things eventually falling apart isn't that sage a prediction. Neither is the prediction that a slew of stresses could strike at once. It's called being a pessimist... about like saying "someday, it's going to rain..."

Nehekara -A sense of bitterness? Yes. Perspective? Perhaps--he at least realizes he can't seize everything at once, and that something as grand as gaining at throne takes time and patience...

Zzzzz... - Not yet, and this would be the major roadblock to them taking the throne, even if they had more lands. As it stands, Antemios has gained several parcels of lands, but by land he's still not the greatest of Scottish lords...

Enewald - Yup... there's a myriad of foes at the gates, and sooner or later the gatekeeper will sleep...

4th Dimension - Not a Roman ruler, just a Regent until the majority of the young Dunkeld heir...Duncan likely picked Antemios simply because his Orthodoxy meant he was ineligible to try to steal the throne from under his grandson's nose...

FlyingDutchie - Something definitely stayed Andie's hand. We'll have to see whether it comes back to haunt him or those that follow him on the throne...

Vesimir - Gabriel is down, but definitely not out. The majority of his army escaped, and even if he goes back to Persia, he'll be able to raise a new force, barring a Mongol invasion...

The next update is coming slowly... couple pages done only. Still looks like a probably Friday posting date!
    Awards
    My AARs:
    The Good One - Rome AARisen, a Byzantine AAR (Third map epilogue, 5-02-2012!)
    Table of Contents
    The Funny One (In Theory): Vikan Vojislavljevic is a Fool (Dead)
    The HOI2 One (Dead): Two Alexanders: Greece in the Age of Conflict (HOI2-Doomsday)
    The Teenage Girl One: Dear Diary, by Helene Palialogos (NEW UPDATE 06-10-10!)

Quote Originally Posted by General_BT View Post
    vadermath - Considering all Albrecht gave to the Empire, it is an unjust end. Andronikos wants the spotlight for himself, and no one else--he has grand designs, but he's young, and all sorts of things can and probably will go wrong. If the two of them had worked together, the Komnenid Empire likely would have survived till the end of the story, it's safe to say. The Empire's at a crossroads, where it needs another Nikolaios, prepared to sacrifice themselves to create a legacy. Andronikos is decidedly NOT a Nikolaios...
    True, but I doubt we'll be seeing a Nikolaios any time soon, if ever. I mean, the more powerful the Komnenid royal family gets (and right now that power is at ridiculous heights, being the most powerful and numerous dynasty in Europe), the more arrogant, proud, and self-certain its members (and thus Emperors) get. Who would show more humility, caution and wisdom: A Nikolaios who has a growing, but still relatively endangered Empire on his hands, or an Andronikos who stands at the helm of the most powerful nation on Earth? The early Emperors were raised as children in a much smaller Empire, which still had mighty foes to worry about, instead of internal bickering. Thus they learned more caution and foresight, compared to the later Emperors who, as successful and talented as some of them were, had a much larger amount of arrogance and self-certainty, being raised in a (seemingly) unstoppable and wealthy behemoth of an Empire. Over the last century, the Emperors and the dynatoi have shifted their diplomatic and intrigue focus away from international, and onto internal matters, which has resulted in the numerous internal conflicts (some of which had evolved into civil wars) which have plagued Byzantium these last few decades. So, IMHO, it will require a period of major decadence and weakness for the Empire to finally be graced by another extremely wise Emperor, like the Megaloprepis or Nikolaios of old.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2

*Shivers* I'm having withdrawls...
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen.

Second Lieutenant Avalanchemike's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and Gold
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I distinctly recall threatening you well over a century ago with a spoon if I did not receive updates soon.

I found mah spoon.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by von Sachsen View Post
    *Shivers* I'm having withdrawls...
    Same. I mean, I haven't had anything to read by newspapers for over a week now!

Blasted Conniving Roman General_BT's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Sadly the update is probably going to be delayed--I'd say its about 80% done text wise, no graphics done yet. Now that I have a new graphics card, let's just say it got waylaid by Jim Raynor...

Look for it to be up by Monday or Tuesday at the latest though...
    Awards
    My AARs:
    The Good One - Rome AARisen, a Byzantine AAR (Third map epilogue, 5-02-2012!)
    Table of Contents
    The Funny One (In Theory): Vikan Vojislavljevic is a Fool (Dead)
    The HOI2 One (Dead): Two Alexanders: Greece in the Age of Conflict (HOI2-Doomsday)
    The Teenage Girl One: Dear Diary, by Helene Palialogos (NEW UPDATE 06-10-10!)

+ Reply to Thread