• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
another wonderful shift of tone, I liked the bureaucratic war waged in the first half, status created by indifference, implied links or the size of entourage. But Winthrop does indeed now face a challenge to ensure the President passes up on the dramatic in favour of the plausible.

Do you have the time, this will take 2 weeks (?) back to America, time for decision, time for communication ... one hopes the Germans will allow for such leisure - though in reality I guess that a German offensive would be good news, opening the way to a generalised counterattack in any case

I think I do need to read more about Roosevelt ...

loki100 - oh, no - Roosevelt won't wait. He and Winthrop will be burning up the telegraph lines daily. I think it will only take a few days for Roosevelt to decide to let the generals go ahead.

'A Berlin!'

No, wait, where have we heard that before...

King of Men - one of the things I like about Winthrop is that his narrowmindedness becomes an asset. Whenever he has to go into someone else's area of expertise he turns it into a bureaucratic/administrative fight, which he knows how to win. :)

An interesting choice to paint Winthrop as a man who basically has no grasp of military affairs - considering that all of us readers presume to have at least some understanding of strategy (or otherwise we wouldn't be playing these games). It made for a nice point of view, especially as Winthrop still goes on to completely dominate the meeting, despite the fact that he is utterly unversed in the arts of warfare.

I'm trying to think of a way to adapt the old 'The pen is mightier than the sword' for this occasion, but I can't quite get it right. 'The bureaucrat's date-stamp' doesn't do Winthrop justice - he's not a simple paper-pusher, after all. :)

Winthrop is rather full of himself, but given his talents and the situation, it seems permissible.

Wonderful scene and an insight into bureaucratic (in)fighting that is hard to find on these boards.

Director: These were coded as the ‘C’ group and named for elements associated with a color: Carbon, Chromium, Copper, Cadmium and Cobalt. .. Chromium ranks next in difficulty... Copper .. made them uneasy. .. (the generals) had no interest in Cadmium. Cobalt, ..This is the one they want, Winthrop thought – the one they believe in. “I believe that you have already marshaled your arguments in favor of Cobalt,” .. – but we can inform it.

very interesting. not only is he on the side of the Generals in this issue, he will do everything in his power to assist them ! awesome, in multiple facets !

so, the only question to remain is, does he succeed ?

magnificent
updates (and i have not missed a single one!)

J. Passepartout - I did have a lot of fun writing those updates. Winthrop is very parochial but thinks himself very wordly - but he is able to think his way through one of the biggest problems of governance, how to make a decision while lacking sufficient information.

There is a suburb of Boston called Winthrop... named for John Winthrop, second governor of the Bay Colony. He was one of the founders of Boston. So the Winthrops go way back... in American History terms, that is. Two hundred and fifty years is just an afternoon for Europe.

Stuyvesant - that's an interesting take and I agree with you. It was a calculated way to present the generals' plans to an 'outsider', which we as readers always are.

Winthrop may not have dominated the meeting but he certainly thinks (um, knows) the world revolves around him. Bureaucratic ju-jitsu wins because the generals can't quite understand where he is coming from or how he thinks.

GhostWriter - good to hear from you!

Winthrop devotes his life to supporting and serving his boss - if he has any other life we haven't seen it. Winning the War will be good for Roosevelt, therefore Winthrop will see that it happens - whatever the ultimate cost to other people. Winthrop has the blinkered view and missionary zeal of a true fanatic in his goals, but moderation and velvet-gloves in his methods. A formidable opponent, I think.

I have to play the game out a bit more before we get more updates.

By the way, that speech from Roosevelt is a 'lightly' edited version of one he actually gave.

J. Passepartout - I did have a lot of fun writing those updates. Winthrop is very parochial but thinks himself very wordly - but he is able to think his way through one of the biggest problems of governance, how to make a decision while lacking sufficient information.

There is a suburb of Boston called Winthrop... named for John Winthrop, second governor of the Bay Colony. He was one of the founders of Boston. So the Winthrops go way back... in American History terms, that is. Two hundred and fifty years is just an afternoon for Europe.

Ha, living in the town named after yourself? Too vain. Watch me pretend I hadn't forgotten about the town of Winthrop, even though I've been there.

Ah Winthrop...masterfully managed!

If only he were a major cog in my business organization...never underestimate the skill of supporting and enabling an organization to achieve its goals...

Brilliant update!

Well, I had composed brilliantly witty feedback, but the forum monster ate it. So let me see if I can get something to post:

J. Passepartout - I didn't realize there was a town of that name until I read your post and went to look. Originally I was going to name him Winthorp. but the character from MASH was more in my mind.

It isn't vain to live in a town named for yourself, but it can be de classe to let anyone else live there. :)

TheExecuter - I was reading a lot of PG Wodehouse since my sister gave me a compendium for Christmas. I suppose there could be a little of Jeeves in Winthrop's makeup. :)

Glad you enjoyed the post. Winthrop isn't quite the man he started out to be but I have long since given up arguing with my characters.

cezar87 - Seriously, I do find myself 'blocking out' the roles and places for the characters in the overall script, only to find them haring off in speeches and actions that throw all of my plans into the wastebasket. It isn't usually that dire, but to one degree or another the characters often 'wander off script'.

When that happens I have found that trying to corral them and force them back on the prepared path is met with resistance. I find it very hard to write well when my characters are unhappy. :)

loki100 - I doubt there is room for the Empress of Blandings to make an appearance here. Properly speaking, a being of her magnificence - one may legitimately and perhaps reverently intone, 'Gravitas' - would deserve a setting entirely to herself.

The telephone in the Taft residence was more severely relegated than in the most severe English manor house. It was located in a small closet off the butler’s pantry and only that worthy manservant would deign – with hands properly gloved – to touch it. It was therefore not remarkable that no-one in the house heard its persistent ringing, nor exceptional that the Colonel in charge of the night shift at the War Department should have dispatched a courier before placing the call. At age forty-seven Taft was a relatively young man for his demanding post but his slow movements and deliberate speech overlay a powerful intellect. Inventiveness was foreign to him, nor was formulating policy pleasing to him; instead his was a lawyer’s mind, a clerical grasp of minutae and precedent.

It was rare for him to be awoken, even now that the country was at war and hundreds of thousands of American soldiers were in combat on distant continents. Taft very sensibly took the position that the generals knew the business of fighting better than he, and deferred most time-sensitive matters to General Adna Chaffee. But the Chief of the Army Staff was in Europe overseeing Funston’s offensive, and in that circumstance the War Department had decided to err upon the side of caution – hence the unheeded bell of the telephone and the insistent ringing of the house bell at the front door.

William Galen Taft was soundly asleep when the butler came to wake him. His wife had years before repaired to a separate bedroom to escape the elephantine bugling of his snores, night-time noises amplified rather than muffled by his too-abundant flesh. Taft considered himself to be a moderate man in all aspects save that of food, which he consumed with the worshipful adoration of a fanatic priest whose altar was a sideboard. Dinner the evening before had been eight courses, each with its own wine – Taft was fond of champagne, which he therefore reserved for special occasions – and center-pieced by roast pheasants, of which Taft had consumed three. It was difficult then for the butler to tactfully awaken a man so soundly asleep – a man who slept the deep and untroubled sleep of those whose life is a paean of contentment.

He was of course eventually awakened, though more time must pass before he would be alert, vertical and garbed in more than his pyjamas. The butler had roused the rest of the staff before ascending the stairs to his master’s chamber, so hot coffee and fresh muffins with butter and jam were waiting in the study when Taft lumbered down the main staircase. The courier had declined to sample either beverage or pastry and was waiting with an envelope which Taft slit with a letter-opener of Madagascan rosewood. The message was neither long nor complex yet Taft stood pondering it at some length, working out the implications with deliberation.

“Will there be a reply, sir?” the courier inquired, rather anxious to get some coffee for himself whether in this house or somewhere else.

“Yes.” Taft waited a long minute more before tapping the message to his forehead, almost as if that would speed the transfer of information. “Be seated, son. Have some coffee – take a biscuit. I will write up my reply… two, I think. Once you have delivered the one to Colonel Pruitt, with my compliments, you are to take the other to the Executive Mansion. You may leave it with a clerk there; no necessity to awaken the President.”

The butler laid out writing implements on Taft’s meticulously ordered desk while a maid poured coffee and served the pastries. Following Taft’s example the courier took two; it was looking to be a long morning with only a dim prospect of another breakfast at the White House to relieve the hours until lunch, and the courier had a young soldier’s appetite.

“This first is to Colonel Pruitt. Deliver it to his hand only. Say that I will be able to receive him at ten o’clock, in my office at the War Department, should he require a consultation. This one is for the President or one of his staff only – not to be delivered to a member of the mansion’s staff. You need not await a reply.”

Taft sat for a quarter-hour at his desk, staring out at the dark street that bent in a circle around the equestrian statue of Winfield Scott. It was taken from his service in the Mexican War; in later life Scott would no more have been able to ride horseback than Taft himself. He drank his coffee, now cool, and sampled a pastry, but even this could not console him. At last he grasped the ivory handle between a giant thumb and forefinger, delicately shaking the tiny silver bell that invariably fetched a servant.

“Dawkins, I desire you to send for Mister Reimers. Harry has the address, I believe.” Harry was the coachman who lived in the little house behind the Taft residence. Once he had served the needs of two houses, but Taft’s official duties had required his services full-time. He would not thank Dawkins for waking him before dawn, but it seemed there would be little peace for anyone this morning. “Ask Mister Reimers to come here immediately, if it is convenient. I should like to speak with him before I go in to the office.”

Dawn had come and gone, pastel colors deepening to the whites and golds of full morning sunshine before Dawkins was able to usher Friedrich Reimers into Taft’s study. The short, dapper man was no longer Swiss nor Austrian nor German but could trace his family and business contacts into all three areas. He had served in the armies of Bavaria, Austria and Imperial Germany before emigrating to Texas. Roosevelt had met him nearly a decade ago on a hunting trip, had taken a liking to the soldier-turned-cattle baron, and consulted him whenever business brought him east. Taft saw the mindset of the German General Staff as an opaque mystery (and that of the American generals as only slightly more comprehensible) and found that talking to Reimer helped him better grasp why the Germans did what they did. He laid out the contents of the message for Reimer with little hesitation: even if the man’s oft-expressed contempt for the new Kaiser was a sham, it would be hard for him to convey any useful information to the enemy in a timely manner.

“They are massing for a stroke,” Reimer said at last, fingers steepled beneath a moustache gone white but still clipped with military precision. “The, how do you say, appreciation of your Colonel Pruitt is quite prescient... I would judge it to be plausible. It would be entirely in keeping with good practice to hide the movement of a large body of troops in this way. Some of them are undoubtedly headed for France – but for this they would not require the use of railways so near to your lines. So the movement is made openly but the misdirection - the art of the trick - is more subtle. What you see hides what is to come.” He deliberated for a moment longer, gaining time to think by clipping and warming a cigar. “It is perhaps too early in the day for a cigar, but…” Reimer shrugged. “With your permission?” Once the cigar was lit he drew meditatively on it, then shrugged again.

“You have had matters your own way for many months. The Generals have been unsure of their best response, hampered by commitments in what would have been more important theaters. But now, you have landed all your troops. You have linked up your beach-heads in Belgium and Holland and Ostfriesland. You have moved your reserves and telegraphed your next likely moves. And so…” he exhaled, thin streams of smoke trickling from his nostrils. “They have decided the time is propitious. They will strike. This is, how do you say, the common practice in kriegspiel – in war practice. If your enemy masses for a blow, strike quickly somewhere else. You may pierce a thinly-held defense, or at the least throw off your opponent’s aim and timing.”

Reimer looked out the window, then returned his gaze to Taft’s face. “Geography is all; it determines everything. If your blow is in the east it must follow the line of the Elbe – you have not said so, but it must be. Their riposte will be screened by the Rhine. I think it likely to be on the east bank, but I cannot say for certain. If they split your front at Kleves, then they will strike for the Baltic – or Amsterdam – or fall upon any isolated troops in Belgium. But this is their answer. You may threaten Berlin, or take it – that will not sway the Generals. It may panic the civil servants, but they are not the masters of Germany in wartime. This is the answer of the Generals, Mister Taft. They will not beat, nor parry – but lunge instead.”

He smiled around his cigar. "En garde!"

I've been studying my save-game in preparation to playing out a long stretch. And guess what I found developing? That long-anticipated German counter-strike, is what. Remember all those German troops marching west? Many of them are headed for France. But a lot of them are going to hook north at Kleves. There's a nasty little battle going on there - about 75,000 Germans attacking 100,000 American troops n a province I control. But add another 100,000 Germans or so to that and it becomes a running sore - or a defeat that cuts my front in two, since I can't move through Dutch territory and the Germans can. At best I'll need to pull divisions out and reinforce them, and I can't do that without fresh units to take their place.

So I'm scrambling to find reinforcements for the battle. And trying not to rob my 'Cobalt' offensive, since pure overwhelming crushing power is the only way I think I can rapidly get to Berlin.

Heh. Who thought the AI could do something this clever?

clever AI.

So much that is deeply enjoyable in there, all the details about Taft slowly building up quite a complex picture of the man as well as the emerging details of just what this crisis is all about. Like the logic of if you want to hide something, do it in the open where everyone can see what you are doing (& then misunderstand)

Last edited:
Well, this update was tense, and will remain so until the blow finally comes. You did a very good job of conveying the tension you probably feel now that you've realized what's coming. Congratulations! :D

William Galen Taft was soundly asleep when the butler came to wake him. His wife had years before repaired to a separate bedroom to escape the elephantine bugling of his snores, night-time noises amplified rather than muffled by his too-abundant flesh. Taft considered himself to be a moderate man in all aspects save that of food, which he consumed with the worshipful adoration of a fanatic priest whose altar was a sideboard. Dinner the evening before had been eight courses, each with its own wine – Taft was fond of champagne, which he therefore reserved for special occasions – and center-pieced by roast pheasants, of which Taft had consumed three. It was difficult then for the butler to tactfully awaken a man so soundly asleep – a man who slept the deep and untroubled sleep of those whose life is a paean of contentment.

Love it! You really do have a masterful way of knocking words together.

Yeah, I keep wavering between thinking the Germans need a good solid thrashing so that you can safely pursue the evil masterminds off in Russia or wherever they are, and thinking that boy it'll be tough, why not cut bait and just start nosing around without the distraction of a war. I was optimistic and then this. But at this point, the war is so deeply committed to that you might as well try and finish it off.

Well, I put up this skinny little post to help explain why I wasn't posting... and I get feedback from the best people a writer could ask for as readers.

You guys are great.

loki100 - Taft makes me smile. :) I think he's gotten a bad rap in history from TR turning on him... which Roosevelt was prone to do. TR could be wildly enthusiastic for a man one day and swing 180 degrees if he thought there was some slight or breach of promise. Taft was not a 'replacement' Roosevelt but instead his own man. Probably a decent president though not a great one. TR just never forgave him for having his own ideas.

cezar87 - I'm already managing campaigns in Africa, Asia and all along the North Sea coast. I've got demands for troops I can't meet and I think only a limited time to mount 'Cobalt' successfully. So of course the AI pulls this trick.

I think it was in 1915 that Falkenhayn decided to bleed the French armies white with a Verdun campaign. He didn't realize the German army would take equal casualties, or just thought they could better bear the cost. I think that is what is going on here... If I'm not very careful the Kleves will become a giant sucking black hole for manpower which I can't afford to lose or pay for.

And darn it... this is the same trick I've been playing on the AI. Get it to commit troops and then swamp and crush them. How dare this silly robot play the same card on me!

Brian Shanahan - as I said above, I have a soft spot for Taft. I think the scene is good for 'men of a certain age and position'. It amuses me to think of him forced to have a telephone in the house and putting it away where no-one will hear it ring. I made that up, by the way... I have no idea how the actual Taft felt about telephones.

J. Passepartout - Germany is currently in second place with me holding onto first by virtue of the highest industrial score. It could be that I could let them dismantle France and still win, but I think that's not the way to bet. Since I am committed to defending France, I need to beat the Germans - not just badly enough to win this war but to avoid having to fight it again every 5 years to the end of the game. I'm not sure that's possible but I don't know what else to do. Also I just plain hate a bully, and Germany (through the Dutch) definitely started this fight. I would rather get on with the story-behind-the-game but I don't see how I can just walk away from France. Any thoughts on how to resolve the war?