• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some wonderful updates. The update where Frost was showing some friendly emotions towards Dallas surprised me, I thought she had undiscovered humanity. I didn't think of stnylan's perceptive question, whether she approved of him as a peer, or as a well-trained pet.
“For Thor’s sake, Kierianne, he’s a pet.”

“He is my pet. Don’t cross me!”
Couldn't ask for a clearer answer to that question than that. :D Also, while it is somewhat disappointing that Frost is still the psychopathic puppetmaster I thought she was, it's also comforting to know I'm still alright for despising her. :) Though I do approve of her deft handling of the Calhoun Crisis. Politicking can be so much fun.

In the same vein, the British attempt to engineer a satisfying compromise on the Oregon Territory has my appreciation as well. Fortuitously, the Brits seem to want the same thing as President Dallas (make that Mme. Frost), so I imagine the 49the parallel compromise is a done deal.

I wonder if Frost wants to kick off the American Civil War so that she can take over the South, or if she wants it to thoroughly militarize the North. Imagine what an overtly imperialistic United States could've done in 1865, if they'd put their mind to it... Now imagine what would happen if Frost were in the driver's seat... Sherman's Continental March, from the border of Mexico all the way down to Terra del Fuego, perhaps? ;)

Quintilian - I don;t think there is any question that Frost has moved over the line to psychotic. Other people are not fully real to her. As long as she gets what she wants, she is all sweetness and light.

On of my secret joys is tucking historical personages into new places.

Fulcrumvale - That is a very good question but it depends on some assumptions... We shall most certainly see her give it her best shot.

Lord Durham - There have been several 'Nordic' epithets. I can't see the Knights civilization being pagan but they certainly understand the power of religion and its hold on the human heart - hence the quasi-religious trappings of the Knights. Not a perfect answer to your extremely cogent point, but the best I can offer right now.

It was a very un-politically correct wink at the old B westerns for F-Troop to have all the Indians played by actors who used very broad Jewish 'borscht-belt' accents. Their names were pretty funny, too. :D

I think it is safe to say that you can't predict whether she will keep her cool and calculate the odds or just kill someone. I find it interesting that she acts to prevent Wigfall from embarassing Dallas and, by extension, herself.

coz1 - hey, as long as she gets away with it, whacking someone occasionally IS her fallback plan. Please note however that she sends Messoune to do the actual dirty deed.

GhostWriter - Frost would be perfectly happy to see Wigfall get slavery into Texas but if the Empire steps in then the American administration that lets that happen will be torn limb from limb, in the polls and possibly in actuality.

Draco Rexus - to me the amazing thing about the British Empire was how few men built it and maintained it. When it came to playing multiple sides against one another the Empire had no equal.

Texas will be the issue that just won't go away. The man running British foreign policy is Lord Aberdeen, and he is not keen on wild adventures that might get the Empire into a serious war. If Pakenham were foolish enough to encourage overtures from Texas, Aberdeen would put his foot down and stop it.

We shall hear more of Texas, and soon.

Stuyvesant - stnylan and I had a phone conversation after his last comment - I wanted some perspective on where I was headed - and it seemed to me I needed to clarify the Frost-Dallas relationship. I think she cares for him as much as she can... but yeah, he counts for no more than a loyal dog to her.

I think she is a good practical politician who likes to have time to plan. When startled she tends to react - um - violently.

Mme Frost intends to end up on top of an American country that has as centralized a power structure as possible. More would be telling. ;)

Certify is such a delicate way of putting it. Like inhume, conclude, annul. A very civilised term, all in all. Very nice touch. :)

texas1.jpg

Texas and the borderlands

The Dallas Administration, 1845-1849

In the words of one commentator the Dallas administration was, ‘a china-cabinet stuffed with pretty portraits of famous men painted on brittle porcelain dishes, decorative without being very useful.’ But the death of Louis Wigfall tumbled the cabinet over and irreparably smashed the crockery, bringing to an end any influence those officers might have exerted upon public opinion or events. The suspicious nature of the death – an apparent mugging that ended in gunfire – and the convenient timing of its occurrence set tongues to wagging. Newspapers hostile to the administration kept the speculation alive, and the absence of evidence of any involvement by anyone in the Dallas camp was twisted to become the absence of proof of innocence. As the mystery lingered and festered, the political vultures gathered.

Southern Democrats lost no time in blaming Northern abolitionists while side-swiping the ‘do-nothing’ Democrats of the North and East, with up-and-coming orator William Yancey of Alabama eulogizing Wigfall as, ‘a martyr in the holy cause of the maintenance of Southern rights.’ Vowing that the acquisition of Texas had become, ‘a sacred duty and a pilgrim’s cause,’ the Southern, slave-owning, expansionist wing of the Democratic Party demanded the immediate annexation of Texas. Moderate Democrats, including the President, were able to stall any decision by repeating the arguments that Texans had not asked for annexation, nor would Mexico permit that action, short of war. Paralysis in domestic affairs was the practical result of this, with the Whigs in the Senate and House playing the ‘hinge vote’ on critical issues like the tariff, siding now with Northern Democrats and occasionally with the Southern bloc.

The peaceful settlement of the Oregon question along the border of the 49th parallel did allow the Dallas administration to bask in the light of a solid diplomatic accomplishment. Both the United States and Britain were able to claim a tactical victory and the public of both nations seemed satisfied with the results of the compromise. At the conclusion of the talks, newly-appointed Secretary of State James Buchanan suggested the two nations should confer and co-operate on other issues in the Americas as they might arise. While unwilling to concede that Britain might ever require American assistance, Sir Richard Pakenham approved of the idea in principle and warmly congratulated his American counterparts for their fraternal good feelings.

In Europe, Prussia and Austria were persuaded to seek the good offices of King Willem of the Netherlands to arbitrate their dispute with Denmark. The settlement was years in the making and fully satisfied no-one, but arbitration did succeed in preventing war over the disputed territories.

Europe may have been calm but North America grew increasingly turbulent. Large numbers of American settlers had been moving into the fertile Texas lands for two decades and now were spreading south and west into the disputed borderlands claimed both by Texas and by Mexico. A sizable fraction of these new settlers were displaced Southerners who never ceased to clamor for the legalization of slavery, but even those indifferent to the slave question were loud in their demand for annexation as an American state. Border raiders and ruffians, bandits and outlaws of all descriptions joined fugitive Indians and squatter settlers to create an ungovernable and potentially explosive mixture. With the ‘filibustering’ example of Haiti and Madagascar in recent memory, Southern orators urged Southern men to ‘conquer’ Texas with ballots if possible, but with guns and steel at need.

The peripatetic, self-proclaimed and irrepressible President Santa Anna of Mexico sent regiments to clear out the borderlands, burning farms and evicting hundreds who simply drifted back as Mexican troops moved on to the next trouble spot. Soon Santa Anna was demanding that Texas do its part to secure the border and threatening war as a consequence of inaction. The established Texans – those who had settled there before independence, and who had fought in the war against Mexico – were almost universally opposed to annexation by the United States, dictation from Mexico, or further de-stabilizing emigration as all three factors were seen to lead inevitably to war, a war which would be fought on the burning ruins of their homes. President Kenneth Anderson of Texas was utterly unable to comply with Santa Anna’s ‘request’ in any event; Texas possessed no standing army, had no funds in its treasury, and could not count on a militia to carry out the evictions.

To settle the boundary question (and also the pressing issue of Texan debts unpaid since independence), Secretary of State Buchanan called for a meeting of British, American, Mexican and Texan representatives in Washington. Convened in November of 1847 under the gavel of Sir Richard Pakenham, the conference produced many high-flown sentiments, some easing of payment terms of Texan debts, and nothing in the way of concrete settlement of the emigration and boundary issues.

As the elections of 1848 began to draw near it seemed the United States had never been so divided or so bereft of significant leadership. Dallas was unlikely to be nominated for a second term; Buchanan was too closely identified with the administration for election in his own right. Polk was seriously ill as well as being poisonously unpopular with Northern Democrats, and Calhoun was virtually exiled from the party for his part in the Oregon controversy. Casting about for anyone of more than minimal stature, the convention at last nominated Senator Lewis Cass of Michigan for the Presidency.

In opposition the Whigs could seemingly produce no-one capable of uniting the southern, eastern and western elements of the party while still attracting enough stray Democratic votes to win. Meeting in Cincinnati, Ohio, the convention stalled on ballot after ballot with no candidate approaching a majority. At the last it fell to former President Henry Clay to provide the necessary leadership. After the convention’s twenty-second indecisive ballot it was announced that Clay would address the delegates on the following day. To a packed house, the grand old Star of the West gave a rousing speech in favor of his long-time rival, Massachusetts Senator Daniel Webster. In the hurrahs that followed Clay’s endorsement, Millard Fillmore sprang to his feet and, in an obviously choreographed but still effective move, pledged the New York delegation to ‘Webster and Victory’.

The major figures of the current administration, Dallas, Polk and Buchanan, played no part in the campaign. Early attempts to campaign for Cass were met with cries of, “Did your wig fall,” or “Kill another one for Texas!” As was still common, Webster did not actively campaign but every other star in the Whig firmament was pressed into service. Clay, despite his age, undertook an extensive speaking tour and even General Winfield Scott was enlisted in the effort. The final tipping point was the release of Webster’s letter to John Quincy Adams, voicing qualified support for the annexation of Texas, ‘should such be the wish of the people residing there.’

With the lowest voter turnout of any Presidential election to date, the Webster-Fillmore ticket scraped to victory by the tiniest of margins; had not John C Calhoun’s National Democratic splinter party pulled Alabama and South Carolina from the Democratic fold, the election would likely have gone to Cass.

Not long after the election the nation’s newspapers were bannered with more somber news: General Zachary Taylor, conqueror of Haiti and infamous pacifier of Richmond, had died quietly in his sleep while commanding federal troops on the Texas border. So it was that dignitaries of both parties gathered in the soggy cold of a Washington winter to pay tribute to his memory, and to confer. For betwixt the election and the inauguration the Fates had seized control of the carriage of state and were driving it to Hell…

… or Texas.

Last edited:
stnylan - thank you - it is a pleasure to have such discerning readers. I didn't want to use sanction or any term I knew of. Certify seems sufficiently opaque I think.

J. Passepartout - Wigfall was absolutely one of the most fire-eating proponents of Southern secession and one of the most shameless defenders of slavery. Still... just killing someone for being inconvenient strikes me as even worse.

The tumult that is American election politics continues unabated. And a nice biblical flourish at the end.

Frost loses the presidency but gains Texas—and the gateway to western slavery. I’d call that a win for her.

Webster as president. That’s interesting. I've always thought the great orator would have made a good leader for the U.S. It will be intriguing to see how his term actually turns out. The deck seems rather stacked against his success though, what with the situation in Texas festering toward some bloody conclusion.

Nice ending on that post, Director. And so now Webster has the Presidency and whether he wanted a war for Texas, he's got one. At least he'll have some legitamacy, this being handed to him rather than being able to be accused of fomenting it himself (though that letter to JQA makes pretty clear his desires.)

Excellent post -- things seem to be going sideways nicely.

No, we haven't discussed Owen Parry, but I'd be happy to.

Vann

Great read, again and again. Now, Frost doesn't seem to have a tight grip over the events. Doesn't change much, the cascade down to war is more or less unavoidable, now. The question of her goals remains, though. Is she successfully progressing toward success or not? :eek:

Jape - Hi Jape! Thank you for the compliment. I think I'm still a little clumsy shifting gears but I do think the writing has improved a bit from the start.

Love your steampunk AAR but haven't gotten all the way through - can't remember if I have commented yet or not. If not, I will soon, and I urge the forum readership to check it out. (His AAR, not my comment. Well, OK, my comment will be brilliant, too. :p )

stnylan - the Democrats keep having scandals and the Whigs can't agree on anybody, so the popular vote for this election is extremely low. A few rogue members of the electoral college could have upset the apple cart, but didn't.

ComradeOm - thank you! Had a phone conversation with coz1 wherein I was complaining about how I couldn't cover four years quickly enough in narrative style yet didn't want the change of style to be rough... you have exactly figured out what I was most worried about.

I'd say Frost's impulsive action, clumsily (?) carried out by Messune, raised a lot of suspicions. Wigfall's death was just 'too' convenient. Sometimes there really IS a conspiracy!

Fulcrumvale - yeah, it isn't as though she was going to be able to keep him. Internal dissent (Polk) would probably have crippled Dallas' bid for a second term even without the Wigfall scandal.

J. Passepartout - historically Webster had made too many enemies by this time of his life. I have used Henry Clay as a peacemaker within the Whigs even though in real life the two men were rivals and enemies. I suspect there will be some 'Clay' men used to build Webster's cabinet. :)

Quintilian - by this point in our history Webster had alienated everyone. He stayed in Tyler's cabinet when all the other Whigs had gone, he fell out with Abbott Lawrence and the Boston elites, he fought with Clay and tried to make overtures to the South... in my history he plays a steadier game and, with Clay's unlooked-for help, gains the Presidency. Border states and Louisiana vote for him; Deep South states do not.

coz1 - sooner or later it seems we both must put on our hat, chaps and six-shooters and ride off into Texas. ;)

Webster no doubt sent that letter to JQA as a faint wave in the direction of Americans demanding annexation of Texas. War hasn't actually broken out, but the next posts will I hope make clear that everything short of war has come to Texas. Webster may regret making that run for the White House.

Vann the Red - for those who don't know, the hero of Owen Parry's Civil War books is a Welsh career soldier formerly of the Indian Army and now happily married and settled in Pennsylvania. He is wounded at Manassas and, while convalescing, is tapped by Seward and Lincoln to do some scouting, reporting and investigating on the domestic front. The character is superb, the writing better than fair and the plots are interesting. The author's ability to drop you into America of the 1860s in vivid, lifelike detail is astounding. These books are NOT TO BE MISSED.

Vann, your thoughts?

Nil-The-Frogg - I'm not often pleased with my writing these days but I don't think additional work was going to make that post any better. The road to war certainly seems to be a broad highway...

danielwebster.jpg

President Daniel Webster

“Welcome to the White House, Mister Webster, Mister Fillmore. Please make yourselves at home; it will be your home in fact before many more days pass.” The murmur of laughter that met the President’s jest was just loud enough to be polite, but the smiles were all genuine. None present held any ill-wishes for President Dallas save perhaps his own Vice-President. There was a rumble of chairs as the participants followed the President to the conference table and allowed liveried servants to assist them to their seats.

“We are gathered upon a sad and solemn occasion,” Dallas began. “The Army has lost a fine senior officer and the nation is bereft of a devoted son. But the death of General Taylor may not be the only tragedy we witness this winter. In Texas, bandits and rebels have incited the wrath of the government of Mexico and the situation trembles upon the sword-point of war. General Taylor, as our former commander of the troops upon the Texas border, would I believe understand that we must devote some time of mourning lest harm come to his former soldiers, and to the citizens who rely upon them for their safety.”

His gaze moved from face to face as he spoke: Secretary of State James Buchanan, placid and genial as always, sat at the President’s left hand. Seated on the right was the wasted, viperish visage of Vice-President James K Polk. At the foot of the table was the glowering mien of newly-elected President Daniel Webster, ‘Black Daniel’ in his formal blue coat and buff vest. At Webster’s right hand sat Millard Fillmore, the plump and cheerful New Yorker who would be the new Vice-President. As Webster had not yet named a Secretary of State the seat at his left was empty. In the center of the table was the extraordinarily tall and broad-framed Commanding General of the Army, Major General Winfield Scott. Across from Scott sat his adjutant and between the two were maps and ledgers.

“Through the Secretary of State, the administration has been in correspondence with President Santa Anna of Mexico and President Kenneth Anderson of Texas. The information conveyed has been… chilling. Mister Buchanan, if you would be so kind as to share this intelligence with our guests?”

“Thank you, Mister President; I should be honored.” If Buchanan was disappointed to find Webster the next President instead of himself, no trace of that emotion appeared on his face or in his voice. Buchanan had risen fast and far on ability; he could afford to wait while Dallas and Webster had their turns. “President Santa Anna demands financial compensation and the assistance of the United States in subduing the rebels and brigands operating from Texan soil.” Polk snorted loudly. “President Anderson entreats us to make no move which might incite either his citizens or the regiments of Mexico. President Santa Anna has only recently proclaimed himself; his control of Mexico, and of his army, is tenuous at best.”

“We must go in and clean out the whole rotten mess!” Polk snapped.

“And for what purpose?” Webster inquired. “That we might erect upon the bones of Mexico a half-dozen new slave states and throw the balance of the Union awry?”

“That we might extend the American flag over the soil and peoples we are destined to rule! Never shall we have peace there save the peace due a conqueror!” Polk attempted to roar but his voice was thready and weak.

“Gentlemen!” The President rapped his Masonic ring on the table-top. Polk glowered but was coughing too hard to continue speaking. “Mister Buchanan?”

“The late conference attained no lasting goal despite the good offices of Sir Richard Pakenham and Her Majesty’s government. I do not believe Santa Anna could deliver anything he might promise, though he may promise everything. And President Anderson seems to be doing nothing save trusting to the benevolence of the Mexican Army.”

“Mister President, if General Taylor was in command of our forces on the Sabine River, may I inquire as to which officer now holds that post?” Heads nodded approvingly at Fillmore’s question.

Dallas nodded at General Scott, who boomed, “Major William Worth is in acting command, sir, with a brevet promotion to brigadier general. He is a fine man and an outstanding officer. I beg leave to read to the assembly the communication received at my headquarters from that officer only this morning.”

“’From the General Commanding the Army of Observation at Fort Taylor on the Sabine River in Louisiana, to the Commanding General of the Army…” Scott paused to skim over some lines. “Sir: I have the most solemn duty to communicate to you the intelligence brought this hour by courier from Austin City courtesy of His Excellency the President of Texas. Numerous reports from reputable sources contend that Mexican troops have crossed into Texas as far as the town of Victoria. The value of property seized, burned and destroyed is said to be very high. Numerous residents are reported to have been placed under arrest and tried by Mexican military officers. Texan and American citizens are claimed injured and killed. President Anderson has requested this army to honor the treaty of alliance between our nations and move forward my base of operations onto Texan soil… I have not, as of this letter, done so.’ There is more, gentlemen, but the remainder is not perhaps as relevant. My clerk has prepared copies.”

“General Scott!” Polk’s rasp had a feverish intensity. “You must go at once to Texas and place yourself at the head of the Army. Lose not a day, but march instantly on Texas! Texas must be defended!”

“Sir, that will mean war! Mexico has never relinquished its claim to the coastal region, including Victoria!”

“And what of it, Mister Webster? Are we not at war already? Are we to suffer these outrageous provocations in silence? Are we to accept that Mexican territory begins and ends wherever Santa Anna says it does? And what will he claim tomorrow? The remainder of Texas? Louisiana? Sir, the citizens will rise and overthrow the government that attempts to restrain them from the defense of Texas!”

Dallas rapped his ring again on the tabletop. “Sir! Your outburst is unseemly. Mister Webster, will you agree with me that General Scott must repair post-haste to Louisiana, to assume command of that Army and to assure its being placed upon perfect readiness?”

“Yes!” Polk snapped. “A man may go as fast as a message, and to more effect!”

Webster coldly ignored the interruption. “Mister President, I would rather the necessity did not exist but under the circumstances… I agree that General Scott is the man we need. Let him play again the Great Pacificator, as he did when the Aroostook conflict threatened to bring war between ourselves and England. I ask – I have no right to do more – I ask only that he not lead the Army into Texas unless, in his judgment, the settlement of the crisis so requires.”

“What!” Polk’s rasp rose to a screech. “How shall these atrocities be answered, with words or with deeds!”

Dallas threw up his hands. “You see, Mister Webster, what I have labored under these past four years! I long for the day I shall hear no more of Texas! General Scott, I enjoin you to write your own orders – no other arrangement would suit our needs so fitly. We place ourselves in your hands. Go as soon as you may to Texas… Mister Webster, I ask if you will add your name to my request to the governors for volunteers to fill out the regular regiments? Whether we reap war or peace, more troops would perhaps be useful.”

Webster nodded, as slow and ponderous as a rockfall. “Aye, if your request is for no more than that, I will sign it gladly. And I join you, also, in confiding my absolute trust in General Scott. Sir, is there more you require from us?”

Scott inclined his head. “Money, supplies, fresh drafts of troops, bullocks – all of the equipage of the command will be needed, of course. I warmly welcome the offer of men to bring the regiments up to strength. It may be well also to ask the governors to start the militia to drilling, so long as competent officers are assigned. I shall work for peace, of course! But we must prepare for war.”

Last edited:
It's rather curious to see them all acting so very cordial - the transfer of power (at least for now) a peaceful and gentlemanly thing. Polk is right, however, at least as you've set this up. And I loved Scott's last line...ask a General what he needs and he'll give you a damn long list (which mostly includes more men.) ;)

Well, with the exception of Polk this all seems very gentlemanly and perfectly courteous. The lack of bruising election duel no doubt helps the cordiality, plus the fact that Dallas does seem rather charismatic in his way. "A decent chap" as we might say this side of the Pond, as we might say of John Major or Neville Chamberlain, but not necessarily a good leader or the right leader for the times. But a decent chap all the same.

I can understand his yearning not to hear anything ever again of Texas.