• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
fatmanwithcigar.jpg

A rare photograph of Donneval Makhearne taken onboard RMS Hellenic, October of 1904

Donneval Makhearne was breaking his fast at his hotel café in Berlin, looking through rain-streaked glass at gray skies, drooping, leafless trees and the steely waters of the Spree. His refashioned body was big: flat face with jowls, slabs of fat-larded muscle on arms and legs, great pillow of a stomach. All this needed a large caloric intake, and so he ate three vast meals every day whether he enjoyed them or not. His passport said he was a Dane, a traveling salesman in electrical gear, a connection he felt would be useful in tracking down Kierianne Frost but which carried its own dangers. The field was small and the company he purported to represent was not unknown, so the chance of exposure was higher than he would have risked in ordinary times. Frost had vanished before he even got off the steamer in Hamburg, as had Tesla some months before. It was not unreasonable to assume that where the one was, the other could be found. And Tesla, if he was alive, would be working – and that meant using or making apparatus. Not unreasonable to think that an observant man would be able to track down anyone purchasing electrical gear or the components thereof. And yet… nothing.

He read the papers every day, two or three different ones every morning and evening if he could get them, mostly looking for scraps of information that might lead him to Frost. In part he read to keep his mind off of the feeding of this gross body. In another few weeks he could change again – he was ready to admit this transition had been a mistake, change for the sake of change without consideration of its effectiveness. Besides, Frost was gone – ousted in a coup! – and the trail was long since gone cold. He still marveled at her fall, though the news that had come along since was all bad. Frost was a bloodthirsty, unprincipled, monomaniacal psychopath once she was off her meds, but she was also calculating, restrained and reasonably subtle in her methods – well, most of the time. Germany off her leash was proving to have no loftier goal than power, and its political maneuvers on the international stage resembled the intimidations of a playground bully. From the aspect of technique it was really a shame; as a precursor to a war that might swallow up western civilization, it was terrifying. The bully believed that no-one would stand before him while his victims honed their knives in the secret desperation of cornered rats.

He turned back to the front page and motioned for his coffee cup to be refilled. The conference had failed to resolve anything of the supposed ‘Belgian Issue’. That was bad, a symptom of French weakness and British temporizing, but this… atrocity… The photos of the poor, doomed steamship ‘Hudson’ sprawled across the yellowing pages, a moonscape of burned metal and puckered craters. A man might wonder how anyone had survived, did he not know that the ship had gone aground a scant few meters from shore. The fires had raged unchecked for days after the ship was abandoned. The deaths from wounds, smoke and other causes were estimated to be at least one hundred, among them several children. And this was the coverage in the German papers, restrained by Imperial preference if not yet by law. He sighed; it was the death of children that would put the Americans over the top. Any rational government, faced with such a horror done by members of its army, would vigorously prosecute those responsible while groveling abjectly abroad. By that standard the Dutch were no longer rational, nor was the Kaiser’s government apparently doing anything to rein them in.

A gusty sigh disguised a belch. He pushed himself back from the table as a servitor trotted up with a card on a silver tray. It was not the cheque but a folded telegram, and he read it with dismay – shock - horror. Temic Messoune had survived! Despite the sacrifice of Morton and Fielding, he lived and had struck in a fashion ghastly even by his usual standards. Ann was dead; Feric was prostrate with grief. Makhearne shook his head and sat back down, feeling old, old, old; his temples throbbed, but he did not – could not – give way to emotion here. He would call off his search as of this moment; if Frost had evaded agents of Imperial security, he alone would not find her and it was past time to recognize that truth. His sole lead had been to trace purchases of electrical equipment, but that had lead nowhere but to a holding company in Russia that might be a front for anyone. No, it was time to shed this vast bulk and go home. Feric had been mad to love a human woman, mad to think he could keep her from death and disease, mad to think he could protect her against such enemies… the splendid insanity of youth, and a madness he had envied more than once. A magnificent madness he too had known, once… Time to get out of Germany before the borders closed for good. Time to go.

He motioned for the attendant, “Cheque, please,” and was half-way up the staircase before the tears came.

Wait, you mean we don't want the newspapers shouting us into a war?

I like the idea of putting a car on a train for most of a car trip, although of course there's an excellent reason to do so.

About that picture - do time travelers try to avoid being photographed? I can imagine news of the Knights getting out in some incoherent form, and lots of conspiratorial speculation around things like that picture.

Last edited:
loki100 - thank you! I am trying to get a lot into five short posts; the shooting will begin immediately after. :)

There are 'hints and allegations' as to her whereabouts but nothing solid. Pre-revolutionary Russia would be less inviting to her, I think, than Germany. Less to work with and a more rigid nobility. What is really undetermined is where she plans to go and how she plans to get ahead again. The war that is shaping up is huge and the consequences to the losers will be at least as bad as in our history, so post-War Europe or America could be fertile ground.

J. Passepartout - We're going to get the 'yellow press' whether we want it or not. :eek:

Carrying a car on a railroad flatcar might have been the only way to get it west of Albany. In most American cities the roads ended at the city limits. There were almost no state highways, no numbers or maps. When tasked with driving a motorized convoy from coast to coast in 1919, Dwight Eisenhower's team took 62 days to make the trip! The reason for this shocking lack of raods was a well-developed network of railroads. The coming of automobiles created demand for good roads and good roads of course made autos more appealing... but until post-WWII there was no viable land alternative to the railroad for passengers or freight.

Makhearne would not have identified himself by name or as a time-traveler. He probably would have taken pains to see that his photo was not easily taken or published. Hard to be the 'man behind the curtain' when your face is on the front page of the New York Telegraph! But ocean liners could well have had a photographer or two on staff, to furnish the passengers with souvenir snapshots. Looking at this one I can see why he wanted to lose that weight. :)

“Good day, Uncle Pasha!” The cheerful voice belonged to a thin, blonde young man in the stylishly cut – though not strictly regulation – uniform of a well-to-do officer of noble birth and tastes. The hat spun carelessly on an outstretched finger until a flick of the wrist sent it soaring to – and past – the coat tree. A rich wool overcoat and a silk scarf were placed more carefully on the rack, the retrieved hat topping the ensemble.

At some point the young man realized his dour elder had not replied. He turned his attention from an admiration of his overcoat to find the old man glaring through slitted eyes. “Now, Uncle…”

The old man sighted down a finger like a pistol barrel and barked, “Have you no concept of duty! No sense of propriety!”

“Sir! Lieutenant-Colonel Lothar von Chelius presents himself to Lieutenant-General Colmar, Freiherr von der Goltz, Chief of the Imperial General Staff, for orders, sir.” If ever a salute and a clashing together of boot-heels could be rendered sarcastically, these were.

“At ease, then… nephew. Make yourself useful by pouring me a brandy - but keep your mouth civil! And in the future, do keep in mind that senior officers tend to take a dim view of your… humor. I can forgive – just! – your levity in private quarters, but here at the Great Headquarters your impudence is inexcusable!”

“Brandy sounds like an excellent idea,” the young man said cheerfully, the armor of insouciance turning aside a look that should have cut steel plate. “You must have redone the offices quite a bit. I don’t remember old Schlieffen keeping so much as a weak beer about.”

“You went through the office of the Chief of the Imperial Staff!” What should have been a roar was a strangled croak instead.

“Well, perhaps, but just the once. No point in bothering about it, really. Do you remember the Christmas party of three – no, I suppose it must have been four years ago. Well, I’d been chatting up the daughter of – um, no need to go into that, I think – and we wanted a place where we could, um, talk, in private, and…”

“Silence! I have put up with much for the sake of my sister, -“

“And for the sake of a channel to him in whose cause we both labor,” the young man interrupted coldly, good humor switched off and on like an electric light. One finger flicked the enameled Death’s Head on his collar, then the hands descended and rose with a snifter of brandy in each. “I searched the office at the behest of His Imperial Highness, in whose household I still serve.” The smile returned, cold and bright. “Didn’t find what I was sent for, and then old Schlieffen got the boot anyway, so no harm done.” He nosed the delicate bouquet, rolled a sip across his tongue and sighed with appreciation. “Tumbling Elizabetha was merely an excuse to get away from the party. A delightful one, to be…”

The older man waved away his story before he could get going again and took more than a sip of the brandy. “Enough of that. I could make use of your services, I admit. Someone must speak to… your superior… and explain to him that the mobilization of the army cannot be trifled with on a whim. Years of planning have gone into those orders. Every regiment in the Reich has its action plan, with trains scheduled down to five minute intervals. This request of his, that we do not mobilize half our forces, it is absurd! There will be inefficiency – worse! Chaos!”

Von Chelius smiled, not unsympathetically. “The Kaiser is a young man, and headstrong as all young men are. But he will not respond well to a general who says, ‘This cannot be done.’ If that is so, you must explain your reasoning and be persuasive. He is most concerned to limit the scope of this war and feels that our mobilization in the east would be… provocative to the Tsar.”

The older man’s hands were trembling so hard that he had to set the snifter down or spill its contents. “This is the most complex evolution in… in all of human history! Millions of men, weapons, artillery, ammunition, supplies… forage… All has been worked out to the smallest detail! The mobilization plan cannot be altered! Damnation to the Tsar, whose army is unready and whose temper is weak! We must mobilize on schedule – and someone must tell the Kaiser so!”

“Von Moltke would do as he was told,” Von Chelius started but von der Goltz cut him dead. “No! Helmuth feels as I do – it is a mistake! The staff is united in disapprobation! If the Kaiser thinks to exploit the factions among his generals, he will find us united on this!”

“If I go bearing such a tale the All-Highest is likely to transfer me to a signals station in Timbuktu! ‘Must’ is not a word one uses to the All-Highest – as you should well know. If you are not careful, Uncle, you and von Moltke and all the rest will join me there and some Swabian corporal will be in your place!”

There was a long moment of silence after that. Then von der Goltz gave a small, very grudging nod and said, “Sit, then. Lothar, you must help. This is beyond the usual politics – and spare me your rejoinder. It is. Decades have been spent on this mobilization plan, decades of hard work and deep planning. Every railroad and depot has been evaluated, every contingency planned for. We do have some alternative plans – but the only real difference is whether to mass the army corps against France or Russia. The changes the Kaiser requests are… The defeat of the army in detail, and the occupation of the Rhineland at the very least, would be quite possible. Serious defeats, in the early stages of war, can be recouped only at great sacrifice, if at all.”

Seeing that von Chelius was listening intently, von der Goltz took another, smaller, sip of brandy before continuing. “Half of the divisions we deploy against France would come from Prussia, Silesia and the other states of the east. If we order those divisions to stand down, the French alone might outnumber us – it is impossible to say. Whole stretches of the border could be unmanned. Our best chance to defeat the French is to mobilize rapidly with all our men, move forward rapidly and in force, catch them off-balance before their own mobilization is complete. For that we need a smooth mobilization and we need every army corps!”

The young man rolled another mouthful of brandy across his tongue and considered. “Von Marwitz has been at him, Uncle. And even though he keeps up a front, I know our Kaiser has… trepidations. He has not been on the throne a season and now we are facing the largest war of our time. He is right to be nervous, I think – I would be most concerned if he were not.” Then he shook his head. “Von Marwitz has convinced him that Russia can be kept out. And now that he has spoken his mind in public, well… It will be difficult to convince him that it would not be a humiliation to be thought indecisive.”

Another moment’s silence. “Lothar, I don’t ask this for myself, but for the Army and for the nation. Whatever must be done to make him see, the Kaiser must withdraw his order. I can hold the mobilization signal no longer than tomorrow. Then we must issue it – or delay our mobilization, with perhaps catastrophic results. If necessary I will issue it as it stands, without regard to the Kaiser. That will pit the Army against the Kaiser and split the Reichstag, on the eve of war. It will be a national crisis… but I will do it if I must.”

“Well, Uncle, I will promise you to do what I can – no more than that.” A slight smile graced his lips. “If I am successful, I do hope your affection for me will extend to some useful employment.” He tapped the Death’s Head again. “My old post may become somewhat unwelcoming.”

vondergoltz2.jpg
decastelnau.jpg

Chiefs of the General Staffs of Germany and France: Colmar von der Goltz and Edouard de Castelnau

General Edouard de Castelnau harrumphed and shook his head in regret. “With all respect, Monsieur le President, I fear that we are quite on our own. The Army of Belgium is negligible; at best we may hope for their assistance in containing the Dutch, who are not much better. The Americans… as to them, let me say that I shall be most relieved if they are able to commit troops within one year from today. By that time,” he continued gently, “I expect the present war will have long since been decided.”

“The point of view of my department,” said the Minister of War, “is that the most effectual assistance the Americans can render is financial and perhaps material.” He shifted his pince-nez and glared down the table. “Has my colleague procured assurances from the Tsar, or from the King of England?”

Theophile Delcasse stiffened. “Monsieur Combes is most forward with his criticisms, it seems, without sufficient understanding of the difficulties we encounter!”

President Waldeck-Rousseau raised both hands in a placating manner. “Monsieurs, please – let our arguments give no aid to the enemy. We must have unity to oppose the blow the Kaiser has aimed at our Republic.”

“I regret most sincerely any offense I may have unfortunately given,” Combes said. “I am most concerned that France is not compelled to struggle alone.”

“We have indeed been frustrated in our approaches to both Russia and England,” Delcasse admitted. “I find it… maddening… that they seem not to see their own peril. Perhaps they see it,” he shrugged, “and are paralyzed rather than roused to action. I cannot say.”

“And what of Austria? And Italy?”

“Our sources say that both would prefer to remain on the sidelines,” Delcasse replied. “This accords with my own thoughts and so I have no reason for distrust. Should Russia take a hand then Austria would also, it cannot be doubted.”

“Our sources say the Austrians have a secret treaty with Germany,” Combes said and nodded. “If this is so, how stands Italy? Might she feel still some affection for the nation that has been her friend and mentor?”

“Not our friend, nor yet an enemy,” Delcasse said, see-sawing a hand in mid-air to indicate Italian vacillation. “They want nothing from us, I believe. Austria could buy their alliance with lands in the Veneto, but the Austrians would never do so.”

“A Hapsburg – give up land?” Combes said with an elaborate shrug, and everyone laughed.

“Could we use a promise of Austrian lands to woo Italy to our side?” Waldeck-Rousseau asked when the chuckles had subsided. “The prospect of Venice should be enticing.”

“Non.” Delcasse shook his head in a firm negative. “I believe, that they believe, that we have not the strength to help Italy to achieve such a goal. The entry of Italy on our side must be instantly balanced by the addition of Austria to Germany. Better for them to wait for a better time.”

“Vultures,” de Castelnau spat. “Pragmatists,” Delcasse demurred.

“If Germany triumphs over France again,” Waldeck-Rousseau rumbled, “then there will never be a better time. Does anyone doubt that des Allemands intend to wreck us beyond all recovery this time?”

“They took Alsace and Lorraine before. They will take more if we permit it,” de Castelnau said simply. “To prevent this I must have every man, every franc, every bullet in France. We must win or die.”

“And how do you intend to fight them?” Delcasse said tartly. “I mean no disrespect, General – we must fight, it is clear. But… how?”

“We will mount a powerful defense across the Vosges, based on our fortifications. In Belgium,” he shrugged, “we will mount as forward a defense as we may, but it is there that I believe the enemy will post his strongest force. A powerful reserve will be retained to await any error in his dispositions. Beyond this, I cannot say. Too much depends upon the enemy, and upon the Army of Belgium. In this, even the tiny army of England would be of the greatest assistance.”

“Monsieur Delcasse will not stint in his efforts with England, I promise you. They too are signatories to the treaty that guarantees freedom to Belgium. And if they have not yet said, ‘Yes,’ then also they have not said, ‘No’.” He looked sternly at the Foreign Minister. “They must not be permitted to say, ‘No’.”

“We are waging a campaign in the newspapers,” Delcasse admitted. “The hearts and minds of their Parliament are our battleground. The feelings of the people are with us, but they dread another war.”

The President of the Republic shrugged. “President Roosevelt has promised us, and I quote, ‘material assistance’ within one-hundred-and-twenty days.”

“The Americans have no army,” de Castelnau snorted. “They have a fine navy and a few divisions in Africa and the Far East – that is all. The rest is a militia rabble. By the time it is called up and made ready for service they will realize they have no means of transporting more than a few divisions. Long before they could make such a mob useful, or convey it to the battlefields, the war will be over.”

“Then, mon General, we shall not detain you further. Return to your headquarters and ready your men. No less than the fate of France depends upon you.”

Like the personalisation of the very plausible debates, Germany being effectively overtaken by the inherent logic of a plan (& led by a generation who believed in plans with the fervour of an engineer), France casting around for a solution but seeing no choice. Hopefully for France's sake they are wrong in their assessment of the American potential.

And admidst all this, wonderful small details such as:

A rich wool overcoat and a silk scarf were placed more carefully on the rack, the retrieved hat topping the ensemble.

care disguised as carelessness

A gusty sigh disguised a belch. He pushed himself back from the table as a servitor trotted up with a card on a silver tray. It was not the cheque but a folded telegram, and he read it with dismay – shock - horror. Temic Messoune had survived! Despite the sacrifice of Morton and Fielding, he lived and had struck in a fashion ghastly even by his usual standards. Ann was dead; Feric was prostrate with grief. Makhearne shook his head and sat back down, feeling old, old, old; his temples throbbed, but he did not – could not – give way to emotion here. He would call off his search as of this moment; if Frost had evaded agents of Imperial security, he alone would not find her and it was past time to recognize that truth. His sole lead had been to trace purchases of electrical equipment, but that had lead nowhere but to a holding company in Russia that might be a front for anyone. No, it was time to shed this vast bulk and go home. Feric had been mad to love a human woman, mad to think he could keep her from death and disease, mad to think he could protect her against such enemies… the splendid insanity of youth, and a madness he had envied more than once. A magnificent madness he too had known, once… Time to get out of Germany before the borders closed for good. Time to go.

He motioned for the attendant, “Cheque, please,” and was half-way up the staircase before the tears came.

Ann dead?

Feric 'prostrate'? Could Frost be behind this rather than Messoune? Could it be a trap?

And what is this about the 'magnificent madness' that he had known once...

...was Frost not originally KT, but his old love from another world? Or a past world?

So much being hinted at, but the curtain is still drawn.

Well, so much for my predictive powers. :p I was assuming that Ann would be the last one standing - what with her not being a Knight Temporal and an American to boot (protected by that Special Providence Bismarck alluded to). Wrong again, as I'm sure I will be in updates to come. ;)

Lothar's entry reminded me in many ways (the luxurious clothes, the attitude and not least the hat-flinging) of Sean-Connery-style James Bond. :)

I hope Makhearne makes it out of Germany alive - he might not have found Frost, but what if Frost has found him? Of course, she probably has more urgent things on her mind than reigniting her grudge match with Makhearne - even if, as TheExecuter suggests, their enmity might spring from very personal sources.

loki100 - I'm a firm believer in the dictum that every strength can be a weakness. The best material for a sword is not the strongest (cast iron) or the most flexible (wrought iron) or even the very best steel. It is steel that is beaten and shaped and folded and made both ductile and strong and hard - just not too much of any.

Plans, and the staff horsepower to make them and carry them out, are fantastic force-multipliers. The problem is that the army staff types of the major European powers are focused on one part of the problem - how to best defeat the perceived plan of the enemy, instead of preparing a wide range of less detailed plans. Since a combination of Russia and France would create the largest strategic problem, the German Imperial Staff has focused on that, excluding the - to them unreasonable - prospect that a recently-whipped Russia would throw France to the wolves and stay out of the war, if given an excuse.

The United States intends to go to the aid of France and Belgium with every man she can muster. The problem is that the Germans are significantly more numerous, and better soldiers. And of course no-one knows if the French will hold or crumble (well, given the VicRev AI we do know, but not how long it will take).

Incognitia - The English will not jump in. They will be dragged in, kicking and screaming, by that most horrific of things: a politician with honor, a backbone, and no scruples what-so-ever.

TheExecuter - Yes, Ann dead - in a particularly awful way as we shall see. And Makhearne does have history with Frost. They may have loved each other in not quite the same way but it was deep, and desperate, and wrenching. In fact, I could say that for Donneval she was always... the woman.

J. Passepartout - there is that awful moment I have in most games where the AI does something completely unexpected (or simply brilliantly stupid) or the random events go sidewise and I realize all my carefully-made plans have gone out the window and there is nothing left but me on a tight-wire with an umbrella and a long way to fall. Always my own fault, of course, and no less enraging for that.

Von der Goltz seems to me to be a bit of a cold-blooded reptile. We will have to see whether the threatened mutiny of the staff is enough to bring the Kaiser to heel.

Stuyvesant - I am deliberately trying to draw a parallel between the falling-domino cascade of spreading war and the killing of my main characters; if not explicit, it is certainly there.

I rather like Lothar, smirking elitist bastard that he is. It stands to reason that the Kaiser would have a few trusted men to handle the necessary dirty work. Certainly he has a high opinion of himself - and a psychopath's ability to raise and lower a charming facade at will. Perhaps we'll see more of him. :)

If Frost is to recoup anything she either has to go somewhere else and try again or put it all on the line and gamble for full stakes. Makhearne could be viewed as a potential ally (to defuse the war) or as another obstacle to be bulldozed. I'm not sure she would understand that Ann's death could change the personal equations by so much.

Total war is coming - in the game and in the story. The stakes are total, the rulebook is void, and the gloves are off.

“But you haven’t told me anything,” the senator snarled, and Major Jack Pershing flushed.

“With all due respect, sir, our military preparations…”

“Will not be kept a secret from the members of the Joint Armed Services Committee, and especially not from me.” Senator Allen Hurd leaned forward in his chair and slapped his palm on the table top for punctuation. “Let me lay this out for you, son. It won’t take long, because it is pretty simple. I am the chairman of that committee, responsible to the good people of Georgia and of the United States for the actions of their military. And if I don’t get what I want then I am proposing to go back up the Hill and raise seven kinds of Hell with everyone from Theodore Roosevelt down to the janitor who sweeps the floors of the War Department. If your chief doesn’t want me to call in the members of the Washington press corps and give them a healthy piece of my mind, then you had better start talking. And talk straight, son. I may not be a general but I served in Spain and I do know which end of a mule the crap comes out of.”

Pershing weathered the blast and even nodded at the close. “Sir, I believe I can answer your questions, and I do assure you it is not the Department’s intention to withhold information from you. I must however say that there are points that have not yet been decided. I believe this is because the proper intelligence is lacking, or because it is not yet necessary to settle all the details.” He paused for a measured sip of water.

“In short, at the order of the President and by virtue of the declaration of war by the Congress, the commanding general and the general staff have issued a mobilization order for the Army and the National Guard. The commanding general has designated General Arthur MacArthur to command the Department of Asia and intends to strongly reinforce our possessions in the Phillipines and off the coast of China. General Chaffee also intends to put a force of at least ten army corps – forty divisions – ashore in Europe within six months.”

“That’s forty divisions out of ninety – more if the appropriations bill goes through.” The senator grinned. “Which it will. Now you said ashore. Where, then? And what does General Chaffee propose to do with the rest of the Army? Send it to Asia?” Despite the autumnal briskness outside the air in the conference room was overheated and close. The senator’s linen suit hung limply but his well-shod foot tapped impatiently on the wooden parquetry.

“That has not yet been…”

“Why not put the Army in France? They’re the ones who need our help, or so I heard. They’ve got ports on the Atlantic, I would suppose.” Despite the senator’s pronounced Georgian accent his speech was rapid, words deployed like bullets from a machine gun.

“We have requested permission to land our divisions in France, sir. General de Castelnau – their chief of staff – has responded that our timeline is unreasonable, since he expects the war to be over in ninety days or less. He says that first priority at the French docks will be given to shipments of munitions, food and fodder.”

“Am I to understand that the nation of France, who is in dire need of our help, has put our men on a lower priority than animal feed?”

Pershing tried not to wince. “We are attempting to provide proof that we can and will land our men on or ahead of schedule, sir.”

“And can we? Don’t even try to pull my leg, son.”

“We did it in ’86, sir.”

Senator Hurd shoved himself back in his chair and thought hard, staring straight into the young army officer the while. “Well, let’s say you can raise that many men, and that they’re ready for service – which I doubt. We weren’t in ’86, as I recall – took a bit to put us into shape. But no matter – polished or not, if we can put forty divisions or more on the ground in France we might just show the Kaiser a thing or two. Now, how does the Army propose to get those men overseas, anyway?”

“That is properly the business of the Navy, sir, but –“ the major hurried on to head off another explosion, “we can do it by hiring passenger ships and by refitting cargo ships for military service.”

“Which will take how long – and cost how much? Didn’t work that well in ’86, not by my recollection it didn’t.”

“I don’t have an estimate with me, but I can forward that to your office as soon as we have one, sir. As I understand it, Congress passed a subsidy bill for shipping firms about thirty years ago. One provision was that to qualify, at least one cargo hold on a ship had to be of a certain standard size. General Funston had the idea to use that, after the landings in the Phillipines were…”

“A shambles? Son, you don’t have to mince words with me – I served in that war. The Phillipines can’t have been any worse than our landing at Huelva. Three boys with slingshots could have nabbed the lot of us, nor did we have anything to eat for most of a week ‘cept what we found for ourselves. Anything the Army can do to improve upon that disaster would be welcome, seeing as how I don’t think the Germans will be as inept as the Dons were.”

“Yes, sir. Well, since that time the Army has been building up troop quarters that fit in a cargo hold of that size. That’s possible because the holds are all the same size so we can mass-produce the quarters. Our Plans division says the idea of a common hold size has become popular overseas as well, so it will be possible for us to charter foreign vessels.”

“Yes, yes – I can see that. Doesn’t answer the question of how the Army intends to get at the Germans, though. Does General Chaffee propose to go into France, or Belgium, or into the Netherlands?”

“Sir, at the moment the general is mostly concerned with how we are going to make an Atlantic crossing and still be fit to fight once we get there. A landing is… well, it’s up to the diplomats, for now. It will have to be settled soon, but for now that’s all that I know.”

Senator Hurd cut his eyes left and right at his aides. “Looks like I’ll need to go pay a call on Senator Lodge in Foreign Relations. Set it up, Harry, will you?” Then he fixed the army officer with a gimlet stare and wagged a finger for punctuation. “You tell your chief I want reports – regular, truthful and complete reports. If he deals fairly with me, he will have a friend where he most needs one.”

Hurd rose and rescued his fedora from an aide, then turned for a parting shot. “And if he doesn’t – then by God he’ll find himself ‘twixt Hell and Georgia, and that will be hot indeed!”

again, very clever scene setting. Do like the way your timeline is internally consistent as it has developed.

Is the 'uniform cargo hold' concept an invention, or a reflection of actual policy?

Going back to the earlier debate, it fits with the idea that there was a terrible (internally consistent) logic in the slippage into war. I can't remember where I read it, but one discussion of the causes of WW1 argued that it happened because it became the easy decision and that it was almost too much effort (ie to those delivering policy on the ground, inconceivable) to do anything else. The logic of mobilisation and the relative speed made a mockery of diplomacy still being conducted as if it was the Congress of Vienna.

Nice to see a fellow forumite seems to have made his way into the US Senate. Good questions; the answers seem to present at least a willingness to not ignore stern suggestions, which is the one advantage we see over the two equivalent scenes in the previous update.

Going back to the earlier debate, it fits with the idea that there was a terrible (internally consistent) logic in the slippage into war. I can't remember where I read it, but one discussion of the causes of WW1 argued that it happened because it became the easy decision and that it was almost too much effort (ie to those delivering policy on the ground, inconceivable) to do anything else. The logic of mobilisation and the relative speed made a mockery of diplomacy still being conducted as if it was the Congress of Vienna.

I dabbled in this stuff during my uni years - not anything formal or disciplined, just read a bunch of books about the Great War and its causes. While there's a lot of blame to be spread around (the UK being very vague in its commitments to Belgium and France, which might have encouraged the Germans; the Germans issuing the infamous 'blank check' to the Austrians; the Austrians hell-bent on humiliating Serbia; the Russians dead set to defend Serbia, but unable to field a credible force right away), in the end it came down to this: once the Russians ordered a partial mobilization - I don't remember whether they did this before or after the Austrians declared war on Serbia - the German mobilization plans either needed to be put in action, or the Germans needed to back down. They had no alternative plans, it was all, or nothing at all. And with their clockwork warplan calling for the defeat of France before the Russians could fully mobilize, any action from Russia, even a partial mobilization, inevitably led to a full-scale war against France (invading through Belgium, which brought in the British... And the tragedy we all know unfolded from there).

It remains a stunning example of rigid planning leading to war and why the decision to go to war should not be left to the generals.

Nice to see a fellow forumite seems to have made his way into the US Senate.
You know, that sailed right by me when I first read it. Thanks for the pointer. :)

So, Director, you're mobilizing your forces - slowish - yet the French still refuse you access. Perhaps you need to talk to the British Admiral John Fisher, I'm sure he has some (impractical) suggestions as to where the American divisions should land (Pommerania, anyone?).

Looking forward to seeing how the race between the German advance and the American mobilization plays out.

loki100 - if the internal timeline is consistent it is because I halted game-play about a year ago and have been writing off of my extensive notes since then. I know where I'm going; all we have to do now is set the scene. Yes... I know... a year of scene-setting is probably about nine-months of overkill, but anyone can tell you I never write one installment when three will do. :blush: The game is currently in mid-1906 but hopefully it won't take us another year to get there.

The standardized cargo hold is entirely fiction. I had to reconcile a couple of points, the first being that in 'real' history the US refused to subsidize its merchant marine after the civil war and lost virtually all shipping to the UK. Here, I kept my share, using the colonial trade as an excuse (I started the war with 40+ steam transports plus what I need for colonial trade). Second, even in WWII it was hard to lift more than a few divisions across the width of the English Channel, and this is after decades of realizing the need for amphib capability (after Gallipoli, particularly, and with a possible war with Japan over Pacific islands staring the US Army and Marines in the face). The Torch landings were thought to be crazy impossible by the Allies as well as the Germans, because you just couldn't lift troops across the Atlantic in any number, land them and have them in shape to fight. In the event, the US managed to move just about 5 divisions (the UK about the same, but I'm talking solely about US resources here). In the game I'm talking about moving 40 divisions at one time from the US to the North Sea and Baltic, so at a minimum I need 8 times the sealift. Torch happened almost a year after the US entered the war; in-game I'm talking about invading Europe within 90-120 days of a declaration of war. So I need to postulate a whole lot of clear-headed recognition of the need plus Congressional willingness to fund the ships and barrack units, plus a lot of advanced planning for loading, stowing and off-loading. A study of WWII will tell you that it took time to learn how to 'combat-load' ships (first-needed last loaded, least-needed went on first), and shipping bottlenecks nearly crippled offensives in Sicily, Italy, Normandy and any number of island invasions. Managing this stuff is really hard, really necessary, and was almost completely ignored before WWII broke out.

Clearly, when it comes to this sort of thing, the decision to leave factors like logistics out of the game has consequences. ;) But I've tried to be upfront about my advance preparations for overseas war. As long back as the Spanish-American War I talked about subsidies for shipping, and I've talked about how the Army realized it needed better planning and capability for future wars after the botched Phillipine invasions. A long time ago (before the Civil War) I talked about a Prussian-style mobilization that could quickly produce a reasonably-trained army from a reserve. So... the 'barracks module in a standardized cargo hold' seemed to be a good way to get a lot of sealift capability quickly and cheaply. It wouldn't work as neatly in real life, but hey - the invasion of Europe happened, so there must be an explanation, right? :eek:hmy:

I agree that the outbreak of this war is a function of mobilization urgency outstripping the ability of diplomacy. In fact, of course, I decided rather coldly that Germany had to be contained (to protect my fragile and very recent VP lead) and that saving France was therefore necessary. I couldn't get France to ally with me and rather stupidly didn't think about guaranteeing their independence until too late. Whether or not it is going to be possible to win is still up in the air, but I have definitely given the Great General Staff a problem to gnaw on. :D

J. Passepartout - I cannot confirm, but will not deny, your observation. I have made use of a number of real names in this one and the offer still holds. Anyone can PM me their real name and I will try to work it in.

The US needs some kind of advantage over the Germans. Even with France and Belgium added in I am horribly outnumbered. In fact I debated a long, long time before pushing the button, because on the face of it I just don't have - and will never have - an army able to take them on and win.

Stuyvesant - I have borrowed heavily from our history here, partly because it is difficult to imagine anything more stupid, willful, tragic and horribly blind than the descent into WWI. My own take is different from yours: I blame first the Serbians, for agitating and conducting covert provocations. When you equip and fund the crazies, you are responsible for what happens. If they didn't send the assasin, they helped make him possible. I blame the Russians, who should have looked at the assasination and said, 'Sorry - you're on your own' instead of offering to support the Serbs. And I blame the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned Kaiser, who NEVER should have given ANYONE a blank check, and who didn't have the balls to insist that his generals change their plans, and who was so (rightly) distrusted and despised by his relatives that they just didn't believe anything he said afterward. (And who was so childishly insecure as to want a big navy for a manhood-compensating plaything.) AND I blame the German General Staff as reactionary, narrow-minded, blinkered, stupid idiots who couldn't tell the difference between theory and real life. (The difference is that in theory they are the same, but in practice... not).

Sorry... but every now and then I go listen to "Kenneth Alford"'s superlative march, 'Vanished Army', and I just want to weep.

Pity Gavrilo Princip didn't shoot the Kaiser instead. By all accounts Franz Ferdinand was a much better man, though that is a very - very - low mark to clear. Reptiles and most invertibrates can, too.

France makes it through the winter, losing the border provinces but keeping most of her army intact. By spring, they'd better hope and pray they get some help.

With its declaration of war on Imperial Germany, the United States found itself confronted with strategic problems of a different order of magnitude than it had ever seen before. War with a major European power had come in 1887 (see Anglo-American War, 1887-1888) and – though mostly unprepared, save in her Naval armaments – the United States had secured victory by applying, and sustaining, a well-thought-out strategy. On land, an invasion was mounted to hold Canada hostage and a powerful reserve force used to counter British invasions of the Atlantic seaboard. At sea, a bold thrust into the English Channel placed a choke-hold across the vital windpipe of the British economy and sent chills through a populace that had not been seriously threatened with invasion for three-quarters of a century. These maneuvers immediately placed under threat strategic points of immense value to the British Empire, whose counter-strokes into the Chesapeake and Africa were not so immediately dangerous. If frequently guilty of strategic over-reach, by attempting to do too much with too-few forces, the Americans were fortunate in their opponent. The British Army and Navy were unused to operations in mass, slow to prepare, secure in their – false – sense of superiority, and largely incapable of taking their opponent seriously. At no time were the potentially overwhelming numbers of men and ships available to the British Empire ever brought to bear, nor was its vast industrial apparatus turned to military needs. Above all, the early battles at sea were decisive: with control of the sea, American troops could be moved to threatened points while British reinforcements could scarcely be shifted or supplied. The objects for which the Empire had gone to war were limited, the costs of all-out war very high, and the successive governments at Westminster were smart enough to recognize that the game had ceased to be worth the candle. The United States had made no major strategic mis-step to compare with the British loss of their Channel Fleet and two expeditionary forces totaling almost a third of a million men, and had succeeded in countering British thrusts against American possessions overseas. Thus by acting with rapidity, decision and by minimizing risk where possible, American strategic gambles had paid off – against an opponent who was disorganized, unmotivated and – after the sea-battles in the Channel – shocked almost to paralysis. This would not be the case in 1904.

Against a major land power such as France or Germany, American warplans had a defensive cast: the fleet would be massed in the protected waters of the Caribbean until it was time for a decisive stroke while the army would cover the vulnerable Atlantic ports and colonies against invasion. When war came, the full-tilt German and Dutch invasion of Belgium and France rendered this strategy moot. For political and strategic reasons as well as military necessity, France could not be allowed to fall. This meant deploying the American Army overseas and as far forward as possible, as quickly as possible. Logistics, as always, must rule American deployments: only the infusion of large numbers of fresh divisions could be expected to alter the situation on the frontlines, but to move, feed and equip the necessary men seemed beyond the power of even the most capable staff. The allied counter-blow, an unexpected French and Belgian offensive into the south-western Netherlands, succeeded in wrecking the Dutch army without much reducing the Germany’s overwhelming numerical superiority or providing a serious check to German incursions in Belgium and France. The onset of winter then dragged operations to a standstill, leaving the eastern fringe of the Franco-German border in German hands and opening the frightful spectre of the German army sweeping in springtime from the Champagne to the sea. None of this reduced the urgent need for American troops, or made their deployment any easier.

Despite her decided military inferiority to Imperial Germany, the United States still possessed a powerful navy of eight battleships of the first (‘all-big-gun’) class and thirty-two of the second class, forty-eight cruisers of all classes and eight sea-capable submersibles. The Imperial High Seas Fleet could muster eight new and powerful battleships of the second class, forty-five cruisers of all types and a handful of obsolescent ironclads and armed steamers. One powerful but un-obvious naval asset was the American ability to rapidly mobilize commercial steamships from its large merchant marine, equip them with rudimentary but sufficient barracks and then deploy them across the Atlantic. Though unproven, untested and frankly unprecedented, this vast armada did – in theory – give the American army the ability to reach ports in Europe. In contrast, the almost-equally-large German merchant marine would be sunk, captured or driven into friendly and neutral ports almost immediately.

But for operational security the American troop convoys could not sail until the German High Seas Fleet had been neutralized, or at the very least contained. The prospect of German warships ripping into undefended troopships rendered American admirals pale and sleepless, but their own conception of themselves as aggressive warriors did not permit the employment of the war fleet on mere convoy duty. The older cruisers would serve as escorts while the capital ships and newer cruisers sealed the Danish sound and the ports of the North Sea. The easiest way to support such a blockade would be from British ports, but Britain was preserving a guarded neutrality. The port facilities of Belgium were under enemy artillery fire and the closest American harbor was in the Grand Canaries, a thousand miles from the North Sea, leaving the American Navy dependent on Brest, Cherbourg and the French Channel ports. The entry of other powers into the war and the general collapse of the Dutch would ease this logistical nightmare, but in the first winter of the War this necessary advanced deployment of the American fleets was to expose them to heavy damage and loss, and to risk their defeat in detail.

We may gain an appreciation of the factors involved and their relative importance from an examination of the first naval engagement of the War, commonly called Cadiz or Second Trafalgar. As battles do not occur without some reason, it may be instructive to examine the rationales of the commanding officers and the characteristics of the ships as well as their positions and movements. Since the defeat of the anti-Western rioters in China, Germany had maintained strong garrisons and naval forces in her new bases of Quingdao and Shanghai. With rising tensions in Europe (and with a complete lack of repair facilities for major warships in the German Far Eastern ports) the decision was made to return the Far Eastern Squadron to Europe. This detachment, formed of the new battleships Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse and Kurfurst Friedrich Wilhelm, and escorted by the armored cruiser Aesir, represented a quarter of German total battleship strength. It lay in the harbor of Alexandria in British Egypt when the declarations of war arrived by telegram, taking on much-needed coal and supplies. Despite the fact that his squadron lay at the extreme end of the Mediterranean with a gauntlet of French warships to run and the entire southern rim of that sea taken up by French colonies, Admiral Dietrich von Prittwitz und Gaffron remained in harbor for twenty-four hours before making steam. What he thus lost in time he amply gained in the knowledge that his ships were fully fueled and supplied, and that his intelligence of French dispositions was as complete as possible. When his flotilla departed they were accompanied by ships of the Bremer Mittelsea Line, which von Prittwitz intended to use as mobile sources of coal and stores.

From Alexandria, the Admiral forebore to steer a straight line to Gibraltar and the open ocean beyond, feinting at different times for the Aegean Sea, as if to run for Constantinople, and cruising through Italian waters as though aiming to join the Austrian fleet in the Adriatic Sea. The French Navy could spare no modern ships to shadow such a powerful squadron and concentrated instead on escorting troopships on the route from Algiers to Marseilles. Despite these maneuvers, once west of Sicily the intention of the German Admiral was clear: he must attempt to pass the twin pillars of British Gibraltar and French Tangiers and escape into the wide Atlantic.

The policy of the French fleet was as it ever was; control of the sea would be subordinated to the narrow task of convoying troops. Britain was not yet at war and her senior commanders felt that an attempt to shadow the German squadron too closely might lead to an incident. The United States maintained no permanent naval force in the Mediterranean basin, nor would ships be introduced there in the present crisis. Admiral David Jewell, commanding the American ships based on the Grand Canaries, disposed of an apparently overwhelming force of eight battleships and four cruisers. Yet he refused to divide his ships, declined even to detach his cruisers as a squadron of observation to locate the Germans lest they be trapped in narrow waters and overwhelmed in detail. Instead he deployed his squadrons, not in the mouth of the strait or south of it toward his own base of supply, but across the path of any German steaming for the north, and home.

The American battleships were tired and worn from two decades of combat and hard steaming. Four of them were of the James Madison class, entering service from 1884. The other four were only two years younger and were of the follow-on Martin Van Buren class. All had seen service against Britain in 1888. The four American cruisers were a decade newer, dating from 1894, and would have been instantly recognizable in a dozen European ports. They were the Charleston, Memphis, Atlanta and Kansas City – large, fast and powerful in their day, and famous as ‘The Southern Belles’ from their frequent goodwill tours of British and European ports. With the passing of peace, once-black hulls and white superstructures were hurriedly paint-swabbed a muted horizon-gray and bunkers were stuffed with nearly-smokeless British anthracite coal.

ussvanburen.jpg

Battleship Martin Van Buren docks at Norfolk

ussgeorgewashington.jpg

USS George Washington. The James Madison class were identical save for thin armored ‘hoods’ over the main battery guns

usscharleston.jpg

USS Charleston in Kiel, 1899

Admiral Jewell and his staff had reasoned that the German Admiral would try to pass his ships through the Strait of Gibraltar in darkness. This was made dangerous by the risk of collision with shipping in the narrow waters, but it must afford the greatest chance of secrecy for his movements. On this principle the American ships were deployed in a triangular formation off Cadiz. The old battleships of the James Madison class were closest to the Spanish coast, their slightly-younger cousins of the Fillmore class were almost over the horizon to the west, and the cruisers were stationed to the south, on the point of the triangle. The German ships were all less than five years old and were assumed to be still capable of their designed speeds of 18 knots – a full 22 knots for the cruiser Aesir. By contrast, the American ships were showing the effects of age and worn machinery. Their cruisers would have struggled to pull away from the German capital ships and their battleships were unable to pursue a fleeing enemy with success. Thus any hope of bringing the enemy to battle must depend upon correctly guessing at his movements and then disposing superior numbers to intercept him.

On the fourth of November the German squadron hurled shells into the French harbor of Tunis, then used the rapid mobility possible to modern steam-powered warships to serve Bone in the same fashion shortly after. Von Prittwitz then took his ships rapidly north, ostentatiously showing them off the coast of Corsica. By this time the French Navy was in an uproar, a state of frantic confusion not lessened by the prompt disappearance of the German squadron as von Prittwitz broke contact and steamed west. Pressed to cover every possible point of attack, the French could only suspend all new sailings from Algiers and mass their available ships there and at Toulon.

Having shaken his pursuers in more ways than one, von Prittwitz turned his ships west toward the narrow mouth of the Mediterranean Sea and called up their highest speed. Though he was seen by passing ships the general lack of wireless communication sets on merchantmen in those days meant that no word of his movements could reach his enemies ahead of his own ships. This employment of high speed and indirect maneuver would have been entirely successful save for the efforts of one Captain Hugh Prescott of the British P&O Lines steamer Osiris. Not knowing if his country was at war with Germany, Captain Prescott shrugged off his relief at seeing the German ships pass him by and altered course to Port Mahon in Minorca. There his report was put on the network of undersea cables and forwarded to every British consular agent in France and Spain. Within an hour of its receipt in Cadiz a copy was laid on the desk of the American consul, which worthy lost no time in chartering a fast tug to take the message out to the American fleet. For Admiral Jewell and his staff, the news was both welcome and concerning. If the Germans were indeed attempting to break out into the Atlantic by night, they should – by American calculation – have already been sighted.

An anxious day passed, and then a sleepless night. Had the Germans turned back? Had they anticipated the Americans and swung wide into the Atlantic, or worse yet turned south to shell the American naval base in the Canaries? It must have been with profound relief that Admiral Jewell received the signal from the Memphis at 9:27 am on the 11th of November that ‘Heavy smoke sighted bearing SSE.’

The plume of smoke did in fact indicate the presence of the three German ships. But given von Prittwitz’s haste in steaming away from Corsica, where had they been? Cruising slowly down the Spanish coast, was the answer, transferring coal and stores from German merchant ships that had sailed from Cartagena for that purpose. With added fuel stocks, and with his exhausted stokers given some respite, the German Admiral once again rang his engine telegraphs for ‘Full Ahead’ and pressed on for the Strait.

Seeing the broad, high plume of black smoke – for the Germans were burning soft coal, not anthracite – Commodore Richard Franklin turned his four cruisers from steaming south, side-by-side, to steaming southeast in line ahead, his flagship Memphis in the van. Several anxious moments passed before the lookouts reported an increase in smoke and an apparent turn to the northwest. Soon after the masts and superstructures of warships could be perceived, and the German squadron was seen to turn to a more westerly heading. As the American cruisers altered course to the south and then swung ‘round to the southwest, their enemy made positive identification and opened fire. That they were uncomfortably close was made clear when the first shell – a 9.4” (240mm) round from Aesir’s big forward gun – rocketed overhead and raised a waterspout a thousand yards or more past the unarmored American ships.

valkyrie.jpg

Infanta Maria Teresa, German-built for the Spanish Navy and near-sister ship to Aesir, showing off one of her two 240mm guns

A salvo from the Memphis, however, splashed short. Commodore Franklin had no desire to trade broadsides with battleships and so ordered a simultaneous turn to starboard – north by northwest – and back to parallel the German line. Though the range was long, the American cruisers kept up a steady fire. Their opponents, being less sure of their ammunition re-supply, fired slowly but with care. This tactic paid off at about 10:15am when a 10.8” (275mm) shell from Kurfurst Friedrich Wilhelm ripped through the side and upper deck of Atlanta, exploding abaft the fourth stack. The high-explosive blast buckled the arched protective armored deck but failed to penetrate it, leaving the cruiser shaken but not mortally wounded. However, as the Americans were quickly to discover, large German high-explosive shells had the bursting charge wrapped in a tube of wax and incendiary chemicals including phosphorus. Within minutes the rear half of the cruiser was a mass of flame. To save his ship and crew, her captain turned her north into the prevailing wind and doused his magazines in seawater, saving the ship but removing her from the fight.

Any temptation the German Admiral may have felt toward turning on and finishing off the American cruisers was eliminated by his lookouts’ warnings of smoke ahead. They had sighted the four-ship column of battleships of the Van Buren class, with Admiral Jewell flying his flag from the Benjamin Franklin. Jewell turned his ships in succession to the south to cross the German ‘T’, all ships breaking out a broad streamer of ‘Hudson red’ as they opened fire. For von Prittwitz, the choices were stark: to continue on into the massed fire of four battleships while unable to return it, to alter course to the north and head into a possible torpedo attack from the cruisers, or to risk disordering his formation with a radical maneuver. He chose the latter, Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse heeling hard to starboard as she came around ninety degrees to head northeast. Aesir, who had been leading the line, missed the signal and turned late, settling into the trailing position of the line rather than speed up and block her sisters’ line of fire.

The Americans were thus completely wrong-footed. For the battleships the fight had become a chase that they could not reasonably hope to win unless critical damage slowed their enemy. The American cruisers were now also behind and to port of the speeding foe, and though they could still steam the German shells had damaged them heavily. With the tactical situation favorably in hand and the range opening by the minute, one can only imagine the sentiments on the Kaiser Wilhelm’s flag bridge when the lookouts again spotted smoke… ahead. It was, of course, the old and slow ships of the Madison class, with Rear-Admiral Glossup leading from the Henry Clay. Though their stokers and engineers had been straining every muscle, and despite the fuming volcanos of coal smoke vomiting from their boilers, the old battleships had scarcely reached sixteen knots in their run south. Fortuitously, they were now placed exactly across the enemy’s path.

Glossup had, in general, three choices. The first was to turn sharply to starboard (west) to open fire, then reverse his course to parallel the German line, hoping to slow them down before they passed him and escaped. The second was to continue to the south, then reverse course – essentially the same maneuver as the first, but at a closer range. The last was to steam directly toward the German squadron and rapidly close the range, either altering course at the last moment or passing the enemy on the opposite course at very close range. We must bear in mind that Admiral Glossup had no more indication of the position of other forces than their smoke-plumes and was not only out of contact with his flagship but heavily out-matched. The prudent course would be to open fire, reverse course and maintain contact for as long as possible. The Admiral chose to attack instead, as directly and at as close a range as possible. The American line altered course to the southwest, steaming head-on at the German squadron.

One account, written years after by an officer in the Andrew Jackson, third in line behind the Clay and the Madison, states that the Germans ‘flinched’, or turned away to the east or south before resuming their northeasterly run. If so, Admiral von Prittwitz must have speedily reacted to the threat and then realized he had nowhere else to turn: east was a neutral coast, south no port that could offer fuel or refuge, west only more enemies. In any case, he opted to close the range, endure the enemy’s fire and then – hopefully undamaged in any critical part – steam away to the north.

Modern gunnery had been concentrating on landing shells on target at open ranges since the first American battleships hit the water in 1884. Over the two decades since, fire control and ranging systems had been developed and training made a regular part of every ship’s routine. In general, the American equipment was older but their officers and crew were superlatively trained and experienced in its use. German optics and machining were better and their crews were well-drilled, though not as experienced in live-fire. In this case it was to make not a particle of difference: the forward guns of Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse landed a direct hit on the metal shell covering the forward guns of the Henry Clay at less than six thousand yards. The shell was armor-piecing and so did not detonate until it had penetrated the armored conning tower behind the turret, but half the main armament was put out of action and most of the gun crew killed or disabled. In response, her captain ported his helm to pass in front of the Kaiser and then turned back southwest, passing the German flagship at a range of a mile and a half. Madison followed suit; Jackson and George Dallas could not turn as they would have been rammed, and so continued down the other side of the German line.

One survivor compared the next fifteen minutes to a gangster shootout with machine-guns at twenty paces. Assuming a gun could be brought to bear there was no chance to miss, and at such a close range even the old, relatively low-velocity 12” guns in the American main batteries could penetrate any armor. Shells from the Clay entered the Kaiser at a 45 degree angle forward of her armored belt and raked her innards, blowing out at least one boiler-room. Madison’s four-gun salute shredded another set of boilers and set fire to the propellant store for the main guns. The dying men trapped in the magazines hit the flooding handles, dooming themselves but saving the ship from immolation. In turn, Kaiser’s 200mm secondary armament wiped Clay’s bridge off the ship, killing everyone from the admiral and captain down to the seaman at the wheel. Auxilliary control kept her headed southwest, taking her down the full length of the German line to come at last to a halt, wreathed in steam, smoke and flame. Reloaded, Kaiser’s 275mm main armament returned the favor to Madison. All four shells penetrated the belt armor and wreaked havoc inside. The 6” secondary guns were set in slots in the armored superstructure, but this protection did not save them. Enemy shells detonated behind the protective shield, setting off the ammunition piled in the ready racks behind the guns. The blast ripped Madison like a can-opener and fatally racked the rivets holding her hull-plates to her ribs. With her boilers sundered and her engines stilled there was no power for the pumps; flooding below the waterine and blazing above, Madison was doomed.

While Kurfurst Friedrich Wilhelm and Aesir scrambled to avoid the wounded, veering Kaiser Wilhelm and rained additional blows on the hapless Clay and Madison, Jackson and Dallas took the other two German ships from the opposite side. At such a close range even the 6” secondary guns on the American battleships could not fail to hit and penetrate. Though no immediately fatal damage was done, both the German battleship and cruiser sustained hits below the waterline as well as damage to their engineering plants. Aesir would be brought to bay by the surviving American cruisers and dealt a killing blow by Franklin and Hancock as they came up. Kurfurst Friedrich Wilhelm staggered off to the east, no longer under any steerage save that provided by her propellers, and heaved herself onto the rocks to avoid surrender.

kurfurstaground.jpg

Kurfurst Friedrich Wilhelm aground off Cape Trafalgar, November, 1905

It was a century and a month after Nelson’s stunning triumph. It was disorganized, chaotic, rapid-paced and brutal, a collision of mechanical behemoths with literally explosive ferocity. The decisions of all three admirals (and one Commodore) would be the subject of discussion, argument, praise and condemnation, the deaths of Admirals von Prittwitz and Glossup notwithstanding. The infant German Navy had acquitted itself well in its operations, and its ships were excellently designed and manned. The older American ships had paid a sobering price despite their numerical superiority, but the victory was undeniable: the German presence in the Mediterranean had been swept from the seas.

gripping stuff, really liked the ebb and flow of the battle as both sides gained and lost the initiative and quite brings out the horror of naval warfare.

I know nothing of naval tactics (in fact the first thing I do in most games I play is to instantly have my fleet sunk - even in RoP), so was the reference back to naval tactics from the age of sail (capping the T and trying to hit a ship from its rear if possible) really part of the tactics of the Dreadnought era (I'm guessing pre-air, pre-radar, but with some scouting, so still largely dominated by line of sight)?

Thank you for the explanation about sea transport too. Makes it stunningly clear just how complex trans-continental warfare was (even if you had friendly ports at both ends)

was the reference back to naval tactics from the age of sail (capping the T and trying to hit a ship from its rear if possible) really part of the tactics of the Dreadnought era

Yes, although it was less effective than in sailship days. If you take a battleship with three turrets of four guns each, than one of those turrets would face backwards and be unable to fire at a ship crossing the T; so it would get eight of twelve guns firing, while the T-crosser had its full broadside of twelve. With other turret arrangements you can get different numbers, but the point remains that crossing the T puts at least one enemy turret, probably about a third of its guns, out of action right away. And, of course, the effect is that much stronger if you cross the T to the enemy's rear, where you put two of his turrets out of action. Sailships, on the other hand, might have as much as 100 guns broadside and maybe 2 front chasers, so the ratio of guns in action to useless guns would be much better.

loki100 - The battle was based a little bit on Tsushima and a little bit on the River Plate (from WWII).

King of Men raises some very valid points, though I think he missed a few. The main armor scheme of a ship ran along the sides at the waterline, with additional armor for guns and engine areas if outside the belt. If hit from ahead or astern (or nearly so) this belt would be irrelevant and shells would meet almost no resistance. This 'angled around the armor' shot is one of the theories for the explosion of HMS Hood. (It may not be correct, and we may never know for sure because her remains lie upside down on the seabed, but as an explanation it does not violate known evidence. Sometimes the BB is a Golden BB.)

Additionally, any damage to gun directors and rangefinders would be easier to cope with if the enemy was also visible from the backup units - ie, broadside.

The biggest issues in gunnery aren't with aim but range. So a target eight hundred feet long and one hundred feet wide (target broadside) is harder to hit than one that is apparently one hundred feet long and eight hundred feet wide (target end-on). Working out range usually involved firing 'ladders' with two shells far over, two slightly over, two slightly short and two far short. This allowed fast correction for factors like actual range, bearing, rate of close, wind, barrel wear, etc and etc. Some gunnery officers compared naval gunnery to hitting a target at a mile range from a moving merry-go-round. :) The need for enough guns to fire 'ladders', the need to engage at ever-longer ranges and the difficulty in separating an 8" shell splash from a 12" shell splash drove the development of the 'All Big Gun' ship ('Dreadnoughts'). Well, that plus the evidence from Tsushima, where the ranges were long, the big guns did the damage and the medium to small caliber weapons were mostly useless.

So that's why you fight broadside on, and why Britain put such emphasis on superior speed.

'Victoria' doesn't value much in naval stats beyond having the newest ships. Battleships beat cruisers, cruisers beat ironclads, etc. Though, as we shall see, the process can be bloody.

Scouting was absolutely essential, and Britain let a couple of good opportunities slip in WWI because the cruisers or the battlecruisers couldn't or wouldn't give accurate, timely information to the battle line. Jellicoe basically 'guessed' which way to deploy at Jutland and got it right, only to lose the chance to smash the Germans completely when nobody bothered to tell him the Germans were crossing behind him in the night.

King of Men - good answer, with the caveat that sailing ships and steamships alike had MUCH thinner protection across the bows and stern than along the sides. In any case, fighting broadside-on was a must for capital ships, though cruisers and DDs could melee.

I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else has questions or comments, then onward to the next two naval battles. The general action in the Heligoland Bight is going to be rough.