• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sweet. :)

berhaven said:
to avoid it being captured?
to avoit it being split by a fast growing competitor nearby?
because you don't have a core on it?
because you conquered it just to shut it down?
because you plan to release this province as a vassall?

Dynamic player controlled COT look like a great idea.

That's just not very convincing.

1. By that logic, I better scuttle my ships before they have the chance to be captured by my opponents too, and choose -1 tax base whenever I can in an event on the off chance that my opponent will capture the province.

2. If you remove a Cot, you are encouraging neighbours to create their own, since all cots will have more trade in them. Unless, of course, you want to move your Cot. Say as Netherlands you conquer vlaandern, you could possibly want to close it and reopen it in Holland.

3. Wait for it? Get direct taxes on a +10 tax base provinces?

4. Why would you do that? Keeping it gives you +10 tax base. That's alot.

5. This is the only one that makes a bit of sence, really. But I'd just keep the province and the cot.

Question to Johan - What about colonial Cots? You won't be able to create them if you already have a Cot back home, is that WAD? Or will you just keep the colonial cots opening like they do now?

I hope we will not default to "mourning" over all previous rulers. ;) (especially if they suck)

Featauril said:
Wicked.

Why would you want to close a center of trade though? The +10 tax income is pretty nice...
Make it cheaper to maintain a monopoly on your CoTs.

FE: closing down colonial CoTs except those only you, and maybe a couple others, know about.

Featauril said:
If it's seriously stunting the growth of your current CoT with a core on it already, yes it makes perfect sense. For the next 50 years you'll likely just be handing your trade income from those provinces away...

I see a possible exploit to the CoT system, an example. I am playing Tuscany, having also conquered the pity states there and the Kingdom of Sicily. Since Tuscany is generally trading, my monthly income should be roughly 35 or more. Now I am able to mint for a couple of years and, for the cost of roughly 1,5 manufactories, open 3 new CoTs, stealing trade from Liguria, Venice and maybe Thrace. Increasing my income by 60 (monthly taxes + census)

I fear that since everybody will want to maximise their tax income the world will be dotted by a large number of <400 valued CoTs, making the income earned by a single merchant very little.

berhaven said:
to avoid it being captured?
to avoit it being split by a fast growing competitor nearby?
because you don't have a core on it?
because you conquered it just to shut it down?
because you plan to release this province as a vassall?

Dynamic player controlled COT look like a great idea.

just curious, but does the CoT bonus to Tax also decrease the chance for a successful religious conversion, or is that based solely on base tax value.

I like the CoT option, though I hope the AI wont be too crazy with it. Some stability in CoTs is desirable, and i remember find EU2's later patches "dynamic" CoTs to be an hassle more than a fix.

Regarding royal marriages, I assume theyll still be possible to strengthen relations and as a step up to diploannexation even while using historical monarchs, right? What about converting your historical ruler to a general, will that work?

about the distance to capital:
I think you should add that as a concept or something like it. Maybe if distance to capital is very far away=increase chance of revolt. Just think that if the americans weren't so far away from great britian if the US would be here today.
Originally Posted by Alerias
What about converting your historical ruler to a general, will that work?
IIRC, they said that if your ruler was a general then he shall be one, if not, he shall be not.

Ar7 said:
I see a possible exploit to the CoT system, an example. I am playing Tuscany, having also conquered the pity states there and the Kingdom of Sicily. Since Tuscany is generally trading, my monthly income should be roughly 35 or more. Now I am able to mint for a couple of years and, for the cost of roughly 1,5 manufactories, open 3 new CoTs, stealing trade from Liguria, Venice and maybe Thrace. Increasing my income by 60 (monthly taxes + census)

I fear that since everybody will want to maximise their tax income the world will be dotted by a large number of <400 valued CoTs, making the income earned by a single merchant very little.

You coudn't open 3 new cots. You can't open a cot in a province that is sending it's trade to a cot you own.

You would open your first cot, all italy would trade to it, and then you woudn't be able to open any more in italy or nearby.

Even if that wasn't the case, you can't create a cot from a cot that's worth less then 300 ducats, so after the first cot, between the three cots in italy there woudn't be much trade left in italy.

Featauril said:
That's just not very convincing.

1. By that logic, I better scuttle my ships before they have the chance to be captured by my opponents too, and choose -1 tax base whenever I can in an event on the off chance that my opponent will capture the province.

2. If you remove a Cot, you are encouraging neighbours to create their own, since all cots will have more trade in them. Unless, of course, you want to move your Cot. Say as Netherlands you conquer vlaandern, you could possibly want to close it and reopen it in Holland.

4. Why would you do that? Keeping it gives you +10 tax base. That's alot.

5. This is the only one that makes a bit of sence, really. But I'd just keep the province and the cot.

Question to Johan - What about colonial Cots? You won't be able to create them if you already have a Cot back home, is that WAD? Or will you just keep the colonial cots opening like they do now?

1. I was thinking of a war not going too well. It is a nice option to leave a less actractive province.
2. Not necessarely: province reallocation could open the chance to place a better suited COT.
3. While you wait 25 years you get a worldwide heavy penalty on trade: the balance with the +10 tax could be positive or not.
4. Again, if we're talking about Antwerp or Venice in early game, you're probably right, but there can be situations (Tahiti, or Mauritius) when you do not want to be obliged to invest heavily to defend a province just because you have a poor COT in it.

YAY ! THANK YOU JOHAN ! YOU MADE MY DAY !

I was DYING to know how we'd be able to create or close COTs ! :D

Man that IS good !

That CoT feature is a really good addition. I never liked that London or so don't have a CoT and there is nothing you can do about it.

Ar7 said:

Well, the chances of one of your provinces NOT trading with your own CoT is extremely small unless you own 100's of provinces. So, yeah, you can get one CoT...