+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Napoleon Dev-diary #8 - 3rd of August 2007

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black Cove
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    StarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of Nations500k club

This just keeps getting better and better!
    What will that 'Distance from capital' feature (from the first pic) affect/do?

Just call me Yoda in private!
    For The Glory

Some costs and time to travel.
    For the Glory: A Europa Universalis Game
    Go to FTG forum!

AGCEEP High Council Member
    AGCEEP Website

Relisez les couplets IX et XI de la Marseillaise

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black Cove
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    StarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of Nations500k club

Quote Originally Posted by YodaMaster
    Some costs and time to travel.
    Hm, I just realized it's just a tooltip, it's nothing new

Johan's Home Account Paradox Dev Team Balor's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by ZmajOgnjeniVuk
    This just keeps getting better and better!
    What will that 'Distance from capital' feature (from the first pic) affect/do?
    ah, its just a debug tooltip that i have always on when i test

Strategos ton Exkoubitores Fulcrumvale's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: Revolutions

Sweet.
    A History of Baden- Will Bernard I von Baden-Baden and his wife Anna von Oettingen lead Baden to victory or disaster?
    Nominated for the Weekly AAR Showcase, 9/25/06!/ Nominated for Best Character Writer of the Week, 10/29/06!/ Winner, Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2, Q3 2006!

"And the dream would grow ever grander and more wonderful, and the higher it reached towards the impossible, the more beguiling it became."--Emile Zola

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by berhaven
    to avoid it being captured?
    to avoit it being split by a fast growing competitor nearby?
    because you don't have a core on it?
    because you conquered it just to shut it down?
    because you plan to release this province as a vassall?

Dynamic player controlled COT look like a great idea.
    That's just not very convincing.

1. By that logic, I better scuttle my ships before they have the chance to be captured by my opponents too, and choose -1 tax base whenever I can in an event on the off chance that my opponent will capture the province.

2. If you remove a Cot, you are encouraging neighbours to create their own, since all cots will have more trade in them. Unless, of course, you want to move your Cot. Say as Netherlands you conquer vlaandern, you could possibly want to close it and reopen it in Holland.

3. Wait for it? Get direct taxes on a +10 tax base provinces?

4. Why would you do that? Keeping it gives you +10 tax base. That's alot.

5. This is the only one that makes a bit of sence, really. But I'd just keep the province and the cot.

Question to Johan - What about colonial Cots? You won't be able to create them if you already have a Cot back home, is that WAD? Or will you just keep the colonial cots opening like they do now?

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLegioEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Mount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    I hope we will not default to "mourning" over all previous rulers. (especially if they suck)

this is a nice addition

Deus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Featauril
    Wicked.

Why would you want to close a center of trade though? The +10 tax income is pretty nice...
    Make it cheaper to maintain a monopoly on your CoTs.

FE: closing down colonial CoTs except those only you, and maybe a couple others, know about.
    Best WW Death Ever as Eliria the Very Mean Girl in WWLite XXXII: My Super Sweet Sixteen

CK: DV Mod - Horde & Timurid Empire Mod v2.5
    CK: DV Mod (Computable with DVIP) - Automated Courtier Education Events v3.03.01

Deus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome: Vae Victis

If it's seriously stunting the growth of your current CoT with a core on it already, yes it makes perfect sense. For the next 50 years you'll likely just be handing your trade income from those provinces away...
    Best WW Death Ever as Eliria the Very Mean Girl in WWLite XXXII: My Super Sweet Sixteen

CK: DV Mod - Horde & Timurid Empire Mod v2.5
    CK: DV Mod (Computable with DVIP) - Automated Courtier Education Events v3.03.01

I see a possible exploit to the CoT system, an example. I am playing Tuscany, having also conquered the pity states there and the Kingdom of Sicily. Since Tuscany is generally trading, my monthly income should be roughly 35 or more. Now I am able to mint for a couple of years and, for the cost of roughly 1,5 manufactories, open 3 new CoTs, stealing trade from Liguria, Venice and maybe Thrace. Increasing my income by 60 (monthly taxes + census)

I fear that since everybody will want to maximise their tax income the world will be dotted by a large number of <400 valued CoTs, making the income earned by a single merchant very little.

Quote Originally Posted by berhaven
    to avoid it being captured?
    to avoit it being split by a fast growing competitor nearby?
    because you don't have a core on it?
    because you conquered it just to shut it down?
    because you plan to release this province as a vassall?

Dynamic player controlled COT look like a great idea.
    just curious, but does the CoT bonus to Tax also decrease the chance for a successful religious conversion, or is that based solely on base tax value.

I like the CoT option, though I hope the AI wont be too crazy with it. Some stability in CoTs is desirable, and i remember find EU2's later patches "dynamic" CoTs to be an hassle more than a fix.

Regarding royal marriages, I assume theyll still be possible to strengthen relations and as a step up to diploannexation even while using historical monarchs, right? What about converting your historical ruler to a general, will that work?

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of PrussiaEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

945 (EU3, Michigan) in between palm and ring finger
    Blog Entries
    about the distance to capital:
    I think you should add that as a concept or something like it. Maybe if distance to capital is very far away=increase chance of revolt. Just think that if the americans weren't so far away from great britian if the US would be here today.
    Originally Posted by Alerias
    What about converting your historical ruler to a general, will that work?
    IIRC, they said that if your ruler was a general then he shall be one, if not, he shall be not.
    EU3 Save Suite - your one stop shop for everything related to EU3 savegames.

I want you to contribute to great tools developed for Paradox. See this thread. Help with the parsing or with creating an EU4 Savegame editor

Think you're the best EU3 player? Check out the EU3 Hall of Fame
    Dealt: A polish colonel deals his last hand
    The Swiss Account: The average documentation of the stereotypical Swiss.
    "Cheese ages better than women but money is forever." - Davout
    EU3 Hurt and Heal Archive

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Ar7
    I see a possible exploit to the CoT system, an example. I am playing Tuscany, having also conquered the pity states there and the Kingdom of Sicily. Since Tuscany is generally trading, my monthly income should be roughly 35 or more. Now I am able to mint for a couple of years and, for the cost of roughly 1,5 manufactories, open 3 new CoTs, stealing trade from Liguria, Venice and maybe Thrace. Increasing my income by 60 (monthly taxes + census)

I fear that since everybody will want to maximise their tax income the world will be dotted by a large number of <400 valued CoTs, making the income earned by a single merchant very little.
    You coudn't open 3 new cots. You can't open a cot in a province that is sending it's trade to a cot you own.

You would open your first cot, all italy would trade to it, and then you woudn't be able to open any more in italy or nearby.

Even if that wasn't the case, you can't create a cot from a cot that's worth less then 300 ducats, so after the first cot, between the three cots in italy there woudn't be much trade left in italy.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

That's just not very convincing.

1. By that logic, I better scuttle my ships before they have the chance to be captured by my opponents too, and choose -1 tax base whenever I can in an event on the off chance that my opponent will capture the province.

2. If you remove a Cot, you are encouraging neighbours to create their own, since all cots will have more trade in them. Unless, of course, you want to move your Cot. Say as Netherlands you conquer vlaandern, you could possibly want to close it and reopen it in Holland.

4. Why would you do that? Keeping it gives you +10 tax base. That's alot.

5. This is the only one that makes a bit of sence, really. But I'd just keep the province and the cot.

Question to Johan - What about colonial Cots? You won't be able to create them if you already have a Cot back home, is that WAD? Or will you just keep the colonial cots opening like they do now?
    1. I was thinking of a war not going too well. It is a nice option to leave a less actractive province.
    2. Not necessarely: province reallocation could open the chance to place a better suited COT.
    3. While you wait 25 years you get a worldwide heavy penalty on trade: the balance with the +10 tax could be positive or not.
    4. Again, if we're talking about Antwerp or Venice in early game, you're probably right, but there can be situations (Tahiti, or Mauritius) when you do not want to be obliged to invest heavily to defend a province just because you have a poor COT in it.
    Nemo propheta in Patria

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

YAY ! THANK YOU JOHAN ! YOU MADE MY DAY !

I was DYING to know how we'd be able to create or close COTs !

Man that IS good !
    VIVE LE QUÉBEC LIBRE !

«Votre empire est une vieille catin habituée à se faire violer par tout le monde [...] Vous oubliez que la France est victorieuse» (Napoléon aux plénipotentiaires autrichiens)

That CoT feature is a really good addition. I never liked that London or so don't have a CoT and there is nothing you can do about it.
    Very few of us realise with conviction the intensely unusual, unstable, complicated, unreliable, temporary nature of the economic organisation by which Western Europe has lived for the last half century. We assume some of the most peculiar and temporary of our late advantages as natural, permanent, and to be depended on, and we lay our plans accordingly. On this sandy and false foundation we scheme for social improvement and dress our political platforms, pursue our animosities and particular ambitions, and feel ourselves with enough margin in hand to foster, not assuage, civil conflict in the European family. Moved by insane delusion and reckless self-regard, the German people overturned the foundations on which we all lived and built.
    John M. Keynes, 1919

St. Divieto of Affissione Kuitenkin's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I hope you historicalists are happy now. Anyway, that CoT thing must be the best news since... the announcement of Deus Vult.

Johan's Home Account Paradox Dev Team Balor's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Ar7

Well, the chances of one of your provinces NOT trading with your own CoT is extremely small unless you own 100's of provinces. So, yeah, you can get one CoT...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast