+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Napoleon Dev-diary #8 - 3rd of August 2007

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Napoleon Dev-diary #8 - 3rd of August 2007

It’s yet another Friday, and I am busy wrapping this project up. Before I go off for a weekend of resting, I’ll give you some sneakpeaks in this little development diary though.

One of the most eagerly awaited features of Napoleons Ambition is the option to go with Historical Monarchs/Leaders/Advisors. Here you see me running with the option of historical monarchs, and I get Karl XII on the historical date. Running with this option means more historical flavor, at the expense of some gameplay-options like succession wars, royal marriages and inheritances as they will not serve any purpose.

As mentioned last week, we have expanded the scripting capacity of the game-engine severly. With the following effects added upon the large amounts already existing, you could create very powerful usermods. For example, if you so determine, you could have entirely different dynasty-chains for different countries appearing depending on choices.

Code:
    any_owned = {}
    any_neighbor_country = {}
    random_center_of_trade = {}
    set_revolution_target = this/from/tag
    country_event = event_id
    province_event = event_id
    remove_province_modifier = <modifier>
    remove_country_modifier	= <modifier>
    revolt_risk = <num>
    create_marriage	 = this/from/tag		
    create_alliance	 = this/from/tag		
    create_admiral = <power>
    create_explorer	= <power>
    create_conquistador = <power>
    create_general = <power>
    create_colony = <size>
    remove_merchant = this/from/random/tag	
    send_merchant = this/from/random/tag	
    kill_ruler = "name" / this		
    kill_leader = "name"
    define_admiral = { name, stats etc..}
    define_explorer = { name, stats etc..}
    define_conquistador = { name, stats etc..}
    define_general = { name, stats etc..}
    random_empty_neighbor_province = {}
    release_vassal= this/from/random/tag

In Napoleons Ambition you will be able to create new centres of trade as well as destroy them. You can create a new centre in any of your provinces that fullfill the following conditions. It must be trading with a centre of trade not owned by you, that centre must trade at least 400 ducats worth, and you must be able to afford to pay 500 gold to open it. You can only close centres that you own, if they are worth less than 300 ducats of trade in total. This screenshot shows my England that could afford splitting the Burgundy CoT by opening their own trade in London. There are a lot of strategic options to this, and it will change quite a lot how trade works in the game.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV

Wicked.

Why would you want to close a center of trade though? The +10 tax income is pretty nice...

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    93 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Nice update
    Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual
    If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...

Europa Universalis IV
    MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<<

M&T Subforum | M&T en Français | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3
    Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp.
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication
    Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club !

Star Swirl the Bearded Baneslave's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Featauril
    Why would you want to close a center of trade though? The +10 tax income is pretty nice...
    To make another, bigger one? To Centralise your COT to your heartland

HoI AnthologyDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

oh, changed the sign of building a ship, have we?

Nice update . Can't wait.

Deputy Citizen Commisar Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegioEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by basharious

Nice update . Can't wait.
    Looks like... Mercenaries have their own window?

It'll be interesting to see how the COT creation feature works. 500 ducats seems pretty cheap.
    How will the AI utilise it?
    Hono(u)rary Texan

"As a matter of fact, I swallowed one of these about 3 hours ago. The explanation is, that it is infact, my hand"

Good to hear, although i'm a little concerned about the possible exploits associated with being able to set up COTs at whim.

I think that limiting the number of COTs that you can open in a given time frame and based upon the size of your empire would be one way of controlling COT expansion. I imagine that having the AI of every large empire open up a COT in would be a bit chaotic for the world market.

I do see a lot of promise for this feature. To add another strategic element to it, would it be possible to implement a feature whereby your colonies would automatically send their goods to your COT if you open one up rather than sending them to another faction's COT?

That would indeed be a cool feature.

Just call me Yoda in private!
    For The Glory

What about break_marriage and break_alliance?
    For the Glory: A Europa Universalis Game
    Go to FTG forum!

AGCEEP High Council Member
    AGCEEP Website

Relisez les couplets IX et XI de la Marseillaise

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by basharious
    London has no port, and can't build ships

Johan Andersson

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spier
    Good to hear, although i'm a little concerned about the possible exploits associated with being able to set up COTs at whim.

I think that limiting the number of COTs that you can open in a given time frame and based upon the size of your empire would be one way of controlling COT expansion. I imagine that having the AI of every large empire open up a COT in would be a bit chaotic for the world market.

I do see a lot of promise for this feature. To add another strategic element to it, would it be possible to implement a feature whereby your colonies would automatically send their goods to your COT if you open one up rather than sending them to another faction's COT?

There is no "at whim".. as you can only do it if that CoT is rich enough to support a split.. and you are not owning it..

so even if you own a 1300 worth Lissabon CoT, you can't create a new one out of it.. since you cant split your own.. but an enemy can and will..

Johan Andersson

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

So the Kalmar Union will go on when using historical monarchs?

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    93 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    London has no port, and can't build ships
    What's that icon for, then ?
    Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual
    If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...

Europa Universalis IV
    MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<<

M&T Subforum | M&T en Français | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3
    Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp.
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication
    Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club !

HoI AnthologyDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Is there any specific way to attract merchants to your COT?! Does prestige have to do with it?! BB?!

Also, thanks for clearing the London thing. So in the case of no port, Mercenaries get their own button?! Or what is the button?!

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seelensturm
    So the Kalmar Union will go on when using historical monarchs?
    until the day it ended historically.

Johan Andersson

Quote Originally Posted by spier

A seemingly reasonable modification would be to use the same costing factors for CoT as exist for maufacturies. The more you own, the costlier they are to open. This would also give a reason to close a small one you own in order to save on the cost of opening one in a better location.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowfling44
    A seemingly reasonable modification would be to use the same costing factors for CoT as exist for maufacturies. The more you own, the costlier they are to open. This would also give a reason to close a small one you own in order to save on the cost of opening one in a better location.
    Sounds like a great idea.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV

Creating new COTs looks like a great addition.
    Was würde Brian Boitano tun?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

It should make trade very different in mp

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Featauril
    Wicked.

to avoid it being captured?
    to avoit it being split by a fast growing competitor nearby?
    because you don't have a core on it?
    because you conquered it just to shut it down?
    because you plan to release this province as a vassall?

Dynamic player controlled COT look like a great idea.
    Nemo propheta in Patria

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    EU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

lo·ca·tion n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
    The CoT feature sounds awesome, it will be a great addition to the game.
    - I regret to say I have never heard of Kraftwerk.
    J M Coetzee

Liberty and Responsibility, Equality and Solidarity, Fraternity and Compassion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast