+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 99 1 2 3 11 26 51 76 ... LastLast

Thread: There Will Be War

There Will Be War

With the Great Game aka March Through Time coming to a close a new conversion game of CK-EU-Ricky-DD is beginning.

In December** though because King of Men will be busy come september so I'll start off our thread now and slowly collect people for then.

Game: Crusader Kings

Country Roster:

Byzantium: Sid Meier
    Russia:
    Kyiv/Novgorod: King of Men
    Poland:
    Germany:
    -Saxony(?):Binnesman
    France: Duke Bryan
    -Lorraine: carillon
    England:Sabaron
    Lincoln: Cuthuthulu
    Spain:
    Italy:
    -Napoli: Okawoa

Norway:El-Wrongo

I personally intend to switch to China come EU2 time though.

Any mods suggestions, rules, etc are all welcome in the mean time maybe before december we can have a through practice sessions. Choose top 3 picks so that I and KoM can determine whose whose come December-ish based on whose still here.

**Seems like we may start as soon as The Great Game is finished and come september King of Men will leave and then come back rather then postpone.
    Last edited by Sid Meier; 03-08-2007 at 18:58.
    He who wishes to fight must first count the cost. When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and their ardor will be dampened. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength. Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain. Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor dampened, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue... In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

i will be england

and is there any idea for the time i would rather play on a weekend.

my post im pretty sure detailed saturday sometime in december.
    He who wishes to fight must first count the cost. When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and their ardor will be dampened. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength. Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain. Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor dampened, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue... In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Leading the Mombotian Horde Lurken's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

At the Temple of Mombot, nailing up 103 boards
    Go go magic Castille? Did it before, in MTT which kinda crashed.

Can try it again, btw I'm not so sure that Venice is playable.
    "Godfather of the Superpower games" according to people
    Bought a big case of beer to Pdox
    Proud owner of 3 mouldy Phoenix cookies ●●●
    Pathetic and Brave King of Poland in Battlefront IV - Lords of War
    Shifty Leader of <random/> nation in Diplomacy Universalis 1.5

Rythin, the mad warmongerer and Lurken, the semi-peaceful builder in
    "Lurken and Rythin in the land of sand - The wacky Mzab adventures." - it's aaalive....Well...not really. It is quite dead. Undead?
    Minister of Information and Groupies for OT-President rafiki

The plight and return of B'mo'otm - an AAR, like I've never done before - Redux

I did ok until my country collapsed to realm duress.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Gimme France. Be aware though that I might not be able to play! December is much too far in the future for me to be able to schedule anything reliably.

Probably best if all those interested made top 3 choices.

1- Byzantium
    2- Kiev
    3- Novgorod.

Also, note: being a conversion game it would be nice that all who pos here could make the vague commitment to play the game through the conversions, also making the eventual commitment to acquire and make sure they own at the given times Crusader King's, Europe Universalis II/III (haven't decided yet), Victoria: Revolutions, and Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday Armageddon.

For those who dont like the EU stage and wish to leave at conversion we promise not to harm you or your children, assuming we successfully play the 400 years of CK with you, we will undoubtably have been glad to have you then and wish you good luck.
    Last edited by Sid Meier; 30-07-2007 at 02:47.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Resident Opportunist King of Men's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

I was banned from religion threads before it was cool. And after it was cool.
    Actually, one thousand-year realm for Norway is enough. I'd prefer something Eastern European, I think. But perhaps we could start out as Dukes, or even Counts? Starting as kings makes Crusading a little too easy. I also think we want to introduce the rule that URR used to limit crusading: One DOW against pagans/moslems per ruler lifetime, two if you have the Crusader trait, and you can always DOW the crusade target.

I must say I agree with Sabaron, though, it's a bit early to be making plans for December. Conceivably we could start a bit earlier, say when the Great Game finishes, and I would just drop out in September and come back in December. If my kingdom went to hell meanwhile, oh well, c'est la vie.
    MP Megacampaigns :
    The Great Game: CK, EU2, EU2 stats, Vicky, Doomsday.
    There Will Be War: CK, EU3, Vicky, Arma.
    Children of the Fatherland: Crusader Kings. Divine Wind I II Victoria 2
    Final update 22-January-2013: Final Overview
    God Will Know His Own: CK2 EU3

Germany. If we're doing less than kings, I'll take any smaller German nation.

Also, I'm ridiculously noob at CK, so I'll be asking a lot of questions.

Dukes within your particular Kingdom, although I would really like Byzantium to be an exception to this rule though considering you know a single duke can make up for the fact that an AI Byz cant hold off the Seljuks. Since remember, it would be me facing off against one of the greatest hordes of AI armies ever, I think that perfectly balances off starting off as a King.

The 1-2 dow per lifetime rule is also a good idea.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

On second thought Castille wouldn't be so fun. A duke in England would be more fun I think...

"Lurken and Rythin in the land of sand - The wacky Mzab adventures." - it's aaalive....Well...not really. It is quite dead. Undead?

I would also like to join. I have to look into how a emulated copy works multiplayer wise, if it doesn't work, then I will have to install *sigh* Windows, which may be a problem (although not a very bad one) one since I don't happen to own a copy at the moment.

I also need to know:
    Which time zone we are talking about
    What game setup (1.05, no mods?)
    What rules etc.

For the record, I disagree with only one DoW per ruler lifetime, as that makes life sucky for Scandinavia, and I often have rulers ruling 60-80 years at the time. Maybe something a little less drastic as each 10th or 20th year?

All that said, I have never played CK multiplayer, so I wouldn't really know what is best.

It is really hard to decide what dynasty to play. Croatia is generally very fun, but ultimately to walled in by its neighbours.

Denmark, Sweden and Norway are all nations I would like to play as, same goes with Dutchy of Gwennyd or Dutchy of Leinnster. The problem with the Welsh and Irish would however be what to do after you have become King (perhaps becoming a Gnikiv, ie reversed viking).
    Code:
    Member of the Ahistorical Association (NAMBLA) Self proclaimed Slacker

I for one, am a Swede, aka CET timezone. And I would think that 1.05 with no mods is the most stable version of CK out there, and from my experiance, you need every bit of stability you can squeeze out of CKMP.

Indeed, also ill try to find us a ftp server so I can upload the save, basicially I have determined that the save game file can reach up to 50 mb and Pdox seems to have the most inefficient zipping algorithm I have ever seen as it takes an excruciating long time to compress the save and pass it to the other players.

It has proven that in the game I played with Sabaron, Joohoo, and Sterk that manually compressing the save uploading it, and having everyone downloading it during each rehost was noticibly faster then using the game's ingame compressor.

Also I woud like everyone to make the commitment to purchase and set up a microphone and download the reamspeak client at www.goteamspeak.com

basicially if we can all talk to each other and hear each other online via teamspeak we will know right away when someone crashes and formulate our rehost strategy.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by El-Wrongo
    I would also like to join. I have to look into how a emulated copy works multiplayer wise, if it doesn't work, then I will have to install *sigh* Windows, which may be a problem (although not a very bad one) one since I don't happen to own a copy at the moment.
    I strongly suspect that emulation will not work. CK is not that stable in MP no matter what you do; emulating Windows would just be icing on the cake.

For the record, I disagree with only one DoW per ruler lifetime, as that makes life sucky for Scandinavia, and I often have rulers ruling 60-80 years at the time. Maybe something a little less drastic as each 10th or 20th year?
    The advantage of the ruler lifetime is that it's relatively easy to enforce. As for being sucky for Scandinavia, the whole point is to avoid the phenomenon of Finland being conquered in the 1070s and Christianised by 1100; we want to see some sort of historical realism. And our experience in URR was that this worked extremely well; the Holy Land was still a patchwork of sheikhs and tiny Crusader kingdoms in 1250. Going on Crusade is a lot more exciting when you will only be doing it once in the next twenty years! And, of course, it gives you some extra strategic options in the choice of heirs; a healthy, well-statted one is nice and all, but on the other hand three sickly weaklings in a row could be better for expansion. Anyway, I don't see why it penalises Scandinavia particularly; you've still got your work cut out unifying the peninsula.

As for times, the current time slot of the Great Game, plus one hour, works reasonably well for me; that is, Saturdays, 0800 Pacific Time.
    MP Megacampaigns :

500k club

Oh, I forgot what I originally intended to post: Would we want to use Deus Vult? Personally I'm drooling at the thought of an expansion, CK could really use some TLC. On the other hand it means waiting for late September, plus possibly a couple of patches in case of stability issues.
    MP Megacampaigns :

Quote Originally Posted by King of Men
    Oh, I forgot what I originally intended to post: Would we want to use Deus Vult? Personally I'm drooling at the thought of an expansion, CK could really use some TLC. On the other hand it means waiting for late September, plus possibly a couple of patches in case of stability issues.
    New CK expansion? That sounds great, I believe it will be well worth waiting for.

Also, what is the differential between Pacific and GMT?

How do you gain the Crusader title anyways?

I generally sees every few years, but rarely at my own characters. May just be that I rarely takes up the Cross and goes to the holy land, but prefer to pillage and and loot helpless counts and dukes in the Baltics (ie: Livland and Kurland).
    Code:
    Member of the Ahistorical Association (NAMBLA) Self proclaimed Slacker

Hmm I dunno what does the expansion do?
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Damn, the expansion looks pretty good. Grr wait for sept or not.....
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 99 1 2 3 11 26 51 76 ... LastLast