• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KAding

Captain
60 Badges
May 27, 2004
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pride of Nations
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
Whats the deal with the activations after entering the license key? This sounds like a different system than the other games from Gamers Gate, which don't put limits on how often you install a game?

Does this mean I can only install 4 times?

After reading the manual, it seems Gamersgate (Paradox) has a different kind of licensing than Battlefront (developer). They state you can install (and play) the game on 2 computers concurrently (see page 13). It also states that you could un-license it to free up installations. Also un-installing would free up a license. At least on Vista x64 the mentioned right click context menu item and the licensing center are not there. Has Paradox removed this methods or do they simply not work on Vista?
After some investigation my conclusion is that Paradox removed the licensing model of Battlefront and uses one of Protection Technology Ltd. (Starforce). So there is no way of un-licensing. When I think how often I have re-installed games due to HDD changes, motherboard changes etc. the model used by Paradox is worse than that used by Battlefront itself.

It is always very elating (sarcasm) when DRM or copy protection are the cause for a program not working as intended.

Which leads to the following question:
Does the discrepancy between the official documentation and the actual impossiblity concerning un-licensing qualify for legal action?
Should not Paradox have mentioned on Gamergate that DRM protection is used and which restrictions are imposed by it? During my purchase nothing was mentioned about this.
I am not advertising that copy protection itself should be removed (as we all know it prevents the casual "pirate" but not the comercially working software pirate and it always hampers the rightful user). But there should be a way to release one license to regain it for a new installation (like Battlefront does).

Last edited:
Yes, I would really like to have definitive answer from Paradox on this. How does this work? Does uninstalling the game give back the license? I can't find anything about this?

I already install the game at my student home. I'm planning to visit my parents home this week. Does that mean I'll 'use up' another license for installing it there? And when I install it on my laptop? What if I buy a new computer? What if I format?

None of this appears to be documented?

Wolfox said:
I'd also like to know more about this issue from Gamer's Gate/Paradox. No responses yet?

Our original policy has been that the game should be able to be activated 3 times; we have also discussed with people from time to time if they wanted to activated the game more times. Overall I think this is a fair solution; the e-license system (which we have evaluated as well) forces you to de-active the game to get new activations. From our end we have chosen a certain number of activations and a close customer contact through our support-system instead.

We constantly evaluate our systems and we are happy to hear your further feedback on this. We do our best to continue improving our service.

F

Last edited:
And here I thought the gamersgate activation count was supposed to reset over time so you are not shafted if you want to go back to some old game after years (like, ahem, combat mission!)

barleyman said:
And here I thought the gamersgate activation count was supposed to reset over time so you are not shafted if you want to go back to some old game after years (like, ahem, combat mission!)

That's our overall idea, yes. It has to be handled manually at the moment though.

F

This really should be written down somewhere before you buy it! In fact, this is in clear contradiction with the gamersgate help page which states:

Q: Can I install the games on my Laptop as well?
A: You can install the games on any of your computers as long as that computer has an internet connection.

Q: Will I be able to install the game on my new computer once I upgrade my hardware?
A: Yes, the game stays available online through your GamersGate account.

Q: I have re-downloaded the game and it does not install anymore. What can I do?
A: In order to prevent fraud and account sharing we monitor the number of different IP's an installation originates from made per account. If your account/game has been locked due to a high number of different IP's used within a period of time please get in touch with us at support@gamersgate.com

So this is false? I find this very unprofessional. I explicitly checked the gamersgate and battlefront websites on the rules concerning installation. I chose gamersgate because I had good experiences with it in the past and because it's system was less restrictive. And now it appears the explanation on gamersgate was deceptive and incorrect.

I use my computers professionally and for private use and frequently reinstall the OS'es. Heck, I probably already installed EU3 like 8 times on different computers since it was released in January :). I'm very displeased that I will have to ask paradox for permission through email to install my game sometime in the future. I'm most angry though about the fact that I was deceived by information on the gamersgate site!

KAding said:
This really should be written down somewhere before you buy it! In fact, this is in clear contradiction with the gamersgate help page which states:

So this is false? I find this very unprofessional. I explicitly checked the gamersgate and battlefront websites on the rules concerning installation. I chose gamersgate because I had good experiences with it in the past and because it's system was less restrictive. And now it appears the explanation on gamersgate was deceptive and incorrect.

I use my computers professionally and for private use and frequently reinstall the OS'es. Heck, I probably already installed EU3 like 8 times on different computers since it was released in January :). I'm very displeased that I will have to ask paradox for permission through email to install my game sometime in the future. I'm most angry though about the fact that I was deceived by information on the gamersgate site!

I will need to check this in detail with parts of the tech team that is currently out of the office. Our overall idea is to have professional and correct information on the site. I will make sure to look into this further.

F

Since you ask for feedback I would like to share some.

I have cancelled my order after reading this thread. I had thought the only security Paradox was requiring was the CD in the computer. I refused to purchase the game from Battlefront, even though a larger manual and cheaper price was available, because I now refuse to purchase games requiring any contact with the seller after I purchase it. It may well be my computer game playing days are over, and that is OK if they must be.

While this new level of security is put in place to possibly stop theft, the result is it garuntees a loss of sale. I don't state any of this to argue the point, sometimes company reps respond explaining why they think it is a good idea and I'm sure Paradox and Battlefront have their reasons. I simplyl state from my perspective I don't care, I won't spend anymore money with your companies. Everyone looses, but so be it I guess. I hope you will reconsider your decisions, but understand if you do not.

Thank you for allowing me to share this.

Bill

Our original policy has been that the game should be able to be activated 3 times; we have also discussed with people from time to time if they wanted to activated the game more times. Overall I think this is a fair solution; the e-license system (which we have evaluated as well) forces you to de-active the game to get new activations. From our end we have chosen a certain number of activations and a close customer contact through our support-system instead.

We constantly evaluate our systems and we are happy to hear your further feedback on this. We do our best to continue improving our service.

JudgeDredd said:
Seems like it.
I don't like it, but the price of piracy comes dear nowadays

Actually any pirate worth his salt is not bothered by eLicenses, activation schemes, Starforce, you name it. Cracking such schemes is a badge of honor for a pirate group, and usually there is a race between the various groups to be the first to claim "We were the first to crack it!" I still remember the challenge given by a famous title by Valve: it took to the pirates one week instead of the usual 36-48 hours to provide a self-installing version that bypassed online activation. Hard stuff.

And, no, I'm not a pirate: I just like to watch the scene from the window.

The price for the average paying Joe, OTOH... :rolleyes:

I just noticed upgrading the CPU also invalidates an license activation. I updated my computer from an Athlon 3500+ to an Athlon 3800+ X2 Dual Core (without changing the motherboard) and Combat Mission demanded that I enter the license key again. Just one activation left now ;).

Last edited:
Greek said:
Since you ask for feedback I would like to share some.

I have cancelled my order after reading this thread. I had thought the only security Paradox was requiring was the CD in the computer. I refused to purchase the game from Battlefront, even though a larger manual and cheaper price was available, because I now refuse to purchase games requiring any contact with the seller after I purchase it. It may well be my computer game playing days are over, and that is OK if they must be.

While this new level of security is put in place to possibly stop theft, the result is it garuntees a loss of sale. I don't state any of this to argue the point, sometimes company reps respond explaining why they think it is a good idea and I'm sure Paradox and Battlefront have their reasons. I simplyl state from my perspective I don't care, I won't spend anymore money with your companies. Everyone looses, but so be it I guess. I hope you will reconsider your decisions, but understand if you do not.

Thank you for allowing me to share this.

Bill

I thought the activation was only for the gamersgate version? Doesn't the Paradox retail version just include the standard securom copy protection system, which just requires you to have the CD in the drive?

I could be wrong though, maybe a Paradox employee could confirm this.

The CD from Paradox does not require elicensing, the downloaded one does. This is a paradox forum and the person from Parados only mentioned the elicensing, so it appeared the CD would have the same requirement. It does not, but my comments as to elicensing still apply, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Bill

Fredrik II said:
I will need to check this in detail with parts of the tech team that is currently out of the office. Our overall idea is to have professional and correct information on the site. I will make sure to look into this further.

F

Any updates on this ? I just bought trough gamersgate and got the activations left: 4 too, it should have been mentionned I think

Wish I had found this thread earlier, had I known this I wouldn't have purchased, especially since it uses starforce (now I will have to remove it from my system all over again)

I liked Gamersgate for it's transparent copy protection system (not annoying for the customer), but if it starts to install starforce with it's new games ...

Madtrack said:
Any updates on this ? I just bought trough gamersgate and got the activations left: 4 too, it should have been mentionned I think

Wish I had found this thread earlier, had I known this I wouldn't have purchased, especially since it uses starforce (now I will have to remove it from my system all over again)

I liked Gamersgate for it's transparent copy protection system (not annoying for the customer), but if it starts to install starforce with it's new games ...

We will remove the activations and give you the opportunity to download it as many times as you want to your computer. This will not be done immediately, but some time in the future.

F

Fredrik II said:
We will remove the activations and give you the opportunity to download it as many times as you want to your computer. This will not be done immediately, but some time in the future.

F

I'm glad to hear that, thanks for the very prompt reply

I surfed around the battlefront website and it seems they went nuts with copy protection system :wacko:, so this was probably not your choice to start with

Just as feedback Part of the reason I respect Paradox that much as a company is that they don't treat me as a pirate to start with, even the physical versions I can safely store the CD until I need to install again, companies that respect I tend to respect them I return (and even pay a little extra like purchasing collectors edition and such to support them), whereas I simply refuse to buy games with intrusive protection system

So I hope Paradox stays that way :)

Cheers,

I will never purchase a game with activation limits. Ever. I was interested in Shock Force but researched the DRM (I always do) Even at 10 bucks, no way.

I know this one doesn't have Tages but if a game is labeled with Tages it is the purchase repellent for Mr. mbar.