• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello guys, I am now back from the holidays and we are now working hard to reach our goal and wrap this for an August release. The team we have here has now been strengthened with a few new people, including some really talented artists who will have a great impact on our future games.

Today’s first screen shows two features that have been requested frequently by our users. First of all, you can now rename all your regiments and ships, which should cater to those of you who like to customize as much as possible. The other feature is more important for gameplay, and includes the possibility to consolidate regiments of the same type in an army to force a lean mean fighting machine of what you have left after a major battle.

na_jul27a.jpg

We have added quite a few new triggers for the modders to use for events, triggered modifiers, spy actions and also, new for NA, to allow which Ideas a country could pick. Here is the current list of documented triggers, the effects might be shown in a later development diary.

Code:
is_revolution_target = yes/no
revolution_target_exists = yes/no
controlled_by = <tag/this/from>
truce_with = <tag>
navy_size_percentage  = <percent>
army_size_percentage = <percent> 
max_manpower_greater_than = <num>
overseas_provinces_percentage = <percent> 
placed_merchants = num
trade_income_percentage = <percent>
gold_income_percentage = <percent>
total_merchants = <num>
at_war_with_religious_enemy = yes/no
has_border_with_religious_enemy = yes/no
has_empty_adjacent_province= yes/no
has_ruler = <name>
has_leader = <name>
ai = yes/no
number_of_colonies = <num>
can_create_vassals = <yes>
is_possible_vassal = tag
province_id = <num>
vassal_of = <tag>
alliance_with = <tag/this/from>
marriage_with = <tag/this/from> 
trade_agreement_with = <tag/this/from>
trade_embargo_by = <tag/this/from>
junior_union_with = <tag/this/from>
senior_union_with = <tag/this/from>

The second screenshot here shows a major concept to the warfare introduced by Napoleon's Ambition. Discipline. This represents the effectiveness of your troops, the basic value is always 100% and is not affected by advancements in technology. Instead national ideas and sliders can increase this value. The greater your discipline the more likely your troops will be to do damage to the enemy. The reason for this concept, is to simulate the difference between quality troops and quantity troops, as in previous incarnations of the game, quality gave higher morale. That caused even more casualties for a quality army, which ironically made it a worse choice for a small country.

na_jul27b.jpg

I take it then that the morale bonus for Quality is being replaced by Discipline, or in addition to? And I am guessing that some of the new NIs are related to discipline then? Is discipline nation specific (Army and Navy), or Army/Navy split?

Nice to see some updates. Quite ironic I just read the post asking when is the next update and I just noticed this :)

I like the dicipline - I think it should also be effected by the troops morale because the lower the morale the more chance of them running away etc.

Wow, this is indeed a great dev diary, lots of valuable infos, expecially for modders.
Can you give us some official words on when exactly in August the expansion should come out?
Another question, have you thought about implementing something like experience of regiments?
Keep up the great works!

Woohoo... looks great :)

I love all of it

That discipline modifier certainly sounds like a good addition. And it adds another layer of roleplay. I for one have always been weak for well-disciplined armies like that of Prussians or Spartans.

"is_revolution_target" in the mods?

That almost suggests that revolutions now have a target, and particular can have multiple targets. If this means rebels will go for certain provinces instead of wandering around at random, then this is best news I've seen yet.

Thanks for the update, Johan. :)

So discipline works a bit similar to organisation in the other games?

BTW, why would you want to merge regiments? After all, reinforcements are free while new regiments would cost you money... :confused:

Zanza said:
Thanks for the update, Johan. :)

So discipline works a bit similar to organisation in the other games?

BTW, why would you want to merge regiments? After all, reinforcements are free while new regiments would cost you money... :confused:

Weak regiments fight worse, so one regiment with 500 people is better than 10 regiments with 50 people. Consolidating your regiments makes your army stronger without having to wait for 20 months of reinforcements.

But you are right, you lose regiments which cost money. But its a nice option, I like it :)

Nice to finally see some updates again ! (About time if you asked me ;) )

I like the Discipline idea very much.

Nice, thanks Johan :)

I'm curious about this trigger:

truce_with = <tag>

Does that mean that its asking if two nations have a truce (i.e. the years immediately following a war) or does it cause a white peace if already at war? That could be very useful for many events.

Wombat101 said:
I'm curious about this trigger:

truce_with = <tag>

Does that mean that its asking if two nations have a truce (i.e. the years immediately following a war) or does it cause a white peace if already at war? That could be very useful for many events.
Its a trigger which means its can trigger an event set to go off if nations have had a war recently.

Bravo! if you ask me that was one long holiday :p . Just kidding. The discipline is going to bring the game a whole new idea. Wait! I think one of the ideas from a early dev-diary might be to increase discipline (the one with those guys with tall black hats.) Can't wait to see what the new artists have brought to this awesome game.