• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Funkatronica said:
plus i really love the semi-historical style - will you go into the politics of the time or is that too deep?
Too dangerous! Imagine if you get it wrong, Dury will be unbearable! :eek:

An update as promised.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

HMASPerth-1.jpg

HMASPerth.jpg

As was expected the government focused mainly on upgrading and reinforcing the current military forces instead of expanding them. However, despite this HMAS Perth was still commissioned on the 14th January 1936. This surprised some of the populace as the economy was still stagnating. However, the majority of the populace was glad as it was a statement of intent that the government was not going to leave Australia defenseless in any future war.

DeathofKingGeorge.jpg

However, this national state of happiness was tempered by the news received from the government in London that King George V had passed away after a struggle against a multitude of various illnesses including emphysema and bronchitis. This caused great sadness and would lead to the creation of King George Square, Brisbane in 1938 as a tribute to him. This piece of grave news was then followed by the announcement that the Fuhrer of Germany, Adolf Hitler, had ordered troops into the demilitarized Rhineland in direct defiance of the Treaty of Versailles.

Australiansoldiers2.jpg

Infantry soldiers off to join up with
the rest of the 1st Australian Army.

The military also set forth a plan for the Australian Infantry and Cavalry divisions to be grouped under the command of General Bingham-White and the combined army group would be known as the 1st Australian Imperial Force (AIF). This caused uproar as it was seen as an insult to the many members of the original AIF that had lost their lives in the Dardanelles and Northern France during the Great War. This led for the army group to be renamed the 1st Australian Army.

OldParliamentHouse.jpg

The scene of an unprecedented debate on whether
Australia should remain allied to Britain and France.

The year of 1936 also saw the rise of an anti-British element which felt that Australia’s continued allegiance to the British cause could only drag Australia into an inevitable war with the increasingly dictatorial and militaristic powers of Nazi Germany, Japan and Italy. This anti-British element was so significant that the matter was even discussed in Parliament House, Canberra where a sizeable proportion of those present conceded that this minority had sound foundations for their concerns. This would cause the Australian Government problems in the future.*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*This last paragraph is fiction which was created to allow some leeway with future developments.

Finally, next time on Glory, Honour or Death - An Australian '36 AAR:

Buggered if I know.

Prussian_King said:
Finally, next time on Glory, Honour or Death - An Australian '36 AAR:

Buggered if I know.
Huzzah! An attitude I heartily approve of, although this anti-British sentiment is worrying, most worrying... :eek:

Tribolute said:
Just a hint: If you were going to go in a fascist direction, i would take inspiration from DeGroot and the New Guard when they activated against Jack Lang in the early-mid 30's.
However, I am attempting to find a way to leave the loyalty to Britain behind. In complete contrast this was one of the New Guard's principles.

Prussian_King said:
However, I am attempting to find a way to leave the loyalty to Britain behind. In complete contrast this was one of the New Guard's principles.
True True.

There were always a few contention points you could take advantage of, just they're during the war.
"Pig Iron Bob" - Robert Menzies while in office sold Pig Iron to the Japanese, who then used to build planes to bomb Darwin.
Canberra Air Disaster of 1940, took out half the bloody cabinet in a freak accident.
Curtin after Singapore pushed towards America... who says it has to be after Singapore.

Your communist would probably be Lance Sharkey.
good website to just browse about for any possible australian figure

Prussian_King said:
Thanks for the help Tribolute.

What is Curtin?

Thanks,
PK

:eek: What is Curtin indeed... mate, if you're going to write an Aussie AAR you need to do a bit of research at least!!! I mean, were you born under a cabbage leaf or what?!? Curtin is JOHN CURTIN, the Prime Minister from 1941-45!!!!!!!!!!!! [Unbearable enough Pippy? :D ]

Seriously though, you're looking at a tremendous leap in any direction if you expect Australia to leave the Commonwealth. Christ, we still can't decide to get rid of the Queen now, how the ruddy hell would we do it back then?!?

You'll need a lot more back story and changed events if you want to have us leave the British Alliance... and it would have to be a strengthening of the political left. Something to do with the Depression and Lang is probably your best bet but 1936 is too late for that to develop.

I wouldn't call that particularly unbearable Durry, just a righteous outpouring caused by the pain of a potentially painfully ahistoric AAR.

Anyway I would agree with your general thrust, it would take a huge sea change in public and political opinion to drag Australia away from Britian.

Frankly in the time frame (or indeed ever) its tricky to justify how going Republican would change anything practical, beyond yet more politicians knocking around demanding a wage, offices, bribes and loose women. (That is not a knock on Australian politicians, its a knock on every politician the world over.)

Current leading idea at the moment is:

Stay neutral, wait until Japan attacks USA and stab them in the back.

The neutral is in the sense that I have great relations with but am not allied to the Allies.

What do you all think?

What is Curtin indeed... mate, if you're going to write an Aussie AAR you need to do a bit of research at least!!! I mean, were you born under a cabbage leaf or what?!? Curtin is JOHN CURTIN, the Prime Minister from 1941-45!!!!!!!!!!!! [Unbearable enough Pippy? ]

That's why I want to keep away(to a degree) from politics

Ooh, if you want to have a right wing group, you could still use the New Guard. If Edward the 7th doesn't abdicate, and denounces the New Guard's stance, then they could rise up to "reinstate the proper British monarch line" or something like that.