• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
El Pip said:
Frankly in the time frame (or indeed ever) its tricky to justify how going Republican would change anything practical, beyond yet more politicians knocking around demanding a wage, offices, bribes and loose women. (That is not a knock on Australian politicians, its a knock on every politician the world over.)

As someone actively involved in Australian politics I know that there are many politicians who do good work for good reasons, I think your above comment is a little simplistic.

I must also disagree about Republicanism, Constitutional Monarchy is just as open to rorts as any other form of government. The only true means of limiting coruption is to have a majority of the citizenry take an active roll in politics. Complacency leads to poor government, regardless of constituional checks and balances.

Anyway, what's wrong with loose women?!? :D

However, getting back to the question asked by Kingy, I think the way to go is to give a greater emphasis to the ALP's policy for home defense ahead of Empire Defense. This was an historical arguement and a slight push at a couple of points would allow Australia to stay away from the European War and focus more energy on the Pacific. Perhaps even with the result that Australia takes over the area as part of an economic development zone (an idea floated around by pollies in 1943-4).

Duritz said:
As someone actively involved in Australian politics I know that there are many politicians who do good work for good reasons, I think your above comment is a little simplistic.
Well it wasn't meant entirely seriously. However recent UK politics have left me convinced that on balance if the lot of them, regardless of party or background, were put up against a wall and shot the country would be a better place. I am however slightly disillusioned with the entire process as you can possibly guess.
Duritz said:
I must also disagree about Republicanism, Constitutional Monarchy is just as open to rorts as any other form of government.
It just as open, but there's less people to corrupt. Moreover my point was going Republican wasn't going to boost the economy or revive the country. I suspect it would be a 'When the depression is over' issue at best.
Duritz said:
Anyway, what's wrong with loose women?!? :D
Nothing, more of them please.

Has been no update as nothing interesting is happening whilst I upgrade my troops.

Likely plan of action:

1. Get all the blueprints that I can off of the allies.
2. Leave allies but keep good relations.
3. DOW Siam(Suggestion on another forum)
4. Annex Siam
5. Stay Neutral.
6. World War Two Starts - Increase Military Buildup
7. Japanese Attack Pearl Harbor - Australia Joins the War against Totalitarianism (Only the Fascist Kind not the Stalinist).

Point 2 Allows me to focus on home defence. Allows longer time for military build up.
Points 3 and 4 were ideas floated on the other forum. Siam could be taken as an attempt to restore democracy(only after a long while).

Kingy

Duritz said:
However, getting back to the question asked by Kingy, I think the way to go is to give a greater emphasis to the ALP's policy for home defense ahead of Empire Defense. This was an historical arguement and a slight push at a couple of points would allow Australia to stay away from the European War and focus more energy on the Pacific.

Can you explain more about this via PM?

Duritz said:
Perhaps even with the result that Australia takes over the area as part of an economic development zone (an idea floated around by pollies in 1943-4).

Would anyone find it unacceptable for me to use the 'acceptall' cheat to take over a number of british and french possessions in the immediate vicinity of Australia to allow this alternate historical path to be followed.

Circled areas are what I shall take if it is acceptable:

EcoDevZone.jpg

Kingy

I say in story terms you could work out a deal with the allies where many (all?) of their pacific holdings would come under your protection so that they can focus their resources elsewhere, and so that Australia has more control over the defense of her and her allies territory. Control would revert back to them at the end of world war two of course, because by that time the hostile dictatorships would be deposed and therefore no longer a threat.

I say you can at least take what you outlined. Give yourself cores as well, if you like, but there might not be a point if there isnt any IC or resources there.

Delex said:
I would not have nothing against that. It is not as you would get any industry or so lol. Why dont you take whole guinea. It would round the country up.
Well the prob with that is that The Netherlands isn't part of my alliance so I would need to go to war with them.

Arse-biscuit!

Still at two updates over four pages you may well have some form of record, albeit an unwanted one.