• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well it's time for your next narrative update, I'm sure you've all been waiting.

Thrashing Mad: It's not a custom one- I use Gigau's COA mod and I'm using Velds kingdoms and duchy mod, COA is from there. Although admittedly, it's not one of the first ones to leap to mind. Glad you're still enjoying it. The next update will be Demetrio as narrator.

Canonized: Crusades are a blessing for small duchy's. Hopefully eventually the big boys will tke note.

English Patriot: He could be worse. He could be Germano. If he'd inherited..well, this game would hve gone in a much different direction, as is, you have to love his intrigue score.

The Raid

A distinct chill lingered in the Tunisian Night. During the daylight, the sun blazed endlessly, enveloping the armies of the European invaders with a suffocating heat. French knights, laden with pounds of armor and weapons which suddenly seemed like lead in their hands, wasted away in the heat, their flesh melting beneath the ceaselessly beating sun. One by one, they, like so many before them, Norwegians, Scots, Germans, Italians, Normans and Irish, a hundred nations had stood before the walls of Tunisia since the declaration of the crusade almost a decade and a half ago, and not one had claimed the castle as their own for longer than a few months. The Zirids, at war constantly since they were brought to the Pope’s attention, had grown able and dexterous. When the Europeans first came, splendid and righteous on their boats, banners waving briskly in the wind and spirits riding high, they faded into the desert, a small contingent left to man the walls of Tunis itself for the almost routine siege to follow. And so it would begin. In the first few days, trumpets would taunt the Zirids, daring them to come out of their keep and meet their fate at the hands of the Christian God. The Zirids gave no reply, smugly grinning t the horde surrounding them, quite content to let them have their fun. They had ruled Tunisia since they seized it from the Vandals, and no amount of barbarian pomp would persuade them to leave. Besides, they knew the way of these things. The Europeans, united at first by their crusading zeal, would soon remember their differences and unable to enjoy quick success at Tunis, venture outward to the other provinces, where the armies of the Zirid Kingdom, diminished as they were by years of constant strife, would await them, and, as they divided into ever smaller units of individual counts and lords, annihilate them, leaving their bones to bleach in the desert with those of their brothers from years before. And so it went with countless expeditions.

Alberto knew all of this as he gazed at the keep, the chill of the Tunisian night enveloping him. He’d ventured to the very edge of the ring of fortifications surrounding it tonight, perhaps out of boredom, to get look that elusive prize so near to being within his grasp, and yet it seemed so very distant from his conquest. The current expedition to Tunisia had proved little exception to the rule the Zirids proposed. The French King, newly installed upon his throne and little inclined to invest much effort in any expedition beyond his own borders, yet fearing the label impious be attached to his newly won Kingship, piled Alberto with plaudits, praising his expedition against the Mallorcans as the very model of what he hoped to accomplish in Tunisia. Yet Alberto knew the type, the smug smile, the hearty slap on the back, the feigned confidence of a usurper. He never expected that the French support of his expedition would prove enduring, yet he also knew that he could not hope to conquer Tunisia without a bit of help. His own armies, one from each of the four islands he ruled, scarcely equaled that of the splendid troops from the Ile-de-France alone. He knew that the French enlisted him solely to provide a more convenient target for the Zirids when they inevitably retreated, one much closer to Tunisia than France. He knew that if he failed in Tunisia, the Zirids would follow him to Corsica, to Sardinia, to Mallorca and Menorca, and that that he would be reduced from being even the Pauper Duke to being the exiled and titular beggar Duke, his family at his side, vagabonds in alien courts, begging for the support of foreign lords to restore him to his rights. Yet even Alberto was surprised by how swiftly the King and his splendid men from Ile-de-France departed, claiming urgent need to attend to matters in Medjerda. Fortunately, however, not all of the French departed with their liege lord. The Count of Amiens, Narbonne, and several others who lost family members in previous expeditions remained, grimly determined to t last take and hold this infernal city, this piece of sand. Amongst them, they elected Alberto to lead the siege with in Guillaume’s ‘temporary’ absence.

Indeed, Alberto thought as he looked at the city before him, foreign and beautiful minarets soaring into the night, walls gleaming with torches to ward off ny enemy encroachments under the cover of nightfall, he had n opportunity here. If he could seize Tunis, it would give him a foothold on the mainland, a base from whih to expand his domain and his realm. If there was a Kingdom of the Zirids in Africa, why not a Kingdom of the Corsicans? He silenced these thoughts, concentrating on the objective at hand. The Zirids, his spies informed him, were near offering peace, they were likely to offer him land elsewhere, as Guillaume on his way to Medjerda had despite himself stumbled upon and severely damaged their primary army, leaving them with few forces to relieve the siege. Alberto thought a few provinces would sate his appetite, he lacked the zeal to slaughter the infidels that some of his companions, nursing blood feuds and more religious inclined, possessed. His spies, though he never before this day used anything as evolved as the spy system he employed now, the usefulness of its intelligence continued to astound him. Demetrio, with all his cunning, proved an adept weaver of these sorts of webs. He had overcome Alberto’s initial objections that their employ lacked honor, assuring his father that in a war with the infidels different methods must be employed. Indeed, his zeal sometimes frightened Alberto, there was a callousness with regard to the life of these spies in his sons actions which disquieted him, indeed, he rarely asked for details about Demetrio’s methods, which always delivered precisely the right piece of information at precisely the right moment…he only hoped that he and Margherita’s affection in the last few years lessened the rage in the boys heart. The last few years brought a smile to his lips, fond memories all, Margherita brilliant and smiling t his side, his daughters nurturing and playful. Young Vittorio such a blessing, and so very like Chiano. Demetrio often seemed to engage them, yet Alberto still sensed a distance from the boy, now a young man and lord in his own right, which he hoped the years would chill. If Demetrio’s ruthless effectiveness stunned him, Germano’s contributions to the siege, such as they were, dismayed him. He arrived from Menorca leader in name only, his Marshal commanding his men, operating on orders from his wife. He hardly recognized his father, and a guard kept him shut in his tent at all hours of the day, lest his madness infect the rest of the army. In the years since his departure for Menorca he seemed to have decayed even further, occasionally and much to Alberto’s frustration declaring himself a son of Zeus. Alberto continued to visit him, always hopeful that he could still salvage the boy, that the happy boy he picked up from his foster parents so many years ago yet lingered beneath the surface. All I can do is continue to try, he thought, Germano is my sin, and I must bear it. He owed many thanks to Elvira, whose care for Germano kept him alive, profound debt indeed, he thought. As he aged, he thought often of the dreams of his youth, and though he had not succeeded to the heights of his most delirious ambitions, he found himself lrgely content with his life. With his wife, his children. The spring in his step that once carried him up many Corsican hillsides seemed to be slipping, but he took solace in the fact that he had risen in the world, and known love. If all things were not perfect, he hoped history would remember him for his triumphs. As he gazed at the walls of Tunis in the chilled night air, he saw a vision of hope, for his dynasty, a tremendous future. Tunis was a center of trade, a grand city, it dwarfed Ajaccio. Here, in a new world, in a new land, his heirs could build a firm foundation.

Alberto’s thoughts were interrupted suddenly by the sound of horses. He averted his eyes from the walls for a moment and peered at the darkness before him, where he saw shadows moving. Raiders, he thought, and began to run from the edge of the fortress, striking the night guard beside him sharply so that he too would raise the alarm. Demetrio even today had informed him that the Zirids would attempt a sortie before being forced to kill their horses, as usual, it seemed Demetrio’s sources had been proved correct. His cries began to rouse the camp, torches came on and men began streaming to the defenses’, groggy but prepared for a fight- the long siege left them restless and eager, and the sun’s absence was a merciful blessing. The horses were upon him now, having jumped the small wall, Alberto turned to face them, drawing his sword and setting his feet. They were dressed all in black, the better to blend with the knight, scimitars glistening softly in the moonlight. One bore down on him, and Alberto knew that they would grapple soon. The rider let out a yelp and charged, covering the distance between them quickly. As he approached, Alberto lunged with his sword and ducked low, hoping to catch the horse’s knees in his blade. The rider, prepared for the maneuver, ably stopped his horse, drawing it to him and raising its legs in the in the air above Alberto’s blade. Alberto cursed under his breath and rose to his feet, well aware that the scimitar even now lashed out at him, as he turned to meet the blade he felt a sudden warm in his shoulder, and felt his arm go slack, his blade falling from his hands and one refused to comply. As his torso completed the turn he realized that the Zirid’s scimitar lay firmly embedded in his shoulder. The warmth, he thought quite abstractly, is my blood. It seemed everywhere, now on his chest, sliding down to his waist. He saw the Zirid raise his arm, drawing the scimitar from his shoulder and preparing a finishing blow. He felt himself fall to his knees, his lone able arm grasping the sand in an effort to keep himself upright. The Zirid stood ready, and began his downward stroke. Margherita, he thought quietly, forgive me for not coming home to you. Forgive me all of you. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the Zzirid freeze, his eyes wide in surprise as an arrow lodged firmly in his chest. The horseman slumped into his saddle, his blade falling harmlessly to the ground, his horse trotting away from Alberto in disinterest. Alberto heard the rallying cry of the rapidly arriving reinforcements behind him. Corsicans, he thought, recognizing the accent. Always for Corsica…then the world began to blur, and Alberto fell.

If Alberto has truly died, then at least he died in combat, Demetrio does seem like an able heir for Corsica!

Are you still around jimboIX? haven't heard from you in a while, I'd really love to see Corsican Dawn updated :)

Jimbo, reading this AAR has been on my to-do list for a while, and I'm glad I finally got round to it! The writing, both historical and narrative, is fantastic, and you've managed to capture the (not always easy) art of writing as a medieval chronicler might have done believably. From what I've read so far you've got it all: love, war and even a schizophrenic :D! Impressive!

However, I'm sad to note that your last update was a good while ago (come to think of it- the last time I saw you in California was some time back- you've been overtaken as the most frequent replier :eek:...). Are you still around? Is this AAR dead? You've managed to drag me out of the Victoria section for what I believe to be the first time ever, don't stop now!!!

Ok, because I trust thrashingmads taste in narrative AAR's (hey, he likes mine) I am giving this a shot. So far so good. I will get caught up shortly.

Splendid work, Jimbo. :)

Alberto's character arc was a delicious read, the other characters interesting as well.

I also love the snide remarks about Corsica from more illustrous leaders :D

Well I'm not dead. A storm in September promptly fried my hardrive, and with it CK and all of my Corsican game files. I had the computer on a surge protector, but evidently that proved ineffective.

After that RL dominated my time fairly effectively, I apologize for not giving everyone notice of this sooner, thank you all so much for reading.

Unfortunately, the lack of game files means I will be unable to conclude the AAR, though I have a new computer and a new CK. I've played Deus Vult a bit and may do another CK AAR in the future.

EnglishPatriot: He is dead. I'll spare you the suspense. I'd planned a really lovely death scene with Demetrio at his side revealing Demetrio's lack of heart actually. Demetrio turned out to be a marvelous, if absolutely ruthless, cold, and merciless ruler who expanded his dominion to unprecedented heights.

EmprorCoopinius: No problem, I missed two months! As I said, Demetrio was very successful, though very devious as well.

DerKaiser: Thanks for coming over! Hopefully sometime soon I can check out the new Californian updates.

GrayGhost: The man obviously has good taste. I'll have to check your AAR out sometime.

Jestor: Corsica is long suffering in prestige, I've missed the Beautiful girl and must and catch up.

If anyone is out there who still cares, I'd be glad to provide a brief summary of how the game concluded and share what was the brief outline for the rest of the story I had in mind.

Damn - that`s too bad - but please start another AAR as fast as you can - Corsican Dawn was probably most enjoyable read to me, together with grayghost`s work. :)

Good to see you again :)

That is unbelievably terrible news! Of course we still care JimboIX!! Please tell us at least what happened to the House of Obertenghi!

Its good to have you back!

I hope you will do another AAR, I greatly enjoyed this! :)

Jimbo ! Goodness gracious , I was indeed wondering where you had been ! I'm glad you haven't dropped off the face of the earth though ! I hope to cach up with you on messenger the next time you're on , but otherwise I'm just so glad you're back !

Glad you're back, but it's an unhappy thing that the AAR vanished. I was just catching up and thinking to myself it's been my loss not to have read it regularly back then.

Well, nice to have you back!

Well now for the summary.

Thrashing Mad: I'm glad you liked it and really disappointed I can't finish it- I've learned to back things up however, and hopefully it won't happen again when I get the chance to start something new.

English Patriot: You'll get the best summary my head can provide- and thank you for your interest.

Canonized: I'm glad I'm still on terra firma as well. Hopefully I'll see you around.

All right- here's how the game played out. We'll go ruler by ruler (the ones I remember- I'm probably blurring a few insiginificant ones), though to be honest I can't remember all their names (lost game notes in aforementioned computer-death by lightning strike). If I ever find something, I'll update more. When my computer crashed, the year was about 1350.

Demetrio: Cruel, ruthless, murderously effective. He inherited Salerno in right of his wife, after assassinating all of her brothers. He concluded the seige in Tunis, massacred the population and converted it to Christianity, and moved the Capital ofhis realm there as well (where it remained for the rest of the game). He conquered enough of the surrounding possessions to name himself the King of Africa- the primary King title of all subsequent Obertenghi's. Naturally, his marital relationship was setup to be a tense one. His eldest son, who inherited his possessions, acquired the Lombard culture and I'd planned to write him as a rebuke to Demetrio from his wife (because he slaughtered her family..) After her "suspicious death" he marriedthe even more suspiciously widowed Nura Fatimid, the muslim daughter of the Fatimid King whose husband had arrived in his kingdom dispossed from the Sinai. He slaughtered her family as well, so that their son (this was a huge coup- installing my Catholic Obertenghi son as King of the Fatimid's and thus converting Egypt) inherited his Grandfather. After this, he conquered Jerusalem. He died a Saint.

For the rest of the characters in the present arc-
Margherita: Died a few years after Alberto, Demetrio created her the duchess of Corsica after he elevated himself to the kingship.

Azzo: Wed to Margherita and Demetrio's youngest daughter, created Duke of Kairouan, where his family remained for the rest of the game.

A brief list of subsequent rulers-

Pandulf I: Demetrio's son and heir. Weak, bad stats. Hated his father. King of Africa and Jerusalem, lost Cyrenaica to his half-Fatimid brother the King of Egypt, brief reign. Devoted to his wife, but lacksdaisical and weak, I'd planned a contrastwith his brother, obviously.

Gaimar: The son of Pandulf and an excellent warrior, which he had his Norman mother to thank for. Reclaimed Cyrenaica and conquered Syria and Arabia. Interestingly, despite being another Saint he fathered something like 7 bastard sons-all of whom he made Dukes, but only one legitimate son.I'd planned to write him like a Henry VIII sort of figure, vigorous and full of life, all-conquering and extremely lustful. Also Sainted upon his death. Extremely long reign, also made incursions into Spain and Algeria, conquering Morocco as well.

Gisfulf: The eldest bastard (and son) of Gaimar, legitimized before his father's death. Ascended the throne pneumatic and stressed, and lasted only a few years. He died with only daughters, so the throne passed to his brother. Also sainted.

Landulf: The eldest legitimate son of Gaimar, lived in the shadow of his much better-statted horde of bastard brothers. Compensated by promptly declaring war on Naples upon his coronation, married his neice,Gisfulf's eldest daughter, after his own wife- a Hauteville he went to war for- died. Great scandal. The reason for the war was Naples switch to an elective monarchy, which jeopardized his sons remote chance at inheritance. He won, but gained little and infuriated his vassals, prompting a civil war which he also won, though at great cost. Died before his son reached majority.

Aimeric:A very stabilizing reign, he steadily increased possession in Italy and in Anatolia, conquering a few places of note- notable Genoa and Pisa. This incidentally began the rivalry between Africa and Germany which would continue for the rest of the game. He married a German girl, with whom he mostly got along, except when fathering bastards and going to war with her father. At the tale end of his reign Africa/Arabia/Syria/Jerusalem/Mauretania/Armenia fought an all out in which the Obertenghi prevailed, forcing the Germans to renounce their claim on the Obertenghi's Italian possession, which now included most of Northern Italy.

Pandulf II: A placeholder king, old when he inherited and little for this world. Conquered Persia/Mesopatamia (much of which was occupied by the French priorto this) in an attempt to revive is prestige. Married a byzantine woman and fathered two legitimate sons and one bastard. The bastard was elder and was legitimized and inherited Africa. The younger son, legitimate son, inherited Byzantium shortly after his brother's deathand promptly declared war on Africa. Byzantium had developed by this point in game to, after the defeat of Germany, Africa's biggest rival as they'd used the opportunities provided by the Obertenghis essentially annihilating the Muslim world to pick up a few choice pieces scattered amidst Obertenghi possession- the map was really intertwined.

I played the war as Africa, until bastard son died and being without heirs was inherited by his brother, terminating the war and causing much confusion. The civil war drained both realms and his younger brother- who stayed loyal to Africa during the war and by his much-hated brother (the guy got realm duress) was given numerous duchy titles, revolted- setting up another civil war (I'd basically given him Spain, Persia and Jerusalem which isn't bad for a base) The Emperor-King then died, extinguishing the civil war yet again and leaving son no. 3 the only one standing with all the titles but still without heirs. The war lasted about 15 yearsand almost destroyed my game. It's actually what motivated me to write the AAR.

If anyone would like to know more, randomdetails, countries, I'd be glad to answer with what I do remember.

By the end of the game the Obertenghi controlled- or had the King titles for-
(considerable amounts of territory, perhaps 40%, werein active revolt-including almost all of the Byzantine Empire) Most of the Middle East, all of Africa except Egypt (still ruled by a Cadet branch of the Obertenghi family, though electively) most of Northern Italy, scattered holdings in Spain (Spain was a disaster- England, Scotland, Africa, Papal States..) and the original core Islands- Corsica always remained in family hands, I used it as the courtesy title for the heir.

Interesting game notes:

France, Naples, Germany, England, Egypt (Fatimids) and Hungary all went elective monarchy. Ireland formed, the Pope ended up in Spain, and the only Muslims left were in Russia-where they'd been considerably victimized, again as a result of their base collapsing entirely.

It's a pity you lost your game files but congratulations nonetheless ; despite cutting it short I really enjoyed this AAR and I still owe you a chapter ! So whenever you start taking up another project again I'm definitely on board !

Too bad - from what I just read, it seems that AAR would became even more epic and interesting - damn storms and lightings. :mad: I hope that you can start another one soon. :)

We really missed out on a great tale, the successions almost seemed Romanised in a way, alot of Bastards and murders, and the elective law was interesting, I've never seen that before in all my days of playing CK.

Ah well, I'm looking forward to your next project!

Haha the Pope ended up in Spain!

EVERY game. Silly Popes.

Well, looking forward to your next project then.

Man, I get caught up and it comes to a "stormy" end. Sigh. Very good story. Here's hoping you do another, or perhaps run the game again and see if you can sim up to where you were in the story and then take it from there.