• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(35723)

Colonel
Oct 29, 2004
This is my first AAR. The setting is vanilla Victoria 1.04 at normal/normal. I am a micro management maniac but unfortunately without much time in hand. So, please be patient on updates.

Playing Krakow, as you can imagine, I have no intention to follow the historical path. In the contrast, I will make use of all available resources and strategies allowed, except for things like “neville”, to make Krakow survive and thrive. As an alternative history game, the AAR will inevitably refer to some countries and nations, which may make some people uncomfortable. Please read this AAR in a casual manner and do not take it beyond the scope of a game.

My initial goals are as follows, although they may well be modified according to the development of the game.
1. To become The Great Power. (Done! 1st October 1844)
2. To restore a Poland and eventually give her all her cores.
3. Finally, to annex/partition Poland’s oppressors, namely Austria/Prussia/Russia.

Last edited:
After 3 partitions of Poland between Russia, Prussia and Austria, Krakow is the only remaining Polish land. Among the three giant neighbours, Austria is the most hostile to Krakow, mainly because Krakow was initially planned to be annexed by Austria. Austria never gave up the ambition to annex Krakow. Something must be done to save Krakow! To save the Polish people!

krakowuh9.jpg

The country, or more precisely, the city state is not rich. Even if we tax at 100%, no more than £1 a day can be collected. Obviously, military build-up is not going to save the country from invasion. Unsurprisingly, the only hope is on diplomacy. However, as a "Red Dot on the Map", there are not many countries who pay attention to us. Most of the countries are neutral, or at 0 relationship with us, Austria -100. Nevertheless, since diplomacy is the only viable way to save Krakow, decision is made: we need to make the headlines!

Krakow guaranteed independence of Aldjazair, a little known country on a remote continent. When France declared colonial war on Aldjazair, Krakow honoured the guarantee and declared colonial war on France, a Great Power! Krakow declared war more in a diplomatic protest than a military intervention. As a landlocked country, Krakow has access to neither Aldjazair nor France's colonies. However the world were impressed by the bravery of the country. Ambassadors and journalist are paying twice as much attention to Krakow than before.

However, this is far from enough. Diplomatic effort to improve relationship costs loads of money, which Krakow cannot afford. Although Krakow's democracy is in fact a compromise to keep a balance between the patitioners, there is an obvious use of the system - to hold an election!

During the election campaign, a lot of sensitive topics were brought up, such as ethnic minorities and religions. The government took a hard line on those issues. Krakow's Ashkenazic Jews and Ukrainian Orthodox minorities were deeply annoyed. On 5 August 1836, the first clash fired on street. Krakow's revolutions started!

revolthu1.jpg

oddman said:
Very interesting. I assume you're going to give yourself cores on all Polish land?
No. Krakow is Krakow, not another name of Poland. There is only one core province for Krakow. That is one of the reasons I am playing Krakow. Even this only core province of Krakow I will have to hand it out eventually if I manage to restore Poland.

Tomas the Great said:
It seems you want to be monarchy very badly. Yet, there is prestige penalty for revolution, isnt it? And with negative prestige you cannot buy (swap) the provinces with Either Pru, Rus or Hab. Any idea?
Yes, I want monarchy! Krakow’s democracy is nothing but a laughter for the big boys surrounding me. Restoration of monarchy is the most effective way to improve the relationships with them. I don’t think there is a penalty on prestige on revolutions, maybe in VIP or Rev, but not in vanilla Vic 1.04.

Before long, Ukrainians joined Jews in the revolution. On 30 April 1837, revolutionists succeeded. Democracy was overthrown.

revpb6.jpg

News was quickly spread to the world. All monarchies sent congratulations to Krakow and upgraded their diplomatic relationships with Krakow. Russia and Prussia are now +100, and Austria 0.

However, a coup d'etat happened on the next day, 1 May 1837. Pro-democratic counter-revolutionist abducted new king. They forced him under gun point to release power and change the government to constitutional monarchy. The first monarchy lasted only 24 hours!

refvt4.jpg

The international community gave very mixed response to the change. Countries like UK welcomed the new government. However, most other countries, such as Russia and Prussia condemned the coup d'etat and immediately summoned their ambassadors. Back at home, monarchists were gathering outside the parliament protesting. The government was in complete panic. When people heard that the Prime Minister was so indecisive that he switched ruling party so many times in one day, unrest erupted! This time not only Jews and Ukrainians, Poles as well!

switchingpartiessv5.jpg
10milrb2.jpg

Another dramatic 24 hours! Another revolt!

wargames said:
I just have a mental image of a cabinet room fitted with a revolving door and ministers running in and out frantically. :D

The Prime Minister is an Ashkenazic Jew. He was the leader of the 3000 Jewish clergymen who were forced to work in the coal mine in the beginning of 1836. When he heard the revolt, he immediately asked army to suppress the riot. Krakow has a proportionally big army. More than 8% of the population are in service and the arsenal is big enough to equip a full strength division. However, soldiers' salary has not been paid for quite a while. Most of them have deserted, sold their arms to rioters, and joined miners to make a living.

When the Prime Minister was told so, and learnt that the first group of people who stood up against his government were in fact his fellow Jews, he gave up and fled the country. Worried about the uncertainty and a possible retaliation in the future, lots of Ashkenazic Jews left Krakow and seek asylum. They once accounted for over 16% of the population. Now three quarters of them are gone.

Monarchy was restored on 29 August 1837. But 48 hours later, 1 September 1837, another pro-democracy coup d'etat took place. without a question, royalists would not tolerate this. Inspired by revolution-fanatic French people, although officially Krakow was still at war with France, women and children also joined the fight.

eb9ddf48.jpg

womenandchildrendq6.jpg

Last edited:
El Pip said:
I just have a mental image of a cabinet room fitted with a revolving door and ministers running in and out frantically. :D
You reminded me another scene in a film. I cannot remember the name of the film but a workshop was switching between making printing types and bullets because the government policy was ever-changing. :D

So, will you be stuck in a perpatual revolution where the anarcho-liberals come to power only to be overthrown the next day by the reactionaries?

Herbert West said:
So, will you be stuck in a perpatual revolution where the anarcho-liberals come to power only to be overthrown the next day by the reactionaries?
Not really. I noticed that con-mon reform only happens on the first day of a month. You can prevent con-mon reforms by removing voting rights. I allowed and in fact provoked multiple regime changes only because I want to improve relationships with other countries to the maximum. Monarchies like Russia get +100 after Krakow's every revolution but a -50 hit after every con-mon reform. I will need at least 3 revolutions to reach +200 relationship with Russia and Prussia.

Diplomatic Revolutions

wargames said:
Not really. I noticed that con-mon reform only happens on the first day of a month. You can prevent con-mon reforms by removing voting rights. I allowed and in fact provoked multiple regime changes only because I want to improve relationships with other countries to the maximum. Monarchies like Russia get +100 after Krakow's every revolution but a -50 hit after every con-mon reform. I will need at least 3 revolutions to reach +200 relationship with Russia and Prussia.

Revolutions for diplomatic purpose: isn't it a paradox ?

Great AAR: original and well presented; go on !