• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My guess on the ideas are:

- Guards regiments.
- Long-distance trade.

As has been mentioned (though only once, which slightly surprises me) - pleeeeeeease spell "Liberum veto" correctly. It's not even a case of English misspellings, it's Latin! :)
In general, I love the idea of events being tied to what you actually do. This should make the game become more appealing to the people who want historical realism, as well as not take away the fun from the rest of the players (actually, even add to the fun).

Would be nice to know if there are going to be any historical events or not. Since it basically will decide if I will buy NA or not, or if it is time to free up the space taken up by EU3 for more worthwhile things.

EDIT: There are currently two things that would make me buy NA.
A) Historical events.
B) The ability to join ongoing multiplayer games. (ala CIV4)

The latter is improbable, so the first thing would be the only reason for me to shell out my money for it.

Arilou said:
Would be nice to know if there are going to be any historical events or not. Since it basically will decide if I will buy NA or not, or if it is time to free up the space taken up by EU3 for more worthwhile things.

There are loads of historical events in EU3, all happening in plausible contexts.

But no, we won't reintroduce the silliness of EU2 where Austria inherits Bohemia no matter how to they play.

Johan said:
There are loads of historical events in EU3, all happening in plausible contexts.

But no, we won't reintroduce the silliness of EU2 where Austria inherits Bohemia no matter how to they play.

Okay thanks, guess I will spend be saving my money for Starcraft 2 then.

EDIT: That's not actually an answer to my question though. What I'm asking for is probably more akin to *nation specific* events. (mainly because they help improve the replay value, right now different countries play far too samey)

Still, the game is reasonably fun in MP, if you could just fix the horrible stability and performance issues (and I by far exceed the minimum specs, so that's not the problem) oh, and add dynamic joining. Then It could make a good MP-experience at least, even if SP would still be pretty boring.

Last edited:
Arilou said:
Okay thanks, guess I will spend be saving my money for Starcraft 2 then.

EDIT: That's not actually an answer to my question though. What I'm asking for is probably more akin to *nation specific* events. (mainly because they help improve the replay value, right now different countries play far too samey).
Yes, I have the same question.

Johan said:

Well, if they are historical events like the Liberum Veto event chain mentioned in this thread, then I think that's what I'm looking for.

I only partially agree with Arilou. While I don't find single player boring or that all countries play exactly the same (my recent game as theocratic Persia was very different from a colonization game as Portugal), I do sometimes feel that we need more contingent events based on government type, national ideas, policies, and in-game choices (similar to the "Natives encounter our colonies" chain). This is because the one we already have a good, but because they work well and add real flavor to the game, I want even more.

I'm also hoping that some of these event chains will encourage large empires at -3 stability and +14 war exhaustion to disintegrate. I do grow weary of AI or human nations that seem to survive endlessly under those conditions (Ming and Lithuania are habitual offenders here).

I have been waiting for this Dev Diary, and I can say I am cautiously opptimistic based on this thread. What I have found most disappointing about the nature of the game is that after the first 200 years, every nation I have run played the same. Same settings, same ability to defeat everyone that opposes me, and worst, all the events, rulers, even units were the "same". If I was playing Castile, became Spain, and conquered all of Iberia, then I had the EXACT same experience as Aragon, becoming Spain, and conquering all of Iberia from that point on. The rulers would generate the same, the generals would generate the same, the events I get would be the same. Same, Same, Same.

These new events sound like they may provide for a longer lasting impact from earlier event choices. Thus, if Aragon chooses "veto", even if I become Spain, I still have that effect. Castile might not be able to shift to those settings in time to have that event, and thus, Castile Spain would play differently then Aragon Spain.

I hope this will include things like the Religious wars of France, and Civil War in England, things that if the existance of the right prereqs exist, and those prereqs are commonly found in those nations for which the historical nature of the event models, then I can expect that France will be more likely to have religious wars if it has multiple religions, or England will involve itself in a civil war if the hundred years war is lost and civil strife insues.

Incidentally, this is one of the big things I think is missing from the current set up. Same nation Succession wars. Basicly, two factions in a nation face off for control of the country. It would require a special form war, just like the Succession war does, where in you would be able to forceannex the entire other faction without bad boy. The idea of it being a large rebel uprising just wouldn't quite capture the feel of a Civil War like the War of the Roses.

Personally, I'd like to see more of the "historical" events intended to be added, so I have a better feel for what my gaming experience would be like, if that is possible.

I really like the idea of events triggered by resources. Specific resources should have more impact on gameplay; besides simply having a value. Two resources which have the same base value and current supply/demand ratio, should still differ from one another for gameplay purposes. Perhaps events could include: monopolies (or at least regional monopolies or partial monopolies), sudden shifts in supply/demand ratio- based on world situation, or penalties for lacking resources for certain actions.

I really like the way events are being handled for NA. This was by far my favorite developement diary so far. Thanks

Also, I do think that many events should have potentially major effects on world balance. Many did historically. Plus they're not totally random. Also this could challege experienced players.

plaease historic events

My first impression of EU3 was really bad after having played eu2 for sooo many years over and over again. But NA sounds to have have a lot of improvements. :)

It doesn't sounds like it, but i really hope, from the bottom of my heart that you will make historic events like some of them from eu 2. Specially i love the admirality event playing as england. I think it's nice to have these historic "points" in the game, so if I want to play a historic game I can always do it. another example is all the religious events for england in eu2. Please inplement such events in NA.

I know Johan that you just wrote that you wouldn't made those silly events where e.g. austri gets bohemia. :-( I really think it could be nice to have these events implement, because I fear that Denmark will never annex Norway, France annex Bregtagne, austria annex hungaria and bohemia, Poland lituania, spain castille. I just think it is sad trying to play a historic game as e.g. russia and watching NOTHING historic taking place in europe, because there are no events to backup the historic events. And of cause of you dont want to accept the events in the game you always have the opportunity to decline the event and for example not annex bohemia.

I hope you will take my proposal in consideration.

I belong to those who have played EU since the release of the first game and hate to se the historic events taken out of the game. I think so many people playing the game are historic interested and like that aspect.

But the NA sounds really good and a huge improvement of vanilla eu3 so far. Good work, my swedish neighbours.

Will anything be done to let some royal unions continue past the first king, especially unions with neighboring countries (Castile Argon, Poland Lithuania) you could give unions between neighbors a chance of being disolved, chance of annexation, chance of leadership in the union switching, and a chance of continuation.

'cause you know, the partition of Poland would make a lot more sense when there'd be more to it than just a 5-6 provinces.

Some event options which would be nice:

Effects:
peace = TAG (peace with TAG)
vassal = TAG (vassalize TAG)
royal_marriage = TAG (royal_marriage with TAG)
union = TAG (union with TAG with the country as leader) / TAG = { union = THIS } (union with TAG with TAG as leader)
alliance = TAG (alliance with TAG)
break_alliance = TAG (ends alliance with TAG)

Triggers:
is_vassal = yes/no/TAG (yes/no checks if the country is a vassal, TAG checks if the country is a vassal of TAG)
TAG = {religion = THIS } (currently this causes a crash, it would be nice if it changed the religion in TAG to the religion in THIS instead)

Last edited:
Senty said:
you could give unions between neighbors a chance of being disolved, chance of annexation, chance of leadership in the union switching, and a chance of continuation.

If it's possible to export thoses variables in a softcoded file, it will be very very cool.

Annexion_probability
Current_personnal_union_continue (if a personnal union actualy exist)
Current_personnal_union_disolved (if a personnal union actualy exist)
New_personnal_union (even if there are no personnal union)
Succession_war
Regency

If we can be good to have more features linked to personnal union. Like for exemple an automatic military control (like in HOI2) of the minor member by the senior member.

I would love to have the possibility to have THIS where you can only script a specific tag or province (or whatever is specific in EU3), and a possibility to have percentage on your conditions/effects/modifiers comparing to other countries and such. Like:

any_country = { monthly_income = 0.87 }

(If this was in the triggers, it would check if there's any country with a monthly income equal or higher than the country receiving the event, while if it was in the options, it would give 87% of the country's receiving the event income to any country, the same for the modifiers)

Also more culture and religion options:

Ability to check how many provinces of that religion/culture exists in a country and how many provinces of that culture exists in the world.

remove_accepted_culture = culture name/THIS
culture = culture type/THIS

(I know I've pointed it above, but this are the ones I want most)

Last edited: