• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(34423)

Paradox Programmer
Sep 17, 2004
Well it looks like it is Wednesday again so that must mean we have another developer’s dairy. This week we are going to tell you about events.

In Napoleon’s Ambition we have already added over 100 additional events and we’ll be looking to add some more before we are finished. Our goal is to make games of EU3 more varied; we have done this in two ways. First by simply adding more events we increase the number of possible events that can fire creating more differences in the events you see. Secondly we have tried to make the majority of the new events tied to choices you have made. So we have events that trigger for ideas, policy sliders, and province resources. So we are trying to make things a little less random (not too much because sometimes random is good) and a little more, well I chose this so now I must live with the consequences. To support these we have added new triggers and commands. The centrepiece of this has to be the events to simulate the revolutionary era. We put a lot of thought into these events because we wanted to do them right. However the revolution events can wait for another dev dairy, today we are going to look at the Librium Veto. As Poland in EU2 you realty didn’t want the Librium Veto so we felt you would need a good reason to take it. So the Librium Veto event chain works something like this. If you are highly aristocratic, decentralised and at war your nobles will ask for the Librium Veto. Accepting it will reduce your war exhaustion; give your army tradition and free troops. Refusing leads to revolts. As long as you are at war the nobles will support you with free troops and small reductions in war exhaustion. When at peace the nobles will want concessions, demanding you remain aristocratic and decentralised and they will also look for tax reductions, failure to give them what they want leads to revolts and stability drops. Eventually under a good monarch you will be given the opportunity to reform, removing the Librium Veto and centralising your state. However if you do this then your neighbours will pick up cores on your provinces, setting you up for a partition. With the following neat new event syntax:
Code:
any_neighbor_country = {
                                    limit = {
                                                NOT = { has_country_flag = librium_veto }
                                    }
                                    country_event = 6504
                        }
and your neighbours get this
Code:
any_owned = {
                                    any_neighbor_province = {
                                                limit = {
                                                            owned_by = FROM
                                                            NOT = { is_core = THIS }
                                                            }
                                                            add_core = THIS
                                                }
                                    }
                        }
using the FROM command the event will remember which country originally called the event allowing you to create a link between the two events. This gives us great new options for when we add events to Napoleon, and gives moders event more flexibility.

Of course we have added some more ideas to Napoleon, so to give you a little taster here are some of the art for the idea pictures, have fun speculating.

dev5.jpg

Happy Midsummer!!!!!!

a) I like these more situational events. Those sort of chains are, in my mind, what makes EU3 so beautifully promising.
b) Please, please tell me that naval-esque second NI is worth taking.

hmmm.. I see citrons :D (probably not what that button's for :p)

I like the liberum veto thing, aristocracy should be a pain in the as :cool:

The event chains sound excellent. I assume that this Librium Veto can fire for any nation that fulfils the requirements and not just Poland?

As for the NIs, the second one is obviously "Better naval nutrition". Lemons means no scurvy :p

Edit: Actually I might be right. An idea that reduces naval attrition... do we have one of those already? The first one looks like Napoleon's Imperial Guard.

Last edited:
Slargos said:
Levee en masse.

As for the second, privateers?
To me it looks more like "Superior Facial Hair" and "Fruit Smuggling".

Peter Ebbesen said:
james-cook1776.jpg

Note: no beard or fine mustache.

History suggests that we can have one or the other, but not both.

Peter Ebbesen said:

No, No, No! Look at the first one: Clone Troops and the second one, You're focusing too much on the fruit. It's Skeezbag Merchants.

Both VERY Important during the Napoleonic Era.

I think the first one is "Esprit de Corps" or "Professional army", giving better morale and/or fighting capacity and the second "Contraband smuggling" enabling you to reduce enemy blockade efficiently.

ComradeOm said:
The event chains sound excellent. I assume that this Librium Veto can fire for any nation that fulfils the requirements and not just Poland?

As for the NIs, the second one is obviously "Better naval nutrition". Lemons means no scurvy :p

Edit: Actually I might be right. An idea that reduces naval attrition... do we have one of those already?
The first one looks like Napoleon's Imperial Guard.
That would certainly be a welcome National Idea in my game, sounds likely aswell.

I really like the idea of conditional event series. It will also give a bit of the history lesson feel, that I think alot of us miss from EU2.

The ideas...

The first one is combat oriented. We already have a morale bonus, maybe a fire bonus to make that value better...?

The second one is tougher. It could be about privateering/smuggling, but that would be signaled clearer, I think. And the vitamin C theory is probably better. Less naval attrition makes alot of sense, and why else have lemons? If it was about capturing or smuggling stuff, you could have sugar, rum, cigars, spice, etc., but frigging lemons? It's gotta be a scurvy thing.

Anders

Well, IIRC, Napoleon's tactics relied heavily on fast troop transport and good maneuverability, so maybe the first idea is something that speed's up your troops(+1 general maneuver)?Or gives +1 shock maybe?

EDIT: Typo

Last edited:
Van Diemen
I think the first one is "Esprit de Corps" or "Professional army", giving better morale and/or fighting capacity and the second "Contraband smuggling" enabling you to reduce enemy blockade efficiently.
I think this is what they are but who knows :confused: .
Maybe they both will reduce maintinance cost, maintinance is a pain when having to support a large number of troops, even if at 0%.

The "FROM" code looks incredibly useful. :D Thank you!

The first national idea looks to me like the Garde impériale (Imperial Guard), maybe giving infantry higher morale/organization and fire power.
The second I would agree with Van Diemen, Contraband smuggling.