• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Speedyloco said:
The first national idea looks to me like the Garde impériale (Imperial Guard), maybe giving infantry higher morale/organization and fire power.

I was thinking of that one too, mostly because they really look like old french fags :p

Speedyloco said:
The second I would agree with Van Diemen, Contraband smuggling.

As much as I like to see that some people agree with me, I do think that reduced naval attrition by using "exotic" fruits on sea could be the right awnser of the second national idea. Indeed the picture would be a little silly to show lemons instead of spices, tobacco, coffee or more valuable "contraband" goods. Then again during the Napoleonic time it was forbidden for The Netherlands (named Batavian Republic during those days)and many other countries to trade with Great Britain and this was really hurting a trade orientated nation as The Netherlands. Therefore many small fishings boats made their way towards Great Britain to trade for "contraband".
I must say that the picture shows a 18 century style uniform, while citrus fruits were already "discovered" as a good way to prevent scurvy. The uniform makes me think more in a Napoleonic admosphere and contraband does fit right into that. Furthermore I believe that in the 18 century naval attriction isn't such a real issue anymore in the current EUIII cause of the technologies. Also it would be kind of silly to adopt using citrus fruits as a national idea!

Last edited:
Hive said:
So no historical events after all?
The second sentence of the diary had me thinking they were finally going to unveil the new historical system, but I guess it has not reached an appropriate stage yet for display.

Jayavarman said:
The second sentence of the diary had me thinking they were finally going to unveil the new historical system, but I guess it has not reached an appropriate stage yet for display.
It would be nice to get a definition of just what Paradox means by "historical". Will these new events be tied to the chains but still containing a dynamic element, as I hope, or will we be seeing a return to EUII-style events firing on a pre-determined date?

Code:
* Historical Options
For those gamers looking for an even stronger historical experience, this option is the one. In addition to hundreds of new events, players will be able to see their rulers, leaders and advisors appear on the accurate historical dates.

If I read this corretly it only states that it will be ruler, leaders and advisor,
What the part of new events mean is very unclear.
But anyway. A stronger events system with chains would be better than historical events.

My guess:

Imperial Guards: +1 leader shock
Naval Supply System: reduced attrition

Balor said:
Option will be "normal", "event-only" & "historical".

I'd assume AGCEEP people will always run with event-only and have loads of different paths for royal lines.. (Like Stuarts on English throne etc.)

Of course if you run with event-only or historical, you'll end up without alot of other features, and the game may become duller, but for some people this is what they want.
What features will the latter options disable?
Balor said:
You will ALWAYS know when you get a monarch.
No thrill of having your king die at a battlefield.
No sense of "frustration" of getting an imbecile 3/3/3 regency council.
No Unions unless scripted.
No Succession Wars unless scripted.
No Royal Marriages unless scripted.

I personally find such a game would be pointless to play.. But there is a small minority that wants it, and they are active here, so if I could allot a part of the development budget for this feature to work for those that prefer AGCEEP historical feeling, then it is worth it.

After all.. it is an option.. as are the options for "no cash for colonists".. or "no inflation from budget".

Gebhard Blucher said:
My guess:

Imperial Guards: +1 leader shock
Naval Supply System: reduced attrition

Nah, surely it's not reduced naval attrition. Once you get the right technology, you can keep navies at sea for years without difficulty, including a decade long blockade of a foreign country. Perhaps it is in economic idea of some sort.

As for a national idea with +1 shock, I really hope it isn't, as shock is so clearly useful already AND you can go offensive to get a +1 bonus to shock. Perhaps a +1 fire bonus, something which would be much more useful in the Revolutionary period than in the early game? Or perhaps there is a new value for army and navy units, such as the Reliability value in Victoria, and this new national idea covers that part of the military?

I will say a Liberum Veto event chain sounds great. Right now, there is no real penalty to remaining aristocratic and letting your country migrate to decentralized. If other event chains are similar in scope and application, I think we can expect a dynamic Revolutionary Era and some decent civil wars.

ComradeOm said:
It would be nice to get a definition of just what Paradox means by "historical". Will these new events be tied to the chains but still containing a dynamic element, as I hope, or will we be seeing a return to EUII-style events firing on a pre-determined date?

With the EU3 event building capabilities it would be a step backwards to not use them. Of course they should be context sensitive. Even now AGCEEP has properly coded events that only fire if certain conditions are met to fit them into the game experience.

Secret Master said:
Nah, surely it's not reduced naval attrition. Once you get the right technology, you can keep navies at sea for years without difficulty, including a decade long blockade of a foreign country. Perhaps it is in economic idea of some sort.

As for a national idea with +1 shock, I really hope it isn't, as shock is so clearly useful already AND you can go offensive to get a +1 bonus to shock. Perhaps a +1 fire bonus, something which would be much more useful in the Revolutionary period than in the early game? Or perhaps there is a new value for army and navy units, such as the Reliability value in Victoria, and this new national idea covers that part of the military?

I will say a Liberum Veto event chain sounds great. Right now, there is no real penalty to remaining aristocratic and letting your country migrate to decentralized. If other event chains are similar in scope and application, I think we can expect a dynamic Revolutionary Era and some decent civil wars.

I can't understand for the life of me why people assume a Plutocratic country with high decentralization isn't as big as a threat as an Aristocratic one. You think Rich Middle Class with more power are going to do less damage than rich upper class with more power?

I love Wednesdays :D .

A little off topic but at least i have a new favorite day of the week. Can't wait until the 27th unless it is another holiday :p . Keep us updated.

aberg said:
...Librium Veto...

Um...Isn't the correct spelling Liberum Veto?

Hive said:
So no historical events after all?

The Liberum Veto IS a semi-historical event for Poland. Google it and you should find some interesting history on the subject.

I'd go so far to say that the Liberum Veto event is superior to the non-dynamic events in EU2. I'd MUCH prefer events of correct historical context like this one than static events that make me feel boxed in.

I think that the first NI increases a stat for your military, not sure which one. This is because the soldiers in the pic look like the same person, getting fiercer as he is redrawn closer to you. The second i believe is reduced naval attrition as well.

Verenti said:
I can't understand for the life of me why people assume a Plutocratic country with high decentralization isn't as big as a threat as an Aristocratic one. You think Rich Middle Class with more power are going to do less damage than rich upper class with more power?

In the current patch of the game, I think aristocratic countries are a bit more dangerous than plutocratic countries. This is primarily due to my preference for production income over trade income, and the fact that bad boy doesn't affect production income like it can devastate trade.

Note that this has nothing to do with my views of how it worked historically.

Secret Master said:

Or instead of a new unit value, it could be a new modifier to an existing value. Something like Grenadiers: +1 infantry shock (coupled with Dragoons: +1 cavalry fire?)