• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Decided to do two updates today, each update may be multipul posts long.

The first order of bussiness of the new year, Oaklahoma joins the Federation as its 19th Republic. This was arranged after some land deals with Texas. (I shall take this time to explain a bit about the government of the American Federation. Each "Republic", roughly a state, is technicaly its own country, joined into the American Federation. For an example, look at modern Russia. However, I don't think the American Federation has as many problems as Russia)

In early Februrary, Texas wants Federation help. The nation really wants to help, Texans are mainly Americans who, in their ususal way, crossed over a border, in this case Mexico's, and settled down. Much of the sympathy came from the fact that this was how the American Federation started itself. However, the army was only 5000 or so strong, so Texas would have to fend for itself...

The rest of 1836 was relitivly quite. In the beggining od 1837, a new program to start. Due to the 1st President of the Federation, Thomas Kirker (President 1814-1830), focusing mostly on economic growth after Independance, no major military had ever been formed, just some leftovers some 5000 strong. The new President, Joseph Duncan, wanted to form a military, but President Kirker was highly popular. He has waited till near the end of his first term to change Kirker's programs and start creating a military. This training camp in Mississippi was hoped to be the first step.

Annother new program was the commission of the first federal railway. Seen here is phase one, covering the capital's state, and making a link to the USA. In time, phase two would be completed, having atleast basic access to every major town in the Federation East of the Mississippi River.

In July, the conflict in Texas came to an end. Due to brave defence by the Texans, Mexico was unable to overcome them. Exausted, Mexico would tolerate, for now, Texas as a rump state. The treaty was harsh, Texas was devided into two halves.

September would be both a bad and good month for Duncan's military program. Two new infantry divisions were to be commissioned. However, while attending, Lester Smith, here of the the revolution, had a heart attack. Though rushed to the nearest hospital, he never recovered.

Near the upcomming aniversery of the Texas-Mexico peace, Texas wished to join the American Alliance (USA and the American Federation). Out of war, Texas was now allowed to join.

On election day, President Duncan won a landslide victory, and most of the minor positions were occupied by Conservative Party memebers. The people were rejoicing in the new military program, as many felt the military close at heart from the revolution. Also, the last of the major economic programs had been completed, and everyone was excited about the new national wealth.

Next update!

The 1839 year start summary shows the Federation have passed 6 million citizens! Still a bit behind USA, who has 10.5 million, and just ranked after Mexico.

The times are pretty quite, untill May of 1840. The USCA breaks up, a dark day for the idea of a Union. In contrast, though, the Federartion and USA are approching new booms times. A sure sign of this is the influx of immigrents. Many, oddly, are from the possessions of the Russian Empire, but none from Russia itself.

Annother sign. Texas wishes to join the Federation. Negotiations are hammered out, but it will be awhile before Texas joins. Plenty of time witch Mexico uses to protest. It does not want a strong prospective enemy to the North.

Just because the military has become a big focus, doesn't mean the economy is perefect. A new factory in Kentucky is prepared, set to open in a year. It will produce glass. Once it is completed, it will make enough glass to make the brewing industry no longer dependant on outside materials. Therefore, next year on this date, the only materials being imported to the Federation will be raw building materials, all industry can fuel itself.

Also, the Democrats continue to rule in the USA, very good for the Federation, as they are both conservative nations. Unfortuantly, when the American Alliance expires in January of 41, Only Texas renews, the USA does not. This has Federation leadership worried.

On August 29, 1841, both the situation with Texas and lack of American Alliance supprt comes to a head. Texas is fully integrated into the Federation, however Mexico quits protesting. Instead it just declares war. This could be very bad for the Federation. It must fight with no allies, and with an army practicaly formed from scratch in the last five years. The only ray of hope is the reserves. 40,000 more troops are ready within a month of mobilization. The only problem... can the Federation hold that long?

Cant see a single one of the pictures, mate.

Must be you because I can. Great updates by the way :D.

The war opens with slave revolts in Texas. Their aims arn't that clear. Many think they hope the Mexicans would set them free. In either case, the area is about to become a battle field, so it probably won't matter. The riot does escalate before the Mexicans arrive, though. Freed slaves join their brothers.

Luckily for the Federation, the top brass had forseen this, and military plans had been made. This would greatly improve the army. About the only thing going for it at this point was, despite how outdated it was, the army was still more advanced then the Mexicans.

The army did a good job of holding untill the reserves were mobilized. The only losses were Federation Texas, and the former capital of Texas was liberated before it could befully occupied! Not only that, but the reserves was a great moral booster. Before, the army in the South was in dissaray, mainly do to lack of organization from getting reinforcements, somtimes doubling the size of a command. By the arrival of the reserves, the retreat was done, and all divisions were organized enough to counter attack.

The 1st battle of San Antonio would go down in history as the end of the begging of the war. Five Federation divisions got the jump one two Mexican with a cavalry section. The defeat of the Mexicans here opened the door for the American Federation to just waltz on down and take large sections of land.

The first conquest of the war was Colorado. After the battle of San Antonio, the bulk of Federation cavalry was sent to take hold of the major centers in Mexican claimed areas. Soon, all of Colorado was held, and it was quickly admited as the 21st Republic. (Texas was the 20th) Another moral booster.

Not even Guatamala allying with Mexico could bring spirits down. What was one tiny little country gonna do anyway, or atleast, that was the major opinion. Well, it didn't really do anything, but it boosted Mexican moral. That, along with freshly trained divisions, ment the Mexican army's resistance was beginning to stiffen. Luckly, Federation gains were enough to convince the United States to reform the American Alliance.

Hey man, don't get dicouraged if things don't just spring up. Somtimes it takes awhile, it did for me, but eventualy things will pick up. ;)

Is it supposed to be like just a gameplay AAR? You might wan't to try adding in some filler if you don't mind suggestions. You know, maby like a story or somthing, talk about politics, issues that are affecting the nation and get more in depth.

There are politics and story in there though... Are people missing it? Anywho, these early times are a bit borring, and I don't have much to write a story about yet. However, the next two or three updates shall be really interesting, and have some real meat to them. Just a small preivew, I have nick named it "The Hard Times" and that will take us up to 1855 when some real interesting things will begin to happen.

And, if I start feeling motivated again, I can get on with writing the events for the first of those.

It often takes a while for a Vicky AAR to 'gel' - happened to mine too. Keep it up, and things will fall into place. :)

(I will try and add more text, as it seems to be what you all desire, though, personaly, I can't stand alot of text, hence my style of tons of pictures, and it atleast is very popular with the HOI2 crowd, witch will be reading this once I convert the save at the end. Another reason is that events will be farther strung out now too, so more text will be used to fill it in)

On December 12, the election was held, off from its usual date of October 1st. The reason was due to all the confusion with the Mexican-Federation war, by now its favorite name. Indeed, even president Ducan forgot to start campaigning, saying "If an event is as important as to keep a candidate away from the people, well I say that is one mighty important event!". All parties agreed all was well, so the election wound up on December 12th. Due to a string of military victories, and the afore mentioned Battle of San Antonio, President Duncan won a landslide again for his second term.

The first main event of the new year is a landing by the USA in Central Mexico. Federation High Command is caught a bit off guard. Luckily, due to current military plans, no less then 5 divisions were nearby. The estemed Federation Cavalry Corps was sent to create a link once a beachead was established. If all went well, command could see a new leader/hero arising from the battle.

It was all for not though. While the Federation did its part, the USA failed to hold the beaches, adn an entire division was lost. Looking back on history, this is ususaly marked as the first nail in the coffin of US-Federation relations. It was in a sad spirit that the cavalry was ordered to move out, and resume capturing towns.

However, not all were sad. President Duncan, and indeed the rest of the Federation had much to be happy about. The latest victories had made the world aware of the Federation, so to speak. Infact, many were now calling it a great power. President Duncan was more skeptical. Here is an excerpt from a letter to a senator from Kentucky.

"A Great Power? Surly they can't be talking of us. We are not even yet 50 years old. Our nation, a nation of farmers and miners, hardly any industry to speak of. What are we then? We are a small nation with an incredible streak of luck. Our army can beat the Mexicans, so what?!? Anyone can beat the Mexicans. No, this is mearly a war time boost, full of glory and profits, but not much esle."

Mexico didn't see it that way. They were being pressured frommany directions. California was threatened. New Mexico, Arizona, and what they legaly owned of Texas were falling or about to fall. Every day troops were griding closer and closer to Mexico City. So, it was in those spirits that Mexico and the Federation met with to talk of peace. The terms were simple, and best so, as the war could drag on for quite a while, both sides could sustain the war if needed. Only two terms were made. One, the border in Texas would be made more reasonable, with the Federation clearly winning. Two, Mexico would recognize the annexation of Colorado by the Federation.

(Map - Red line is pre-war border)

The citizens of the Federation rejoiced. They had just overcome the greatest threat to them since the Revolution. The economy was booming. The Military, though still small and needing replacements, was a proven fighting force, with plenty of talented leaders. Indeed, the acadamy in Chicago was suspeneded, because no more talented leaders were needed.

However, just below the surface, doubts were there. President Duncan wasn't the only one wondering if it was just a war-time boom they felt. And indeed, the Federation was headed for some trying times.

Next time on Room for Two? - The Troubled Times

Nice! Although I myself would have taken a bit more land...planning multiple wars? And a Great Power already...wow.

On the flag-ugliness front, you can ask someone to make you a prettier, shaded one using that design in the Mods forum...

OAM said:
Well, considering how much of the game I've played with it, I don't see much point. Anywho, *cough* *The Troubled Times* should give you some idea of what will happen now.

I can see the pictures fine now. ;)

(Praetorian) said:
I can see the pictures fine now. ;)

Good, never had any problems with them before. Anywho, I'll update after lunch, I think I'll get into the Troubled Times in it. Also, my updates might catch up with my playing here for awhile, as I am currently writing a complex event chain that needs to be done before I can play anymore.

OAM said:
I'm getting less posts of feedback then posts of updates... does anyone really even care about this?
I'm a long time lurker. I've been following your aar since the beginning and hope you stay active with it. I find the whole idea fascinating. This is a very original game idea which I enjoy.

Things that keep me wondering:
-Will the USA and the American Federation remain allies or is a full scale conflict inevitable?
-Will the USA expand into Canada?
-Will both the USA and the American Federation each have a Civil War?
-How far to the west will the American Federation expand seeing that they are not as strong as the real life USA?

Keep up the good work!!!

Gnost said:
I'm a long time lurker. I've been following your aar since the beginning and hope you stay active with it. I find the whole idea fascinating. This is a very original game idea which I enjoy.

Things that keep me wondering:
-Will the USA and the American Federation remain allies or is a full scale conflict inevitable?
-Will the USA expand into Canada?
-Will both the USA and the American Federation each have a Civil War?
-How far to the west will the American Federation expand seeing that they are not as strong as the real life USA?

Keep up the good work!!!

Thank you, though I must say, I'm not that fond of lurkers, it is just no fun for me if I have no one to talk to about it. Anywho, I'll try to answer your questions while trying not to give away to much.

USA Federation Alliance - Well, they have done much for me, and they did sort of invent my nation so so to speak, but they just arn't always there when I need them, and prove a bit unable to do what is needed sometimes. I don't think I'll fight them anytime soon.

Canada - I'll see, my government is quite anti-british, despite trying to be nice.

Civil War - Lets just say I coded something to that effect no less then 5 minutes ago.

How far west - I'm not certain yet. Being on the high right after the war was amazing, but as this update should show, I'm in no condition to fight even the Mexicans a second time round right now.

Now, on with the update. I also ask you to ignore most or, atleast, replace United States with The American Federation when reading event descriptions from now on, I simply did not have the patentce to look up the descriptions in eventtext to change them.

Using the glory and funds the war provided, the government started expansive social programs, for its time. Almost unheard of for a conservative government. It was all apart of a program to attact immigrents. President Duncan realized more people were needed if the Federation was going to be great. Despite having more the four times the land as the USA, the USA was seen as one of the great four of the world, with industry far surpassing the pathetic excuse for industry the Federation had. It seemed to work, though, and soon people were flocking to get in, it would be no time before the Federation had more people then the USA.

As 1845 rolled around, a monumentous challange overcame the Federation. White settlers from the Federation and beyond were still living in Mexican land. Fearing the safty of them, the Federation struck a deal with Mexico. It would buy New Mexico and Arizona for an incredible sum of money, and all non-Mexicans would be allowed to settle there from other parts of Mexico. This would put the Federation deeply in debt, but it would be worth it knowing its citizens were safe.

Or was it, not even with emergency saving procedures could the Federation even generate one pound anymore! The government was in an uproar. Taxes will have to be raised, witch means confirming the people's fears. President Duncan could only hope the people would not riot. This is looked back on as the start of "The Troubled Times"

Earlier that decade, the United States agreeded with Britan over the border in Maine. This opened the way for greater American-European talks. In 1846, The Federation agreed on the border of its Western lands. The Federation had to settle for the 48th parallel, as it was in no condition to argue with Britain. The army was four divisions smaller then durring the Mexican War, and many divisions had less then 2000 men, all a byproduct of The Troubled Times.

The people were putting up with the Conservative Party, for now. President Duncan did not run for reelection. Instead, the Conservate Party candidate was Isaac Johnson. The largly conservative populace accepted this, and the Conservative Party one and landslide once again. Despite this, President Johnson did not heed the warnings of his advisors, and no major policy changes were made. Infact, he set a goal to pay off the national debt by 1855. The people were not happy.

Luckily for the Federation, the USA still cared. It could not just stand by as its neighbor was in economic and political trouble. For the time being, the USA would fully fund the American Alliance, keep other nations off the Federation's back, and economic aid in the form of 5000 a year.

By 1850, the people were in full uproar. But, for being a militaristic nation, they were quite peaceful! Despite the surverys showing 85% of the people confessed being conservative, at the start of the 1850 election camapaign, the Liberal Party Candidate, William Bebb, had 70% of the votes. President Johnson was upset undobutably. He had only served one term, and that seemed not very long. Despite only having two former presidents to compare aginst, one had served 5 terms, and one had served 4 terms. President Johnson decided to go down in history, he would need to erase as much debt as possible. Untill the election, it was full speed ahead erasing debt, as the Liberal Party was sure to ease trade restrictions, he feared the past 5 years of work may have been all for not, and the nation's debt might increase, not decrease. The President thought the only way might be to lower the intrest enough that liberal meddiling couldn't even increase debt. While history may not remeber him that way, by the time of the election, it was indeed erased enough to allow lesser trade restrictions, and even resumption of the FPA (Federal Police Agency) and some of the social programs started in 45.

(In other news, the USA went liberal the same year)

OK, OK, my lurking days are done.

Bummer you couldn't get the 49th parallel as your border. Maybe you could invoke a little manifest destiny? Don't you think some divine force wants you to have the 49th, nay, the 54th parallel as you border? You know you want to.

If you concentrate on industrializing while leaving Mexico alone, I could see there being a Californian republic. That could be cool, three nations occupying what would be the USA.

So could we have a screen shot centered on the west?

Very interesting concept you going on here, keep up the good work.