• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm doing recolored to but not finish here the example :

pics4.jpg
pics1.jpg

Had to install DD again, and as I hate orginal hoI graphics I grabbed this thread and installed all graphics I like back in no time:D

Good that you have put all those useful links

Lord Finnish said:
Had to install DD again, and as I hate orginal hoI graphics I grabbed this thread and installed all graphics I like back in no time:D

Good that you have put all those useful links

Lothos

I had taken a few month break from Doomsday and needed to re-install too. Can you please sticky this? Bebro's work in particular is just amazing and should be at the top of this forum stickied.

Thanks for all your work! :)

IndoEsia45 said:
Yes..i've find it on Stonyroad forum!!

:eek: Guys, Guys, Guys, I really think you should PM these communications because the "hook-cross" and other nazi-emblema are, as you know, forbidden in many at least European countries. I'm no legal professional, but I think these informations shouldn't be put on the "blackboard" of this official forum.
We don't want our favorite forum-site to be shut down just because of that.

Kinseek said:
Hearts of Iron II is a game that lends itself very well to modding, primarily through being rather easily able to make and alter events, scenarios and even graphics. Paradox did a great job with the pictures of hundreds, if not thousands of leaders, ministers, tech-teams and unit portraits. The community continues with the job, and we now have several contributions that raise the quality. Leaders can now come in colors, unit icons can convey the differences in units more thematically and backgrouns can instill the feel of a nation. The aim of this thread is to shine a light at the possibilities that are out there for enhancing the graphics, or rather artwork really, in HoI2.

Examples
(Click images to enlarge)
Default Graphics

The Graphics I use

First things first
Get the Generic Mod Swap Utility. Put it into your HoI2 folder and run it once. It will create a folder named "mods". Inside that you can create additional folders (which will be the names of your mods) and put the different mods into order. Activating any mod with the utility will copy over all the files from the respective mods folder, and take a backup of the original data. Very usefull. Over to the mods then...

GIP or DMP?
There are two major distinct "complete overhaul" mods out there. The Graphical Improvement Project and Design Mod Project . Both of these will replace much of the default black-and-white photos of ministers, leaders, tech-teams and more. I personally prefer GIP (which uses real-life photos for everything) over DMP (which has drawings for tech-teams, combat events, unit pictures and etc, but real ones for leaders/ministers). DMP comes in many packages which also changes map-colors, unit icons and more. What I do is to only use the pictures of leaders and ministers from DMP (by downloading only the packs with those pictures and taking them out from gfx/interface/pics), and everything else from GIP. This gives me color photos of pretty much every leader of the major powers (where DMP has a more complete coverage), but also the IMO higher quality of GIP (but which has not gotten to as many leaders).

I have also started doing some colorizing myself (it`s actually quite easy I found out). I hope they can be included in GIP in the future, but until the next official release of GIP, I provide you with my addition as an add-on. This first release includes a couple of chinese leaders, and a few norwegian ones. Get it here: Kinseeks GIP add-on 0.1

Preview of some of my work:

Improving Map Colors
I didn`t really notice the slight shortcoming at first; but Atruejedi showed that by editing some palette settings or somesuch, the colors can be more vivid and pleasing to the eye. His Sexxicolors mod will do just that. But as much as I feel the Soviet Union has to be red, the US has to be blue. In Sexxicolors Atruejedi opted for the US to be green, which I didn`t fancy. So I changed it to blue. Get my edited version here.

Changing unit icons
It is possible for each division, flotilla and air unit in the game to have its own icon, varying between country and model. Modders out there have greatly added these icons; so now the icon of a chinese militia will differ from a us marine. I think there are two "packs" that stand out here Cpack's Icons and Scytth & Kristoff`s. Both are very high quality. They differ in that Cpack is portrayed from the side in 2d you could say, and describes just the unit while also adding a nice flag, while Scytth & Kristoff`s puts them in a dramatic setting. I personally use Cpacks, but a coin toss could easily convince me to use Scytth & Kristoff`s. I will also give honorable mention to Ostheims German Icons though. These, while sadly being limited only to the Germans, are of extremely high quality. They should go well with Scytth & Kristoff`s. So again; combining stuff is perfectly recommendable to do.

Examples
Cpack______________Scytth & Kristoff_____Ostheim

Great Guide!

One question: How do you color BW-pictures (any link for a photoshop guide or so?)

Glad you people find this usefull.

KleinFaz said:
One question: How do you color BW-pictures (any link for a photoshop guide or so?)
I use "Recolored" by Bertheussen IT. Tutorial here and a small guide with many very nice examples here. Do notice how few lines you actually need to get superb results. The whole process was very much simpler then I would think.

If I create a directory in my Doomsday folder and called it GIP, move all of the GIP files into this directory, and then create a desktop shortcut with the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Doomsday\Hoi2.exe" mod-GIP

Will it work? This way I can easily play both the vanilla and GIP game without copy/pasting each time I want to switch. It also saves HD space.

noxxle said:
If I create a directory in my Doomsday folder and called it GIP, move all of the GIP files into this directory, and then create a desktop shortcut with the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Doomsday\Hoi2.exe" mod-GIP

Will it work? This way I can easily play both the vanilla and GIP game without copy/pasting each time I want to switch. It also saves HD space.

This doesnt seem to work like i thought. Research teams are invisible. Probably some other stuff as well.

JSGME ruined some 4 copies of HoI :mad:

Using ATRUS, I had half my flags and shields deleted, and many AIs.

Now I make one copy for every mod I try out. Takes space, but my PC can take it.

noxxle said:
This doesnt seem to work like i thought. Research teams are invisible. Probably some other stuff as well.
That's because those files need dummies in the regular Vanilla gfx directory in order for it to load. We have to deal with the same issue for CORE, even though we do use moddir exclusively for our own graphics. So we try to install dummy files into the Vanilla setup, provided those files do not actually exist. In DD the tech teams should work in the research screen without dummies, but in the diplomatic screen they will only show if the dummy file is in place as well.