• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(34423)

Paradox Programmer
Sep 17, 2004
Well it is that time of the week already, so we have had to take some time out of our busy schedule to tell you about yet another new feature we have added into Napoleon’s Ambition.

We have added another new interface called war overview. It will display data how your current war is going. We hope to give you two things here. Firstly you can get a much clearer idea of how your war is going, although what should please you all a lot more is that we are also supplying the information that the peace AI uses to decide when to make peace.

dev3.JPG

So at a glance you can see how many troops each side has, what the current war exhaustion and stability of each country and their war capacity. War capacity is a measure of a country’s ability to continue to fight a war. Includes things like manpower reserves and quality of generals. No longer will you wonder why the AI rejected your sensible peace, now you can see at a glance that the AI still has a lot of troops and a large war capacity, so it will think that the war is still there to be won. This will allow you to make much more informed decisions of when to offer and also when to accept peace.

Now onto game options, as you have probably already read we have added a whole host of new game options to allow you to customise EU3 your way. So today we will talk about colonisation options. There are 4 in total, the first is should colonists be free? Handy for those of you who struggle to balance the budget. Then you can determine the size of each colonist (from 100-400), changing this will change the number of colonists you need to found a colonial city. So if you think colonisation is just too many clicks, you can change it. We have also given an option for determining how fast provinces spread, (25-200 years), and also split the option so you can have land and sea provinces spreading separately. So you can sea provinces spread at 25 years and land provinces at 200 years. This means that countries without Quest for the New World can know that the Americas exists, but will be unable to colonise it.

So that wraps it up for this week, look out for the next instalment coming soon.

Interesting stuff with the new war display. Is it simply graphically displaying the process/calculations that the AI already follows or does it entail improvements to this algorithm?

The options thingy will probably appease a lot of people but personally I'm fine with the game setup as it is.

scary...

aberg said:
Well it is that time of the week already, so we have had to take some time out of our busy schedule to tell you about yet another new feature we have added into Napoleon’s Ambition.

We have added another new interface called war overview. It will display data how your current war is going. We hope to give you two things here. Firstly you can get a much clearer idea of how your war is going, although what should please you all a lot more is that we are also supplying the information that the peace AI uses to decide when to make peace.

dev3.JPG

So at a glance you can see how many troops each side has, what the current war exhaustion and stability of each country and their war capacity. War capacity is a measure of a country’s ability to continue to fight a war. Includes things like manpower reserves and quality of generals. No longer will you wonder why the AI rejected your sensible peace, now you can see at a glance that the AI still has a lot of troops and a large war capacity, so it will think that the war is still there to be won. This will allow you to make much more informed decisions of when to offer and also when to accept peace.

Now onto game options, as you have probably already read we have added a whole host of new game options to allow you to customise EU3 your way. So today we will talk about colonisation options. There are 4 in total, the first is should colonists be free? Handy for those of you who struggle to balance the budget. Then you can determine the size of each colonist (from 100-400), changing this will change the number of colonists you need to found a colonial city. So if you think colonisation is just too many clicks, you can change it. We have also given an option for determining how fast provinces spread, (25-200 years), and also split the option so you can have land and sea provinces spreading separately. So you can sea provinces spread at 25 years and land provinces at 200 years. This means that countries without Quest for the New World can know that the Americas exists, but will be unable to colonise it.

So that wraps it up for this week, look out for the next instalment coming soon.

To tell you the truth, this sounds like great news, but I'm also a little scared about it. This type of information is unrealistic, and can easily break the game spirit. Why? Well, an important part of waging war was at that time, and still is, a matter of how much info you know (or don't) about the enemy. With this new system, it will be like knowing "everything" about them. How can you justify knowing their war capacity, for example?

Maybe you can link this new system to the espionage system, I don't know. To be honest, I don't have much problems with the actual system. It feels good to be able to "sense" the enemies' status, without knowing for sure the kind of info that your new system will give for free.

Please rethink this.

Regards, and congratulations for a great game!

rebelito said:
Maybe you can link this new system to the espionage system, I don't know. To be honest, I don't have much problems with the actual system. It feels good to be able to "sense" the enemies' status, without knowing for sure the kind of info that your new system will give for free.

Please rethink this.

Well, according to what I've seen on the forum the last few months, there is hardly NO players that can "sense" the enemies status. As we get dozens upon dozens of threads on "AI is BUGGY!", "I CANT GET PEACE" etc..

I like it, tho it feels a bit gamey...

but gameplay > realism

keep up the good work!

i heard a rumor that the peace AI was goign to be reworked from the ground up for 1.3, or atleast tweaked a tad, can you confirm this?

*** EDIT *** BTW i really like the new interface you have added, it does solve alot of problems people were having with peace. i do have a question about the formula to determin war capacity, if a nation with a port (lets say austria) is at war with a land lockd nation (bohemia) does the navy come into play at all? it doesnt seem like it would since all the battles are fought on land?

I <3 PARADOX.....and JOHAN

Johan said:
Well, according to what I've seen on the forum the last few months, there is hardly NO players that can "sense" the enemies status. As we get dozens upon dozens of threads on "AI is BUGGY!", "I CANT GET PEACE" etc..

Don't mistake silence for failure to understand the subtler dynamics of EUIII.

I like this new interface feature, though I don't like that I get to know exactly how big the enemy army is without effort. Like was suggested, perhaps the numbers shown here can be linked to spy operations or somesuch?

Last edited:
Is there any way to substitute percentage value with a qualitative description. For example, spirit of the enemy (from Jungoist to Defeatist)?
And is there any way to make the size of enemy army go? Or, once again, replace with qualitative description of it relative to yours? Or have it avaliable through spy options?

And I salute you for not following whines of those weaklings crying "ZOMG why can't I make peace?!" and staying firm with the current system!

Johan said:

As long as it can be turned off, I have nothing against it. Such thing can severely hamper the feeling and in MP games it might be too powerful of a weapon.

I think EUIII is going into too noob-friendly direction.

adventchild667 said:
How does that province spreading thing work, i dont get it
Spread of the discoveries.

aberg said:

So at a glance you can see how many troops each side has, what the current war exhaustion and stability of each country and their war capacity. War capacity is a measure of a country’s ability to continue to fight a war. Includes things like manpower reserves and quality of generals.
So in otherwords, if you fight a nation that has a large manpower reserve and good generals, but no provinces to build regiments that use that manpower or those generals, it thinks it can still win?
No longer will you wonder why the AI rejected your sensible peace, now you can see at a glance that the AI still has a lot of troops and a large war capacity, so it will think that the war is still there to be won. This will allow you to make much more informed decisions of when to offer and also when to accept peace.
I also put my hat in for less quantitative info and more qualitative, since seeing these number will only server MP opponents as spys. But more importantly, if we see that they have 4000 infantry left, what will that mean? if we have 4000, will the AI assume it can win, even if those 4000 are on an island that is blockaded and they can't get off of? I thik this info is actually going to explain the problems of the peace AI more clearly.

If what we are seeing is correct, then location of armies is irrelevant, quality of troops is irrelevant, financial reserves are irrelevant, expected future income is irrelevant, etc. Or is that all rolled into war capacity? And what do those war capacity numbers mean? is 100% good, is 60% bad? Can you get above 100%? Can you go below 0%? Does the war capacity of a powerful single province nation "count" as much as a Large nation? for isntance, if that 100% mean Denmark is full in terms of the number of regiments it can field, shouldn't a larger nations % count more? And finally, on what is that percentile based? 100% of what? Should a general with +2 shock count as much as one with +2 manouever? Should a general count more if you have more troops, or does a general have the same value no matter how many troops the nation has.

I ask this because you may have simply swapped one "meaningless" number (the war score) for another(war capacity) If that is true, the threads you see will not be dimished. I appreciate an effort being made to make this easier to understand, but I question whether that goal has been reached. Will War capacity have a roll over help that explains it?

Those Colonisation options look nice.

exactly

Jasmo said:
Don't mistake silence for failure to understand the subtler dynamics of EUIII.

Indeed. I bet the complainers are a minority, compared to the powerful gamers base that can "sense" the enemy mind status... you may think it sounds a little arrogant, but I can asure you that it makes a huge part of the overall feeling of the game... including those moments when the feeling is wrong.

If you link this to the espionage ops, then it may make sense, as it will be a reward for the use of scarce resources... giving the info for free is, as stated before, gamey.

This is very similar to another "common" complain: the undeterministic nature of EU3. Well, that's the goal of a simulation, isn't it? To be "unhistorical"? Yet so "many" complain...

I don't know, it's just my two cents. I like the game very much as it is now, including the whole sense of uncertainty in most aspects.

Keep the good work.

Bowfling44 said:
So in otherwords, if you fight a nation that has a large manpower reserve and good generals, but no provinces to build regiments that use that manpower or those generals, it thinks it can still win? .

nopes.. quite alot more things it considers.

this is great!
but I partially agree with the complaints above, it's a thin line between "too relistic" and "too gamey", and I think this war information thingy should be linked to spies, that would make them even more useful :)

Johan said:

I think this is a good thing. "Security" as we think of it today was virtually unknown in the times covered by the game..., so both sides generally had a pretty good idea of what was happening "on the other side of the hill". Currently, the AI knows all, and the player knows diddly-squat.

I don't see the rest as being much needed, or an improvement (rather have seen the time spent cutting down on the AI's need to cheat), but someone is sure to like it, so good for them.