• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Storey said:
Is there a chance for forming an alliance with Saxony? Assuming you'd want an alliance. ;)

Joe

I will be trying for an alliance, but we'll see whether Saxony wants an alliance..

English Patriot said:
I know! Its sort of nice to see though, it'd wouldn't be as fun without Nemesis's. I am thinking of warring against Austria, just to release Mantua and Venice, under my vassalization of course..:D

yes your right, thats why I want byzantium alive and well :cool:. Sounds like a good idea about austria, that would certainly be a good way to increase your influence Id get myself a casus belli first though.

Some wise moves made there - the Med fleet and cozying up to Saxony. They cannot be far from claiming themselves Germany. Leon as Spain too.

The sun truly is having a hard time setting on your Empire, sir. Well done. :D

theycallmetight - Thats the spirit, although as long as they're protestants I won't need a CB, thanks to good old Deus Vult!

coz1 - I think Saxony only needs Mecklenburg's provinces, and Leon is very almost Spain..

Hopefully the sun won't set on the Empire, or that it would at least rise again!

3rdempirejd0.png

"War is the mother of everything."

-Heraclitus

An Empire of Faith, Part III

The Cast

Georgius I, King of the United Kingdoms, Holy Roman Emperor
Gwydion Brock, Viceroy of New England and Commander of the Aztec war
Henry IX, King of the United Kingdoms, Holy Roman Emperor
Cardinal Frobisher, A leader in the South African conversions

Great Britain was now too far down the road of Imperialism to stop, the victory over Aragon had brought South Africa back to the Empire and with it, a safe port to India, as yet untouched by European civilization, bar the Islands of the Maldives and Ceylon. All around Europe, there were lands open and ready for conquest and exploitation, the treasury of the Empire needed filling and veterans of the European wars needed somewhere to retire to. South New England was filled with both riches and vast land. Only one Native state remained, the Aztec Empire, Britain had fought her previously, like the Zapotec the barbaric Aztec’s were no match for Britain’s muskets and cavalry. In September 1667, Britain invaded the Aztec Empire, the first months were hard going, the British fought a three front war against a numerically superior enemy, unlike the northern native American’s the Aztec’s knew something of the science of fortresses, and many cities had to be put under siege. The British armies spent most of their time either sieging cities or chasing fast moving Aztec armies, after two years of confusing three front warfare, the British conquered the central and western fronts and moved their manpower to the Eastern front, where the remainder of the Aztec armies stood. Although vastly superior in terms of numbers, the relentless advance of the disciplined British armies wore them down and killed many Aztec warriors.

eu3143kj2.png

eu3144nz9.png

However important the acquisition of a Colonial Empire was, to Britain, it did not compare with the chance to gain European land and prestige. On New Years day, the King of Cyprus expired, Cyprus willed that it should enter a Personal Union with Britain, the reasons for this decision were clear, Cyprus was coveted by the giant Byzantium, with a Union under Great Britain, Byzantium would not dare to invade. However, Burgundy, in desperation, denied Cyprus’s decision and declared itself the rightful heir to Cyprus. Whatever reasons lay behind this bizarre outcry, it soon became apparent that Burgundy should have kept quiet. Burgundy had played right into Britain’s hands. For Georgius, Burgundy was the real prize, Cyprus was merely a bonus. The British army, stretched across the Eastern border of France moved into Burgundy, the Burgundians were heavily defeated in Savoy and Piedmont and either fell back or were destroyed.

eu3145zv1.png

henryixzw0.jpg

His Most Catholic Majest, Henry IX, King of the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and France, King of Jerusalem, Lord of New England and Holy Roman Emperor

Georgius I, however would never be King of Cyprus, as the cannon’s roared and breaches were blasted into the walls, King Georgius languished in Paris dying of what is now believed to be lung cancer. On the 9th of November 1669 Georgius was succeeded by his son, Henry, the Prince of Normandy. Henry was crowned Henry IX, King of the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and France. Henry IX was certainly no stranger to government, during his time as the Prince of Normandy he had fought in the Hessian - Saxon war and had commanded the siege of Savoie prior to his fathers death. But alas, he was no administrator, nor a diplomat more of a tough soldier than a King, he was gruff, though not unpleasant to be around. It took Henry IX six more months to finish the war with Burgundy, during which no real combat was fought, only a slow grinding wait as the sieges wore on. In South New England, the British pushed the Aztec’s back, Yucatan and Belize fell to the British and the war looked to be over in both fronts.

eu3146aq8.png

On the 27th of May, 1670, Burgundy agreed to Henry IX’s demands, Henry IX would be crowned King of Cyprus, the province of Piedmont would be annexed to France, Burgundy would remove some of its claims to British territory and finally as a final insult, Burgundy would have to pay reparations to victorious Britain. In December of 1670, the Aztec Empire’s final redoubt fell to the British Colonial Armies. For the Aztec Empire, there would be no negotiating table, no reparations, just annexation, and with it, the endless armies of missionaries and colonists who eventually would push out the natives and settle in their new land. Thus, like the Zapotec before them, the Aztecs vanished from history, only empty cities and sporadic rebellions, crushed by the garrison armies would remind the English colonists that once there was an Aztec Empire.

eu3151ye1.png

The conquest of South Africa had brought two fractious groups into contact with each other, the older inhabitants, the Reformed Protestant Catalan population and the newer Catholic English. Britain had always been fastidiously catholic and quite unforgiving of other religious minorities, the first clash between churches in South Africa came in early 1672 with aggravated assaults and damage to church property on both sides. The South Africa garrison was called in to restore order, Parliament debated the right course of action in the affair, Henry IX, backed by the Princeps party and some of the Anglican party agreed on conversion and eradication of the heretical reformed Church. With Henry IX’s seal of approval, Cardinal Frobisher left for South Africa and began his work converting the Catalans. The heretical Catalans situation was further worsened by the final annexation of Aragon and the unification of Iberia. However, the attempted eradication of the Reformed Church did not go as planned, instead of accepted their allotted faith the Reformist’s fought back and attacked the British guards and Catholic Cardinals. However, Henry IX was not prepared to give concessions to the Heretics. Instead he gave greater funding and wider powers to the Cardinals in South Africa and in
South New England. In a combination of incessant conversions and martial law, South Africa slowly returned to the fold.

eu3152ob6.png

Being such a high profile and expansive nation of repute, Britain was often victim to the machinations of other less stellar Nationstates. Many countries, though most of all, Protestant Austria, were prone to hiring pirates and privateers to infest the British national waters. The constant readiness of the Royal Navy to battle pirates, shuttle men from continent to continent and fight in colonial and European wars gave the sailors of the Royal Navy a genuine superiority in seamanship. British sailors were renowned for their courage, skill and tenacity in combat, as well as their iron stomachs. Indeed, for thirteen years, only the Royal Navy would see any combat, bar a few skirmishes against Aztec rebels. All the while the Royal Navy was constantly under expansion and upgrade. The Army too, was put under reorganized lines and expanded to meet the rising threat in Saxony.

In 1687, only Burgundy stood in the way of a truly united France, perhaps, finishing off Henry IX’s own war against them in 1669, Great Britain declared war on Burgundy, annexation would be the only end for Burgundy. Surrounded and without friends, the Burgundians fought valiantly in protection of their misbegotten independence. The Burgundians were defeated in the only battle of the war, the remnants of the erstwhile defenders locked themselves in the fortress of Savoie to await the British siege. By May 1688, Burgundy came to a quiet end, silently absorbed by Britain.

eu3156do3.png

Henry IX reigned for four more peaceful years. The borders of France were secure and passage to the New World was safe and steady. The Royal Navy continued to expand and more gold flowed into the treasury. Henry IX’s reign had been short but fruitful for the Empire.

Last edited:
Phew, finally got the update up, bloody imageshack though, terrible, absolutely terrible!

How terrible imageshack may be, this update was not. I really like this aar, keep up the good work!

Nikolai said:
How terrible imageshack may be, this update was not. I really like this aar, keep up the good work!

Thanks Nikolai, glad to have you with us on the AAR!

Well done in south africa , mr. woodhouse . Those Calvinists shant have more else to run to . Good show , Jolly Good .

canonized said:
Well done in south africa , mr. woodhouse . Those Calvinists shant have more else to run to . Good show , Jolly Good .

Conquering new lands and bringing the populations into the hands of mother church, that is the concept at the forefront of the Third Empire.

English Patriot said:
The conquest of South Africa had brought two fractious groups into contact with each other, the older inhabitants, the Reformed Protestant Catalan population and the newer Catholic English.

I knew that we were going to cause troubles. And Protestant Catalan heretics... Wonderful... :D :rofl:

Kurt_Steiner said:
I knew that we were going to cause troubles. And Protestant Catalan heretics... Wonderful... :D :rofl:

lol Its really switched around hasn't it? A Catholic England, and a Calvinist Aragon!

English Patriot said:
lol Its really switched around hasn't it? A Catholic England, and a Calvinist Aragon!

Indeed! Would it be possible for you to post your religious map in the next update? I am curious as to the exact boundaries of heathen Protestantism in your game.

Sr. Toledo said:
Indeed! Would it be possible for you to post your religious map in the next update? I am curious as to the exact boundaries of heathen Protestantism in your game.

Of course! Time dependent I may even get one up today!

Pesky little Burgundy. It's a wonder they were even around after all this time. Now he is truly King of Great Britain and France! Well done.

coz1 said:
Pesky little Burgundy. It's a wonder they were even around after all this time. Now he is truly King of Great Britain and France! Well done.

Thank you! It has taken a few centuries to whittle them down!

religionfw8.jpg

Religious Map, Europe Circa 1700

Key

Catholic
Protestant
Reformed
Eastern Orthodox
Islamic

Oh, thank you for posting the map so quickly!

Hmm...What is the official religion of Saxony? Of Leon?
As the Defender of the Faith, are you planning on waging any holy wars against the heathens?

Last edited:
Sr. Toledo said:
Oh, thank you for posting the map so quickly!

Hmm...What is the official religion of Saxony? Of Leon?
As the Defender of the Faith, are you planning on waging any holy wars against the heathens?

No probs!

Saxony, is still catholic strangely enough, Leon is also still catholic, but I'm a bit edgy about both of them, I have thought about it, but really, I think we've reached the point where big gains in Europe are gone, wars are very costly, its much safer to beat up the heathens outside of Europe, India is in my targets, rich lands, high populations, thats the way to go..

Ahh yes India . The Land of St. Thomas . In fact some of the earliest Christian churches can still be found in some parts of India .