• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cirdan said:
I'm willing to bet the autosend will waste your merchants sending them one at a time...that's why the AI never can rival your trade empire, it just sends them one a t a time so it only annoys you by driving your merchants away, without placing its own. And if the autosend function works like the AI, then we are doomed (not really--it will just be useless).

I concur. It would be neat to set a threshold of X amount of merchants to send at the same time.

Before I send merchants anywhere, I consider all of the following:

1.) How high is my placement chance?
2.) Are there enough merchants in the CoT for whom I have a realistic chance of displacing them (competing them away)? If there are a few where my chances are 50%+, it's worth it.
3.) How many merchants do I have to send to get one placed? That's usually either 3 or 5.
4.) How much does it cost me to send that number of merchants? Will I need that money for other purposes? Will I reach 0 in my treasury before the end of the year if I send them?
5.) Only then do I make the decision to send.

Auto-send will be useful the moment it can take all these considerations into account. Even better would be an AI that can take all these considerations into account.

Paradox is well aware of the problem sending just one merchant. I seem to recall that they fixed the feature in EU2 to send 2 at a time. So I assume they won't go back to sending just 1.

Hive said:
I seem to recall that they fixed the feature in EU2 to send 2 at a time. So I assume they won't go back to sending just 1.

They did it for EU2? IMHO, in EU2 there was always one merchant send, or did I miss something??

If I had to place a bet, I would expect the old one-merchant-at-a-time strategy to be implemented. But hopefully Paradox will surprise us with a real improvement... :)

It'd be interresting to implement a culture map. It don't have to be map showing all the cultures, just like in diplomacy - those that you accept, and those you don't. Some number of provinces (or percentage) with given culture would be also very usefull.

vazco said:
It'd be interresting to implement a culture map. It don't have to be map showing all the cultures, just like in diplomacy - those that you accept, and those you don't. Some number of provinces (or percentage) with given culture would be also very usefull.
Great idea! :)

MacroEconomics said:
Any chance we can get support for multiple processors in Nappy:EU3? For many of us have the extra CPU cycles on tap and ready to go.

Vlad_Dracula said:
Your multi core processor does this automatically with every piece of code it executes, the only thing extra that can be done by the programmers is to optimize the code for even greater efficiency.

This is not true. Multi-core processors can NOT automatically split up the execution of every piece of code between its cores. Only the software developer can do this by writing multi-threaded software. EU III can only run on a single core.

Vlad_Dracula said:
I have hoi2 installed on a laptop with a 1.7ghz core 2 duo, and the same game runs about 3 times faster on the laptop than on my desktop pentium 3.4 ghz, because the dual cores in the core 2 duo are automatically splitting workload.

There are reasons why your laptop runs faster other than the fallacy that its multi-core processor automatically executes EU III on both of its cores. The first is that the Core2 Duo processor is more efficient than the old Pentium IV processor. A Core2 Duo running at a lower clock speed can outperform a Pentium IV running at a higher clock. The actual performance difference, of course, depends on the actual clock speeds and the particular software.

Second, even though EU III can only run on a single processor core, other things can run the other core. This includes parts of windows and the 3D graphics drivers that EU II is using. Also other “back-ground” processes will use the second core. Thus EU III will get a higher percentage of a processor core on a multi-core processor than on a single core processor.

Lastly, your laptop probably has some better components than your older desktop. It may have more or faster RAM. It probably has a newer chipset which is faster and possibly has a faster FSB.

Vlad_Dracula said:
If the game was optimized for multiple cores it would run even faster. So in a sense you're right, they should optimize for multiple cores, as these games are cpu intensive and many people have dual core or more processors.

Unfortunately, modifying software to utilize multiple processor cores is not an easy task. Even writing a program from scratch to be multithreaded is more difficult, time consuming and costly. It is also "bleeding edge" technology for game developers. I very much doubt that Paradox has the resources to do this now.

Ask yourself this, would your rather have Paradox speed its limited time and resources on patching existing games to utilize multi-core processors or would you rather have them work on new games, expansion packs, and enhancements to existing games?

One thing I would like to see in NA is a rework of the dynamic ruler system. More specificly the personal unions and inheretage. In real life did msot personal unions not end after thr current kings regin, but rather over several kings. Inheratage did often not happen like in EUIII, that was mostly if you had to do with hapsburg, but rather as an effect of long substanible personal unions. I would like to see PU slightly rarer, but longer, direct inheretage very much rarer, and inheretage after a long PU possible and slightly common. It would also be neat if you can DoW the senior partner of the PU, if you don't want to be stuck with them for a long time. The AI should be thought to fight hard to force the nation back in the PU, if it can and it is reasonible.

Pishtaco said:
I don't get the merchant thing. If no one ever sends single merchants, why not just change the game so that sending one merchant has the same effect as sending two does now?
I don't know about EU3, but in EU2 it was perfectly possible to successfully trade sending one merchant at a time, provided you sent them to slots already open. When you spotted a COT with an open slot, you sent in one merchant to take that place. You used up a lot less merchants (and had lower placement costs) and weren't getting relationship hits (and possible bans) from the nation the bumped merchant belonged to. It was perfectly possible to keep 5 merchants in a decent number of COT.

Frankly, I don't matter how trading is done as it is quite mediocre represented already. I want my trading done automatically, as it then is done in the same way as the AIs, and I don't need anotehr area where they can lose on me anyway.

Pishtaco said:
I don't get the merchant thing. If no one ever sends single merchants, why not just change the game so that sending one merchant has the same effect as sending two does now?

That would be a better solution for the game engine, IMHO. If a merchant successfully competes against another one, he should be able to take his place directly. If the competing chance would be halfed, everything should work as it is right now, but the auto-send function could then really be useful.

Gwalcmai said:
I don't know about EU3, but in EU2 it was perfectly possible to successfully trade sending one merchant at a time, provided you sent them to slots already open. When you spotted a COT with an open slot, you sent in one merchant to take that place. You used up a lot less merchants (and had lower placement costs) and weren't getting relationship hits (and possible bans) from the nation the bumped merchant belonged to. It was perfectly possible to keep 5 merchants in a decent number of COT.
That's correct but in EUII it took a month for your merchant to get to any COT. This has been changed in EUIII which means you will have to be very lucky for the slot to stay open for the three months it will take your merchant to get to Japan. You could of course hope for the AI to open up another slot while you are on your way but that would be blind luck.

Pishtaco said:

ZykloNuk said:
That would be a better solution for the game engine, IMHO. If a merchant successfully competes against another one, he should be able to take his place directly. If the competing chance would be halfed, everything should work as it is right now, but the auto-send function could then really be useful.

Something I've been arguing for for a long time. Check my anti-autosend rants (if you can find 'em - lots of ancient autosend threads, haven't been on forums for ages) of a few months ago.

Snake IV said:
Frankly, I don't matter how trading is done as it is quite mediocre represented already. I want my trading done automatically, as it then is done in the same way as the AIs, and I don't need anotehr area where they can lose on me anyway.

I agree. The current system is terrible. It's like something out of an 80s arcade game, flinging merchants around like they're Pong balls or something.

I have an suggestion conserning merchants. Currently sending merchants is tedious, but this auto-send feature will undoubtedly improve that.

My suggestion would be merchant tradition. We have military tradition, but in my opinion merchant nations used to have the practical know-how of trading also. Which made them better in trading than the ordinary nations - Trading tradition. It would make trading even more apealing.

When you send out merchants they should gain experience and that experience should accumulate in trading research. The more merchants you send the more experience is gained. You can alternate between foreign COT too, Mercants in a Islamic or Far Eastern COT accumulate different experience which can give a nation new knowledge of trading. Also maybe the COT-s host nations trading experience could affect the experience gaining. If it's higher the merchants there would accumulate more experience.

If the next level in trading knowledge is reacched, the experience accumulated would reset.