• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(34423)

Paradox Programmer
Sep 17, 2004
Hello.
This is the first Dev-diary for the Napoleon expansion for the EU3. I will not go through a feature list since one has already been posted on the forum. I will however talk about what we are developing at the moment and give you a screenshot. So what have we been doing the last month, besides drinking coffee and surfing the Internet?

The new feature that I personally like the most is the feature to auto-send merchants. I will now try to do a short explanation of it. All COTs can be given a priority, there are four different priorities, high, medium low and don’t send merchants to that cot. The algorithm will first send merchant to the COTs with the high priority and when all the high-priority COTs are full it will start to send merchants to the medium priority COTs. There will be times when you just don’t want or send merchants (like if you are in the middle of a do or die war). We have added a button that will pause the sending of merchants (but keep your preferences intact). So that you don’t have to go through all the CoTs and set the priority to zero and then when you are ready to send more merchants again go through the CoTs again.

dev1.JPG

We have implemented another new trade feature as well. No longer are the world’s markets ready to take your merchants. Now all CoTs not in your religious group and in a different continent will be closed to your merchants until you open them, the exception is Pagans whose markets are always open. To pursue the lucrative overseas trade you must either use war or diplomacy to convince the owner’s of the Trade Centres to open up to your merchants. Should you succeed, you and only you will have access to the trade there until someone else manages to open the markets. If you are first to the Far East, then there money to be made.

Me like :)

This means I might actually start using merchants again, nice.

Zakath said:
Me like :)

This means I might actually start using merchants again, nice.

What he said.
icon14.gif

This seems really interesting... :)

But will the auto-send function send the merchants one at a time? Or is it possible to have an option to, say, send them 3, 4 or 5 at once?

aberg said:
Hello.
This is the first Dev-diary for the Napoleon expansion for the EU3. I will not go through a feature list since one has already been posted on the forum.

Do you mean the link that was posted or was a listed posted here too?

Anyway, looks pretty good :)

frpe02 said:

But will the auto-send function send the merchants one at a time? Or is it possible to have an option to, say, send them 3, 4 or 5 at once?
I'm willing to bet the autosend will waste your merchants sending them one at a time...that's why the AI never can rival your trade empire, it just sends them one a t a time so it only annoys you by driving your merchants away, without placing its own. And if the autosend function works like the AI, then we are doomed (not really--it will just be useless).

aberg said:
If you are first to the Far East, then there money to be made.
This will spice things up. :D ;)

Cirdan said:
I'm willing to bet the autosend will waste your merchants sending them one at a time...that's why the AI never can rival your trade empire, it just sends them one a t a time so it only annoys you by driving your merchants away, without placing its own. And if the autosend function works like the AI, then we are doomed (not really--it will just be useless).

Even if auto-send merchants work as poorly as in EU2 (I'd assume they improve it though), I'd still prefer using that above having to place them myself in a tense multifront war in MP, where you can't pause.

But I suppose sending them yourself will still be preferred for SP.

Bad Graphics

On another note, those color bar priority graphics look awful.
How about an "H", "M", or "L" in green, yellow, or red lettering in an elegant font that is sized from big to medium to small according to the priority?
I can also settle for full-colored circles that look 3D like the nation shields.

frpe02 said:

You could use the new pause-auto option to save up the desired number of merchants, then unpause -auto, to send, then pause-auto to save up new merchants.

Esben

Sounds good to me :)

esbenmf said:
You could use the new pause-auto option to save up the desired number of merchants, then unpause -auto, to send, then pause-auto to save up new merchants.

Esben

Yeah, but that seems like almost the same amount of clicking as without auto send merchants. I'd really like an option to send merchants in batches instead of one at a time. And in my opinion it wouldn't be to hard to implement either. (from my position as non-programmer :) )

Jayavarman said:
On another note, those color bar priority graphics look awful.
How about an "H", "M", or "L" in green, yellow, or red lettering in an elegant font that is sized from big to medium to small according to the priority?
I can also settle for full-colored circles that look 3D like the nation shields.

"H", "M" and "L" work in English, but what about Swedish, or Spanish, or Polish? Graphics make the developers job easier.

spikebrennan said:
"H", "M" and "L" work in English, but what about Swedish, or Spanish, or Polish? Graphics make the developers job easier.

It works in Swedish as well :D

But I agree that the way it looks now isn't that appealing to the eye... Maybe they could just color code it( green=high, red=low).

Last edited:
aberg said:
The new feature that I personally like the most is the feature to auto-send merchants. I will now try to do a short explanation of it. All COTs can be given a priority, there are four different priorities, high, medium low and don’t send merchants to that cot. The algorithm will first send merchant to the COTs with the high priority and when all the high-priority COTs are full it will start to send merchants to the medium priority COTs.

What does this mean? IT will send one at a time (sounds like it) until you have 5 merchants in a site? If you can have monopolies will it always try to get 6? Do the monopoly holders always get targeted like they do on 1.2.1? How does it determine which equal priorty CoT to send to? random, or first in list?

There will be times when you just don’t want or send merchants (like if you are in the middle of a do or die war). We have added a button that will pause the sending of merchants (but keep your preferences intact). So that you don’t have to go through all the CoTs and set the priority to zero and then when you are ready to send more merchants again go through the CoTs again.

Can this option be used to "store up" 2 or more merchants in order to multi send them? Does the AI instantly send, or send at the first of the month?