+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Napoleon Dev-diary #1 - 9th of May 2007

DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3

Napoleon Dev-diary #1 - 9th of May 2007

Hello.
    This is the first Dev-diary for the Napoleon expansion for the EU3. I will not go through a feature list since one has already been posted on the forum. I will however talk about what we are developing at the moment and give you a screenshot. So what have we been doing the last month, besides drinking coffee and surfing the Internet?

The new feature that I personally like the most is the feature to auto-send merchants. I will now try to do a short explanation of it. All COTs can be given a priority, there are four different priorities, high, medium low and don’t send merchants to that cot. The algorithm will first send merchant to the COTs with the high priority and when all the high-priority COTs are full it will start to send merchants to the medium priority COTs. There will be times when you just don’t want or send merchants (like if you are in the middle of a do or die war). We have added a button that will pause the sending of merchants (but keep your preferences intact). So that you don’t have to go through all the CoTs and set the priority to zero and then when you are ready to send more merchants again go through the CoTs again.

We have implemented another new trade feature as well. No longer are the world’s markets ready to take your merchants. Now all CoTs not in your religious group and in a different continent will be closed to your merchants until you open them, the exception is Pagans whose markets are always open. To pursue the lucrative overseas trade you must either use war or diplomacy to convince the owner’s of the Trade Centres to open up to your merchants. Should you succeed, you and only you will have access to the trade there until someone else manages to open the markets. If you are first to the Far East, then there money to be made.

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

Hmm, awfully interesting .
    I play eu MP. So should you...

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Rest in Peace, Daniel Auby

200k clubA Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILegio
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPirates of Black Cove
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Me like

This means I might actually start using merchants again, nice.
    If you call that a successful plan, never bring me along on a failed plan!

"..no captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy." - Lord Nelson

Register your game to make the Gods of Paradox happy, and you get shiny hats too!

Take my advice. I don't use it anyway.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakath
    Me like

This means I might actually start using merchants again, nice.
    What he said.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Europa Universalis IV

This seems really interesting...

But will the auto-send function send the merchants one at a time? Or is it possible to have an option to, say, send them 3, 4 or 5 at once?
    Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    Oscar Wilde

Lex Superior
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Sounds good. Really good. I'll be looking forward to seeing these new features in action.
    Birth of Empires - a work in progress 1066-1820 mod for Europa Universalis IV

MM Dev Team
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

Veeeery Good!!!!!
    == MAGNA MUNDI ==

PAY GOLD,
    SHED BLOOD,
    INSTILL FEAR,
    PROMISE HOPE

HISTORY IS YOURS!

DiplomacyDivine WindFor the MotherlandEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

I want it now.
    Snake IV used to be a regular, but not anymore. You might, however, come across him at rare occasions, but that is so seldom you'll manage.

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by aberg
    Hello.
    This is the first Dev-diary for the Napoleon expansion for the EU3. I will not go through a feature list since one has already been posted on the forum.
    Do you mean the link that was posted or was a listed posted here too?

Anyway, looks pretty good
    Relentless madman.

Quote Originally Posted by frpe02

But will the auto-send function send the merchants one at a time? Or is it possible to have an option to, say, send them 3, 4 or 5 at once?
    I'm willing to bet the autosend will waste your merchants sending them one at a time...that's why the AI never can rival your trade empire, it just sends them one a t a time so it only annoys you by driving your merchants away, without placing its own. And if the autosend function works like the AI, then we are doomed (not really--it will just be useless).

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLegioEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Mount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

If you are first to the Far East, then there money to be made.
    This will spice things up.

Sounds very interesing.

Lex Superior
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Cirdan
    I'm willing to bet the autosend will waste your merchants sending them one at a time...that's why the AI never can rival your trade empire, it just sends them one a t a time so it only annoys you by driving your merchants away, without placing its own. And if the autosend function works like the AI, then we are doomed (not really--it will just be useless).
    Even if auto-send merchants work as poorly as in EU2 (I'd assume they improve it though), I'd still prefer using that above having to place them myself in a tense multifront war in MP, where you can't pause.

But I suppose sending them yourself will still be preferred for SP.
    Birth of Empires - a work in progress 1066-1820 mod for Europa Universalis IV

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLegioEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Mount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Bad Graphics

On another note, those color bar priority graphics look awful.
    How about an "H", "M", or "L" in green, yellow, or red lettering in an elegant font that is sized from big to medium to small according to the priority?
    I can also settle for full-colored circles that look 3D like the nation shields.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by frpe02

You could use the new pause-auto option to save up the desired number of merchants, then unpause -auto, to send, then pause-auto to save up new merchants.

Esben

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Sounds good to me
    NEWSFLASH: If you ever said "It's called EUROPA Universalis" as sole justification for blatant misrepresentation of the RoW: you're likely on my ignore list.
    Age of Discovery: The World beyond Europe
    30 native hordes in North America, warring city states in Mexico: a mod about the world 15th century Europe was about to encounter...
    KIA by the Prix in BlueEmu's Ad Astra, 2nd character underway.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by esbenmf
    You could use the new pause-auto option to save up the desired number of merchants, then unpause -auto, to send, then pause-auto to save up new merchants.

Esben
    Yeah, but that seems like almost the same amount of clicking as without auto send merchants. I'd really like an option to send merchants in batches instead of one at a time. And in my opinion it wouldn't be to hard to implement either. (from my position as non-programmer )
    Oscar Wilde

Attractive Nuisance spikebrennan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jayavarman
    On another note, those color bar priority graphics look awful.
    How about an "H", "M", or "L" in green, yellow, or red lettering in an elegant font that is sized from big to medium to small according to the priority?
    I can also settle for full-colored circles that look 3D like the nation shields.
    "H", "M" and "L" work in English, but what about Swedish, or Spanish, or Polish? Graphics make the developers job easier.

Quote Originally Posted by spikebrennan
    "H", "M" and "L" work in English, but what about Swedish, or Spanish, or Polish? Graphics make the developers job easier.
    It works in Swedish as well

But I agree that the way it looks now isn't that appealing to the eye... Maybe they could just color code it( green=high, red=low).
    Last edited by frpe02; 09-05-2007 at 21:04.
    Oscar Wilde

The new feature that I personally like the most is the feature to auto-send merchants. I will now try to do a short explanation of it. All COTs can be given a priority, there are four different priorities, high, medium low and don’t send merchants to that cot. The algorithm will first send merchant to the COTs with the high priority and when all the high-priority COTs are full it will start to send merchants to the medium priority COTs.
    What does this mean? IT will send one at a time (sounds like it) until you have 5 merchants in a site? If you can have monopolies will it always try to get 6? Do the monopoly holders always get targeted like they do on 1.2.1? How does it determine which equal priorty CoT to send to? random, or first in list?

There will be times when you just don’t want or send merchants (like if you are in the middle of a do or die war). We have added a button that will pause the sending of merchants (but keep your preferences intact). So that you don’t have to go through all the CoTs and set the priority to zero and then when you are ready to send more merchants again go through the CoTs again.
    Can this option be used to "store up" 2 or more merchants in order to multi send them? Does the AI instantly send, or send at the first of the month?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast