• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
trekaddict(1): None at all! :)

Kampf_Machen: The only reason that invading Spain would make any sense would be to get at Gibraltar and close the Med to the British. Of course, the payback will be very satisfying.

dublish: Unfortunately my howls of frustrated anger cannot be transmitted over the internet. ;) I would attempt to defend myself, but with the Bulgarian front progressing slowly I think I'll keep a low profile.

trekaddict(2): Thank you.

Too true. Congradulations on thirteen hundred posts. Bulgaria, while a small country, can be a bugger to take out with all those mountains. Hello Luftwaffe and it's Sturzkampfflugzeuge (Stukas).

Kampf_Machen said:
Too true. Congradulations on thirteen hundred posts. Bulgaria, while a small country, can be a bugger to take out with all those mountains. Hello Luftwaffe and it's Sturzkampfflugzeuge (Stukas).

Thanks. In terms of numbers, I only have a slight advantage over the Bulgarians who are defending a narrow front that runs through mountainous terrain. The Luftwaffe will indeed play a large part in all of this.

Next update later today.

germanflakinrussia3bac3bf3.jpg

German anti-aircraft gun on the German-held side of the Maritsa River

The month of March 1940 was proving to be a distressing one for Axis forces. By late March Generalfeldmarschall Hausser had managed to push his forces as far as the banks of the Maritsa River near the city of Plovdiv, but he had failed to effect a crossing and the city remained in Bulgarian hands. The entire front line had, in fact, changed little since the opening moves of the Bulgarian Campaign in late February. The defensive line that the Bulgarians had prepared in their country's mountainous interior was proving to be a very hard nut to crack and Tsar Boris III a much more capable enemy that the Germans had anticipated.

765430043bd1d416tp3.jpg

Tsar Boris III of Bulgaria

The Germans under Hausser were also facing another serious difficulty in addition to the difficult terrain and the tenacity of the Bulgarian defenders. In early March, Bulgaria had entered into an alliance with Great Britain. Though the British and their allies could not send troops to aid the Bulgarians, they were able to send support in the form of air power. By mid-March, several squadrons of British and Allied bombers had arrived in Varna and begun hammering the German positions. As most of Germany's fighter arm was positioned in the west at that time, the Allied air campaign in Bulgaria was able to achieve devastating results.

lancastersof207sqn3bbbdid9.jpg

British Lancasters in flight above Bulgaria

While March was difficult for Germany, it was proving to be down right disastrous for Italy. Italian forces in the Balkans had initially advanced into Greece, having captured Ioannina and Edessa. However, by late March, the Italians had suffered several defeats which saw them pushed out of Greek territory. Before the Italian Army could recover from these setbacks, Greek forces crossed the border in the former Kingdom of Yugoslavia and captured Skopje. Wheeling northwest, the Greeks were now threatening to seize the old Albanian capital of Tirana and trap 70,000 Italian troops in southern Albania.

With the Germans halted and the Italians reeling, only Greece's refusal to enter into an alliance with Britain seemed to be preventing a complete Axis disaster in the Balkans. If Greece had joined the Allied powers, it would have given Allied forces the ability to land troops in Greece and turn the Balkans into a major front in the war against the Axis. Greece's reluctance to join the Allies stemmed from the hope that they could come to a reasonable peace with the Axis powers. The Greeks knew that if they did join the Alliance, Greece would be the main battlefield between the belligerents and they feared that the British would simply not be able to send them enough support to prevent the Germans from overrunning Greece as they had so many other countries. The Greeks would attempt to hold the line against the Germans while inflicting a major and humiliating defeat on the Italians that would force them to the peace table.

Though the Greeks did not seem as if they would join the Allies, Germany's war leaders were well aware of what the consequences would be should they change their minds. Hitler sent a message to Hausser insisting that Greece be defeated at the earliest opportunity. When Hausser sent back a reply that he simply could not spare enough men from the Bulgarian Front to effect a quick and successful invasion of Greece, Hitler reluctantly made a decision that was to have far reaching consequences. Throughout the beginning of 1940, the OKW had been massing troops near Warsaw for reasons unknown outside the closed doors of Hitler's conference room. Even the commanding officers of the troop formations sent to Poland had received no reason for the move, though speculation was rampant. Now, two of these formations suddenly received new orders. The XII. Armee and II. Motorisiert Armee were now headed for Gorna Dzhumaya in southern Bulgaria to join up with General von Manstein's II. Panzerarmee. The hope was that this force, possibly to be joined by Rommel's I. Panzerarmee should they not be needed to bail out the Italians in southern Yugoslavia, would overwhelm the Greeks and force their quick surrender.

rodolfograziani3c1b2511mg5.jpg

Rodolfo Graziani- Commander of Italian forces in Africa

As bad as things were going for Italy in the Balkans, they were much worse in Africa. After capturing Tobruk in late February, British forces had pressed on into Mechili and defeated an Italian force in Barca. This move trapped 40,000 Italian troops in Derna who surrendered in early March. Continuing along the coast, British forces dealt a severe defeat to Italian commander Rodolfo Graziani in Bengazi on March 15, 1940. Following the defeat, Graziani gave the order for what remained of his demoralized force to retreat to Tripoli where he hoped that reinforcements would be waiting for him.

italiantanks3bbcbbd1gr0.jpg

Italian armored column retreating toward Tripoli

Despite the Italian collapse in Africa and the serious situation in the Balkans, Hitler and his generals were actually drawing up plans for a further expansion of the war, one not tied to the mysterious troop build up in Poland. Back on February 16, the German supply ship Altmark had been corned in neutral Norwegian waters by the British destroyer, HMS Cossack. The Altmark, while claiming to be on commercial business, was carrying in it's hold 300 POWs captured by the KMS Graf Spee. With three vessels of the Norwegian Navy looking on, British sailors boarded the Altmark and freed the prisoners, killing four and wounding five members of the Altmark's crew in the process. The attack raised deep concerns in Germany about Norwegian neutrality. If Norway was to join the Allies, or if the Allies were to cease to respect Norway's neutrality, Germany's precious supply of iron ore could be endangered. In the aftermath of the "Altmark Incident", as the episode became known, Hitler instructed his generals to draw up plans for an invasion of Norway and Denmark(the invasion of Denmark being necessary in order to set up a staging ground for the invasion of Norway).

The plan, Unternehmen Weserübung, was ordered implemented on March 24, 1940.

Hardraade said:
German anti-aircraft gun on the German-held side of the Maritsa River
Throughout the beginning of 1940, the OKW had been massing troops near Warsaw for reasons unknown outside the closed doors of Hitler's conference room. Even the commanding officers of the troop formations sent to Poland had received no reason for the move, though speculation was rampant.

Methinks something is rotten in the state of Denmark! (not Weserübung)

I also have a slight suspicion as to why they are massed there... Clearly to guard against any Soviet Attacks as Hitler would *never* violate the treaty.

:D

Finally it seems that the North is going to have its own party... I thought that Hitler would want to finish the Bulgarian issue first. Even the Greek one. Well, time will see.

slokiller said:
Oh that Hitler always adding more irons into the fire.

Can't wait to see Otto and Panzararmme.1 kick some greek butt.
Otto might not be there, he's testing out the Tiger after all.

All those troops in Poland though, what about Spain? Man, you're going to have a lot to occupy.

Seems that the Fuhrer is breaking all the rules of warfare.....War in Bulgaria, Greece, up north in Scandavia, and it seems (if I read between the lines correctly) about to happen on the dreaded Eastern front with Russia....

How big is the Wehrmacht by the way?? I like the way Germany always tries to take on the Entire World....hahahahha

KLorberau

TheHyphenated1 said:
Poor, unsuspecting Scandinavia. Where is the Graf Spee hunting these days?

The bottom of the south Atlantic I presume?

TheHyphenated1 said:
Was it sunk in this AAR? If so, I somehow missed that :eek:o ...

No idea myself actually, but in the absence of evidence to the contrary thats what I presumed.

trekaddict said:
No idea myself actually, but in the absence of evidence to the contrary thats what I presumed.
Why the South Atlantic? I bet it was sunk by the Spanish Navy in the Bay of Biscay.

OK, I'll stop now...

dublish said:
Why the South Atlantic? I bet it was sunk by the Spanish Navy in the Bay of Biscay.

OK, I'll stop now...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

trekaddict(1): Indeed. They are there simply to bolster the defenses in Poland and conduct maneuvers. Any thoughts otherwise are false. ;)

Kurt Steiner: I would have liked to, but Weserubung fired before I had defeated them. Oh well, I can take them all!

slokiller: I. Panzerarmee will indeed be engaging the Greeks, but without Otto.

HKslan: Correct, Otto is still in Germany. It is a lot to occupy, but that's what my ridiculous store of manpower is for right?

KLorberau: Why have a war with two fronts when you can have one with four? ;) Germany needs to take on the whole world in order to get a challenge.

TheHyphenated1: The Graf Spee is currently attached to the Nordsee Flotte and is patrolling the entrance to the Baltic.

trekaddict(2): No, she's safe and sound right now.

TheHyphenated1(2): Rumors of her demise have been greatly exaggerated.

trekaddict(3): The only ship I've lost so far was the KMS Deutschland, which was sunk off the coast of England.

dublish: I would be upset by this constant needling if it wasn't so funny. :)

trekaddict(4): You are, of course, encouraging him.

The next update will be up before the end of the week.

Hardraade said:
trekaddict(3): The only ship I've lost so far was the KMS Deutschland, which was sunk off the coast of England.

That's a mite bit ominous, nee?
Good update, if a little short.
I would very much like to see some Skorzeny/Helmut covert operations in Greece. You know... to eliminate any 'communist elements' in the country. Maybe have Otto (when he finishes testing the 'Tiger') and the gang make a mad dash into Athens at to meet the uproarious cheers of Greek fascists as the liberators of the Hellans from democratic backwardness. :D

It would also be nice if you could cover the naval aspects of the war from time to time.

Mind you that the Greeks were themselves a fascist nation in the post war years. :)
Better the enlightened fascism of Helmut than the wicked communism of... some communist guy. ;)